The City Arcana [3.5][Mature][Dark]

moritheil

First Post
Forgot to add to the last post - druids are welcomed in Arcana. It is they who are uncomfortable with the city, rather than the other way around. There is some anti-clerical sentiment, but for the most part this is aimed at actual clerics of Fa, not all divine magic.

On another note: I don't want to encourage this sort of thing too much, but if we have people dead set on playing Mystic Theurge, I will allow Precocious Apprentice to open up earlier entry. Is there anyone who would like this?

It works thus: take Mage 1 with Prec App, thereby enabling you to cast a 2nd level arcane spell. Take three levels of cleric or four of favored soul, and become capable of casting 2nd level divine spells. Take the necessary skills. Enter Mystic Theurge. Since Mystic Theurge only has 10 levels pre-epic, you are essentially just front-loading the MT levels onto your character, which may be of importance in a low-level campaign.

moritheil

First Post
I have reviewed the Mystic Knight and redistributed the damage reduction over levels 1-19. This means it now starts with 1 point of damage reduction, which should greatly enhance low-level playability without changing the overall power of the class. Since DR does not stack, this feature cannot be abused by multiclassing with other classes that grant DR.

I also made one or two tweaks for thematic purposes - the class now has a weak version of evasion, since it ought to be somewhat resistant to spells. The capstone ability has also been clarified. There are now no dead levels whatsoever (except perhaps level 14 - but then, 4th level spells are gained at that level.)

Again, no one has to play the Mystic Knight, but at the same time I don't want to offer something that is unplayable.

Leif

Adventurer
Are you still recruiting? The Precocious Apprentice/Mystic Theurge deal sounds very intriguing to me..... (Also sounds like something I wouldn't be able to get away with in some games, which makes it all the more inviting!)

pathfinderq1

First Post
Just wanted to double-check one detail before I start posting build stuff.

By "any official" books, does that include setting-specific books? Specifically, as a psionic character, I'm looking for access to some of the feats in Secrets of Sarlona (Mind Mask at level 3 and Tashalatora at level 6). With those available, I have a Monk (future Psychic Warrior)- if those are not available, I have Psion (kineticist, a standard "blaster"). Both are elans, refugees from Purge-destroyed citadels.

moritheil

First Post
Leif said:
Are you still recruiting? The Precocious Apprentice/Mystic Theurge deal sounds very intriguing to me..... (Also sounds like something I wouldn't be able to get away with in some games, which makes it all the more inviting!)

Go for it!

By "any official" books, does that include setting-specific books? Specifically, as a psionic character, I'm looking for access to some of the feats in Secrets of Sarlona (Mind Mask at level 3 and Tashalatora at level 6). With those available, I have a Monk (future Psychic Warrior)- if those are not available, I have Psion (kineticist, a standard "blaster"). Both are elans, refugees from Purge-destroyed citadels.

Hm, I'm not actually familiar with those feats. However, generally, yes. If the feat involves some sort of downside that would not occur in this setting, I would need to rethink it.

(You'll note, for example, that I suggested a Regional Feat from FR earlier in this thread.)

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
I can send along a full write-up for the feats, if you would like. In summary, Mind Mask works as a screen against various forms of detection (user seems to be Neutral, non-magical and non-psionic). Tashalatora, which requires the monastic training feat (permits monk multiclassing with one specific class) allows the user to stack monk levels with one psionic class for some monk abilities.

moritheil

First Post
Reminder: We are starting next week, so this weekend I have to review all sheets and approve people! Therefore, all sheets MUST be finalized tomorrow to give me a chance to review them Sunday. Thanks :D

How would you feel about an elf Druid who has both Spontaneous Rejuvenation and Shapechange? Both of those are from the PHB2.

Sounds good to me.

moritheil

First Post
Sample char sheet

This is the format I use. You don't have to use it, but there are a few important features it has that I want to point out:

- All stats laid out
- Calculations shown
- All bonuses listed and broken down
- All feats have a short description

This makes sheet auditing fun and on-the-fly changes relatively painless. If I see a sheet which is just a bunch of numbers with no explanation of how they came about, I can't possibly accept it. Most of you know this, but I want to state it for the record. :D

The example I'm showing you is how I might build a first-level mystic knight. I'm sure there are better ways to do it; this is just off the top of my head.

[sblock=SAMPLE MYSTIC KNIGHT]
Code:
CHARACTER NAME : Teal
RACE (CR) : Human
CLASS (LEVEL) : Mystic Knight 1
... NET LEVEL : 1
ALIGNMENT : N
SIZE : Medium
SPEED : 30 ft.
TYPE : Humanoid (Human)

Sample Mystic Knight build. 

EXPERIENCE : ?
CASH : 150 gp - expenses

ABILITY SCORES = 32 pts (4+6+10+2+10)
Str 12 (+1) (12/base)
Dex 14 (+2) (14/base)
Con 16 (+3) (16/base)
Int 10 (+0) (10/base)
Wis 8 (-1) (8/base)
Cha 16 (+3) (16/base)

SAVES
FORT +4 (0/myk 3/con 1/luck)
REF +3 (0/myk 2/dex 1/luck)
WILL +3 (3/myk -1/wis 1/luck)

HIT POINTS : 11 (8 +3/con)  Note: DR 2/silver
ARMOR CLASS
Standard : 13 (10/base 2/dex 1/luck)
Touch : 13 (10/base 2/dex 1/luck)
Flat-Foot : 11 (10/base 1/luck)

INITIATIVE : +2 (2/dex)
BASE ATTACK : +1
RANGED : +3 (+2/dex)
MELEE : +2 (+1/str)

WEAPONS
Darkwood Light Crossbow +3 att [1d6 x2]
Morningstar +2 att [1d8 x2]

LANGUAGES
Common

RACIAL TRAITS
1 free feat, 1 extra skill point/level.

CLASS FEATURES
Mystic Knight: DR 1/silver, Arcane Curse (-2 arcane saves on foe struck) 1/day

FEATS
Cha 1 . Luck of Heroes (+1 to all saves, +1 luck AC)
Cha 1 . Greater Resiliency (DR improves by 1)
Cha 3 .
Cha 6 .
Cha 9 .
Cha12 .
Cha15 .
Cha18 .

SKILLS 4*(2+1) = 12
Concentration +7 (4 ranks +3 con)
Know (arcana) +4 (4 ranks +0 int)
Spellcraft    +4 (4 ranks +0 int)

EQUIPMENT  gp.
Explorer's Outfit [10 gp]