DCC#56 - Scions of Punjar

Mercurius

Legend
More details. What is the plot outline? Is it entirely within the city? What are the major foes? Are there intrigue and roleplaying elements? How easily could one translate it to a homebrew city? Etc.

Jack99

Adventurer
from my blog said:
Scions is a 4th-6th level urban adventure crawl where players are hired by a minor noble family to find out how a pendant, which is supposed to be entombed in the family tombs, has made its way to a local pawn shop. Soon the heroes find themselves embroiled in a tale of revenge, because the slighted and thought-to-be-dead deranged daughter of the family has returned, now an insane necromancer. She has amassed a secret army of undead in the depths of the city of Punjar, and wants her family dead.
As usual, Goodman Games gives an adventure full of deadly traps and nasty combats. However, and this is a big plus, many of the encounters have a non-violent solution, so it’s not all hack and slash. There are a few twists, and room to expand the adventure significantly, if that is what you want. They are also kind enough to provide a flowchart of the major encounter areas, since not all encounters need to be taken in a definite order.

There are some crunch issues with it (might have been errataed since then though) especially with the skill challenges which aren't well thought out.

Most of the opponents are either rogue-type humanoids, traps and undead, but there are also some spiders, snakes and other stuff to keep the encounters more or less varied. Most notably some nasty wights with class levels and a human death master (necromancer).

If you can look past the issues I had with the crunch, it's a good adventure that can fit in just about any larger city which can have some hills (the end is in an abandonned iron mine about 30 minutes outside the city and at a windmill, also outside the city).

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

I haven't played it yet but have had a read through and am planning to run it so would be useful to get some tips on this thread! It looks like it'll be easy to fit into my Parsantium campaign (see sig). We've just started Sellswords but we've not get very far with it.

Cheers

Richard

Jack99

Adventurer
Minor note, there is not such thing as class levels in 4e. The wight in question has the cleric class template.

Yeah. Typo :) - I do not get paid to write these posts, so I must admit that I do not proofread nor check if every single word - I am sure the other posters understood what I meant. On the other hand, when these mistakes slip into published products, then it's a screwup! (Funnily enough, iirc, Scions has one of those)

Cheers

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases