Solos: Using AP for the BIG ESCAPE

Stalker0

Legend
One classic motiff of any good villain is the escape. When it seems like the party finally has the guy dead to rights, he always manages to slip through their fingers.

Solos normally representing your big villains, action points are actually a great way to do this.

In the first encounter with the solo, don't use the solos AP at all. Instead, once the solo is bloodied, use the run command, 2 move actions, and 2 AP for 2 more move actions.

With most solos, that should pull them well out of range of most of the parties big attacks, and allow him to escape.

Then for the final fight, use the AP normally. Now that the solo is cornered, he's stronger than ever before!!

chaotix42

First Post
I've never thought of using both of a solo's APs at once. I guess there's nothing stopping them from doing so... :devil:

Using an AP to escape instead of attack is a great trick though, and it sure causes shaking fists and gnashing teeth amongst PCs! Dragons can really put this idea to good use.

Are there any rules on when a solo (or any monster) gets their APs back? I can't think of any.

Last edited:

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
I agree with the thinking here. A recurring (or potentially recurring) villain's escape is a key element of fiction, but generally antithetical to RPG play. (In part because encounters are generally weighted toward player victory, and in part because if the GM doesn't carefully contrive the circumstances (which still might not work), he's going to have to lay on some serious, and generally obvious, railroading.)

Using APs in this manner lets the GM pull it off in a way that's mechanically balanced and "fair." And also reasonably likely to succeed. Players won't feel railroaded, the situation won't have to be overly contrived, and the drama of seeking/facing a recurring villain finally works in the RPG context!

The only problem in my view would be that not all villains are solos.

I mean, if it's Orcus, okay, if it's a dragon, okay, but your "run-of-the-mill" evil overlord is probably just an Elite with a few henchmen around.

---

I am a fan of certain "story-telling" mechanics or something like that. As an option (houserule):
All players get one action point, but the villain gets an extra AP just to run away. ;)

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
The only problem in my view would be that not all villains are solos.

I mean, if it's Orcus, okay, if it's a dragon, okay, but your "run-of-the-mill" evil overlord is probably just an Elite with a few henchmen around.

"Solo" means, literally, acting alone. If your villain is not alone, he cannot be a Solo.

The benefits given to a Solo are there in order to help him keep abreast of economy of actions.

All of which is just to say, "Good idea, Stalker. Now figure out a similar trick for Elite BBEGs."

Per the rules, you can normally only use one AP per turn.

Whether this holds true for the monsters, though, is entirely up to the DM.

Also, if you want your monster to be able to escape in the middle of a fight, the monster will generally need the ability to act outside his own turn -- otherwise he has to wait an entire round's worth of PC actions to escape.

cjais

First Post
They are if you are using them as intended.

If they are not, they will be more powerful than you think they are-- because they are designed to overcome Lanchester's.

Pshaw. All a "Solo" represents is 5 equal-leveled monsters. If the party needs a tougher challenge, or they are more than 5 party members, I can't see anything that prevents me from adding more monsters to the mix.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases