Science Fantasy movies

tecnowraith

First Post
Anyone know any sword & planet, planetary romance and/or science fantasy movies (maybe good ones) besides Flash Gordon or Star Wars? I'm looking for little to no space travel to more planetary adventure. Any thoughts or ideas?

Thanks

Last edited:

Rackhir

Explorer
You say planetary adventure but then list Star Wars. If that qualifies you might want to check Serenity.

The Force in SW is basically magic by another name. The only thing that gets even close in Serenity is River's mind reading, but it's hardly a major plot element and Psi powers to a certain extent are considered "legit" for SciFi. Though they can verge on magic at times, there's typically a greater emphasis on "rules" and providing at least a BS explanation for how they work.

There is of course Krull.

The old Animated Bakashi movie "Wizards". Heavy Metal might qualify as well.

Arguably Dune would fit.

The anime series Tenich Muyo definitely fits. Come to think of it, there's a lot of anime that would qualify (too many to go fully into). El 'Hazard the Magnificent world is another. Full Metal Alchemist is an excellent example (and a great series as well). Vampire Hunter D, especially the second movie, is a good one. Silent Mobius is another series, but might be too modern for what you are looking for. Anime is a very rich area to mine for that sort of thing.

That's all that springs to mind off hand.

Klaus

First Post
The Force in SW is basically magic by another name. The only thing that gets even close in Serenity is River's mind reading, but it's hardly a major plot element and Psi powers to a certain extent are considered "legit" for SciFi. Though they can verge on magic at times, there's typically a greater emphasis on "rules" and providing at least a BS explanation for how they work.

There is of course Krull.

The old Animated Bakashi movie "Wizards". Heavy Metal might qualify as well.

Arguably Dune would fit.

The anime series Tenich Muyo definitely fits. Come to think of it, there's a lot of anime that would qualify (too many to go fully into). El 'Hazard the Magnificent world is another. Full Metal Alchemist is an excellent example (and a great series as well). Vampire Hunter D, especially the second movie, is a good one. Silent Mobius is another series, but might be too modern for what you are looking for. Anime is a very rich area to mine for that sort of thing.

That's all that springs to mind off hand.
Krull is a good example. There were those two Caravan of Courage movies with the Ewoks, too.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I know its not a movie, and I know its not good, but Thundarr the Barbarian springs to mind.:)

There is also Pirates of Darkwater, as I recall.

Zelazny's Amber Chronicles and much of Moorcock's Eternal Champion stuff could be considered a fusion of sci-fi and fantasy. Piers Anthony's Split Infinity and Incarnations of Immortality series could be considered likewise.

Harry Turtledove's Darkness novels mix fantasy with WW2 Alt history (in a fantasy world setting, not our world).

Klaus

First Post
Pirates of Darkwater was straight-up fantasy, and awesome at that.

You could say that Masters of the Universe and Thundercats are Sword & Planet, with their mix of magic and sci-fi.

tecnowraith

First Post
I'm looking for more Sword and Planet: A subgenre of science fantasy, it focuses on swashbuckling adventures on other planets, type films.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer

Definitely.

Trigun might fit what the OP is looking for, though it is more space western than space fantasy and has guns (still a little melee fighting). Takes place on a different planet, and there is no travel off of it, the humans are kind of...stranded there. Fits if you want low magic and gritty type of feel.

Similarly to Tenchi Muyo is Urusei Yatsura. Has an alien as one of the starring characters and limited planetary travel (most of her friends/enemies just come to earth for visits). While she makes heavy use of her "alien technology," it's way closer to magic than sci-fi in presentation. The show is also very deeply steeped in Japanese culture, myths, and so on, which adds to the fantasy feel. For example, many of the alien races are based off of mythological creatures, such as the Tengu race and even the main character's Oni race. Other episodes have Kappa, Amefurashi, goblins, etc... The show is comedy and not swashbuckling adventure, though.

Remove ads