Around Town: The Modern Series: Quinn's Place

Crothian

First Post
In the modern game it is always nice to have well established places. I always like to have a few places nicely defined to allow the players a chance to use them and get to know and feel what they are like. That is one reason I like the small sized PDFs that tackle a single place. It is all I need in a simple package and ready to use.

Around Town: Modern Series: Quinn’s Place is quite a mouthful for this PDF but that is the title. It is produced by a new company called Black Hole Hobbies. The PDF is written by Eric A Duckworth. He also designed the props. The interior art is by Calvin Cox. The Cartography is Ben Ragland. The layout of the book could be a bit better. There is some white space and while some of it is on purpose for the use of GM’s notes, they could have a done a better job with it. It is completely readable in the typical two column format. The art is pretty good as is the cartography. It is easy to see and easy to use.

The book does a nice job of describing the bar. Each of the three floors is well mapped out and described. The owner, bartender and a few rulers are all stated out and described. However, the whole thing is passive in nature. It feels like a place waiting for people to interact with it and not a real live place that is moving forward on its own. For a DM that wants a place and is ready to use it and make it matter this will be a good book for them. But for someone that needs a few adventure ideas and get an idea of where the NPCs are going and just not where they have been this will be a little tougher to use. Another page or two of different ways the DM can make use of this in different style of games would really make this a much better book.

The book is written for d20 modern, but the rules are not the focus of the place. The NPCs are all stated out and there is a pair of new feats and a few guns depicted as well. But the meat of the book can easily be used with any modern rule set. One nice thing they included are three props that are color and can easily be printed out. The first is a nice business card, the second is a crumbled up note to be used as a plot device, and the third is a menu for the place. These are great extras and enough for me to really want more from the book. The potential is there I just hope that in the next book these guys do they really let loose and show us what they got.

Around Town: Modern Series: Quinn’s Place is a nice PDF of a modern pub. I like the props and think the basic foundation for a strong product is here. They just need to build on it.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases