Lost Eberron 4E Style: Combat over, Level up!

EvolutionKB

First Post
The jungle soon after resumes it's normal activity. The need for the lost to move on is soon echoed by the distant sound of thunder. Large dark clouds can be seen on the horizon and lightning flashes between them. There is no doubt a storm headed their way.

[sblock=ooc]As mentioned in the ooc thread, I'll need a marching order if you are going to move out. Assuming I get one, and nobody objects by the time I update tommorow, I'll set the next scene.[/sblock]

Oni

First Post
Lorn cocked his eyebrow giving the warforged a strange look.

Yeah....

He shook his head, trying to bring himself back to the task at hand. Looking at the darkening horizon he said, uh...let's get some water and then see what we can do about some shelter.

Pulling the water skin from his side he motioned up and down the beach.

I've been thinking, all these wrecks...there's a good chance we might not be alone here.

With that thought he swigged down the last of the water in the skin and started walking toward the stream that fed down from the jungle.

[sblock=ooc]

I'm assuming the water source is nearby, that one group or the other likely had to cross it for our little meeting to take place.

[/sblock]

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
Hesh's narrowed eyes followed the discussion back and forth, his hand holding tight his double flail. After a moment, a sudden change came over him. Its clear you are all mad and the elves have tricked us all. No matter! We'll fight our way through this and kill what we have to until we get home. Got it? Good!

He looks at the elf-without-ears-and-sharp-features. Water is a good idea, and these wrecks may have dry foods that we may add to our rations. Good timber for lodging too. The golem can probably make short work on some of the more rotted timbers, make a lean-to away from both the water and the jungle. After that, we can look for the elves in the jungle and force us to send us back. That's a plan I can believe in!

garyh

First Post
"I am no simple golem," Xandren growls. "I am warforged! And I don't care whether there's food or water near."

"But, given that there's nothing else to be done here, I will accompany you for now."

Oni

First Post
[sblock=ooc]

Good thinking on the wrecks as a resource, stonegod. :)

EvolutionKB, are any of the wrecks far enough away from the water as to make relatively safe shelter from the storm and tide?

[/sblock]

EvolutionKB

First Post
As the newly formed group walks down the beach towards the source of fresh water the shifter saw, they also pick their way through the wreckage as they go. Unfortunately, most of what they find appears to be already picked through or swallowed by the seas. The remains of broken crates and water barrels are are found in the narrow confines of the beached ships.

Finally within a break in the wreckage, they spot the stream that leads down to the water's edge. Small pebbles dot the edge of the stream, making for a pictureque scene. The sand here is hot and dry, it looks like this place would make a decent base. Several other half-buried shipwrecks dot the sands, as well as some large boulders. One shipwreck stands out from the rest, much of it is unburied, and if a way could be found into the hold, it could easily be a shelter from the storm.

The quiet reveverie of the situation is broken by a cry of rage from the direction across the river. "You won't take me back! They're mine!" The cry in followed by the click of a crossbow bolt being released. It thuds into Hesh's shoulder, nearly spinning the hobgoblin around. The cry must have alerted something, because a strange skittering sound comes from the wreck nearest you. The source of the sound is soon revealed. A scorpion, the size of a wolf, crawls around the corner, coming to a stop short of the party. The scorpion's claws crackle with electricity. Another scorpion emerges from the other side of the wreck, barely visible behind the corner. Of the archer, you see no sign.

Initiative:
Lorn: 24
Archer: 22
Scorpions: 21
Xandren: 20
Thormir: 19
Hesh: 7
Stellan: 5

[sblock=ooc]Archer/scorpions got a surprise round.[/sblock]

Lorn: 23/23, HS: 7/7(5)
Xandren: 30/30, HS: 11/11(7)
Thormir: 32/32, HS: 11/11(8)
Hesh: 15/26, HS: 9/9(6)
Stellan: 30/30, HS: 10/10(7)
Scorpion1: Full
Scorpion2: Full
Archer: Full

Edit: Bad map, see later map post.
Map notes: The green at the top is jungle, the blue is water. The brown is soft sand. They are all difficult terrain. The different boxes are the beached ships. The dotted lines inside the ships are areas that must be squeezed into. All ships can be climbed with a DC: 15 athletics check. Once on deck an Acrobatics check DC 15 must be made to move because of the slope of the deck. The black squares are boulders, also climbable with a DC 15 athletics. Ignore the grey square in the bottom right portion of the map, just a mistake by me when adding you to the map.

Attachments

• Battle_1.xls
    15.5 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Oni

First Post
Lorn looked up in surprise at the unexpected voice. Then he saw the arrow find its mark. Recent battles still fresh in his mind his reaction was almost automatic.

Archer! Find cover!

Before he could take more than a step though a new surprise revealed itself with a scitter and a crackle.

Ah, crap...

What in the name of the Host was that?

With a growl he swept his staff upward in a gesture laden with supernatural intent. Shadows began to swim and snake from around the nearby rocks and wreckage writhing and grasping at anything in reach.

Swallowing hard Lorn made the decision to try to totally prevent the creature from flanking them. He ran foward, drawing on the deep reserves and inspired by Hesh's stoicness in the face of danger, and pointed his forked staff at the monstrosity unleashing a rumbling barrage of thunder and force

[sblock=ooc]

Standard: Grasping Shadows Centered on AE7. That should get around any cover.

:area:Grasping Shadows (standard; encounter) ✦ Arcane, Illusion, Implement, Psychic
Burst 1 within 10; +5 vs Will; 1d8+5 psychic damage, and target is slowed until the end of your next turn. Effect: Shadows writhe in the designated area and continue until the end of your next turn. Any creature that enters the area of the grasping shadows takes 5 psychic damage and is slowed until the end of its next turn.

Int vs. Will (1d20+5=20)

Psychic Damage (1d8+5=12) to Scorpion 2

Move: move to AG9, hopefully gaining some cover from the archer because of the wreck.

Use an Action Point, take advantage of Hesh's Bravura Presense, cross fingers. :)

Standard: Thunderwave Scorpion 2 (Area: Upper left AD6, Lower Right: AF8) that should avoid any cover as well.

Int vs. Fort (1d20+5=21)

Thunder Damage (1d6+5=7)

Assuming that hit, push scorpion 2 to AC7 and make a basic attack (magic missle) from the Bravura Presense.

Int vs. Ref (1d20+5=19)

Force Damage (2d4+5=13)

Whew, I hadn't expected such a complicated first turn.

[/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]Lorn Spellwright- Male Human Wizard 1
Initiative: +4, Passive Perception: 11, Passive Insight: 11
AC:18, Fort:12, Reflex:16, Will:14 -- Speed:6
HP:23/23, Bloodied:11, Surge Value:5, Surges left:7/7
Action Points: 0
Powers -
Magic Missle
Scorching Blast
Thunderwave

Grasping Shadows
Staff of Defense