Leif's Homebrew 4E, OOC1

Leif

Adventurer
You know what really irritates me about PH2??

They use the word Glamor over and over in reference to spell powers, when I firmly beleive that the actual word they were searching for was GLAMER. A small distinction, but an important one, imho.

renau1g

First Post
You know what really irritates me about PH2??

They use the word Glamor over and over in reference to spell powers, when I firmly beleive that the actual word they were searching for was GLAMER. A small distinction, but an important one, imho.

What you mean the power aren't relating to:
an exciting and often illusory and romantic attractiveness <the glamour of Hollywood> ; especially : alluring or fascinating attraction —often used attributively

vs.

The visual influence of a charm, causing people to see things differently from what they are. Hence, to cast a glamer is to cause a visual deception

LOL Maybe they just thought that's bard's are really romantic and alluring :)

Leif

Adventurer
Mowgli in IC thread said:
Standard Action: Spiteful Glamor (Encounter Power) at KD M20 misses w/ an 08
Just for giggles, Mowgli, I'm gonna check the KD's defense tonight. I'm guessing that this attack is against Will Defense? It would help me if all of you would put the defense that opposes your attack in your posts. Please??? (Most of you already do this, and I thank you for that!) :D :D

UPDATE: I can't find the Spiteful Glamor power anywhere! Give me a clue, please? If it does, in fact, oppose the Will defense, then you're right, it does miss.

And remember, your average Kobold is not exactly a "Tower of Iron Will," and Dragonshields are, I suspect, kinda the 'dumb jocks' of the Kobold world.

Which leads me directly to another 4E observation: It cannot be overemphasized how important it is to give a great deal of consideration to the DEFENSE that applies against an attack when choosing which attack to use. I believe that a wise character will select powers that attack a wide variety of defenses. Fighters and melee types are more restricted in their choices, as most of their powers attack AC, but Wizards, Clerics, Bards, and even Paladins and Rogues have more choices, and ofen the most favorable defense to attack is NOT AC.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Anything under 10 is unlikely to hit, unless they have a 6 in their Wisdom...well maybe kobolds do, they're shifty, but not wise.

As for the differing defenses to target it's usually best to target Will, which is why I'm considering Bard to be pretty sweet in this new edition as they have a ton that target Will (i'm a fan of mocking someone to death ;)). The benefit fighters get when attacking AC is that there is a to hit bonus on their weapons that's supposed to make up the difference. I have my Open Grave in front of me and the difference between Will and AC for the undead is about 4-7 points, which is quite huge. I found that monsters typically have a high AC and one other defense (usually FORT), a mediocre secondary one (2-3 points lower) and a weak one (4-8 points lower). It depends on the monster, but usually you can tell, i.e. hit the lumbering giant's reflex, or the enemy wizard's Fort.

Sorry for my ramblings...

Leif

Adventurer
Sorry for my ramblings...
Nay, Ryan, apologize not for this! You have, as usual, pointed up the errors in my logic and offered us additional insight into the working of 4E. (That's kinda what I was hoping would happen, hehe.) I did not know that about almost all defenses being higher than 10, but, thinking about it now, it does seem like a no-brainer. Duhhh!

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
Spiteful Glamor is (as are many of the Bardic powers) vs. Will. I have been considering very carefully which defense my attacks go against and balancing that with my desired outcome. Do I want to slide my opponent somewhere? Do I want to slide my ally? Do I want to add to an ally's healing surge? One of my attacks has far more potential damage vs. an opponent that hasn't been wounded yet. I'm trying to fit Aimhirghin into the published Bardic roles of 'Leader' and 'Controller.' Those roles are part of the reason I chose the class.

I'm also trying NOT to metagame. Though I've got access to the MM, I'm resisting looking up the critters for myself to see what their weaknesses are because:

1) One of the coolest things about playing D&D for the first times (as a teen) was the sense of wonder and NOT knowing what would happen next, and what the crap do I do now?

2) Aimhirghin is a youngster, just out in the world. He's not likely to know what the weak spot in a Kobold is, either.

renau1g

First Post
I hope you don't mistake my observations for metagaming, but it has been true for most editions of D&D that most monsters are physically strong and have weaker minds (either targeting Will defense in 4e, making will saving throws in 3e, or against rod/staff/wand or spells in 2e). Also, same goes for Reflex defense/reflex saves. I've specifically not read any of the KotS despite owning it, same goes for the Spellgard adventure I'm playing in RL. There's definitely no fun in knowing everything about an adventure and I can't wait for MM2 to come out so we can encounter some very new monsters :)

Leif

Adventurer
I hope you don't mistake my observations for metagaming, but it has been true for most editions of D&D that most monsters are physically strong and have weaker minds (either targeting Will defense in 4e, making will saving throws in 3e, or against rod/staff/wand or spells in 2e). Also, same goes for Reflex defense/reflex saves. I've specifically not read any of the KotS despite owning it, same goes for the Spellgard adventure I'm playing in RL. There's definitely no fun in knowing everything about an adventure and I can't wait for MM2 to come out so we can encounter some very new monsters :)
If this comment was intended for me, then let me allay your fears: the whole 'metagaming' issue never even occurred to me. :)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!

If this comment was intended for me, then let me allay your fears: the whole 'metagaming' issue never even occurred to me. :)

Nor to me, in any negative sense or in application to anyone besides myself. I was just trying to capture in words my desire to not know everything about all the critters we'll be facing - one of the reasons I won't be GMing a 4e game.

As for the monster defenses, my options are vs. AC, vs. Will or vs. Reflex (and I've only got one power that targets Reflex). My reasoning (and Aimhirghin's) is that the Kobolds are probably weakest in Will, so unless there's a specific effect I want to create that takes precedence I'm attacking with powers that affect the Will.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases