[Non-D&D] Mage: The Awakening -- Yes, but what do you DO?

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
OK, I understand that the nWoD Mage isn't about for the battle to control the consensual reality or, if it is, it's a battle that's long-since been lost. Instead of interpreting reality into being, characters this time are more traditional mages and wonder workers of all sorts. And the high ground (metaphorically and cosmologically) is under the control of the godlike Exarch once-were-mages.

All good, got that.

The question I have, though, is what do player characters actually do? The Technocracy isn't kicking down the doors and carrying mages off to reeducation camps any more. There are various groups -- including player character groups -- that will slap you down if you do something really reckless, but it seems like open hostilities aren't really that much of an issue any more.

You can go around looking for artifacts, and fight over those, but presumably most cabals aren't doing this 24/7. Other than that, are there any resources that they'd be squabbling over like vampires do?

I know the real answer is "whatever you want," but what kind of games are people playing, in general? I don't really get where the conflict and action comes in. (This even bleeds over to Hunter: The Vigil, since their first splatbook is about taking on mages. Unless magic inherently pisses you off, it seems like you'd only end up kicking down the doors of the crazies that even the other mages would like to see wiped out.)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases