The City Arcana [3.5][mature][dark]

moritheil

First Post
[sblock=Setting Info]Magic is disappearing from the land.

A world-spanning coalition, backed by the will of tyrannical priests, the machinations of unscrupulous nobles, and the superstitions of peasantry, seeks to eliminate all wielders of arcane forces. They have largely succeeded. Long fragmented and rarely sharing much in common, the different orders of magic were pressed back, and many of the talented mages whose power could have swayed battles opted to simply leave for other planes of existence instead. Persistent, dark rumors hold that this war was but an excuse for their departure, and that the true enemy of arcane magic lies not in the mundane affairs of governments and wars but in something far more difficult to face.

The war is all but over. There remains but one true city - Arcana, the last bastion of free magic. There a new generation of heroes will gather and be tested.[/sblock]

Greely's Tavern is a smoky inn situated towards the outer edge of Arcana, near the walls. Though it appeals largely to new visitors and the slightly rougher crowd, the mere presence of the gruff owner and proprietor has always been enough to keep order. As the Tavern is a gathering place for many who have not integrated properly into society, its billboards are studded with want ads for adventurers.

One might imagine that to hand out missions in public is to invite grave security breaches, but loyalty is largely a matter of self-interest: the way to Arcana may not be opened without some form of arcane potential or ability. So it is that on a fine summer afternoon, Greely himself holds forth to a small group of adventurers.

"Women and children, new to town, have all gone missing." He leans awkwardly on his stool, kicking one leg back and forth and maintaining a precarious balance. "Strangest thing. The town watch has their hands full helping those who DO stick around fit in, and the troops are too busy to handle this sort of thing. So this is adventuring work."

Greely frowns, then continues, "Now, I have to tell you - there's not a lot known about what's going on here. All of the people disappeared. Only one survivor's been found, a kid of a few years. Don't know if it's trauma or what, but he kept saying 'Squirrels.' Couldn't make much sense of it." A few people chuckle incredulously, and others shift uneasily in their seats.

"So much for the eye witness account." He leans back onto the counter behind him, plucking up a map with his good arm. "I had a crude map made from what the watch told us - here are the locations of disappearances."

"Now, who wants this job?"

Last edited:

pathfinderq1

First Post
A small young woman, not much larger than a child herself, stepped forward from the assembled group. Her plain clothing was an unremarkable grey, and her short-cropped dark hair was still dusty with the grit of whatever road had brought her to Arcana. Her face was set in an emotionless mask, and her voice was soft and rough, as if she were quite unused to speaking.

"Squirrels?," she asked- it was obvious she had never spoken that word before in her life. "I will help, if I can. Squirrels are vicious creatures then?"

Drowned Hero

First Post
A young man dressed in tight cloths in dark brown, dark green and black raises his hand 'Me Sir' 'im in need of work I just arrived to this splendorous city'

Blackrat

He Who Lurks Beyond The Veil
"A small furry animal actually. Quite harmless." Answers a voice next to the small woman. Man behind that voice rises from his seat, revealing a bald human dressed in crimson. His clothing indicates a soldier and his stature gives out an aura of authority. Those versed in arcane orders might recognice his regalia as that of Crimson Moon. A notorious order of battlemages. "I am intrigued by this mystery as well. The name is Dzax."

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
"I have my doubts as to what the kid means by 'squirrels.'" Those who follow the voice see a man resting comfortably on the ground. He was leaning back, his head bowed as though he were asleep. "I volunteer my services."

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
A balding, blond bearded dwarf who has not yet bothered to divest himself of his travelling gear and attire steps forward, "I'd make a fair wager that the kid didn't see squirrels, but something worse. Regardless, I'm in as long as the reward is worth the effort."

moritheil

First Post
Greely smiles knowingly. "Rewards. I thought one of you might get to that. Well, the city is paying 10 gold per person returned, with a bonus if you can bring back the culprits. Fifty gold to bring them all back; a hundred extra if you get the kidnappers. If you can't get them alive, their bodies are still worth half. Your priority is protecting the children. You will have to be debriefed by the city to collect your rewards, of course, but I don't think that will be a problem. No objections to truth magic, I trust?"

"Oh," he adds, "Also any spoils from the kidnappers are yours. Of course if they have something that was stolen from one of the women or children, the victim should get it back, but . . . anything besides that, you may either keep, or if the city wants it - unlikely as that may be - they'll pay you well for it. Word of advice there when dealing with magistrates: don't hold back, and if you screw up, don't lie about it."

"You have at most one week to accomplish this; you probably don't need me to tell you, but with each passing day the trail grows colder and it will be harder to accomplish the mission at all. If you need rations or anything, feel free to talk to one of my staff and we'll set you up at cost." He nods at a passing serving girl, who smiles at the group uncertainly and does a rough impression of a curtsey.

"Good luck. Now, if you have no questions, I've got a meeting I'm late for. Anyone?" He looks at each of you in turn, checking to see if you have any last-minute questions for him.

crazy_monkey1956

First Post
Grimm grumbles under his breath in dwarven, "Ye should know better than to question the integrity of a dwarf."

In common and for the assembled group to hear, We'd best work together, then, and split the reward and spoils fairly among us. First question, then, is where do we start?"

pathfinderq1

First Post
"He said they have a map, for some of the locations," the young woman ventured. "Perhaps we might go to some of the places." She looked around the now-gathered group. "I agree that working together may be our best plan, for now- and if we are to work as a team, it may be helpful to know that I am named Sayida."

OnlytheStrong

Explorer
Teal moves toward the surprisingly small group that volunteered. "I would say the woman has an excellent idea." He made a small bow to the lady who had just introduced herself as Sayida, "Pleasure to meet you. You may call me Teal."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases