Non-Fantasy GSL games?

championsguru

First Post
Hello all,

Does anyone know of any publishers that are putting out a GSL based sci-fi, super-heroes or modern games?

Thanks for your time,

Da Guru

Jack99

Adventurer
Closest thing is Mongooses Wraith Recon, which is kinda a sci-fi/fantasy hybrid. Dias Ex Machina Games (Published by Goodman Games) comes out with what appears to be an even more scifi setting this April (called Amethyst).

Last edited:

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Closest thing is Mongooses Wraith Recon, which is kinda a sci-fi/fantasy hybrid.

Actually, by the looks of it, Wraith Recon is squarely High Fantasy, merely filtered through a Technothriller lense. PCs are highly trained special operatives (the equivalent of SWAT officers or secret agents) in a fantasy kindgom with access to magic and mechanical equipment (i.e., gadgets) not yet available to the public.

Jack99

Adventurer
Actually, by the looks of it, Wraith Recon is squarely High Fantasy, merely filtered through a Technothriller lense. PCs are highly trained special operatives (the equivalent of SWAT officers or secret agents) in a fantasy kindgom with access to magic and mechanical equipment (i.e., gadgets) not yet available to the public.

Well I guess it's a matter of how you define things. By your comment I gather that you do not actually have the book, nor has read it? Because I have. :)

On the other hand, you are right. It is fantasy. But as I implied, it gives me a sci-fi modern vibe, if not by the rules, then by the way the heroes exist and act. Mileage, varies and all that.

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
Well I guess it's a matter of how you define things. By your comment I gather that you do not actually have the book, nor has read it? Because I have. :)

On the other hand, you are right. It is fantasy. But as I implied, it gives me a sci-fi modern vibe, if not by the rules, then by the way the heroes exist and act. Mileage, varies and all that.

Well, I've thumbed through the book and know enough of it to have an informed opinion. I guess I don't get the same 'vibe' that you do because I've been running and playing in fantasy adventures like that for more than a decade (and, I suspect, the guys who introduced me to AD&D were running them for decades before that).

The idea of a 'fantasy technothriller' (i.e., a fantasy setting wherein PCs are elite special ops soliders) is kind of 'old school' for me. Most of the guys in my first serious game group were cops, soldiers, or the children of soldiers. That said. . .

I suppose that if I had never seen the idea presented in the fantasy milieu before reading Wraith Recon or first encountered the idea in video games or movies rather than via AD&D, I'd be more inclined to view it as 'modern' or 'sci-fi' than fantasy.

Last edited:

Remove ads