Can one of the lead designers of D&D please stand up and clarify "Rain of Blows"? - Page 2


What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 73
  1. #11
    Registered User
    Thaumaturgist (Lvl 9)



    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    5,323
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Saeviomagy
    My communities:

    Quote Originally Posted by Danceofmasks View Post
    Just sayin' ... if Fighters were strikers, rain of blows would be worship-worthy, but they're not.
    So... the powers are not so powerful because all they do is make a defender hit as hard as a striker, which is ok because fighters aren't strikers because the book says so??

    That really doesn't make much sense.

 

  • #12
    There have been customer service responses that it gives 2-4 attacks. (See, for example, here.)

  • #13
    Registered User
    Gallant (Lvl 3)



    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,214
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Kordeth
    Quote Originally Posted by Saeviomagy View Post
    So... the powers are not so powerful because all they do is make a defender hit as hard as a striker, which is ok because fighters aren't strikers because the book says so??

    That really doesn't make much sense.
    No, it's "okay" (or at least not as non-okay as some people think) because there are other options at that level that are better at performing the fighter's actual job as opposed to giving him a single attack once per encounter that dishes out striker-scale damage. If you want to build a pure-damage fighter, Rain of Blows is a no-brainer, but in doing so you're giving up options that make you a better defender, which is what most fighters want to be.
    ++++++++++++
    Travis Stout

    "An absolute monarchy is one in which the sovereign does as he pleases so long as he pleases the assassins."
    --Ambrose Bierce

  • #14
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Orcus Porkus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    266
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Orcus Porkus
    Quote Originally Posted by Kordeth View Post
    No, it's "okay" (or at least not as non-okay as some people think) because there are other options at that level that are better at performing the fighter's actual job as opposed to giving him a single attack once per encounter that dishes out striker-scale damage. If you want to build a pure-damage fighter, Rain of Blows is a no-brainer, but in doing so you're giving up options that make you a better defender, which is what most fighters want to be.
    Well, Rain of Blows is a no-brainer only if you qualify.
    You need Dex 15 and use light blades, spears or flails. Most fighter builds don't go that way. They have low Dex because with their heavy armor they don't need it anymore. They go for the heavy hitter weapons like Mordenkrad and Execution Axe, Shield + heavy blade/Hammer/Axe combos, to take advantage of crap like Hammer Rhythm, and all the other feats and items that help them.

    Rain of Blows is simply a nice power that gives those special fighter builds something to be happy about. It's not a general no-brainer.

    I built a greatspear wielding high Dex Eladrin Barbarian who multiclassed into Fighter for one reason only, Rain of Blows.
    Last edited by Orcus Porkus; Friday, 30th January, 2009 at 12:36 AM.

  • #15
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Danceofmasks's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,350
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Danceofmasks
    Yup, though there is one issue with the power that must be addressed.
    I happen to think that problem isn't with the power itself.

    That is, tempest fighters with a double sword.
    It's a godly power for one of those.
    The Passion of Lovers is for Death

  • #16
    Registered User
    Minor Trickster (Lvl 4)

    CapnZapp's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    2,021
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore CapnZapp
    You know, "rain of blows" cause confusion in WFRP as well...

  • #17
    I think the confusion might come in because the Compendium doesn't indent the power correctly. Every line after the first "Hit" line is indented, making it subordinate to the Hit. Hence, the customer service answer is correct.

    You make a primary attack. If it hits and you meet the requirements, you make the secondary attack.

    Make your second primary attack. If it hits and you meet the requirements, make the secondary attack.

    So, yeah. 24 attacks.
    Logan Bonner
    Freelance Game Designer
    Former Designer and Editor at Wizards of the Coast

  • #18
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Orcus Porkus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    266
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Orcus Porkus
    yeah that damn double sword abuse is getting on my nerves. Yeah right, you get a weapon that deals heavy blade damage and gets heavy blade feats and still gets all the carefully restricted benefits of light blades. It's so cheesy, in our group we simply banned that weapon, so the headache goes away.

  • #19
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Orcus Porkus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    266
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore Orcus Porkus
    Quote Originally Posted by wotc_logan View Post
    i think the confusion might come in because the compendium doesn't indent the power correctly. Every line after the first "hit" line is indented, making it subordinate to the hit. Hence, the customer service answer is correct.

    You make a primary attack. If it hits and you meet the requirements, you make the secondary attack.

    Make your second primary attack. If it hits and you meet the requirements, make the secondary attack.

    So, yeah. 24 attacks.
    yippieh!!!!

  • #20
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Copenhagen, DK
    Posts
    79
    Reviews
    Read 0 Reviews

    Ignore BartD
    Quote Originally Posted by WotC_Logan View Post
    I think the confusion might come in because the Compendium doesn't indent the power correctly. Every line after the first "Hit" line is indented, making it subordinate to the Hit. Hence, the customer service answer is correct.

    You make a primary attack. If it hits and you meet the requirements, you make the secondary attack.

    Make your second primary attack. If it hits and you meet the requirements, make the secondary attack.

    So, yeah. 24 attacks.
    Thanks for replying and settling the issue

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. "Probability for Game Designers": kick-butt article
      By Piratecat in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: Monday, 23rd October, 2006, 01:40 PM
    2. Sunday's "Arthur" History Channel Special Lead In
      By Mark in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
      Replies: 3
      Last Post: Monday, 21st June, 2004, 02:51 AM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •