Can one of the lead designers of D&D please stand up and clarify "Rain of Blows"?

Saeviomagy

Adventurer
Just sayin' ... if Fighters were strikers, rain of blows would be worship-worthy, but they're not.

So... the powers are not so powerful because all they do is make a defender hit as hard as a striker, which is ok because fighters aren't strikers because the book says so??

That really doesn't make much sense.

Kordeth

First Post
So... the powers are not so powerful because all they do is make a defender hit as hard as a striker, which is ok because fighters aren't strikers because the book says so??

That really doesn't make much sense.

No, it's "okay" (or at least not as non-okay as some people think) because there are other options at that level that are better at performing the fighter's actual job as opposed to giving him a single attack once per encounter that dishes out striker-scale damage. If you want to build a pure-damage fighter, Rain of Blows is a no-brainer, but in doing so you're giving up options that make you a better defender, which is what most fighters want to be.

Orcus Porkus

First Post
No, it's "okay" (or at least not as non-okay as some people think) because there are other options at that level that are better at performing the fighter's actual job as opposed to giving him a single attack once per encounter that dishes out striker-scale damage. If you want to build a pure-damage fighter, Rain of Blows is a no-brainer, but in doing so you're giving up options that make you a better defender, which is what most fighters want to be.

Well, Rain of Blows is a no-brainer only if you qualify.
You need Dex 15 and use light blades, spears or flails. Most fighter builds don't go that way. They have low Dex because with their heavy armor they don't need it anymore. They go for the heavy hitter weapons like Mordenkrad and Execution Axe, Shield + heavy blade/Hammer/Axe combos, to take advantage of crap like Hammer Rhythm, and all the other feats and items that help them.

Rain of Blows is simply a nice power that gives those special fighter builds something to be happy about. It's not a general no-brainer.

I built a greatspear wielding high Dex Eladrin Barbarian who multiclassed into Fighter for one reason only, Rain of Blows.

Last edited:

Danceofmasks

First Post
Yup, though there is one issue with the power that must be addressed.
I happen to think that problem isn't with the power itself.

That is, tempest fighters with a double sword. :p
It's a godly power for one of those.

Logan_Bonner

First Post
I think the confusion might come in because the Compendium doesn't indent the power correctly. Every line after the first "Hit" line is indented, making it subordinate to the Hit. Hence, the customer service answer is correct.

You make a primary attack. If it hits and you meet the requirements, you make the secondary attack.

Make your second primary attack. If it hits and you meet the requirements, make the secondary attack.

So, yeah. 2–4 attacks.

Orcus Porkus

First Post
yeah that damn double sword abuse is getting on my nerves. Yeah right, you get a weapon that deals heavy blade damage and gets heavy blade feats and still gets all the carefully restricted benefits of light blades. It's so cheesy, in our group we simply banned that weapon, so the headache goes away.

Orcus Porkus

First Post
i think the confusion might come in because the compendium doesn't indent the power correctly. Every line after the first "hit" line is indented, making it subordinate to the hit. Hence, the customer service answer is correct.

You make a primary attack. If it hits and you meet the requirements, you make the secondary attack.

Make your second primary attack. If it hits and you meet the requirements, make the secondary attack.

So, yeah. 2–4 attacks.

yippieh!!!! :)

BartD

First Post
I think the confusion might come in because the Compendium doesn't indent the power correctly. Every line after the first "Hit" line is indented, making it subordinate to the Hit. Hence, the customer service answer is correct.

So, yeah. 2–4 attacks.
Thanks for replying and settling the issue :cool:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases