The Lion's 2nd Face[Covaithe judging]

Erekose13

Explorer
Tenebrynn dodges to the side opposite Ashnar. Wielding his flaming staff, he launches two successive scorching rays at the behir.

[sblock=ooc]scorching ray x2 (1d20+11=14, 4d6=20, 1d20+11=21, 4d6=19) lets hope those both it cause thats 39 damage!

Hp 64/64
AC 28 (t 16;ff 24)
Fort 9; Refl 6; Will 4

Spells Memorized: 5/7/5/5/4 per day *1/spell level divination
caster level: 8
0th - Detect Magic*, Light, Mage Hand, Message, Light
1st - True Strike*, Ashnar's Spellstrike, Featherfall, Magic Missile x4
2nd - Detech Thoughts*, Invisibility, Rope Trick, Scorching Ray x2 1
3rd - Dispel Magic, Clairvoyance*, Fireball, Daylight, Fly
4th - Scrying*, Black Tentacles, Wall of Ice, Mnemonic Enhancer[/sblock]

Heckler

First Post
The behir recoils in pain, as both rays strike him.

Initiative
Charlarn 19 (19 damage, mcae, possibly grappled)
Behir 18 (39 damage)
Ashnar 17
Tenebryn 11(broke tie)
Hogarth 11 <--you're up
Planus 9(broke tie)
Rinaldo 9
Trogs(1-4) 7

ooc: I don't know if people are doing this, or if it just looks like it, but you don't have to wait for the red arrow to get to your name to declare your action. You can post ahead of your initiative, especially as most of the party is bunched together in the order.

Of course, if you want to wait and see how things resolve before you declare, that's cool too.

Steve Jung

Explorer
Charlarn of Phyrah: male human cleric 7/ranger 2

Charlarn casts Magic Circle Against Evil and steps forward.

The Behir charges Charlarn, biting down on the cleric(attack=35, damage 19). He then attempts to coil himself around Charlarn. (I need an opposed grapple check from Charlarn. Behir's=27)
Charlarn yelps as the behir bites him and winds around him. He struggles to get loose, but the creature's size is too much. Grapple (1d20+9=23)

AC 19, 21 vs. behir
HP 37/56

SlagMortar

First Post
Planus heeds Ashnar's advice and steps away from the rest of the group. He launches three arrows at the nearest troglodyte.

OOC:
I mentioned in the first post to have Planus buff with greater magic weapon and magic vestment if he thought there might be an encounter within 8 hours. The tracks and entrance would have been a good prompt, but I didn't specifically mention it. If you'd like to give me the benefit of the doubt, he would have them cast, but I did not include yet.

Planus takes a 5 foot step away from the others in the group, but tries to stay within 30 feet of Charlarn in case he needs to rush in and heal him.

1d20+10=17, 1d8+2=10, 1d20+10=28, 1d8+2=5, 1d20+5=17, 1d8+2=10
(Hope the 17 attack rolls hit since those are both max damage!)

Status
[sblock]
HP: 50, AC: 20

Spells remaining
0 (DC 15) 6/day: Detect Magic(x2), Light(x2), Guidance(x2)
1 (DC 16) 6/day: Bless, Divine Favor (x3), Obscuring Mist, Shield of Faith
2 (DC 17) 4/day: Resist Energy x3, Silence
3 (DC 18) 4/day: Blindness, Magic Vestment, Dispel Magic(x2)
4 (DC 19) 3/day: Divine Power, Freedom of Movement, Greater Magic Weapon
Domain:
1 (DC 16): Longstrider (in wilderness), Disguise Self (in cities)
2 (DC 17): Locate object, Invisibility (prepared)
3 (DC 18): Fly (prepared), Nondetection
4 (DC 19): Dimension Door, Confusion (prepared)

Arrows fired: 3
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
Hogarth cast Flame Strike, trying to englobe the Behir and as much Troglodyte as possible, but trying not to touch Charlarn who is grabbed by the large creature. THat cause the flame strike to not hit fully the large creature. He then break away from teh group, but try to stay in charging range to go help Charlarn later.

Rinaldo, once he saw the flame going out, move next to the Behir and keep a defensive stance. He points with his rapier, easily striking the large beast.

[SBLOCK=OOC]Flame Strike damage: 9d6=26, DC: 19 Refl for half damage. Poor damage for 9d6.

Rinaldo move next to the Behir. Combat Expertise (+5 AC/ -5 Att). Now at 28 AC.

Att: 1d20+6=23. I hope it hit: for 1d6+1d6+1=9, 4 of them are ligthning. [/SBLOCK]

Heckler

First Post
The behir is large enough that Hogarth can easily avoid hitting Charlarn. The behir is not so nimble this time, and is solidly hit by the flame strike.

Planus fires off three arrows, seriously injuring Trog#3.

Rinaldo moves forward, ducking under a bite from the behir. He finds a chink in the behir's armor, striking for 5 damage (immune to lightning).

Seeing their beloved behir picked on, the trogs rush forward, foaming at the mouth. Luckily, only one is able to enter melee this round, missing Hogarth.

As the trogs close in, everyone picks up on the unholy stench these creatures can produce. Everyone needs to make a FORT save (DC 15) or be sickened for 10 rounds.

[sblock=Sickened]
The character takes a -2 penalty on all attack rolls, weapon damage rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks. [/sblock]

Behir save vs stink=16

ooc: @Slagmortar yes you can have those spells up.

@ Velmont I took the liberty of making a tumble check for Rinaldo to get inside the behir's reach. While you failed the check, he also missed on his AoO.

Trog#1 is closing in on Tenybryn
Trog#2 is in melee with Hogarth
Trog#3 could go after either Planus or Ashnar
Trog#4 is closing in on Ashnar

Re: firing nto a grapple. [sblock]Someone pointed out to me that when firing into a grapple(scorching ray) there is an equal chance to hit either person in the grapple. I've been unable to locate that rule but I remember hearing it before. So for right now, I'm ruling that since the behir is large enough to avoid the -4 firing into melee penalty, we can ignore this as well.[/sblock]

Initiative
Charlarn 19 (19 damage, mcae, grappled) <--you're up
Behir 18 (85 damage)
Ashnar 17 (sickened)
Tenebryn 11(broke tie) (sickened)
Hogarth 11
Planus 9(broke tie)
Rinaldo 9
Trogs(1,2,4) 7
Trog3 7 (25 damage)

Last edited:

Velmont

First Post
@ Velmont I took the liberty of making a tumble check for Rinaldo to get inside the behir's reach. While you failed the check, he also missed on his AoO.

I have no problem with that. I would have done so if I would have though I had not forgotten the reach. Pretty happy that the Combat expertise have been useful.

Also, both Rinaldo and Hogarth are unaffected by the stench: 1d20+6=20, 1d20+9=21

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
ooc: Tenebrynn is affected by the stench... blech will post actions after behir.

[sblock=ooc]fort dc. 15 (1d20+9=11)

Hp 64/64
AC 28 (t 16;ff 24)
Fort 9; Refl 6; Will 4

Spells Memorized: 5/7/5/5/4 per day *1/spell level divination
caster level: 8
0th - Detect Magic*, Light, Mage Hand, Message, Light
1st - True Strike*, Ashnar's Spellstrike, Featherfall, Magic Missile x4
2nd - Detech Thoughts*, Invisibility, Rope Trick, Scorching Ray x2 1
3rd - Dispel Magic, Clairvoyance*, Fireball, Daylight, Fly
4th - Scrying*, Black Tentacles, Wall of Ice, Mnemonic Enhancer[/sblock]

Knight Otu

First Post
ooc: Neat spell, KO. How do you figure it works against creatures that don't require their limbs to move (like the behir)? I assume it doesn't work against legless creatures.

[sblock](Since the spell can activate from the victim simply trying to wiggle out of the shackles, my thinking is that it should work in either case, but I admit that the wording implies that the spell needs the victim to have limbs - I didn't think quite that far when I wrote up that spell, but I wouldn't say that it's necessarily a given that they're needed. This version has been compared with Tasha's hideous laughter, which has its own advantages and limitations - I'll do a search to see if the limb issue had been brought up when I did the proposal, and I just don't remember it.)[/sblock]

As the trogs close in, everyone picks up on the unholy stench these creatures can produce. Everyone needs to make a FORT save (DC 15) or be sickened for 10 rounds.

Ashnar had heard about the troglodytes and their stench, and tries to steek herself against it, but she breathes in at an inopportune moment and nearly retches (1d20+7=10)

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
ooc: I've received the DM Credits for my adventure that finished. I'll wait till you are good with me levelling Tenebrynn up before I apply any for XP. Thanks again Heckler.

Remove ads