Office of the Harbourmaster

changer

First Post
Captain Torion grunts and writes "BOARDS ON SHOES" on the equipment list.

Alanax says, "All right, our business here is done. Janus, could I speak to you for a moment before you leave? On a matter of craft."

Janus stays sitting as the others leave the room.

"Master Alanax, I am at your service." Janus stands and bows deeply. "I will endevour to answer any questions you may have."

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
When he enters the shop, he does just as Murphy told him: Good day, shopkeep! Are you Edgar? Yes? An acquaintance of mine named Murphy told me to seek you out. He removes his cloak, showing it's charred and holey-ness to Edgar. I'm looking for another olive cloak to patchwork together with this one. I'd normally just leave it with you, my good man, but I'm set to sail within the hour for the arctic cold. Do you perhaps have needle, thread and scissor along with the cloak that I can purchase and I'll try my hand at it?

"Oh, you're a friend of MURPHY's, are you? Well, that brokedown, lord-licking son of a warlock OWES ME MONEY!" The eruption of rage is startling in such a dapper looking man... but then he ruins it by doubling over with laughter. "A joke, friend, only a joke. Murphy's done me some service, so I think I can give a friend of his a good deal. Although... is your mind QUITE made up about this... patchwork... idea? And in OLIVE, with your skin? Ah, well, I can see that it is. Let me see..." He rummages through a pile of fabric in the corner, coming up with something that's a fair match for the colour of your cloak. "It will be a bit short, I think, but between the two there should be plenty of fabric to fix that. Now, I don't usually sell my tools and thread... alterations cost a pretty penny," he giggles, "... but since you're a friend of Murphy's I can let you have them for cost. 30 silver for the lot."

Despite his hurry, Balth is able to talk the man down to 20 silver, and still feels that he overpayed slightly. Still, the cloak seems to be of good quality, so he heads for the ship in relative satisfaction.

"Master Alanax, I am at your service." Janus stands and bows deeply. "I will endevour to answer any questions you may have."

[sblock=Janus]
Alanax lowers his voice. "Naturally, the first priority of this mission is to dispel the freezing effect, and I don't wish to override that. But I think it would be of great help in the future to know as much as we can about the magic behind it - powerful magic, obviously. Understanding it is the first step in countering it and preventing any further occurences. If it was created by a ritual - or some sort of experiment gone wrong - there may be items of great intellectual value to be found on the island. Material components, experimental notes and logs - spellbooks, perhaps. If you should come across anything of the sort, I should be obliged if you'd turn them over to me, rather than destroying them. Unless, of course, you feel that destroying them is necessary to break the spell - I don't wish to distract you from that main purpose."

"Still, if you find anything that I could learn from, I would be grateful.
I could reward you handsomely for the service." He glances toward the gray scribe, who is paying no attention, and lowers his voice still further. "My employers, in their stinginess, don't budget for such things, so you would need to give the items in question directly to me. In fact, please don't mention this to anyone else. I could get in trouble for disbursing unauthorized funds, and you could get in trouble for accepting them. Not anything ILLEGAL, mind you - just that skirting Guild rules would be a black mark on your record and make it harder to do business with the authorities in the future.

But still, a nice bit of coin in your pocket would do well for funding your own researches, eh? Or whatever ambitions you may have. I'll pay you separately for each book or artifact you can give me, so if you can find much you stand to make a good deal. Just keep this between us... Do we have a deal?"
[/sblock]

[sblock=Everyone]
Anyone who wishes to hang around and try to listen in on this conversation as they leave the room can make a Perception roll. That includes Murphy, but not Balth, as based on what he's already posted he left in too much of a hurry.
[/sblock]

changer

First Post
"Oh, you're a friend of MURPHY's, are you? Well, that brokedown, lord-licking son of a warlock OWES ME MONEY!" The eruption of rage is startling in such a dapper looking man... but then he ruins it by doubling over with laughter. "A joke, friend, only a joke. Murphy's done me some service, so I think I can give a friend of his a good deal. Although... is your mind QUITE made up about this... patchwork... idea? And in OLIVE, with your skin? Ah, well, I can see that it is. Let me see..." He rummages through a pile of fabric in the corner, coming up with something that's a fair match for the colour of your cloak. "It will be a bit short, I think, but between the two there should be plenty of fabric to fix that. Now, I don't usually sell my tools and thread... alterations cost a pretty penny," he giggles, "... but since you're a friend of Murphy's I can let you have them for cost. 30 silver for the lot."

Despite his hurry, Balth is able to talk the man down to 20 silver, and still feels that he overpayed slightly. Still, the cloak seems to be of good quality, so he heads for the ship in relative satisfaction.

[sblock=Janus]
Alanax lowers his voice. "Naturally, the first priority of this mission is to dispel the freezing effect, and I don't wish to override that. But I think it would be of great help in the future to know as much as we can about the magic behind it - powerful magic, obviously. Understanding it is the first step in countering it and preventing any further occurences. If it was created by a ritual - or some sort of experiment gone wrong - there may be items of great intellectual value to be found on the island. Material components, experimental notes and logs - spellbooks, perhaps. If you should come across anything of the sort, I should be obliged if you'd turn them over to me, rather than destroying them. Unless, of course, you feel that destroying them is necessary to break the spell - I don't wish to distract you from that main purpose."

"Still, if you find anything that I could learn from, I would be grateful. I could reward you handsomely for the service." He glances toward the gray scribe, who is paying no attention, and lowers his voice still further. "My employers, in their stinginess, don't budget for such things, so you would need to give the items in question directly to me. In fact, please don't mention this to anyone else. I could get in trouble for disbursing unauthorized funds, and you could get in trouble for accepting them. Not anything ILLEGAL, mind you - just that skirting Guild rules would be a black mark on your record and make it harder to do business with the authorities in the future.

But still, a nice bit of coin in your pocket would do well for funding your own researches, eh? Or whatever ambitions you may have. I'll pay you separately for each book or artifact you can give me, so if you can find much you stand to make a good deal. Just keep this between us... Do we have a deal?"
[/sblock]

[sblock=Everyone]
Anyone who wishes to hang around and try to listen in on this conversation as they leave the room can make a Perception roll. That includes Murphy, but not Balth, as based on what he's already posted he left in too much of a hurry.
[/sblock]

Janus ponders for a while....then replies, quietly.
[sblock=Alanax]
"Hmmm, I do not wish to do anything inappropriate or something that could jeopardize further employment with any agency. However, as there has been no negotiations or rulings on artifacts found, then I suppose, if, I was to be in possession of said artifacts I would be in the position to 'transfer' these to the proper authorities. This would be, of coarse, after such time as has been ascertained the proper forms and quarantine levels have been reach as prescribed under the Kingdom Magica Arcanum Artifact Act of which you are, I am sure, aware and under said clause do I find my self bound to honor as an ex-patriot of this Kingdom. Of coarse the resultant research into the viability of said material would need to be reimbursed by those benefiting from the research. (Sub section 11b as stated in the aforementioned act) Any material found to be in addition of previously known Arcana would of coarse be needed to be facsimiled forthwith and be added to the Arcanum Knowledge Store in the Great Librium Arcana, of which I am a member and will take responsibility for this act. This is all for posterity, of course."
[/sblock]

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
you type [ sblock=ooc] without that space then when you're done you type [ /sblock]

Alternatively, you can hit quote on someone's post and it will show you the formating they used in their post.
[/sblock]

changer

First Post
[sblock=ooc]
you type [ sblock=ooc] without that space then when you're done you type [ /sblock]

Alternatively, you can hit quote on someone's post and it will show you the formating they used in their post.
[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc]
Thanks heaps, this will make things neater.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Janus ponders for a while....then replies, quietly.
[sblock=Alanax]
"Hmmm, I do not wish to do anything inappropriate or something that could jeopardize further employment with any agency. However, as there has been no negotiations or rulings on artifacts found, then I suppose, if, I was to be in possession of said artifacts I would be in the position to 'transfer' these to the proper authorities. This would be, of coarse, after such time as has been ascertained the proper forms and quarantine levels have been reach as prescribed under the Kingdom Magica Arcanum Artifact Act of which you are, I am sure, aware and under said clause do I find my self bound to honor as an ex-patriot of this Kingdom. Of coarse the resultant research into the viability of said material would need to be reimbursed by those benefiting from the research. (Sub section 11b as stated in the aforementioned act) Any material found to be in addition of previously known Arcana would of coarse be needed to be facsimiled forthwith and be added to the Arcanum Knowledge Store in the Great Librium Arcana, of which I am a member and will take responsibility for this act. This is all for posterity, of course."
[/sblock]

[sblock=Janus]
Alanax gets a pained expression on his face as he tries to work out what was just said. "I think.... I think that means we have a deal." As he turns to leave, he continues, "Since obviously I can't stop you from keeping anything you find for yourself - or this Great Librium - your caveats change our situation not at all. Just know that I stand ready with payment should you choose to sell."
[/sblock]

[sblock=Murphy]
As Alanax is trying to keep his words away from the clerk, he doesn't seem to realize that he can be heard quite clearly from your place in the hall. Although you miss a few words here and there, you can get the gist of the discussion easily.

As you hear the discussion winding down, you quickly duck out of the building through a side door before Janus can emerge and see you standing there.
[/sblock]

With your business concluded,
you all make your way to the Kraken's Grasp and find your places aboard. Balth is already there, sitting in an out of the way corner of the deck and mending something. Sailors are rushing back and forth loading supplies, forcing you to keep your wits about you to avoid being cursed at as you get in the way.

From the fo'c'sle, Captain Torion sees you standing near the gangplank and yells back at you, "Get below and find a bunk! An' make sure yer belongings are lashed down tight - it'll be a stormy ride!"

[sblock=OOC]Next post from me, tonight or tomorrow, will be the Kraken departing and the adventure beginning! Woohoo![/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
Murphy smiles to himself as he whistles an old sea shanty.

"Yes, this will be a fine journey...a fine journey indeed" he thinks to himself as he settles in for the ride.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Larinza watchs all the conversation and then steps off to look for bearthing on the ship.

"When you all get ready for business, wake me, I'll be taking a nap."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases