Office of the Harbourmaster

JoeNotCharles

First Post
The Harbourmaster's office is a ramshackle building that leans drunkenly out over the waterfront. Inside, a bevy of clerks are rushing back and forth, screaming at each other and waving papers. When you can finally catch one's attention, he directs you to a side room, which is comparatively dim and quiet.

The room is dominated by a long table, draped with white cloth embroidered with an alternating pattern of shields and anchors. There are three chairs, but only the far left one is occupied, by a thin, elderly man scratching on parchment. As you enter, he motions you to one of the semicircle of facing chairs, rings a small bell, and continues writing, ignoring you.

After a few moments, the door opens and a large man with a bushy reddish-black beard lumbers in, closely followed by a thin man in a blue robe covered with arcane and elemental symbols. "Well met," says the man as he takes the center chair. "I'm Cap'n Torian, one of th' Guild's senior merchant captains. This here are Weathermaster Alanax, and Senior Clark Rutherby. Thank 'e for answering th' summons."

Alanax sits down beside him and idly twirls his neatly pointed black beard. "We'll be evaluating your application," he says, "But if you don't mind, we'll wait and see if anyone else turns up before briefing you. No sense in repeating ourselves."

Rutherby grunts and keeps writing.

Moon_Goddess

Have I really been on this site for over 20 years!
Larinza walks in the door and straight up to the desk. Firstly what's the job, Secondly what's it pay, and third, I don't want to hear any gruff about having a woman on a ship, are we understanding each other?"

JoeNotCharles

First Post
"Har!" says Torian. "A take charge kind o' woman. Ye must've dealt with th' Guilds before.

Pay's the standard for hazardous work - 400 gold..."

The clerk harumphs and, without look up, says, "500 gold. The allocation was increased last month. It's posted in the bulletin."

"Oh, right, uh... 500 gold. Sorry. Fer the mission, not per person. As fer the mission - ye'll be dealin' with a navigational hazard, o' sorts, but we'll wait fer a full crew to show up before speakin' of it."

changer

First Post
"You have one more crew member to add to that tally good captain."

States Janus from the door, catching the last of the conversation.

"500 gold, good, that will do nicley."

His scythe shaped staff swinging dangerously, Janus walks into the room and takes a seat next to the young woman.

"Well Met, I am Janus Reinhardt. Journeyman Wizard and student of the Ice Father, Stalis Guvard. I am here in response to the scroll hung in The Hanged Man."

renau1g

First Post
Following closely on the heels of Janus, a man dressed in loose-fitting clothing and only carrying a dagger at his hip, steps into the room, narrowly dodging the mage's staff.

"I to am interested in this also, what can Murphy Tang do fer you?" the human announces with a flourish as he surveys the other members of this crew and smiles.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
"The Ice Father?" says the wizard in blue. "How appropriate. Fighting cold with cold - I hope it's effective."

"We'll need at least one more person to round out the team, I think. Possibly two." Captain Torian nods in agreement. "In the meantime, why don't we start with the paperwork? Fill these in, please."

The old clerk stands abruptly and makes his way around the table with a jerky, shuffling gate, arms full of papers. He hands each of you a form, brusquely pointing out the areas of interest: "Name", "Age", "Profession", "Next of Kin / Beneficiary". Then he returns silently to his seat and stretches as he sits.

"Oh," he says suddenly, in a papery voice. "Don't neglect the employment history. Very important - the mayor insists on it." Turning the paper over, you see a section labelled, "Contracts Completed for the City of Daunton or other Authorities in the past Twelve Months".

renau1g

First Post
"I ain't much fer forms, why don't we just cut to the chase?" Murphy asks, as he leans against the far wall, cleaning his finger nails with the tip of the dagger.

changer

First Post
"Fighting Cold with cold, is that indicative of the perils we face? I, like my master have a preferance for cold spells but I DO have a wide range of powers. Where I studied, cold suited more as ice can foul rigging and snap timbers, where as fire can be dangerous to your own crew when fighting onboard ships. However, if it is not effective I will adapt and overcome any challenge."

Janus takes the offered form and quill, quietly cast Mage Hand and fills out the form.

Name: Janus Reinhardt
Profession: Journeyman Wizard
Kin/Beneficiary: Unknown/Stalis Guvard
Employment: Culled the rat plague in the city of Harsiv. Volunteer Fire Fighter in the city of Harsiv. Passed Initiation to Journeyman Wizard in the Kingdom of Jade. Repeled boarders on the 'Sea Mynx', under Captain Smythe, during voyage to Daunton.

"I have completed your form sir. Now, may I enquire? Whats the navigational hazard?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases