D&D 4E Firearms in 4E

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Powers which target Reflex are generally only special specifically because they target Reflex. Otherwise, they're sub-par. That's the issue.

Actually, WEAPON POWERS that target Reflex are special because they allow you to add your weapon proficiency bonus (+3 in the case of the generic longsword) when trying to hit an almost-always-lower-than-AC target. The way the defenses are set up in 4e. If you look statistically, a WEAPON POWER that targets AC will hit less over the course of the game than a WEAPON POWER that targets Reflex. This is the benefit of of letting a WEAPON POWER (notice I keep stressing the WEAPON portion) target Reflex.

By making the proficiency bonus of the firearm +0 (which is unlike any other weapon listed in any source) you are effectively making the firearm a sort of Martial Implement. Sure, you now get to target a lower defense all the time, but you also gave up a +2 or a +3 with every attack to do so, which in the end balances out.

Right, so it's a rather pointless property.

Only if you consider something that is "balanced but different" to be useless. I think the idea of Martial Implements is something that would mesh well with the current ruleset and would be a lot easier to fold into the rules than coming up with some completely different rule system to tack on.

DS

Felon

First Post
Actually, WEAPON POWERS that target Reflex are special because they allow you to add your weapon proficiency bonus (+3 in the case of the generic longsword) when trying to hit an almost-always-lower-than-AC target. The way the defenses are set up in 4e. If you look statistically, a WEAPON POWER that targets AC will hit less over the course of the game than a WEAPON POWER that targets Reflex. This is the benefit of of letting a WEAPON POWER (notice I keep stressing the WEAPON portion) target Reflex.

By making the proficiency bonus of the firearm +0 (which is unlike any other weapon listed in any source) you are effectively making the firearm a sort of Martial Implement. Sure, you now get to target a lower defense all the time, but you also gave up a +2 or a +3 with every attack to do so, which in the end balances out.
Yes, you've already said all of this. You weren't ignored, rest assured. Now, what folks are trying to point out in response is that those powers that already target Reflex are rendered moot by letting any power target Reflex. What does the rogue's Piercing Strike do, other than target Relfex? You've killed its niche.

Only if you consider something that is "balanced but different" to be useless.
I consider something that provides no real benefit to be useless, as that syncs up with the actual definition of the word. Since this approach to firearms has bee repeatedly been described as resulting in a wash (targeting a lower defense with comparably lower chance to hit), then again I ask, what's the point of it?

For Pete's sake, man, have you never watched A Fistful of Dollars? Or Back to the Future pt III, at least? :)

Last edited:

Felon

First Post
I'm not saying bows should suck, and that firearms should be the only ranged weapon used ever. I'm saying that no weapon should be the "USE THIS AND ONLY THIS FOREVER" weapon. Give crossbows, bows, and firearms each a different advantage so players can go "Oh man, crossbows are awesome, I want to use one!" instead of "Oh man, crossbows are awesome...thematically! But my god do they suck too much to use it!"
Yes, they've botched this completely. You use crossbows because you're not proficient in bows, or because you're a rogue. That's it.

JiffyPopTart

Bree-Yark
Yes, you've already said all of this. You weren't ignored, rest assured. Now, what folks are trying to point out in response is that those powers that already target Reflex are rendered moot by letting any power target Reflex. What does the rogue's Piercing Strike do, other than target Relfex? You've killed its niche.

The power remains useful because it allows you to attack Reflex AT THE SAME TIME AS you get to add your weapon proficiency bonus with your chosen weapon. That is something that ALL of the implement powers that attack non-AC don't let you do.

Or, let me offer you these two simple examples.

You have a rogue who has both a crossbow and a pistol. You have piercing strike (which targets Reflex). The crossbow will always be 10% more likely to hit whenever you use the power because of its proficiency bonus. The pistol hasn't made the power useless compared to any other power, in fact the pistol is kinda lame when used with any already-reflex-attacking power.

You have a rogue who has both a crossbow and a pistol. You have deft strike (Which targets AC). The crossbow and the pistol should have a roughly equal chance of hitting the target. Sometimes (when the Reflex defense is a lot lower than the AC) the pistol is a better choice and sometimes (when the Reflex defense is closer to the AC) its a worse choice. Its not better in every situation and remains an interesting different-but-balanced option. Much like choosing between polearms, axes, swords, and picks.

And to answer the question of "Why add it if its the same" I say "Because it fits your story, or in my case, because you have a bucketload of Chaos Dwarf minis that you want to use in your DnD game.

DS

darjr

I crit!
I think I'm beginning to like +0 proficiency bonus and reflex vs ac. I'm not totally convinced and will have to try it in play.

I'm really intrigued by the idea of making them 'encounter' weapons. I do wonder about giving them extra omphf or effects and then seeing them getting stacked with other encounter or daily powers. How would that get mitigated? Maybe a power needs a 'firearm' keyword? So they effectively become 'basic' attacks or 'extra' encounter powers all their own? That way you could give them 'thunder' or 2d12 or some such extra pow as their effect and not worry about it getting used with a strikers daily.

Various points:

1) Early firearms were woefully innacurate. Until rifled barrels and quality mass production came about, a decent hunting rifle or duelling pistol was a hell of an expensive item as it had to be hand-made by a master craftsman. All other guns were woeful, pistols were literally used at ranges of 10 feet and the like, the user having several to pull out and dispatch foes and throw away after each shot. Muskets had to be fired in volleys so the storm of lead would hit something.

2) Guns are *not* "doomsday weapons", jeesh. The physical damage a sword or mace does is usually a hell of a lot worse than a gun does. There are exceptions to that though, like shotguns and .50 cal Browning etc which do immense damage, and autofire weapons can do awful damage due to number of hits.

In general (caveat!), edged weapons kill by blood loss or amputation (stab wounds are more lethal than gunshot wounds on average), blunt kills by shock and destroyed organs, bullets by shock and slower blood loss.
Bullets often incapacitate you straight way, that useful ability, their range, potential to pierce cover, and rate of fire is what makes them great.

3) Armour can stop bullets! It's just not as effective against them though. Chain mail bullet proof vests were made and used up to the 1960s at least (relative-in-law of mine's father was in that business ;) ). Bullets have a tendency to richochet off buttons, never mind plate steel.
However bullets are better at penetrating armour than an arrow. I wouldn't want to risk it, lol, but plate armour can deflect a bullet, kevlar though is a lot better at stopping bullets out-right.

4) Crossbows were still used by people long after firearms came out, as hunting weapons, as they were cheaper, more reliable and more accurate.
And until the advent of cordite bullets, there was always a risk of causing a fire as a risk (burning wadding or primer from matchlocks and flintlocks caused fires)

5) There is an enormous difference between a modern rifle, or even a rifled flintlock, and the truly woeful matchlocks of previous times.

6) Older fireams did have good knockdown potential because of their very large, slow, lead bullets, which are better man-stoppers than modern small, bronze coated, high velocity bullets.

The best manstopper there is (short of a .50 calibre machine gun) is the humble 12 gauge shotgun, because of its heavy load of slow, lead pellets. Such weapons dump their energy into you, not into what's behind you.

the old British .455 pistol was greatly better at stopping an attacker in their tracks than a modern 9mm as an example of this, but the modern 9mm can hold triple the amount of bullets and is a heck of a lot more accurate.

7) Yes firearms are easier to learn, but the limits of the quality of the weapon is a real problem. You may be a superb shot, but if you're musket is only accurate to a max of 40 yards, well...you'd be much better served by a crossbow.

8) Muzzle loaders are very slow to load! No two ways about it. Slower than a foot-stirrup crossbow (which is what most crossbows would be, not winched).

So I think Firearms should be, for 4th ed:
Simple weapons, (they are easy to learn)

+3 Prof (they do penetrate armour and cover better)

Muzzle loaders damage should be 2d4 damage for a pistol, and 3d4 for a musket. They hit extremely hard because of the big, slow lead bullets (massive things by today's standards, usually around .50 to .70 calibre!)

Muzzle loader's range sucked, however, pistol range should only be 5, and musket 5/10.
A masterwork muzzleloading pistol's range would be 5/10 and a masterwork rifle 10/20

Costs for a pistol would be 150 gp, and 350 gp for a rifle. Masterwork items would cost ten times that!

Modern weapons add in more complications: light vs heavy calibre, hollow point vs FMJ rounds, scopes, etc.
basically a modern target rifle, in hands of a marksman can hit PENNIES at 100 yards, I used ot shoot match heads at 25 yards with a .22 for fun, when talking about accuracy.

Suggested damage (but I have no idea how you'd want ot work out auto fire etc).
.50 calibre Browning and "elephant gun" cartidges should do about 3d6 damage. (.50 calibres do as much damage as a light ballista can, and it can fire hundreds of rounds per minute)
12 gauge shotgun should do 4d4 damage out to 6squares, and 2d4 out to 15 squares (up close, yeak, very nasty)
.45 ACP, .44 magnum, and .30 calibre/7.62 mm rifle bullets should do 1d12 damage
5.56 mm do 1d10 damage (that's actually a deer hunting rifle cartridge, FYI)
9mm and .38 do 1d8 damage
.22, .25 ACP do 1d6 damage (a hell of a lot of folk get killed by those tiny bullets!)

Giff RULE!!! ;)
[sblock="Giff!"]
giff_character2.jpg

[/sblock]

ProfessorCirno,
agreed on crossbows to an extent! :)
Said for a long time crossbows, ballistae and catapults should be treated as having a Strength rating, because that's EXACTLY what mehcanical advantage gives you!
Crossbows should be a 1 round reload (or a Move action with a fast reloading feat), but add a Strength bonus to damage.

A weak wizard doens't have the strength to pull a longbow, but he can use all his muscles, instead of arms/chest, to span a crossbow to give the same force to the bolt as to the lonbgbow's arrow. So there's no difference in impact damage of either the mighty archr or the weak wizard.
The archer CAN fire more shots though than the wizard...but bows are hell of a lot more innacurate than crossbows, and thus a novice with a bow is damn near useless but a novice with a crossbow is still useful.

For 4th ed, IMHO, a Crossbow should do 1d8 damage +4 Strength damage bonus, unless the user has a higher bonus, but as said, take 1 round to reload, if you don't have a fast relaod Feat.

Slings are very good weapons, far superior to their D&D rules, but they should not be simple, they should be Superior weapons as they are very difficult to learn to use!

Sling: Superior weapon +2 prof, damage 1d8, High Crit, range 10/20. Reload = move (or minor with rapid reload feat)

In reality, slings are not as accurate as a bow, and no where near as accurate as as a crossbow hence +2 hit bonus, not +3 as for most SUperior weapons. Slings have no sights, no aim marks, no arrow points to give a proper aim by, thus they are weapons of pure skill/feel and thus lack accuracy.

However for D&D rules Susperior wepaons must offer an advantage, thus, High Crit.

You couuld argue that's ok, because sling shot (lead slugs) don't need to pierce armour to cause severe injury, they are blunt weapons, and archaelogical evidence shows victims dead by shattered bones (and presumably organs), yet the slugs didn't pierce the armour...the impact energy was sufficient though to drive the armour into the victim or impact energy burst organs.
lead slugs are much better projectiles than stones, maybe rules need ot account for that?

IMHO, relaoding should NOT be free for a bow, it sure isn't free in real life! bows should reload "Minor".

:)

Last edited:

AngeltheTechrat

First Post
Before saying how I think Guns should be handled, I first want to talk about how I think other projectile weapons should be handled.

I have a lot of problems with the existing ranged weapons already. Some of them are problems I've had for a long time, though.

I have problems with the Sling and Hand Crossbow being Load Free, and even with the Crossbow being Load Minor. They just aren't that quick to load (unless you're Christopher Lambert's Beowulf..).

I have no problem with Longbow and Shortbow being Load Free, because you don't actually "load" them (unless we're talking about more modern compound bows where you have to slide the arrow through a guide in the bow itself, which we aren't).

I have a problem with the Hand Crossbow having a lower damage than both Bows, and I have a problem with the Crossbow having a lower damage than the Longbow. Crossbows have more force behind them. If you practice with a bow, you often fire into targets on the front of bales of hay. Why? Because arrows fired from a bow will stick in hay. If you practice with a Crossbow (or gun) you fire into targets hanging on or ub front of cork or fiber-board or even wood. Why? Because bolts (or bullets) would go through hay. (Yes I know this isn't hard and fast for all uses, but it's essentialy true, especialy with the style of weapons we're speaking of. Again, we're not talking about compound bows with a harder draw.)

I have a problem with the Sling and Hand Crossbow being stat clones of eachother, save that the Sling is 1/25th the cost and weighless. WHAT?! Why should anyone ever buy a Hand Crossbow?

One I've had for a LONG time, is that I have a problem with a Sling being a Simple weapon. I can use a bow, and I probably won't hit the bull's-eye, but the arrow WILL wind up in the general vicinity of the target. I can fire a Crossbow, likely with the same or slightly better results. But if I'm whirling a stone around in a sling and I let it fly, I would be damned lucky to hit the broad side of a barn ...from the INside. In fact, I'd say I only have a 1-in-4 chance of hitting the desired wall.

Why are Crossbow and Hand Crossbow the same price?

-----

A larger Crossbow is harder to cock than a Hand Crossbow. Sometimes even an additional tool is needed, but we'll assume Heavy Crossbows like that aren't being addressed here. So yes. I think a Crossbow should have a longer reload than a Hand Crossbow. That is sound.

I think Sling should be a Millitary weapon, and if Clerics, Barbarians, and Halflings MUST have them, then add them to the Class or Racial weapon proficiencies.

I think the Hand Crossbow should have similar damage to the Longbow and certainly higher than the Shortbow, and that the Crossbow should have a higher damage than the Longbow. I think the ranges should be likewise.

I think the Hand Crossbow should be Load Minor and the Crossbow should be Load Move.

This is how the ranged weapons in the PHB look now:

ranged_131.jpg

This is how I honestly think it should look:

ranged2_174.jpg

And this is how I think firearms should look, you know.. if the rest of the ranged weapons were more sensible:

rangedg_118.jpg

Firearm Bullets (20): 1 gp - 1 lb
Gunpowder (20 charges): 15 gp - 2 lb
Firearm Cleaning Kit: 5 gp - 1 lb

A gun that is used and not cleaned after an extended rest loses its Proficiency bonus and jams on a natural attack roll of 1 until it is cleaned.

Last edited:

IanArgent

First Post
Angel, you probably should have forked that. It's obvious from the changes for ranged weapons from 3E to 4E that they were subjected to Fun > Realism. Load Standard is gone because of the action economy; crossbows are statistically inferior to conventional bows because crossbows are Simple weapons and conventional bows are Military. Slings are Simple not because they require no training, but because in the implied setting everyone learns how to use one as a youth (slings being cheap to make and an easy ranged weapon against roving predators). The sling vs. hand crossbow is an artifact of the granularity of the system (and outside of first level, who cares how much they cost?)

Given the constraints of the currently extant ranged weapon tables and the desire for firearms either to be used to open the fight before closing to melee or to have characters carry multiples of them, I chose to go with making them essentially encounter-powered items, using the already extant ranged weapons as a balance guide. Yes, I toyed with changing the defense used against them, but that felt pretty clunky to me even before the problems with powers was pointed out.

Functionally, I ended up with a crossbow or a longbow that has a power of "once per encounter this weapon gains the Brutal property" at the cost of range and a certain amount of money. I can't decide whether it should be Brutal 1 or 2 - I'm thinking that Brutal 2 is a bit high, but Brutal 1 is a tad low. All things considered, I am thinking of being conservative and making them Brutal 1 after all.

AngeltheTechrat

First Post
Angel, you probably should have forked that.

Er.. wwwhy? People have been decrying the handling of Crossbows as compaied to bows all throughout the thread. And my end result was how firearms might compare to that. I'm not off-topic.

It's obvious from the changes for ranged weapons from 3E to 4E that they were subjected to Fun > Realism.

I um.. I don't quite understand this comment's application.

Load Standard is gone because of the action economy;

Diiid I try to mark anything as Load standard?

crossbows are statistically inferior to conventional bows because crossbows are Simple weapons and conventional bows are Military. Slings are Simple not because they require no training, but because in the implied setting everyone learns how to use one as a youth (slings being cheap to make and an easy ranged weapon against roving predators).

I.. Don't recall this being described anywhere.

The sling vs. hand crossbow is an artifact of the granularity of the system (and outside of first level, who cares how much they cost?)

I dunno... someone who wants to buy one?

Given the constraints of the currently extant ranged weapon tables and the desire for firearms either to be used to open the fight before closing to melee or to have characters carry multiples of them, I chose to go with making them essentially encounter-powered items, using the already extant ranged weapons as a balance guide. Yes, I toyed with changing the defense used against them, but that felt pretty clunky to me even before the problems with powers was pointed out.

Functionally, I ended up with a crossbow or a longbow that has a power of "once per encounter this weapon gains the Brutal property" at the cost of range and a certain amount of money. I can't decide whether it should be Brutal 1 or 2 - I'm thinking that Brutal 2 is a bit high, but Brutal 1 is a tad low. All things considered, I am thinking of being conservative and making them Brutal 1 after all.

If you want to handle them as "Magic Items", then fine. I only chose to go the mundane weapon route. We're all just musing about possibilities anyway.

As for carrying multiple loaded guns, it would take two minor actions to switch them out anyway... You're certainly not going to keep "dropping" your guns, are you?

IanArgent

First Post
The majority of your previous post was about changing the existing weapon table, it appeared; I was suggesting you fork that part off.

My comment about Load Standard was mainly aimed at 3E's heavy crossbow taking either a full-round or a standard action (I don't have the books handy and I never used one when I was playing) to reload - though I apologize for implying that you had marked it as such. The application of Fun > Realism is that the crossbow is Load Minor - IE it doesn't impact the ability of the PC to move and fight.

Sling has been, in myth and history, the ranged weapon of the shepard boy.

Price of mundane weapons is mostly irrelevant above first level, and entirely irrelevant outside of the Heroic Tier - hence the advice in the DMG to allow a PC starting at higher level to start with as much mundane gear as they like.

Finally - I just don't see muzzle-loading firearms as being reloadable in a reasonable amount of time in combat; and if I did I would have indeed just reskinned the crossbow and bow. And to a certain extent I do expect PCs to either spend 2 minor (or a minor and free in the case of quickdraw) to change weapons or drop the firearm when sorely pressed. However, see how multitarget powers interact with weapons with load or draw actions (the time to draw/load is subsumed in the time to use the power).

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases