Cauldron-Born

Quickleaf

Legend
IMC, there is a race of mutant humans who combine traits of the witchers from Andrzej Sapkowski's "Witcher" series, pop culture and literature about psychics, a touch of "The Black Cauldron" by Lloyd Alexander, and a healthy dose of creative reinterpretation. They are known as the Cauldron-Born, and I use them instead of Dragonborn.

I'm looking for feedback, whether rules or fluff.

Cauldron-Born

Mysterious mutants, feared yet respected for their supernatural powers, with a yearning for secrets.

RACIAL TRAITS
Average Height: 5’6” – 6’2”
Average Weight: 135 – 220 lbs.
Vision: Low-light
Aura Sink: Whenever you enter an aura it shrinks so that it just barely encompasses you. If you are adjacent to a creature with an aura, its aura becomes 1 square.
Disease Resistance: +5 racial bonus to Fortitude defense and Endurance checks against disease.
Whispers: You can use unravel secrets or mystic wound as an encounter power.

Unravel Secrets (Cauldron-Born Racial Power)
You recall something seemingly impossible about the situation, as if a forgotten memory whispered in your ear.
Encounter
Minor Action, Ranged 10
Target: A creature, object, or place within range
Effect: Learn one weakness or vulnerability of the target. For example you might learn of a fire archon’s cold vulnerability, the only place an artifact may be destroyed, or a back door into the fortified castle.

Mystic Wound Cauldron-Born Racial Power
Whispers tell you where to strike as arcane energy flows from you, allowing you to pierce a creature’s resistances.
Encounter
Minor Action, Personal
Effect: Until the end of next turn any attack you make against one specific creature type of your choice ignores one resistance the creature possesses.

During the time of the Witch Queens mothers started giving birth to albino children with strange powers in their blood. They were dubbed the “cauldron-born” because their origin myth traces back to an artifact called the Whispering Cauldron. Cauldron-born are consumed with discovering secrets such as the source of magic and the origins of their race. Their frightening insights and freakish appearance often make them a target of persecution;enjoying their solitude many cauldron-born keep up a creepy act to dissuade the mobs.

Play a cauldron-born if you want…
• To gain an edge over supernatural opponents by piercing their defenses
• To play a haunted and mistrusted character with eerie powers
• To excel in any class you choose

Physical Qualities
Cauldron-born are albinos, having pale skin, silken white hair, and yellow, pink, or colorless eyes. At first glance, one could mistake a cauldron-born for a human (and whether they are a distinct race is debated), but upon approaching closer, something appears wrong about the cauldron-born. The proportion of their facial features is exaggerated slightly, with the eyes spaced slightly further apart, the nose slightly elongated and flattened, and the cheekbones sharply defined. And then there are the whispers – cauldron-born are surrounded by haunting barely audible whispers in the dead of night; some say these are the souls of cauldron-born passed on. Cauldron-born wear the same clothes as humans, but prefer concealing cloaks when traveling. They age at the same rate as humans, but are sterile. Cauldron-born births are a rare anomaly.

Playing a Cauldron-Born
Though none but the gods may know the truth of how the cauldron-born came to be, many sages agree that they were created by a foul ritual conducted in concert by the Foul Mistresses Three, a covey of hags whose demesnes once encompassed all of Ancerel. Most assume the ritual was a curse upon the human empire’s children, so that even after beheaded the hags would have their victory.
It is the forgotten places that cauldron-born are drawn to, whether a ruined keep hidden in the mists or a ramshackle shop down a ghetto alley. Even those cauldron-born who are not drowned as children rarely have any ties with their family, who is quick to disown the child, murdered or driven away by mobs, or turns the child over to the Witcher Order for training. Thus, cauldron-born are often loners.

yeturs

First Post
i like the idea, however, with aura sink, what if you are the one projecting the aura? or what if it is an allies aura? i think PC powers let you make auras anyway...

regardless looks nice and the powers look OK, i like the flavor behind unravel secrets ("hey mutant, wheres the back door?" mutant points, because his tongue just fell off) i love it :D

also if you could PDF it that would be nice, but that's not needed at all:p keep up the good work my chum

Quickleaf

Legend
Good points about the aura - I'll change it so that it just applies to enemy auras. Thanks for reading it over. Here's a pretty .pdf - still need to finish writing the fluff, but it's a lot clearer.

Attachments

• Cauldron-Born.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 220

heuristo

First Post
Great flavor, and not over-powered! I like the nod to Lloyd Alexander.

I'm troubled by the Unravel Secrets power. Although the flavor is good, the mechanics are either subject to the DM's whims, or potentially a spoiler for campaigns and adventures. The mechanics are most like some arcane/religion rituals of 10th level or higher, which seem out of range for racial powers. I'd offer a concrete, mechanical and immediate benefit instead. Perhaps a re-roll on knowledge checks, while keeping the flavor text.

Quickleaf

Legend
Hey heuristo, welcome to ENWorld! :)

I'm troubled by the Unravel Secrets power. Although the flavor is good, the mechanics are either subject to the DM's whims, or potentially a spoiler for campaigns and adventures. The mechanics are most like some arcane/religion rituals of 10th level or higher, which seem out of range for racial powers. I'd offer a concrete, mechanical and immediate benefit instead. Perhaps a re-roll on knowledge checks, while keeping the flavor text.
Hmm, I agree it's too vague and powerful as is. I like your fix, thanks!

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases