Collection of Records

covaithe

Explorer
Heck, I was expecting her to come back with the monkey!

And I'm a little doggone dissappointed that never happened!

Well, if it helps, it's possible that she may have been involved in alerting the guards to the goings-on at the "mansion". And they're kind of like monkeys.

Velmont

First Post
I might have miss something, but I quickly look at the thread where Palindrome die. In teh previous DM post, he was at 6. The roll that killed him seems to have done 15 damages, which means he should be at -9 and not -12... just curious what I miss.

covaithe

Explorer
I might have miss something, but I quickly look at the thread where Palindrome die. In teh previous DM post, he was at 6. The roll that killed him seems to have done 15 damages, which means he should be at -9 and not -12... just curious what I miss.

He got hit twice, once for 6 and once for 9 damage. But the first hit also gave him 3 cold vulnerability, so he took an extra 3 damage from the second attack, for a total of 18.

Kalidrev

First Post
KenHood: Well, then allow your team-mates to rez Palindrome and you can have your wish (well, maybe some day)!

Also, I am currently learning Map Tool for my Second Day of Mourning maps and I must say, it DOES have a little bit of a learning curve, but the results are unlike ANYTHING else you're going to get (especially when compared to those crappy on-line map makers that give you a grid and cartoon-like graphics)!

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Allow me, as well, to sing the praises (and dirges) of MapTool.

Generating battle maps in MapTool is worth the learning curve. RPTools also has video tutorials that walk you through the basics, and that makes up for a lot.

For basic maps, don't spend time making your own. There are plenty of free maps out on the web that will fit your needs and you can usually google them by category. These can easily be imported and gridded in the MapTool environment.

You can add objects and artwork in *png format from any other source (the forums at Dundjinni, Cartographer's Guild, etc... are great for getting free art and ideas).

The real power of MapTool, however, is that it's a full programming environment. You can reveal the map only from the PC's point of view (line of sight/effect, etc...) while maintaining content from the DM's point of view (traps, secret doors, hidden monsters, etc...). This capability is called "Fog of War", and it's way cool.

There is actually a forum thread in the community site that has macros for 4E rules, allowing a full game to be played online in real time. I tried it, but you have to be a super computer programmer to really take advantage of it. Way too much time IMO.

If you want to create your own maps, PSE (PhotoShop Elements) is a really cool (but expensive) tool. Dundjinni and Campaign Cartographper are neat and less expensive, but at the end of the day they rely on you to have PSE if you're going to make real eye-popping battle maps.

Here's my strategy. Start with free stuff (gimp instead of PSI and MapTool for generating screenshots of your map). If you want to get fancy, get PSE to make walls, objects, etc... more realistic. Then if you want some really fancy looking dungeons or overland maps get CC and/or Dundjinni. Beyond that is way too much time and money invested IMO.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases