Blacks in Comic Books?

Felon

First Post
From Astro City there are Black Rapier, Cleopatra II, MPH of the Honor Guard. Jack-in-the-Box; the original, second and third have all been black men. The Blue Knight too, though he's more a vigilante than hero.
Yeah, Astro City is a particularly ethnically-rich setting. You could go nuts just sorting through that cast of characters.

Without looking at what has already been listed this is what I can remember off the toip of my head-

MARVEL
Females
Storm
Dr. Reyes
Misty Knight

Males
War Machine
Cage (Power Man)
Trinity
Black Panther
Sun Spot
Night Thrasher
Rage
Blade
Goliath (recently killed however)
Gateway

DC
Females
Vixen
Amanda Walker

Males
Steel
Green Lantern (John Stewart)
Black Lightning

DC / ICON Series

Female
Rocket

Male
Static
Icon

I know there are more but I can't think just now.... :confused:

I forgot a few that I now remember-

The "Original" Captain America

Patriot (his son)

Captain Marvel or was it Photon? Avenger in lmid 80's made of light

Cyborg

Ulimate universe's Fury (Samual jackson)

Lt. Bridge (SHIELD operative that specialized in Mutants [6 pack days])

"M" from Generation- X (or was she south American?)

Dc's New Gods- The Cosmic Skier (or something strange like that Looked like a knight riding skis)

From Harbinger Comics- Sharika (sp) a phaser if I recall

Ultimate Fury reminds me of other racial "switches"- Power Supreme's Night hawk and its speedster

More names that are popping into my head-

Spawn
The assassin / hero that killed him )I'm going to wake up in the middle of the night yelling out his name :hmm: )

Rocket Racer and Cloak from Spidey (how did I forget him!?!)

Falcon from Captain America

The new Firestorm from DC

Remus Lupin

Adventurer
If you're writing an article, it might be useful to talk about "the New American" from "the American Way," since the comic foregrounds the whole issue of black identity and superhero comics.

Samnell

Explorer

Sunspot is generally depicted as Brazilian Portuguese, albeit given the history and that his father supposedly worked up from being a janitor or something (I think Claremont used the term "house boy" once.) he probably counts as black under any one drop rule. He's not portrayed that way, though. Usually he's treated as a more or less standard Brazilian/Generic Latin American character. I don't know that the comics have ever treated him as a black person, but I admit I'm not up on what he's done in the years since X-Force cracked up.

PhoenixDarkDirk

First Post
There was also Alex Wilder from Runaways.

Something else to consider would be comics licensed from other properties. Some of those have black people, such as Martha Jones in Doctor Who.

Rackhir

Explorer
Captain Marvel or was it Photon? Avenger in lmid 80's made of light

She went by both names. I forget when/why she changed, but she used both.

Dc's New Gods- The Cosmic Skier (or something strange like that Looked like a knight riding skis)

Black Racer was the name of the New God you're thinking of. He was essentially the angel of death, who came to claim the souls of the new gods who had died.

Felon

First Post
She went by both names. I forget when/why she changed, but she used both.
She dropped Captain Marvel so that Mar-Vell's son Genis could us it. Then he later changed his name to Photon, not knowing that was the new name she had also picked, leading to a humorous confrontation. She accommodated him again and changed her name to Pulsar, while Genis when off and got killed in a fashion that is about as permanent as any death in comics can be.

Remove ads