Adventure: Echoes of O

dimsdale

First Post
Kruk stares at Les, still pondering the meaning of the strange look he received: "Ok...right...thanks...well, we're off then. Let me finish this piece of fresh baked bread. Hmmm...it is sooo good!...I've never had anything like it."

He then turns to Raiyek, crumbs covering his beard "I'm sorry Raiyek...did you want some of this." pointing to the crumbs left on the plate "I...uh...ate the last piece."

[sblock=OOC]
Woe to all foes who stand before us for we are the masters of crits! :) Oops, I hope I didn't jinks us.
[/sblock]

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
"I ... what ... When did you get bread?! Bah, nevermind." Raiyek grumbles indecipherably to himself for a moment. "I'll come back when we're done," he mumbles in frustration. "Let's go find Brynden." In his head, he adds, He probably has garbage for bread, judging by his bar's name.[sblock=OOC]Have you ever thought about how utterly ridiculous adventuring parties must look? If you think about it, it's amazing that people even talk to the freaks. Take, for example, our little troupe. From tallest to shortest:

A very tall human (6'3"), fit but very thin (145 lbs - very thin for his height!), absolutely bald, wearing casual but practical clothes. No armor, no visible weapons. Ok, he stands out a bit due to his height, but he looks normal ... until you see who he's with.

An elf, quite tall by elf standards (6'), wearing full plate, big shield, a javelin and sword, usually either carrying or wearing a helm. Now that'll stand out in a crowd ... :blush:

Next is a gith woman, positively dwarfed by the first two (only 5'1"), and also with little extra meat on her bones.. Tough, alien, carrying a big, clinking sack, and wearing hide armor. Ok, on her own she'd stand out. Pair her up with two guys a foot taller than her, and we have one strange group.

Only a couple inches shorter (4'10"), a dwarf in full plate, carrying a huge axe. Bumbling, but definitely not someone you'd want to get into a fight with. He doesn't look odd for a dwarf ('armored' is pretty much synonymous with 'dwarf' ;)), but you have to admit dwarves would look a little comical. And again with the difference in heights!

And lastly, another dwarf. About the same height, but much less fit. And, as Don so eloquently put, he looks like an armored parrot...

Yes, we are one crazy looking group. If I was a slimy information lord, and they came into a bar looking for me, I'm not sure if I'd laugh or run ... probably both. :D[/sblock]

Last edited:

Vlastos

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Lord Sess, you forgot to add that Vlastos' entire sepia hued face (entire shorn head really) is both ribboned and criss-crossed with thin scar lines (and some wider gouges, too, not tastefully done) while the observant distended and thus cunning, nappy gith, Les, is clearly horny all the time. The young blooded and thinly experienced (in this regard) wizard is wistfully sure of this, having never met a gith yet having witnessed the wealthy Borius leer plainly enough at this one. This he maintains privately even as the planked back paladin elf, Raiyek, shivers in response to same evidence, and perhaps rightfully so, though the defender's reaction seems to favor at the core something perhaps yet more primal still between elf and gith. Simultaneously, bump-him-just-once Kruk is drop of a dime ready to explode into honed slaughtering as his at times unhandy yet hardened demeanor and cruelly notched axe readily attest. Last, the rotundus maximus, 7-Rabbit the Flamboyant, race maintains under intense social pressure and scrutiny - that's got to be good for his warlocking.

So, let them laugh, I say, and then watch them die!:D

[/sblock]
Stephans, hmm, says Vlastos cheerfully as still jittery he tips the halfling waitress a fistful of coppers before falling in behind Kruck.

I thought our waitress did an exemplary job for this sort of establshment with continuous expresso, and clearly Kruk got plenty of bread, he explains in earnest to Les and 7-Rabbit.

Are you feeling alright, Mr Raiyek, then asks the wizard in mock concern, turning to the mumbling paladin? You seem a bit out of sorts. Hungry then, eh? Well, you should have had some bread at Stephans.

Just don't let your pangs interfere with this business with Brynden, he intones somewhat to himself as his fingers clasp unconsciously around the cool basalt orb at the bottom of his left coat pocket and an old straight razor in his right.

Owch, mutters Vlastos under his breath, absent-mindedly and after a long second as he walks with cohorts through the crowded streets and steel bites into flesh.

[sblock=OOC]Epic Hoofchew cleave (notes to the enemy):

That Kruk is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity. Or remorse. Or fear. And it absolutely will not stop ever, until you are dead. :cool:
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
[sblock=OOC]I'm going to assume we find our way to Brynden's highly refined establishment. If that's not the case ... I'll adjust.

About our diversity ... heh, yeah, the reason people don't laugh at adventurers is probably because they're afraid they will kill you. ;) And Les' 'looks' ... they're just creepy man. At least that's the vibe I get off of them. Githyanki in general are kinda creepy. I mean, take a look at one, and imagine it smiling and staring at you with its head tilted. And not just any smile, this one's got thin lips and lots of long, pointy teeth. I'm sure Les is quite attractive ... just not when she's looking at someone like they're food. ;) Jibbly jibbly jibbly ... (any Homestar fans?)

I just noticed something ... it seems like all of us here are relatively new to PbP, haha. Or at least PbP on ENWorld, since I don't know what the rest of you do elsewhere. Should make things interesting. ;)[/sblock]
Raiyek is now stoic in the face of his bread-less adversity. "It just looked like good bread." His seriousness cracking for a moment, he smiles a little and adds, "It's alright, though. Now if we get into trouble, I have something to stay alive for - go back and try Stephan's bread," with a wink to Les.

As they travel further into the underbelly of Daunton, the paladin disperses with the banter. He is now fully alert for any danger - a motley group such as theirs wearing armor (obviously worth some money, and therefore worth thinking about taking) and other valuable items would be a prime target if they didn't watch themselves. His piercing elven eyes see through the shadows, and his gift for reading people tells him which people are thinking of trying to make them their mark and which are just going about their own business.

Finally, he sees a sign. It's a particularly obscene sign, one that would go well with the name 'the Harlot's Nipple'. Pointing the sign out, he inquires, "Is that it there?"
[sblock=Perception/Insight]In case you'd like rolls instead of passive scores, because I said I was on the lookout ;)
Perception (1d20+10=21), Insight (1d20+8=10). Wow ... at least there's other insightful people in the party!

You know, it's pretty sad that the paladin, of all people, is the eyes of the party. Sheesh, you guys would have trouble spotting an elephant sneaking up on you without me around :p (That reminds me - remember to add +1 Perception when you're within 5 squares of me).[/sblock]

Last edited:

Don Incognito

First Post
The bar is bigger on the inside than it appears; for a hole in the wall pub, it is certainly spacious. Various men, all dirty and unsavory looking, are busy drowning themselves in their various sorrows. The bar is suprisingly full, considering that it is only mid-day. A quick glance upward reveals shadows dancing in the rafters, although it could just be a trick of the light.

All conversations cease as the party enters the bar. Other than the occasional sipping noise and the dull crackle of the candles, silence has descended upon the bar.

[sblock=Raiyek only]You notice one dimunative humanoid sitting in a shadowed corner of the rafters[/sblock]

The bartender himself looks portly and world-weary, although through the grime you notice vaguely elven features. His long hair is shaggy and unattended to, and it waves slightly as he busies himself cleaning a dirty glass with an equally dirty rag. After a few awkward moments, he breaks the silence.

"You look like yer lost. Whadda we got, an elf, a cue-ball, a dwarf, a FRUITY dwarf, and a...a..." The barman squints at Les as he tries to figure out what, exactly, she is. "A...woman...thing. What brings you five to my bar? You lookin' fer a drunken wino to complete yer little group?"

The bar erupts in drunken laughter.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
[sblock=DM only]Hah! I totally knew there was going to be some shadowy person in the rafters as soon as you said shadows were 'dancing' up there. :p I love +10 Perception. :D

As for Raiyek's reaction, he's not surprised. He won't mention anything to the party, because that could give away the fact that he noticed - let him think he's got surprise. ;) I'll just try to keep him in my field of vision and keep an ear listening for him/her/it to move.[/sblock]Raiyek breaks into a grin and laughs along with the rest of the bar. His posture relaxes a bit in an attempt to look less of a threat and more at ease. "While that sounds like a fine idea, I'm afraid we aren't looking for more at the moment."

The paladin casually walks up to the bar, checking out the bar's patrons as he goes. He's mainly looking for any hidden weaponry, and to see which, if any, could be goons in Brynden's employ. When he reaches the bar, he turns his attention back to the bartender. "Master Brynden, I assume?" (ooc: if he's not Brynden, I'll save the rest of this for him) "An ale, please." In his head, he adds, Just another patron, nothing to see here...

After his ale arrives, the paladin leans forward nonchalantly, elbows on the bar and one hand around his drink. "We were told that you might happen to have some information we'd like," he half-whispers to Brynden. "What do you say, think we can come to an arrangement?" He smiles a small, somewhat conspiratorial smile, designed to put Brynden at ease.
[sblock=Roll-Out!]What was that about them laughing and then dying? :p

Here's the crunch (Perception and Insight included in case you want actual rolls instead of passive):
Perception for hidden weapons: 1d20+10=11 :-S
Insight for goons: 1d20+8=12 :-S:-S
Diplomacy for Brynden: 1d20+9=21 :)

I guess I should ask, though: in situations like this, would you prefer that we roll for ourselves, or would you prefer to roll it? I've been rolling in case you want us to roll, in order to save time, so don't feel like you need to humour me if you'd prefer to do it otherwise.[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Rabbit cackles, a little too loudly. "We already have a wino!" he says, pointing at Kruk.

Kruk laughs "Now that's a low blow Mr. 7-Rabbitt. You hurt my feelings. I better have an ale to ease the pain. Would you care to join me?" He motions to the bar keep and orders for both himself and 7-Rabbitt before 7-Rabbitt has a chance to reject his offer. "How about a couple pints of your finest brew?"

Kruk has no intention to drink the ale knowing that he might be needed in battle.

Don Incognito

First Post
[sblock=Roll-Out!]What was that about them laughing and then dying? :p

Here's the crunch (Perception and Insight included in case you want actual rolls instead of passive):
Perception for hidden weapons: 1d20+10=11 :-S
Insight for goons: 1d20+8=12 :-S:-S
Diplomacy for Brynden: 1d20+9=21 :)

I guess I should ask, though: in situations like this, would you prefer that we roll for ourselves, or would you prefer to roll it? I've been rolling in case you want us to roll, in order to save time, so don't feel like you need to humour me if you'd prefer to do it otherwise.[/sblock]

[sblock=OOC]Please, show your rolls. If I want to make hidden rolls, I'll just do it for you and not tell you.[/sblock]
[sblock=Raiyek]Nobody seems to be carrying, but every patron has (at the very least) a bottle in their hand. Its too dark to tell if the midget in the ceiling is armed[/sblock]

The barman nods, and fidgets behind the bar for a moment. He eventually places something on the table; it's the dirty glass he was working with, now only half-cleaned and filled with an unidentified brown liquid. His right hand covers the rim of the glass, indicating that the bartender isn't quite ready to relinquish the drink yet.

"I'm Brynden alright," he says, "and it depends on what yer lookin fer. I hear lotsa things 'bout the goings on 'round here. From the looks of ya, I'd say yer foreign mercs lookin' fer a way to break into the circuit, in which case yer outta luck. I don't got much truck with Gouki or his thugs."

Rabbit cackles, a little too loudly. "We already have a wino!" he says, pointing at Kruk.

The barman scowls at the foreign dwarf.

"The adults is tryin' ta have a conversation here, fruitcake. Kindly shut yer face hole."

Brynden glances to his patrons, who join him in a dark chuckle.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases