AGELESS Campaign Episode 2 - Temple of the Cat-Goddess

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapters 142, September 14, 1882, "Egyptian Vacation" Part 1: "With you the adventure never ends"

Standing outside their hotel, George was enjoying the beautiful weather, taking in the beauty of this Egyptian city while looking around for any potential complications. Things were humming along in the streets. People seemed happy that the Queen was on the throne, the rebels were disbanding and peace was returning. George strolled up the street a bit. He stopped at a local vendor and bought some lamb shawarma then ate it as he strolled back down to the hotel. Ruby still wasn't out yet so he went the other direction, pulling out a cigar and enjoying the odor.

George passed by a small shrine to the gods of the land. He stopped and stared at the small stone statue of Bast as he smoked his cigar. He smiled as he recalled all the events that had happened since they had come to Egypt. George nods his head, still smiling as he turns away. He doesn't take but three steps before he pulls up short again. A small store was selling food and offerings for the gods. George bought a red bead necklace, and a small piece of baklava. He returned to the shrine and draped the necklace around Bast's neck. He placed the honey pastry in her open hand. George stepped back admiring the offerings as he pulled on the cigar again. He took it out of his mouth and considered it. Taking one last drag he placed the still smoking cigar at Bast's feet. George gave a little tip of his hat to Bast before he turned away. He strolled back up the street, hands in his pockets, whistling a tune he couldn't quite identify, but somehow he knew it.

Suddenly he laughed. He could hear Ruby’s singular voice wafting out of the hotel. She was bubbly and happy, directing the valets what to do with all her bags and leaving directions for her family and friends in case they needed to contact them. Her face lit up when seeing George and she bounced over to him. She took his arm and smiled up at him. “Hello darling, are you ready for our next adventure?” George laughed himself now. He was in quite a good mood. "My love, with you the adventure never ends," says George as he bends to kiss her. "But yes, I am ready to leave; I don't even mind the work I need to do so long as I am with you."

Ruby beamed up at George. "Yes, quite true. I believe from the very beginning you've said our life would be an adventure together and so far you have certainly been right. I imagine someday we'll be old on a grand porch somewhere in rocking chairs just being quiet and still, enjoying our last days together." Ruby chuckled. "Okay maybe not quiet or still. I don't think that's in our cards." She squeezed his hand then started pulling him. "Let's go."

She dragged George over to the large opulent carriage that the Queen had loaned them from her own fleet. There was a flurry of activity as it was being loaded with their bags and prepped to go. George had some words with the driver while a footman opened the door for Ruby and helped her inside.
Inside was the most extravagant carriage Ruby had ever been in, even more so than Emery Shaw’s back in Promise City or her parent’s back in New York City. The seats were covered in thick red velvet and there was a small, lit crystal chandelier hanging from the ceiling. The far side contained a counter with a fruit and cheese platter, a small bar with many bottles, cut crystal glasses and an ice bucket filled with ice. Ruby ran her hand over the plush seat as she sat down and smiled. As George entered she commented, "We're going to have to get one of these darling!"

George raises an eyebrow. "Of course my love. This wouldn't stand out in Promise City at all. I am not even sure it would fit in in Manhattan. Of course I hear August Otto has some new horseless carriage in the works. But first my greedy little girl, let us simply enjoy this carriage, this trip. Live in this moment. Yes?" says George closing the door behind them and signaling the driver to begin. The coach lurches toward as they begin their journey. Ruby laughed heartily. "Yes, yes, your greedy little girl. I get to be greedy and you get to fulfill my every whim and desire. I think it works out for both of us." More giggles. She continued to grin as she mindlessly rubbed the velvet bench when the coach lurched forward, beginning its journey. "But what is this about a horseless carriage? What is the world coming to??"

She sighed as she looked out the window, drifting into her own thoughts. "We should enjoy every moment, you are right. You never know when things will suddenly and drastically change on you, rearranging your whole world." “You mean like landing in a revolution and having to play kingmaker?” asks George with a grin. “Indeed, though, in this line of work, AGELESS that is, things can go south quickly. But we do enjoy the time we have at least. It is important to not simply be hedonistic, but to work to leave a better world for the next generation. Perhaps even our children,” says George looking at Ruby with questioning eyes.

Ruby gulped. “Children? Babies? Are you on about that again? I thought we already discussed that back in Florida. Even though that seems like years ago at this point.” She shuddered and looked out the window of the carriage, lost in her own thoughts for long moments. George did not press her but he did notice a peculiar look come across her face before she inhaled and started speaking again. “I have this image, in my mind. I’m stuck in this small dark room with a screaming baby. My head feels like it will explode from the racket and worse than that, I have no idea how to make the screaming stop. I just look down at it and feel so helpless, this little… creature… looking up, wiggling and crying at me. Crying at ME! I don’t like that helpless feeling. I’ve told you how I felt growing up, why would I want another innocent baby to ever feel that way? And what would I ever even know about being a mother anyway? I can barely take care of myself.”

George calmly smiled at Ruby and noted she didn’t notice her hand was resting on her belly. He moved closer to her on the plush bench and put his arm around her reassuringly. “I have an image too, Ruby my love. It’s a large, beautiful bright room decorated in soft pastels with floor to ceiling windows that lets the brilliant light stream in. There is a large fireplace and a crackling fire is going, adding its soft, warm light to the room. You are sitting near the fire in a white rocking chair, a long red braid hanging over your shoulder while you are gently holding our newborn son in your arms. He is suckling at your breast while you look down at him with love. At your feet are two sweet young girls, maybe 5 and 2 years of age, both with long, deep red, wild flowing hair like their mother.” George gently reached out and caressed the end of Ruby’s hair between two fingers while talking. “They are building castles at your feet with blocks and using their dolls to fight off dragons and keep you and their new brother safe.” He paused to let it all set in.

“It is much different from your vision, do you know why?” Ruby just looked at George with wide green eyes and shook her head no. George smiled wider. “The difference my love is that I am there with you too. There are no crying babies and there are no situations we can’t figure out together. In that room sits my heart and I will cherish that more than anything in this world or any other world we may not know about yet. We can build that nursery in our new home, and there you will be safe and never be alone or feel unloved again. I will protect you, and them, with all of my being. I will love you more than anyone has ever loved anyone before. My love will be greater than the depths of the ocean or than the mountains are high.” He grasped her hand in his, “More than all the stars in all the skies of our universe.”

Ruby is about to speak but George puts a finger on her lips. “Okay, there might eventually be a crying baby but we’ll figure it out together. You and I can handle anything.” He chuckled, “Plus we will have a nannie or two to help. And while most women learn how to mother from their own mothers and upbringing, you can make your own choices. And……. I don’t know, somehow when women become mothers there is some, some instinct that kicks in. I know you don’t feel confident now, but when, and if, I suppose, that motherhood comes to you, I have every confidence that you will be a loving, nurturing mother. And I also know you would shoot any boy who dared break your little girl’s heart,” says George with a grin. Even though she was nervous, a small laugh escapes Ruby’s lips. “I thought that was a father’s job.”

She is quiet then again for another long moment. She reached forward and poured herself a double bourbon. She only sipped at it while considering what to say next. George sensed that there was something Ruby wanted to say to him but was wrestling demons about whether or not she should. “Oh, father’s threaten, mother’s shoot, and you are a damn good shot my love.”

George reaches over and takes the glass out of Ruby’s hand and sets it back on the bar. He pulls her down so her head is in his lap and gently starts to stroke her hair “Listen, I did not intentionally bring this up, it just sort of sprang up from your comment. We did agree to have a child in the future before all this craziness started. However this is nothing that needs to be decided today. Today is for rest, and enjoyment and life. Other decisions can wait until after this weekend, or forever if need be. So don’t dwell too much on this my dear. I do want you to see my vision, so at least you don’t fear something for the wrong reason. In many ways a child is the ultimate expression of love between two people. But for now, for today, for this moment: let it ease from your mind, relax, and feel the breeze in your hair, the warm sun on your cheek, and my soft words in your ear,” says George quietly, continuing to stroke her hair.

Ruby breathed deeply, in and out, letting her cares disappear for the moment. She closed her eyes expecting darkness. Instead she saw George’s vision in her mind and she didn’t immediately recoil from it. “You’ll make a wonderful father one day darling.” "Only if you are the mother Ruby. For children should grow where there is love, and I can only love you, so any of my children must be by you. But come now is not the time for this talk; I did not mean to introduce so heavy a topic. Lay it aside, save it for another day. Today, this day is for relaxation, celebration. So, sit up my love and enjoy your drink, or lay here and rest in my lap, but take the weight from your brow."

Ruby lay quietly on George’s lap for some time, pondering his words, taking them seriously rather than her usual complete rejection of the subject. Finally she sits up, resting on her hands, leaning towards George with a crooked grin on her face. “You know the best part about babies?” She gave him her dazzling smile, “Making them. Practice makes perfect, right?” "Indeed." replies George with his own grin. He reaches over to the sides and pulls the curtains on the windows. He pulls Ruby close to him in a shadowy carriage. Their lips meet in a slow sensual kiss. "Well then we had better get practicing right?" asks George. Ruby giggles in reply "My thought exactly," she whispered huskily. Soft, wet kisses lead to roaming hands. Clothing comes off in a slow steady stream as they enjoy each other’s bodies without haste or hurry.

At some point, time had lost meaning, as it often did when George and Ruby were together, they lay they, hot, sweaty, breathing hard, but satiated and satisfied, entwined in each other’s arms. George reaches up and gets a drink for himself and Ruby. Whiskey wet lips kiss Ruby again before George lays back down next to Ruby, her head on his shoulder. Ruby purred, "Well, that was certainly a pleasurable way to start our trip darling. I just might get used to baby talk." She snuggled closer into a George, lazily running a finger over his firm, sweaty chest. "I am so happy you had time to get away. We have much to talk about and... Not talk about," she laughed with a crooked smile.

George stretches as best he can on their improvised bed, the floor covered in blankets. He smiles back, "Indeed we do, baby talk, wedding talk, honeymoon talk. Hell just talk of when we finally get out of here, not that I dislike Egypt, but when we went through that portal, I thought it was for a little jaunt. So yes, lots to talk about, lots to be silent about, lots to speak with our bodies, and lots to just stare into each other's eyes," says George holding Ruby, and gently dragging his fingertips over her body. “Most importantly, we will have time to do these things over these days, a well-earned respite. A chance to relax, I want to go in the sea, and feel the waters of the Mediterranean on me. To sit in the sun and read, or not. To drink whenever and however I want. To see the sights. Speaking of sights...”

George throws back the sheet that had been covering Ruby. His eyes travel down the luscious curves of her body before returning to her enchanting green eyes. "There are sights I shall never tire of, and fortunately for me they are traveling with me," says George grinning as he leans in and kisses Ruby softly. "Perhaps even my scarlet seductress will honor me with a song or dance? For my personal viewing of course," he adds before leaning back in and kissing Ruby's rose-red lips once again, though this time for longer, deeply kissing her. George breaks the kiss after some time and strokes Ruby's hair. "Whatever shall I do my dear?" Ruby's smile drops and she seems puzzled. "Do? Do about what?" "About the fact that my auburn thief has stolen my heart and soul," grins George. "And she won't give them back, not that I want them now, they are far more precious in her hands." Ruby blushes and gives a little shy smile as she looks down. Only George knew how to embarrass her like this, though she loved it.

As she looked down in contemplation George's eyes traveled down her flawless body. He watches as her body's curves and swells jiggle and move in rhythm with the carriage. As Ruby looks up at George since he stopped talking she says, "What is wrong my darling?" George, not without some effort, wrenches his eyes back up to meet Ruby's. "Wrong? Nothing is wrong. Well other than the fact that you tempt men with your voice as a siren, and with your looks as Aphrodite herself. How any man can say no to you is beyond me," says George as he leans in for a hard, passionate kiss, a kiss full desire and longing.
As Ruby pulls away from George she laughs, "Well I do like that you know. But don't worry my love; I would never abuse that power I have over you. Now about that new ring I wanted…" she laughs. George laughs as well. Though the laugh turns to an embrace which leads to more kissing. The tantalizing movement of Ruby's body is an undeniable lure and soon enough Ruby and George are entwined with each other again.

This time though, George slows Ruby down with some erotic techniques from the Perfumed Garden and the Kama Sutra. This time their lovemaking is a long, slow, excruciatingly intimate experience. When they finished they fell back in each other's arms, panting, sweating, spent. The coach was warm from the day and their efforts, soft light filtered in through the curtains. They both drowsed, entering that twilight sleep granted by Eros to the most passionate of lovers. Some unknown amount of time goes by with the lovers sleeping curled up together, Ruby sleeping with her head on George's arm. The carriage hit a bump as it seemed to slow down, causing Ruby to crack open her eyes and slowly remember where they are. She pulled herself out of her lover’s tight embrace and peeked out the window.

What she saw gave her a little jolt; the carriage was pulling to a stop, they were seemingly at their destination or at least close to it. With a light laugh she poked at George, "Time to get up sleepyhead, I think we are here and it won't due to be naked when they open the door!" She started looking around the dark carriage trying to piece together her clothes so she could dress. George stretches, peeks out the window for a moment, "Just entering the city limits, I would say we still have 30 minutes or so, but, yes Miss West, let us get you looking presentable." says George getting Ruby's clothes in order to make it easier for her to get dressed.

As Ruby pulled on her underskirt and chemise she looked sideways at George. "So, ah, that was pretty fantastic my love. I mean, amazing. Aside from the fact that you teased me terribly, which is just wicked of you, there were, uh... things that even I don't know about. Have never seen. Or done. I’m supposed to be the Follower of Aphrodite," She laughed. She started on wiggling into her corset. "What is that all about?" "Well when you sleep your way around the world, you learn a thing or two," grins George who starts laughs as a pouty Ruby starts hitting him. "Ok, ok, he says trying to control the laughter. Really it comes from several books. There was a large movement in England especially against the restrictive morals of Victorian England. Many scholars and free thinkers turned to erotic literature as a counter cultural movement. Much of that came from the Kama Sutra. So yes I have read many of the ancient manuals on making love, including the Perfumed Garden. And well, applied some of them. Especially as I have the most inspiring lover in all the world," says George smiling.

“All the world, huh?” She started getting lost in her thoughts but dragged herself out of that train of thought, deciding not to linger on that thought too long. Then Ruby suddenly blushed again. “Really, from a book? Perhaps you can show me these books of yours and help me read them.” George tried not to laugh at that, “Ruby, I will help you read them and, ahem, research and practice every single page if you’d like and for as long as you’d like.” George bursts out in laughter. Ruby slaps him playfully but laughs with him. “That’s a learning I can get behind, darling.”

They finish dressing and tidying up the carriage and soon enough the carriage is at their seaside resort. They are greeted by an enthusiastic staff, who quickly go about unloading the coach. It’s obvious they have been informed that their new guests are friends of the Queen and are treated with the utmost respect and courtesy. The concierge greets them with a friendly smile. “Hello, hello my new friends. We are so pleased you have chosen to visit us here at the Savoy. My name is Ammon and I will be here to make your desires come true. Anything you need you ask me for.” George responds, holding some money out in his hand, “Thank you my good man. Mostly what we will be needing is some privacy.” “Oh yes, yes, I understand. You will have a suite on the top floor and no one is near you.” The man waved the money away, “No, no you have been taken care of. Please, no.”

Ruby excused herself and walked over to the water while George continued to chat with the man and their things were flying off the coach and into the hotel. There was a lot of activity in the water, a lot of boats coming and going, and a lot of people walking around in the small port city. At Port Said, Ruby She gazed off into the distance, out over the water, again lost in her thoughts. Before long George came up behind her and wrapped his arms around her and kissed her neck. “It’s very pretty here,” Ruby commented. “Yes, though not as pretty as you,” replied George sincerely. Ruby smiled at George’s comment then asked, “Everything taken care of?” “Yes my dear, it is. We can do whatever you’d like now.”

Ruby turned to face George, staying inside his arms, wrapping her own arms around his neck. “Well, I’d like to do some shopping. I definitely want to get some things for Ben, maybe my mother, and definitely for Katherine and Liam, even though he is not born yet who knows when one of us will get back to Egypt! And perhaps also Nanuet and maybe the Figures Family and possibly even send something back for the Lady. Though I am not sure what any of them would want or need.” She shrugged, “I’m willing to look. I also want to have a yummy dinner tonight and maybe tomorrow we can go to the beach. Or see whatever other sights are around.” She paused, scrunching her nose as her thoughts caught up. “Of course, in the end as long as we are together I don’t care what we do.”

George just shook his head and laughed. “It’s a good thing the ship is here or we’d be spending thousands of dollars on shipping fees.” He kissed her before she could protest. “Not to worry darling, anything you want you will have. For you or for your friends.” She had started to pout before he kissed her but he had stopped her lips from protesting. “Alright, we won’t spend our entire time here shopping,” she laughed in return. She plopped herself down on the ground to get comfortable. “Just a good portion of it.” She looked up at George’s face as he stood over her. “OKAY, just a small portion of it,” she laughed again. She looked out into the harbor. “It is quite beautiful here. Busy but beautiful.” She gazed out over the water for some time before speaking again. “Actually, let’s go in and see the room now. And then we need to get a snack. I am STARVING!”

George eyed Ruby suspiciously, “Didn’t you just have a snack in the carriage? You’ll ruin your dinner.” Ruby laughed. “As if I could ruin my dinner. Have you ever known me to ruin my dinner George? I can almost always eat! You know that.” She poked him in the belly. “Perhaps I just loovveee Egyptian food. Of course, you’d better hope that isn’t so true that you have to fly in an Egyptian Chef for me.” She burst out laughing again. “I do especially love Dorita’s muffins, oh I miss them so much! All her cooking is just so good. Just talking about it is making me MORE hungry.”

“Heaven forbid you learn how to make shwarma,” said George rolling his eyes. That quickly turned in to laughter as Ruby again poked him in the belly with a finger while pretending to be angry. “OK, ok. Let us go and eat,” he says extending his hand to help her up. She gave an odd “ooff” as she got up. George again gave her a hard look but chalked it up to sitting at an odd angle on the ground. Together they walked down the main road in town, stopping at the local eateries with George asking the questions about the food. Finally he was satisfied and they entered to eat. George looked over the menu and spoke to the waiter for a bit as poor Ruby sat there eyeing everyone else’s food hungrily. But food quickly came out. George smiled, “This is a pretty nice find, they have some excellent dishes I think you will enjoy.”

Out first was a small plate with small brown squares with nuts in them. “Halawa,” explained George as Ruby tried it and her face lit up. “Sesame paste with pistachios,” continued George. “We have got to bring some of these home!” said Ruby shoving a second one in her mouth. Next out the waiter brought some hot, fresh naan and an herby dip called dukkah as George explained. George then asked for a bottle of wine to accompany their dinner. “This is amazing,” says Ruby as she tried the dukkah. Then the main dishes came out, shrimp mulukhiya and a pleasantly spicy kushari. George ate and drank with a smile as he watched Ruby try all these new and exotic foods with glee. She of course loved them all and ate some, or a lot, of everything. As they were ending the meal George excused himself and went into the kitchen.

He returned a short while later with a big grin. “What canary did you eat mister cat?” asked Ruby playfully noting George’s smug grin. George helped Ruby up and as they left George answered. “Well since you liked the halawa so much I ordered some for you. There will be two pounds back in the hotel room tonight, and I arranged to have a large batch sent back to Cairo for you.” Ruby squeed and squeezed George’s hand and laid her head on his shoulder as they walked. “You think of everything George,” she said. “Thank you.” “You are of course welcome my dear. And you can bring your halawa out to the beach tomorrow. It doesn’t go bad in the sun. Gets a little soft, but it will be fine.” Ruby added, ”How did you get so smart George?” George took it rhetorically and did not answer as they walked along.

Ruby was off in her own thoughts as she walked and let George lead the way. So when her foot made a hollow “thunk” instead of a firm crunch on dirt, she looked around. They were standing on wood, a pier to be exact. One that extended out in the blue Mediterranean. “I though a nice sail in the Mediterranean during sunset would be a nice way to top off that meal Miss West. Care to?” Ruby squeezed George’s hand again. “Of course I would Mr. Eastman. Nothing sounds more perfect than a sunset sail with you right now.” They walked far out onto the pier over the crystal blue water. Ruby watched as George arranged the trip and she waited to board the boat until instructed. They took seats up front, where the warm air caressed them as the boat sailed gently into the sea. George and Ruby complete their cruise as the stars came out over the Mediterranean. They returned to port and strolled hand in hand back to the hotel.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapters 143, September 15, 1882, "Egyptian Vacation" Part 2: It all seems like a dream. I hope I never wake up."

When Ruby awoke the next morning, the sun was already high in the sky. George was gone, but Ruby wasn't too concerned and indeed he returned as she was finishing up her morning routine. He came up behind her and kissed her neck. "Ok, it is all arranged. Dress for a seaside picnic. We are taking a camel tour down to the eastern beaches and have a picnic there." says George smiling at her in her vanity mirror.

"Excellent darling! I am going to wear one of my new Egyptian robes. I think there is a saying... When in Egypt... Right?" She laughs lightly. "I mean, what does one wear to the beach, to picnic AND to camel ride? I've noticed a lot of tourists here and they seem to be wearing the same ol boring skirts and shirts they wear back home. So I am going to act like a native! Of course, this, " she pulls on her hair while spinning around to face George, "Will most certainly give me away." She drops her robe to the floor and begins trying to wrap the brightly colored dress around herself. "Besides, I'm tired of wearing corsets, they have been so uncomfortable lately. I mean, really, who goes tomb raiding, traipsing through the desert, escaping palaces and stopping wars in corsets? It's just not right."

She tries multiple times to get the wrap right on the dress. Finally she gives up in frustration with a loud "Ugh!" as she throws it back on the bed. "I think I'll try a different dress," she says to herself, rifling through her clothes, as she calms herself down. She finally settles on a black dress, which would be quite daring back home but seemed to be in place here. It came with beautiful matching gold jeweled accessories, for her wrists and her hair. Finally satisfied she turns to George. "Ready when you are!

George had been smiling as he watched ruby try on clothes, both to watch Ruby's attempt to wear a dress she loved the look of but had never seen actually worn, as well to to admire the inadvertent, yet compelling burlesque-like show that Ruby puts on merely by her native beauty and sensuality. "Radiant as always my dear." said George taking her by the hand and stepping back to admire her. " You had best be careful my love, Aphrodite herself will become jealous. Well, more jealous." says George with a grin, leaning in for a kiss.

George and Ruby head down stairs and take a carriage out to the edge of town, there they dismounted outside a stable. A familiar man was waiting for them. he came up to George with a big grin "Ah sahib" he says bowing as George shook his hand. They had a quick conversation in Egyptian. Then Ruby recognized him, he was the owner of the restaurant they had visited the other day, George had obviously arranged to have their meal catered by the same place. After the brief conversation the man waves at Ruby as he walks away. The package that the man had brought was taken by some other men inside the stables.

In a moment three camels were brought out, fully decked in traditional saddles and tack. Tassels, bells and all. Ruby squealed with delight as they knelt and George helped Ruby up onto her mount. As she did she turned "Darling, why three camels?" Ruby asked. "Well, camels can be a bit temperamental, so a handler along is a good idea in case they balk, and this way we have someone to watch them as we picnic." replies George as he too swings into his saddle.

Ruby grabbed the seat tight and squealed again as the camel rose to it's full height. As they rode slowly out to the beach she couldn't get the huge toothy grin off her face. She yelled over to George, "I can't believe we're doing this!!" "Why is that darling?" George answered, his own smile growing. "I don't know, I guess I always dreamed of doing this my whole life and now I am actually doing it. The whole coming to Egypt thing, being with my grandmother, searching through pyramids in exotic lands... All of it." She looked out over the trail for a moment then back to George. "Being with you. Being here with you. It all seems like a dream. I hope I never wake up."

"Well, what use is living if not living life as an adventure? And while hiding out in Promise City served it's purpose for you, there is a whole wide world out there to explore. I am just grateful that I have found someone to share these adventures with," says George smiling back at Ruby."Yes it is definitely better sharing this with you my love." Ruby was quiet for long moments as the camels walked on as she pondered what George said.

Finally, "I do really miss Promise City and my saloon and the friends I made there. I feel like I have left a big part of me there. And yet as I said to the Queen yesterday, now that we've done this," she waved an arm wide gesturing to the land, "I don't think I can ever go back to living there. I guess I have been fooling myself that I would. I mean, when I left I thought I was going back, I intended on returning back to my home and..." Her voice trailed off and she sighed. "Back to the things I loved and worked so hard to get. I was so very happy there, for a time. I had been so unhappy before that, wandering from place to place. Then finally I had a home of my own, my saloon was home and I had such good friends...Not that I don't love being with you, I do, I just, I just thought I was going back and now I am finally realizing that I never AM going back. I mean, I am never going to live there and work there again, not like I had been. And while your house in Rochester is nice, well, it's yours. So I feel like I don't have a home again."

She was quiet again for a long while before speaking again. "But having adventures with you is amazing and one day I'll make a new home, with you. Someplace we both love. Together, right?" She looked at him nervously with the question in her eyes. George smiled back "Of course Miss West. But remember that while you may have left some part of you in promise City, no part of you gets used up. No matter how much you leave behind, you have you entire person with you always. You took many memories away from there. And yes you left parts of you. But it is kind of like footprints. You always leave them wherever you go. And yes, you do leave many more in places you stay for a long time. But no matter where you are you will always leave more foot prints. And so my love worry less about where your footprints have been than where they are." says George as he rides closer and leans over to kiss Ruby.

"Of course, right now we are only leaving camel prints" he laughs. "You are right darling, I should not only not worry about the past I shouldn't worry about anything at all," she laughed. "That was one of my better traits before I started growing up." She laughed even heartier at that, and kept laughing for long moments. "This is way too much fun to miss any of it. Though I could probably do with less bouncing," she giggled while glancing down at her chest. "Oh I don't mind the bouncing" says George with a wink."But you experienced the Wild West. Now you have camels and pyramids. Who knows what wonders await you next year"

"George, you are such a scoundrel underneath it all, aren't you? But in the absolute best way!" she grinned. "The bouncing is also not doing good things to my belly but that is probably because I ate so much at breakfast," she laughed. "As to your other question..." she tapped her lips, "I am not sure. There are still SO many things I want to see. There are so many things I don't even yet KNOW I want to see... I wonder what it will be... our next adventure... I wonder..." She sat back in her seat and took in the landscape as they rode on. Her hair gently moved around as the warm soft breeze caressed her face and she sighed happily.

Finally they reached a private area, where the land protruded out into the sea, forming a C like shape, protecting the crystal clear brilliant blue water within it safely. Ruby gasped as she had never seen such beautiful water in her life and she fidgeted while waiting for their groom to come over and help her off the beast. Once she was down she almost started running to the water, but she stopped and ran back, petted the camel for a quick moment then ran off to the water leaving George to deal with the details.

She stopped at the water line taking in the majestic site for a long moment. She looked back over her shoulder to see if George brought his camera but instead of waiting to figure out the answer, she pulled off her boots and threw them to the side. Next her stockings came off quickly, and they floated in the air as she just carelessly let them go, then she hiked up the skirts on her new dress and just walked right into the sea. She yelled over her shoulder, "Oh George, hurry, it's so amazing!!" George laughs "In a moment" George helps the groom, Aziz, unload the camels and issues instructions. Aziz bows in acknowledgement as George heads down to the shoreline. He had brought his camera and sets it up while Ruby splashes in the water. "Ok my dear, how about another picture of you in the water? I haven't had a chance to take many pictures this trip. And this will be my first of the Mediterranean. So hold still and smile"

Ruby holds up her skirts and poses for the camera. George takes a few plates of Ruby band the beach and sea before packing the camera away. George then takes off his own shoes and rolls up his pants and splashes out to join Ruby. He takes her hand and they just stared out into the blue waters for a while. George looked over his shoulder for a moment, the turned back to Ruby. "Ok, it's ready." What is?" Ruby asked. George turned her around. there on the beach was a large, open tent with carpets laid out underneath. A small table held food, water and wine. A small separate tent stood nearby. "Ruby clapped her hands, squeeled and jumped up and down. "Oh George it looks so amazing, just what I had imagined." George smiled and lead her back up the beach to the tent. There were grapes, dates and naan laid out. More food had yet to be unpacked. Under the tent, with the slight breeze, it felt almost cool compared to the warm sun, but nice.

George and Ruby had some fruit and wine as they watched the gentle waves lapping against the shore. The soft roar of the waves was relaxing. After some time of relaxing and talking and laughing, George stood up. "Ready for your surprise?" "Surprise?" said Ruby "More than this?" she said gesturing around. George smiled and held out his hand and helped Ruby up. He lead her over to the smaller, enclosed tent. He opened the flaps and inside hangs a woman's bathing costume. Ruby's mouth dropped. "I had to pull some strings, but got one made up overnight. I figured it would not be a trip to the beach without heading out in to bathe in the calming waters of the Mediterranean."

Ruby stood and stared at the suit. "It looks nice..." she said hesitantly. George looked at her questioningly so she answered him by laughing and pointing at it. "That's more material then I wear with my dresses!" She laughed some more. "Well, I suppose it wouldn't do to shock our friend over there," she waved at the groom, "With my nakedness." She shook her head as she walked into the small tent, the lighter highlights in her hair reflecting the sun's rays making it look like her hair had golden strands running through it. She grabbed both edges of the fabric opening and closed it together. She stuck her head out, "You'd better not laugh at me," she said sternly before disappearing inside.

There was a lot of movement and grunting and even some cursing in the tent before Ruby reappeared with a scowl on her face. "I appreciate the effort darling but I feel ridiculous." She stepped out of the tent covered neck to ankles in the swimming outfit. "This is ridiculous. I'm doing to drown when all this," she pulled at the excess fabric, "Gets wet and weighs a million tons." She stood there before George pouting.

George smiles 'here" he says and he kneels in front of her. He takes out a small pocket knife and cuts the fabric just above the knee on each leg, and cuts the arms above the elbow. "There that will be a little better at least. And wait until you see mine" he says with a smile taking his turn in the tent. In a few moments he comes out in a bathing outfit, red and white stripes, tank top and trunks to his knees. "See, not much different than yours. And even if your suit does weigh a 100 pounds when it is wet, you have more than ample buoyancy" laughs George. "Come on let's go swim."

Ruby shrugged her shoulders as George emerged. "We can both look like idiots together then. Plus," she pinched his cheek, "I think, Mr. Eastman, you are obsessed with my breasts!! Of course I don't blame you, they are rather perfect," she stated matter of factly. Then she laughed and, standing on higher ground, jumped onto George's back, wrapping her arms around his neck and her legs around his waist. "Let's go!" George grabbed her legs to hold her on then ran into the water joining in her infectious laughter. He splashed out deeper into the water where he lost his footing and fell over, dropping both of them into the warm water. George came up laughing as he waited for Ruby to come up as she too laughed. George splashed Ruby and struck out with strong strokes and quickly heads out to deeper water. He pulls up and treads water as he looks back at Ruby smiling.

Ruby swam out to meet George, not being able to wipe the grin off her face. "I don't know when the last time I swam in an ocean was. Probably when I was a child, or at least, a lot younger than I am now. The summer before I left home probably. So... At least five years ago. Of course, my parents home was on Long Island Sound so while it was the ocean, there weren't very many waves. And it wasn't nearly as warm or pretty as this," she laughed. Ruby's brows came together for a moment. "I've been landlocked ever since I left. I think I don't like it very much. Being near the sea is calming. Does that make sense?" She looked to George curiously to see if he would agree.

George floated on his back and stared up at the azure sky. "I do understand. That is part of the wonder of Lake Ontario. It does serve as a mighty artery of commerce and access to most of the midwest. But it is also large enough that you can sail far from shore and not see land. Fewer, smaller waves, but still the serenity and calmness that large bodies of water bring. Actually I think it is water in truth, in essence. Water is so vital to life, it is the one necessity for every living thing. There is some organic connection to it, something deeper than Poseidon. Something that calls to us, touches us, brings us to water. Renewal, calmness, peace. Whether is is out on the boundless Pacific or sitting quietly near a small gurgling spring on a mountain top, or any journey water makes in between, there is something to water, to hear it, taste it, feel it, to be immersed in it, that is essential to our selves and our souls." George suddenly started up from his back, looked at Ruby a little sheepishly and turned red. "Sorry, I got a little lost in that." and self-consciously dived down deep into the water.

Ruby laughed and shook her head as George dove under. She knew from the last time they went swimming together that he could stay under a very long period of time, so she didn't get nervous when he did not come up right away. She floated on her back for a while, gazing at the bright blue cloudless sky. She was much more used to staring into the dark night, at the stars she loved so much. George was right, this beautiful warm water was calming and renewing. They both needed it after the past week they had. Twenty quiet minutes go by with George coming up to take a breath then diving back down again into the water before he finally tires and rejoins Ruby.

When George joined her, she was floating in the water, her long red hair swimming all around her head. "So, maybe we should make sure we have a house on the sea somewhere. What do you think darling?" She said, as she splashed a little bit of water at him, straightening herself out.George looks up at Ruby from beneath the water. With her hair flowing out in a crimson halo around her, she could have been a mermaid. He too floats next to her. As she asks her question George laughs. "Of course my love. A house on every sea if need be. We shall be traveling quite a bit so why not visit every sea we can yes?"

Ruby was quiet as she pondered. "Yes, I suppose seeing and swimming in every ocean would be wonderful... though aren't some of them very cold?" Ruby furrowed her brows trying to figure that out. She shrugged. "I don't think I should be greedy and ask for a house on every sea. But certainly you have promised me adventures all over the world so perhaps we should have a house here and there." She laughed heartily. "Well, we have friends here now so maybe here. But then all we have to do to get here is walk through the gate... So maybe not..."

"Exactly. Through I have some plans for some airships. Ones that perhaps can go quite quickly. But that is in the future. And yes some of the seas are cold, but we don't have to stay in those long" laughs George. "Airships? What in Hades are you on about now? My love, don't spread yourself too thin with all this talk of... All this stuff! Your dream has been this photography stuff for so long and now you are talking about weapons and airships... While I have a lot of faith you can do anything you set your mind to... After all, you did the impossible and never gave up and won my heart..." she giggled, "I just don't want you to not be able to accomplish your dream because you made too many... Other dreams. Do you know what I am saying?"

"Well, I started and have grown Eastman Industries into the largest photographic company in the world. I did pursue you and won your heart. I obviously need a new challenge. One that is actually hard to achieve." George tried to keep a straight face but laughed as Ruby pouted and splashed his. The laughing didn't help when she pushed his head under water. He came up choking but still giggling. "Yes my love, no dream was as important or worth pursuing as you. But I do know what you're saying. But there are so many things to improve, to build, to do. For these other industries though, I would start them, and let trusted lieutenants run them under my supervision.

The pictures I was able to take from the French airship? Amazing. It will allow us to survey so much more accurately. Really the munitions factory is only for Egypt. I don't intend to create chains of them. I merely want to make sure that Egypt stays free. A strong, modern military is the best way to ensure that against colonial desires of European powers. But airships. Wow. That is a natural pairing with photography. I will drop some money into R&D now to get the ball rolling but it will take some time to get the thing going. But look my dear. You come first. Then Eastman Industries, then AGELESS. THEN a new airship company. Ok?"

Ruby shook her head and frowned as George spoke. "I don't know what most of that means... R&D.. Colonial desires..." She thinks on it for a moment before the corner of her lips turn up. "However, I do agree that I should be the most important thing in your life. By far. Like, not even a question. You're suppose to spend your life telling me how wonderful and amazing I am and that nothing else in your like makes you as happy as I do." She cracked up laughing as she swam towards George, and when she got close she wrapped her arms around his neck. She spoke into his ear, "Okay, maybe not that much... But close."

George whispers back "Haven't I always? Won't I always?" before turning his head and slowly and gently kissing Ruby quite thoroughly. Ruby returned his kiss. "Yes, you have always told me how much I mean to you and I know you always will." She kissed him again. "So what else do we have planned for today? I will be sad to leave here and have to share you again." "Today is just a beach day. I have nothing else planned. I do need to go to the canal tomorrow, but that should only be half a day if you want to sleep in or shop." replies George

They continued to talk as George swam and Ruby lazily hung into his neck, letting him drag her around. "Hmmm... Well, we are on vacation so we should do both! I will come with you to the canal if you want. Plus I told you I need to buy some presents. But right now we can just enjoy this." Ruby closed her eyes and enjoyed the warm sea and the intense sun on her, breathing in the fresh, salty air.

Some time passed, Ruby wasn't sure how much, before she finally opened her eyes. "We should go eat. I know you are not surprised to find I am hungry and you have brought along quite the feast up there," Ruby said while eyeing it. She grabbed George's hand and dragged him out of the water. They dry off then head inside the grand tent to enjoy their lunch. The rest of their time at the beach seemed to fly by quickly. After they ate their delicious lunch, they laid out and enjoyed the sun's rays before enjoying another dip to cool off. George spent some more time taking various photos of the landscape while Ruby continued her swim. They walked along the beach for a while, holding hands while Ruby looked for seashells. Finally it grew later in the day and George suggested they take their leave of the sea.

The groom packed up the food and main tent while George and Ruby changed back into regular clothes. As the sun slowly sank into the Mediterranean, it cast the few clouds above into a pink light. Dusk was approaching as the three camels moseyed into town. George and Ruby dismounted, and George not only tipped the groom but insisted he take all the leftover food back to his family, which got him such a deep salaam that George even felt a bit embarrassed. George and Ruby walked arm in arm as the stars twinkled into the sky. A long walk back to the hotel in the cool desert breeze was a perfect way to end the day.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapters 144, September 15, 1882, "Egyptian Vacation, Part 3: One Very Special Star"

Ruby and George returned to their hotel room, their large corner suite that overlooked the sea. George excused himself to go downstairs to speak with the front desk about the next day while Ruby changed into her nightgown and set out a glass of bourbon for herself and a scotch for George. She took her time combing out her long hair, the salty sea water having made it more wavy than usual. It was a calming ritual that soothed her. When George finally returned he found all the windows and doors wide open, the cool breeze circling through their room. Ruby was out on the balcony, her hair and pink gown swirling around her. The bright moon outside lit her from behind and George could clearly see her naked form under the sheer material of her nightgown. She was, as usual, staring up at the brilliant stars filling the dark cloudless sky.

George came up behind Ruby, wrapping his left arm around her and resting his hand flat on her belly. Ruby laid her head back on George's shoulder. "It's so beautiful here, don't you think? The stars are so bright and full of sparkle. " "Indeed they are." Replies George staring up at the sky as well. He bent down and kissed her shoulder. "None shine as brightly as my star here on Earth." Ruby turned to face George, "Why, Mr. Eastman, I think that may be the most wonderful thing anyone has said to me," she said reaching up to kiss him. "Well that sounds like a challenge to me." Says George grinning. "See if I can top my own wit in describing the beauty of Ruby West in ever-more eloquent superlatives."

"I don't know what su-pearl-atives means but I think you mean compliments." Ruby laughed lightly. "I will never, ever complain about your compliments my love. It makes me so very happy to know my appearance pleases you." She kissed him lightly again then with a mischievous smile stepped away towards the balcony railing, sliding her arms along the railing striking a pose. "Does my gown please you too?"

George stood and admired the curvaceous form silhouetted before him. "You know indeed it does." He says watching Ruby further. George looks up. "Seems a shame to waste all these beautiful stars." He said cryptically. With a grin he turns and slips into the room. He returns a moment later with an armload of blankets. He spreads them out on the balcony in several layers before adding a few pillows. Ruby looks on with a mischievous grin. Finally George seems satisfied with the outdoor bed before turning to Ruby. He extends his hand, and pulls her into his arms, beginning a long night of passion out under the stars.

The next morning, Ruby drifted in and out of sleep as the sun rose higher in the sky. She had been so comfortable in the cool air lying with George she didn’t want to move. But now he was missing and she started to get cold. She stretched her arms over her head as she looked out over the sea, sad that their time here was ending. Finally she got up and wrapped her robe around herself. George was reading a paper at the table. “Good morning darling,” she said as she wrapped her arms around George’s neck then kissed him from behind. “I hope you slept well.” “Indeed I did,” replied George before leaving a kiss on Ruby’s arm. “You?”

“Of course, I always sleep well when you are with me.” Ruby slid into the chair next to George and yawned. “Are you ready for your business?” George folded his newspapers and put them aside. “Yes, mostly. I have to get dressed and you have to get dressed. And of course, breakfast.” Almost on cue there was a knock on the door. George rose to get it while Ruby yawned again. Very enthusiastic wait staff flowed into the room with trays and trays of food. George laughs, “Since you are always hungry I thought I would order an array of items so you could have your very own miniature buffet.”

“How wonderful!” Ruby grinned and waited excitedly for the food to be down on the table. The waiters started uncovering all kinds of food, from traditional American breakfast foods to more unusual Egyptian delicacies. Steam waifed off the hot dishes, with the exotic scents curling into the air. Ruby took in a long sniff of the food and the smile slowly faded off her face.

George looked to her, concerned. “What’s the matter? Does this not please you?” he said as he waved his hand over the food. “No, it looks good,” she said, her face looking rather greenish, “It’s just… just…” With that she jumped up from the table and ran to the bathroom, stunning the poor staff that was still in the room. “Uh, that will be all,” George said to the staff dismissing them. George got up and went to the bathroom. He knocked on the door. “Are you alright my love?” There was no answer so George gently pushed the door open.

He was greeted by the sight of Ruby on knees, throwing up into the trash can. He rushed over and held her hair back with one hand while grabbing for a towel with the other. After a few minutes of that she kneeled back on feet, wiping her mouth. “Ewwwww,” she said scrunching her nose. “I must have eaten too much exotic food yesterday, my belly doesn’t feel well.”

“Yes, perhaps too much sun or exertion from swimming. Though I would have expected any of those things to have caused other intestinal issues rather than nausea. Still, better to have you rest today then. I will have them send up some weak tea and some toast for you. After you get everything up and get back in bed that is,” says George. Ruby scrunched her nose. “Ewww, I don’t want to talk about that medical stuff!” She put her hand over her belly, “Thinking of that makes it worse. I’ll be okay.” She took a long pause to see if that was actually true. She took in a deep breath, “But I want to go shopping today. I don’t want to get sick and die here in Egypt!”

"My love, you will not get sick and die here in Egypt. Do you think the Queen would allow that? Of course not. So let's get you dressed, and after you feel better I will drop you off in the shops. Maybe I can arrange for an escort in case you get sick again. I will make short work of the trip to the canal and meet you back here in the afternoon. Ok?" says George kissing Ruby gently. "Ok," Ruby answered weakly. George left to go arrange for a woman to accompany Ruby into town. When he returned Ruby had thrown up a second time, but was feeling considerably better. She ate some toast and tea and by the time she was dressed felt mostly like her old self again. George dropped off Ruby with Emadi, a local woman to help Ruby shop while he left to inspect the canal.

George took the train out to the canal, then used a horse to head up and down. He took inventory of buildings and facilities, making a list in his trusty magical journal of what would be needed for the new canal force. Ruby meanwhile felt much better and had a very successful and relaxing time shopping. Emadi spoke some English and was able to help Ruby find the best shops for shoes, clothes and more. She found a small set of carved wooden toy camels that were enchanted to move on their own, as well as an enchanted wooden sphinx that would fly in circles when you wound up the magical spring. Those she bought for her brother Benjamin back in New York.

She found some beautiful linen shawls dyed in traditional Egyptian colors to bring back for all her lady friends and family. She picked up some woven tapestries for her and George’s new home and while she hesitated at first, eventually she did pick some out for her teacher and the El Parador and the Lucky Lady.
While Ruby was getting measured for more exotic and colorful Egyptian clothing she noticed there was a lot of rapid speech amongst the locals and her guide. Ruby raised an eyebrow at them and they stopped, and Ruby didn’t bother to ask what gossip could have possibly gotten everyone in such a tizzy.

Ruby was much improved while finishing her shopping and even stopped to get some chicken shwarma before she met back up with George. Back at the hotel laden with purchases, she checked for George in their room to find he was not there. She dropped off the purchases and headed back downstairs to the boardwalk. She found a seat in the sun facing the water and breathed in the fresh air, sad to be leaving soon.

Just after the sun had sunk into the Mediterranean, yet still painted the sky pink, George returned. “Hello my darling, have a good day?” he asked. “I went shopping so that was fun, though without you it isn’t quite as nice. Though I will model it for you later” she added with a mischievous grin. George returned the grin and sat down beside her. “I look forward to it. Did you eat?” Ruby nodded “I knew you wouldn’t miss a meal” George signaled over to a member of the hotel staff and placed an order for some food to be brought out. George and Ruby sat and watched the last lights fade in the west as the stars came out. They ate, Ruby lightly, as they enjoyed the evening breeze.

George finishes the last of his naan and washes it down with some scotch. “Ok, are you ready for a surprise?” George asks innocently. Ruby sits up “A surprise? I love surprises, what is it?” George laughed “Now Ruby, if I told you it wouldn’t be a surprise would it?” George stood up and took Ruby by the hand and led her back upstairs to their room. He paused outside the door and removed a silk scarf from his pocket. “Now close your eyes” he said. Ruby pouted but George said “close them!” Ruby, still pouting closed her eyes and George wrapped the folded up scarf over her eyes.

George opened the door and lead Ruby inside. Ruby stood there for a few minutes as she heard George puttering around, moving things and opening doors. George was back in a moment and took her by the hand again and led her forward. “Ok, now leave the blindfold on, but sit down crossed legged.” He instructs her. Ruby sits down, and feels around with her hands and feels fabric of some kind. Suddenly, she feels a lurch and the wind on her face. “Ok, take off your blindfold” says George. Ruby removes the blindfold to see herself well over 50 feet in the air, as the hotel and their open window retreat behind them. Looking down, she was on a magic carpet!

Ruby squealed with delight before poking George, her excitement overtaking her sometimes fear of heights. “Ok, where did you steal this from?” she asked with a grin. “Oh from some prince,” laughed George back. “I borrowed it to get back to Zakazik more quickly. Since this was state business, I rated the ride.”

“Well, I hope I get to enjoy this ride. The last time I was on one of these we had to race back to Cairo at break-neck speed.” George smiled at her, “Well, I do need to be back in Zakazik for tomorrow, but, we don’t have to be there tonight.” George directed the carpet higher, and faster, heading west. Soon they caught the sunset, enjoying the golden light for almost an hour as they chased it over the Mediterranean. Finally George turned the carpet back east and slowed it down, though kept the altitude. They slowly meandered back towards the Nile. They could see a few lights flickering throughout the small villages beneath them, though they were dim compared to the radiant canopy of stars above them. George and Ruby lay back on the carpet for some time, as George pointed out planets, stars and constellations to Ruby as she lay comfortable in his arms.

“There is one very special star I wanted to point out to you tonight,” says George after some time. “It is a rare and special star, and one I have loved since first its light touched me. That star is you Constance, my Ruby, my star, my Polaris. Your beauty outshines any star in the heavens, and yet you dwell here on earth with us mere mortals. So to secure your position on earth, will you Miss Constance Grace West marry me?” asks George rolling onto his side and presenting Ruby with a platinum ring containing a beautiful emerald cut ruby and diamond ring. The ruby is surrounded by diamonds that sparkle and gleam in the moonlight, and the band is also covered in diamonds.

Ruby gasped, sat up and blinked at the ring, then looked up and blinked at George, then looked down at the ring and blinked again. It looked to George like Ruby was trying to say something but no words were coming out. Long moments go by with her just staring. Finally she looked up at George with large green eyes, those eyes looking watery. “I-I don’t understand?” She looked to her ring finger, a large diamond already glittering there. George smiles “Well, the last time I proposed was rather unplanned and less than as romantic as I would have wanted. And there are no rules saying I can’t propose multiple times. Hell I already have! There are also some not so happy memories with that ring.

But you have said yes once. I hope you do again. But yes, I found this beautiful Egyptian ruby while I was out the other day and knew it suited you, that it was meant for you as you were meant for me. So why not make our proposal as memorable as our life has been together? What do you say my star? Will you bless me with your light and love for the rest of our lives?” Ruby’s breath caught in her throat and a couple of tears of joy started running down her pink cheeks. She nodded her head a few times before sputtering out, “Yes, yes of course!” She embraced George then, pushing her face into his shoulder where she grabbed him while he held her tightly and he whispered loving words into her ear.

Finally she calmed down and could face him. George’s handsome face was beaming, his eyes lit up with the glow of love. Ruby kissed him and knew she didn’t have to say much, George knew her so well, he already knew what she would say. He wiped away her tears, “No more crying my love, even happy tears should be banished. Come, let me try this on you.” He gently tugged the diamond ring off her finger and slid it into his pocket. He took that ruby ring, the most perfect, sparkly ruby ring Ruby had ever seen, and delicately positioned it on her slender finger. She admired it sitting there, like it was always meant to.

Long, quiet moments passed between them before Ruby spoke again. She set her green eyes on George and smiled softly at him. “George, I am not sure I have ever told you just how much I love you. And adore you. And, how I am so very thankful to have you in my life.” She took a deep breath in and took both his hands on hers. “I know I haven’t told you everything about what happened when I left home and you have said you do not care. But it had shaped me to who I was and some of the things I had been through, well…” She sighed.

“I had run off from Rochester, mostly from my family but also from you. I was so young and, well, scared. I didn’t want to get married. I didn’t want someone to control me, control me like both of my parents had tried my whole life. I never really considered what it would be like to marry you, what kind of a husband you would be or what life would be like with you. I just pushed back against my parents telling me what to do once again. And I felt like they were just using me, selling me off to you to make themselves look better. After all you were young, handsome, intelligent, you had a lot of potential and were getting richer by the minute. Of course, it was probably mostly that last one that made my parents happy,” she chuckled.

“So I went out into the world, I trusted people I should not have and I got hurt. After that I shut myself off from everyone, I shut all feelings out of my life, to save myself from the pain of being hurt again.” She paused and considered her words before going forward. “Promise City changed that. I made a lot of friends, people who became my family, and I opened myself up to friendship.” She paused again, “And love. Lots of different kinds of love. My heart opened up again and it felt really good.”

She carefully continued. “When you showed up in Promise City I was so protective of the love I thought was certain I didn’t really even consider you. Then everything that happened… I felt so terrible and guilty. And I wasn’t really sure why I did, but I did. None of that was your fault, only mine for being stubborn and blind.” A sad smile comes to Ruby’s face. “But then my heart was broken by that certain love. There was a time I thought I would die if I didn’t have it. But it really wasn’t so bad,” she shakes her head, her long red hair blowing around her face from the wind and her smile turned happy, “It wasn’t bad because then the thoughts of you really started to fill my head. And, my heart. And I knew I needed to come and see you, away from there, to see what kind of man you had become.

I have such wonderful memories of us being young together. Stealing sweets out of my parent’s kitchen to take on our long walks through the woods.” She giggled lightly, “You being mortified when I took off my fancy dress and climbed a tree in my undergarments. Us swimming in my parent’s lake together.” Her smile grew larger and she squeezed his hands, “I mean, MY lake.

The night we got engaged in New York, I told you that I thought I loved you all along. And really when I think about everything we’ve been through, there truly isn’t a time I can remember that I did not love you. Sure, in Promise City I denied it and tried to not think about it, but it was there. Even then I admitted to myself that I loved you at least as a friend. I think Jake sensed it too, he really hated you and was jealous and I don’t think he trusted me when I spoke about you.” She shrugged. “All that doesn’t matter, what matters is that I really HAVE always loved you. And all the things I wanted, all the things I have always said were important and have wanted have come true in you. And will continue to come true in what our life will be together. Travel, music, dance, adventure, romance. I want someone to take care of me, someone to have fun with, someone to respect me but most of all, someone I can trust. Trust that when you say you love me too, you truly mean it.

And George Eastman, you are the only person in my whole life who I believe without a doubt when you say you love me,” She furrowed her brow and paused then grinned, “Well, actually I can say that about Nana too and perhaps Kate and Mr. Gonzales.” She laughed, “What? It’s been a busy year.” She laughed again and squeezed his hands tighter. “You are handsome, so handsome, wise, intelligent, silly, romantic, sexy, loyal, protective and I know you would fight for me to your dying breath. I know it in my heart,” she placed his hand snugly over her breast, “There is a peace in my heart now I have never had before, I just know in my heart you will love me forever to the depths of your soul. You will never break my heart, you will never leave me.

So how could I not fall in love and be in love with you forever? How could I not adore you?” She leaned in and kissed him softly. “So I would marry you today, tomorrow and every day for the rest of our lives. How could I not?” The corners of her full lips turn up into a dazzling smile, “They say once you have caught a fallen star, they are yours forever and ever until the end of time.” Ruby kissed him again then snuggled into his arms, gazing happily at her new ring.

George directed the carpet to circle in a slow, lazy manner for a while as he and Ruby just held each other, immersed in the joy of the moment. The earth below was dark; the sky above twinkled in a merry way as the stars stood witness to their love and passion. There above the void of nighted earth, and below the myriad canopy of stars, themselves the long legacy of Fate, two souls who were destined for each other, finally were sealed. Though she had run for years from her fate and destiny, Ruby West had been run down, for no one escapes the Fates, especially Lachesis the Measurer. Ruby had surrendered to her fate, and found it had been what she had sought when she had run away from it, unaware it was what she truly desired all along. In that evening, finally, were the threads of their life spun together as they always were meant to be. Now, with no equivocation, mental reservation, or hesitation they gave themselves to each other utterly. Doomed, destined, fated, prophesied, soul mates, the terms littered history, theirs was merely the latest incarnation of that which empowers the universe. Two threads, now as one. Forever. Always.

Ruby sighed softly in George’s arms and snuggled closer. George felt her body relax and knew she was nearing sleep so he directed the carpet to finally return them to Zakazik. After an hour or so, the carpet slowed and gently descended to the front of the Grand Hotel. George gave Ruby a little nudge and she reluctantly sat up and exited off the carpet. As George waved some of the Queen’s guards over to collect the carpet he noticed the Queen’s carriage had already arrived with their belongings. Once the carpet was secured they entered the hotel.

It was fairly late so Ruby was surprised to find her grandmother and James in the lobby sipping wine at the bar. Mina slid off the chair to give the approaching Ruby space to envelope her in a huge, sleepy hug while James gave George a hearty handshake and pat on the back. Mina pushed some hair out of Ruby’s eyes then kissed her forehead. “You two look like you had a good time.” Ruby smiled up at her grandmother, “Oh Nana, it was so wonderful…” The four of them sit at the bar for some time while Ruby gives a short version of their time together.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
AGELESS Campaign - Chapter 145, “The Battle of Wilson's Creek”

Sitting at the bar in Zakazik, the AGELESS group recounts tales of the collective pasts. James Parker then begins the tale of how he and Lawrence became acquainted with one another. “Lawrence Cantrell and first I met on August 9th, 1861 in Springfield Missouri. On the very next day the two of us became unfortunate spectators on the front lines at the Civil War battle of Wilson’s Creek, also known by the Confederacy as the Battle of Oak Hills. This was the second major battle of the Civil War and the first one fought west of the Mississippi River.

What we were doing there is an interesting story in and of itself. Following the outbreak of hostilities and blockade of southern ports the flow of spell components and other necessities for wizard magics all but dried up. Most of these items came into the United States through French sources in New Orleans, Louisiana or from Spanish sources up through Mexico and into Texas. With the war embargo on, any contraband goods from the south became impossible to obtain, making the task of wizard magic near impossible for myself and several other northern wizards.

So I made arrangements through mutual friends to obtain a large shipment of these contraband materials. I found out about Lawrence Cantrell and his connections through a mutual friend, and he acted as the middle-man for this transaction. His supplier was a Confederate staff sergeant who had been assigned as quartermaster to the Third Louisiana Infantry. That unit was mostly from northern Louisiana, but the Sergeant and a handful of others were from New Orleans, and he had all the right contacts for the items I needed.

I received notice in late July 1861 that the items had been obtained and were traveling with the Third Louisiana Infantry to northwestern Arkansas. The Sergeant felt that that the brigade which he was assigned to would soon be crossing over into southeastern Missouri. He suspected this because his unit had been paired with a group comprised of eager but untrained Confederate volunteers from Missouri who had been assembled by that state’s recently resigned Governor Claiborne Fox Jackson.

The context of this situation was that Missouri was a slave state, but in February 1861 their legislature voted to not join the Confederacy, thus they remained part of the Union. They officially declared neutrality towards the armed conflict, but as a member of the Union had to allow United States troops to be posted there. Governor Jackson strongly supported succession, and began to form his own State militia with arms smuggled in by the Confederacy. An anti-succession United States Army Captain in Missouri named Nathaniel Lyon then confiscated this militia’s stockpiled ammunition and artillery, which led to civil unrest.

President Lincoln took a hard line approach and promoted Lyon to Brigadier General, putting him in charge of all Missouri Army forces. This prompted Governor Jackson to resign and flee across the Arkansas border along with several thousand pro-succession volunteers, where he was then made a Confederate General. The Missouri legislature in Springfield appointed a new acting Governor and voted once again to remain part of the Union.

There were then several minor skirmishes between these soldiers and the United States troops in June and July. With Jackson’s troops just seventy-five miles away from Springfield, Lyon moved his own Army Regiment to guard the city. His forces consisted of approximately 6,000 troops comprised of infantry from Missouri, Iowa and Kansas, who were then supported by several companies of regular army cavalry and artillery.

For the purposes of my own objective, this situation appeared ideal. It meant that I would have safe railroads to travel on all the way to and from Springfield, Missouri, and would only have to travel a short distance to get to either northwestern Arkansas or southwestern Missouri to pick up the supplies. I arrived in Springfield on August 8th, and the following morning met up with Lawrence Cantrell, who until that point I had only communicated with though mutual acquaintances.”

Lawrence interjects “I had seen photographs of James Parker before so was able to quickly identify him.” James nods and says, “Indeed. And Lawrence then informed me what that the conflict situation had intensified, that the Confederate forces had mobilized and were now only fifteen miles southwest of Springfield. Furthermore, they had been reinforced by other volunteers from Arkansas and Missouri, with the total Confederate force now numbering 12,000. General Lyon was therefore outnumbered two-to-one and there was a strong possibility that Springfield might soon fall.

That also meant that if we were to obtain the supplies we had to do so before the possible siege and battle of Springfield. Lawrence was awaiting final word from the Confederate sergeant, which was relayed through a sympathetic female spy that afternoon. The Sergeant said that he would meet us with the items two hours after dawn of the following morning at the Wilson Township Post Office, which was a stagecoach stop along the main telegraph road, ten miles southwest of Springfield.

We left immediately, arriving in the area later that evening just as a heavy rain began to fall. We camped out on a hill within sight of the farmhouse where the Postmaster lived. The hill also gave us a good view of the surrounding countryside, and from there we could see hundreds of Confederate campfires within a few miles of our position. What Lawrence and I didn’t realize was that we had placed ourselves right dab smack in the middle of both moving armies.

The Confederate commander General McCulloch had decided to march on Springfield, but then delayed their departure due to the rain, fearing that their limited ammunition would get wet in transit. And upon hearing from his own spies that the Confederates were preparing to march, Union General Lyon mobilized the majority his forces. Unbeknownst to us, they had left Springfield just a few hours after we had.

So as the sun rose on the 10th, Lawrence and I casually packed up our belongings and headed down in the direction of the farmhouse to await our contact and merchandise. We got far more than we bargained for, as both armies were now moving and closing in upon our very location. We heard some musket fire around a mile off, but assumed it to be just a local shooting game.

We had just reached the far end of the large cornfield owned by the Postmaster and saw several of his children herding horses in an adjacent field. A group of mounted United States soldiers then rode up and yelled to the children “Get to shelter, there’s going to be fighting like Hades in less than ten minutes.” The children retreated to the Postmaster’s farmhouse and in hindsight Lawrence and should have too, but we feared that the Union Soldiers now filling the road might mistake us for Confederate scouts and fire upon us.

So we hunkered down at the far end of the cornfield and watched as a major battle unfolded. Three companies of United States Infantry, totaling around 300 troops, soon arrived followed by several hundred infantry and cavalry from Kansas and Missouri. The Confederates from Arkansas and Louisiana then came up from the southern road and outnumbered them three-to-one, but the southerns were armed mostly with muskets, squirrel rifles and shotguns, all short-range weapons. The U.S. troops had the newest long-range arms, so could fire from a safe distance still out of range of their opponents.

As the cornfield turned into a battlefield Lawrence and I initially considered heading back up the hill, until United States artillery then fired from the top of that same hill and was countered by a Confederate battery firing back. Three times during the cornfield battle entire waves of confederate soldiers swept through our position, with us moving with them each time to make them think we were their allies, until it was safe for us to fall back again. Surprisingly we were never hit by fire from either side, although at least a dozen bullets and a cannonball or two came rather close.

The Union army was forced to pull back. They were then reinforced with an entire brigade of 1,200 infantry and gave a counter surge, causing the Confederates to retreat, with the brigade pursuing them. Major fighting was still going on back at the hill, but the cornfield was finally quiet, as more Union troops arrived. These were all regular army troops, and when I heard a group of men with unmistakable Boston accents I spoke up with my own and we came out of hiding. I explained that Lawrence and I had been seeking the postmaster when the fighting began. They then escorted us to the home of Postmaster John Ray.

As the start of the battle Ray had ushered his wife Roxanna, his eleven children, his hired hand Julius Short and an Ogress slave called Aunt Rhoda all down into their storm cellar. John Ray watched the fighting until it got too close, then he joined his family down below. They were still hiding down there while the house was turned into an Union Army Hospital, with Doctors treating the dozen of wounded now lying atop every piece of furniture in the home. Lawrence and I volunteered our services to head doctor Samuel Melcher, who put us to work as nurse assistants. When the Ray family eventually emerged from hiding they too were all put to work providing assistance to the surgeons.

Word reached us that while General Lyon’s brigade held what was now called ‘Bloody Hill'. He had another brigade under Colonel Franz swing around with a flanking maneuver to surprise the Confederates and rout them. It almost worked, but Franz’s group then encountered the 700-man Third Louisiana Infantry. Uniform colors had not been standardized, and this local southern militia wore blue uniforms that almost exactly matched that of the Union Army. Mistakenly believing these to be Union allies, they allowed them to get close enough for hand-to-hand combat before their identity was discovered, and a bloody skirmish erupted. That halted the Union advance.

At 9:30 A.M. word arrived that General Lyons and other senior officers had been killed, with the ranking officer on the hill being only a Major. Confederate forces now charged our position in great number and the Union Army retreated. Most of the wounded could not be moved and Doctor Melcher announced that he was staying.” Lawrence adds, “Ray’s handiman Julius Short was actually my local contact, and he quietly suggested that we stay as well in hopes of completing out planned transaction.”

The Confederates swarmed our position, with their own Doctors deciding to continue the building’s role as a hospital, now bringing in Confederate wounded. They let the Union surgeons continue to operate, but I was a mere aid and once they heard my Yankee accent a Confederate Officer ordered our arrest.

After we identified ourselves by name we were then rescued though an amazing coincidence.” Lawrence says, “Yes indeed. The senior Confederate physician in charge from the First Arkansas Mounted Rifle Brigade turned out to be Doctor William Cantrell, my Great Uncle. I had never met my grandfather’s youngest brother before, but we had both heard of one another. He vouched for the two of us so we continued to provide assistance to the surgeons.”

James continues, “The Confederate advance then stalled, as Union Major Samuel Sturgis up on Bloody Hill proved to be a very able commander and artillerist, keeping position of the hill and raining artillery down on the multitude of Confederate units. A few shots came near the building until Yellow flags were raised to identify us as a hospital.

Then in yet another case of mistaken identity, Sturgis allowed a Confederate Brigade from Arkansas to approach and climb Bloody Hill from the west. He thought these were Union reinforcements, as they wore uniforms the same shade of military gray as the First Iowa Infantry, who comprised one-sixth of the Union troops.

Once the hill was abandoned a full Union retreat was ordered by Sturgis. This order was temporarily counter-maned by the senior Union officer, Major-General Sigel, who held the road north of Wilson’s Creek until 11:30 AM at which time they were low on artillery and other ammunition, so a full retreat to Springfield was ordered. Sigel himself was then cut off and almost captured by enemy forces, who amazingly allowed him ride by, as he wore a blanket-style cape and hat that was very similar to those worn by the Confederate Third Texas Cavalry, a group that had been held in reserve through most of the fighting.

Union General Lyon’s corpse was found and brought into the makeshift hospital where Doctor Cantrell was insistent upon removing the bullet that killed him before returning the body to the United States. Finding this curious, I managed to have Lawrence perform a slight-of-hand maneuver and replace the shell with another one. Doctor Cantrell got us an official pass to get through the Confederate lines and back to land held by the United States. The man named Short was able to then have us secretly meet up with the Louisiana quartermaster for our planned transaction, although I had to limit the transaction to only the smaller more easily concealed items.

So the Confederates won the day, although the 2,500 casualties were rather evenly divided between the two sides. The Union abandoned Springfield the next day, leaving southwestern Missouri in Confederate hands from which they launched guerilla attacks elsewhere throughout Missouri for the remainder of the war. That battle’s confusion also highlighted the need by both sides to attire each army with uniforms of a single identifiable color.

I was able to later identify the bullet which killed General Lyons as magical in nature, a rare and highly illegal item known as a ‘Targeted Bullet’, that is customized to slay a specific individual. It had been made by a Confederate wizard and weapon-smith named Bailey, a man who years later provided a similar bullet to John Wilkes Booth for his assassination of President Lincoln. Ruby and Nanuet can also give you a first-hand account about that type of magic item, as earlier this year the very same Bailey provided the outlaw Johnny Ringo with targeted bullets customized for each of them.

Lyon had been a brilliant commander whose life had been cut short through wizardry. For me the Battle of Wilson Creek was the inspiration to establish my undercover espionage team, to keep magic from being used by the Confederacy to change the outcomes of battles. And Lawrence became the first person I recruited to join that team, due to our shared experience that on day.”

This Concludes the second module of the AGELESS Campaign. Reader comments are welcomed and appreciated.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
What an awesome story! So glad you had that little surprise.

Ruby will surely never forget her run in with her "special" bullet. I believe Nanuet removed it with magic, and she kept the shell with her name on it.

Sent from my iPad using EN World

Silver Moon

Adventurer
What an awesome story! So glad you had that little surprise.
Thank you Queenie. It is funny how one historical fact can spin itself into a whole historical interlude. Once I came across the fact that a confederate doctor at the Battle of Wilson's Creek was named William Cantrell it was just a matter of figuring out how Lawrence Cantrell and James Parker would have been there as well.

Remove ads