AGELESS Campaign Episode 2 - Temple of the Cat-Goddess

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 50 "Shopping in Zakazik” (Episode Two, Chapter Ten) - Thursday, September 7, 1882, 6:30 A.M.

All four groups enter the city in quick procession. The Princess's entourage heads directly down the main boulevard towards the large and elaborate building that the dirigible is tethered to the roof of. Most buildings are made of brick or clay, with a few built of wooden timbers and the two castles built from stone.

The party takes in the vast array of color within the city, a stark contrast to the overall beige of the sandy dessert and outer walls of the city. Most residents are attired in silks dyed primarily in bright blues, reds, oranges, yellows, and purples. Half the men wear shirt and pants, the other half in robes ranging from simple to fancy. Nearly all of the women are attired in dresses or robes, with the variety from one extreme of head-to-toe covering with only the eyes exposed to the other extreme of near-nakedness with only a few strategically placed handkerchief-sized silks.

Lawrence's jaw drops at the sight of the scantily-clad women. It would create a scandal back home. He shakes his head. Enjoy the view, my boy. Ruby Oohhhh and Ahhhsss at the new sights and sounds. "I have to get me one of those," she comments when a scantily clad woman walks by in her colorful scarves. "I can't wait to try the food. Let's find a place to stay for now. I wonder what is going on at the palace with that big balloon there and why the princess is here. Or maybe she already lives here? We should go out tonight and try to find out more information. Though I suppose George will have to do all the talking."

Mina lowers her voice and tells Ruby in a whisper "Not necessarily, although we should probably wait to discuss it for when we have more privacy." Ruby replies, "Nana, do you know a place to stay from your last visit? If so, lead the way!" She replies, "When we visited we didn't stay overnight, we came by train from Cairo and left that same evening. But it's a city, we should be able to find lodgings easy enough." Lawrence sidles up to Fish and whispers, "The Frenchmen are most likely in that big building. We'll have to do a little scouting. They have to come out sometime."

Abby had stayed back and quiet as they moved through the city. Uncertainty wasn't something she had much familiarity with, but she barely knew these people and they were walking together into a dangerous situation. Truth be told, inside she was just as excited as Ruby, but she wanted to be alive to experience this place. She bent toward Mina and said, "I think we could all use a primer in local customs. We need to move freely and not draw attention to ourselves unless we want it."

They opt to check the better part of the city, near but not exactly next to the opulent hotel that the Princess and Frenchmen appear to be at. They settle upon a hotel that appears to cater to tourists as the sign above the door has the name ‘Arabian Nights Inn' written in English and French as well as Arabic. The four-story building is also one of the few constructed primarily of wood and stone. They enter the lobby, which feels twenty-degrees cooler than outside. Complimentary biscuits and tea have been set out in a lounge area, which has both the traditional Western-style table and chairs as well as low tables surrounded by pillows.

Glancing about the lobby, Fish ducks his head toward Alsoomse. "Your 'stable boy' can't be seen enjoying tea and crumpets with the leisure class," he whispers. "I should tend to the horses, but I'd best be able to parley with the staff, yes?" Alsoomse replies, "We will both see to the animals, some of those are borrowed and I promised to take good care of them." "Cave Dweller is a beauty!" replies Fish quietly, glancing back through the doorway at the pretty mare. "Let's get these steeds to the stables, rubbed down and fed."

George looks over the crowd "How many rooms do you think Mina" George asks quietly in English. Mina replies, "These places often cater to a sheik with many retainers stay. Ask for a suite with a large central room and four or more bedrooms." "Oh how exciting! George, hurry up and get the rooms so we can go exploring!" While she waits for the rooms to be arranged, she wanders over to the biscuits and tries one. It has a taste of almond and honey. "This is de-lic-OUS!" Ruby says, grabbing a second. "You all should try it!" She plops herself down on the satiny pillows and waits for the rooms to be readied.

Alsoomse and Fish tend to the horses. As he can't yet speak freely, he remains silent but takes special note of the other stable hands. He checks to see if they all look local born and if any of the other horses that appear especially well-bred. He also looks to see what sort of guard on staff assigned to secure the stables. "Allie," whispers Fish as he begins grooming Cave Dweller, "do you have a way of communicating with these pretty critters while we're away? I'm fine with sleeping here in the stable if you don't. Some of the other boys will be doing the same, I'm sure, and it might give me a good opportunity to gather intelligence."

George heads to the front desk "How are you my friend, I require a large room with bedrooms for my servants, do you have one available?" he asks in Arabic. After payment is made George is given a large key and given directions to the suite on the third floor. George leaves a message to have the servants tending his horses sent up when they are finished.

Ruby hops up off the pillows and follows George up the stairs curiously. "I can't wait to see what the rooms look like, probably magnificent!" She stands impatiently around George's shoulder, anxious for her first look at the accommodations. He then leads the rest of the group upstairs so they can unpack and plan further. Once they were in the room, Abby says “I want to get out of these robes” adding "Whatever I'm going to be, I'm not going to be wearing a Burka, that's for sure."

The main room is large, 15 by 20 feet, with low tables and pillows to sit on. The main table has a basket of fruit and two chilled bottles of wine beside eight crystal glasses. The room is brightly lit through large windows and the walls are adorned with brightly colored tapestries. The bedrooms are small, each only 8 by 10 feet and spartanly furnished with only a full-sized bed, night table and oil lamp. "Well, it's nice in here anyway," Ruby says as she waves at the main room. "So, can we get something to eat. The little muffin was yummy but now I'm hungry. Besides," her eyes light up, "I want to see the shopping! The market must be amazing!"

Fish slices fruit for everyone. With a nod toward Ruby, he then begins a thorough inspection of the walls for peepholes or hidden doors. No peepholes or hidden doors are found, but during the search he does find a gold coin and a silver coin that had fallen into a crack in the floorboards by the wall. Ruby lazily watches Ben check over the room.

"I doubt the fact that Mr. Eastman told the captain of the gate guard that you were his servant is likely to cause you any trouble traveling on his arm in town, but it's worth noting anyway," says Fish warily, "I'm content to play the role. As I've said, it will serve me well mixing it up with the other help!"

Abby sat down and pulled off her boots, and pulled her blouse away from her skin, sticky from being crushed under the robe. "Miss West, out there it is beautiful, exotic, and fascinating. It's also dangerous. Shopkeepers would cut off your hand if they think you stole from them, and nothing makes them suspicious like someone who doesn't know the customs," she said in her thick accent. "I never really learned the language here since I can't manage to speak it without giving myself away."

Alsoomse takes a box out of the saddlebag that Fish carried in from her horse. She removes five metal vials from the box saying, "These are Elixirs of Comprehension. Drinking this will allow you to understand languages that are unfamiliar to you and then allow you to respond in that same language as if you were a native speaker. I have one vial for each of you non-Arabic speakers, each of which contains enough for two hours. A thin layer of wax is between each one-eight, allowing for fifteen minutes. If you are going to want longer than that you will need to poke through the wax with a stick or pen. "Or a lock pick!" says Fish lustily. Alsoomse adds, “Also note, that this comprehension is limited to spoken word, the written language would still be incomprehensible. It also will not work in conjunction with other magic, either magical items or spells."

Abby comments, "Now that we can get ourselves in trouble in Arabic as well as English, any hints on things we shouldn't mention or talk about? I'd hate to get myself in trouble by insulting some sheiks Mama." Mina says, "You'd probably get away with the mother comment, but watch what you say about his camel."

Ruby takes her potion and slips it in her dress. "Well, okay then, now that we're all armed, let's go exploring. How dangerous could it be out there?" she grins, knowing how many dangerous situations she had been in and would be in the future. She pulls on George's arm. "Come on, apparently you have to lead the way!" "Alright" says George. "Let's go find you something to eat and see what we can dig up."

The city streets are all hustle and bustle as they exit the hotel, with various vendors selling their wares at stands along the main boulevard. The primary meats appear to be sheep and goat, with rice being the primary grain, and with dates and figs as the main produce items. A number of cloth merchants have brightly colored bolts for sale. Armor and weapons merchants are also out, yelling to passers-by to purchase these items before the British Infidels arrive.

Ruby whispers, “So... am I not supposed to talk or something? I mean, will that get us in trouble? I'd like to do some shopping while we are here." Mina replies, "Well, lets go shopping then. I know the language and we have plenty of money, but let's just bring along one of the men to intimidate anybody who may want to take advantage of us defenseless females." "Ha!" Ruby laughs at the thought. "We should bring them anyway so we can keep an eye on them so they don't get in trouble. We're heading off shopping if anyone wants to join us!" She wraps her arm though George's. Lawrence says, "I'm not one for shopping, but I'll come along. It'll give me a chance to scout out the place. We could find out where the Frenchies like to gather."

Ruby exclaims, "Nana, let's find someplace we can buy some clothes. I love those exotic little dresses." Fish blushes, thinking to himself, "Miss West wearing nothing more just those little silk handkerchiefs?" "I certainly need something more appropriate for the weather, and the place," Abby added. "It's not so much we shouldn't talk, but with the British coming just now English is the language of the enemy. You'll get more shopping done if they don't hear you speaking it."

Ruby replies, "Well... I can speak Spanish pretty well... or French. I don't know if either of those is better!" Lawrence comments, "Then, I'll have to keep my mouth shut. English is the only thing I speak. Fish, here, might have a problem with keeping quiet," he says with a wink. "s'allright!" says Fish cheerily, hoisting his potion, "I have Alsoomse's cocktail!" Mina says, "Well, I speak both Spanish and French, as do George and Alsoomse, so we can use either of those languages for me to translate the Arabic in." They proceed towards a long row of clothing merchants, each specializing in a different style or dye colors.

Ruby ooohhs, ahhhs and squees as they walk up and down the aisles full of beautifully colored silks and satins, ribbons, sequins and beads. She is dizzy with excitement as she explores, this being one of her dreams come true. She lets Mina do the haggling; not that she can't haggle herself but she is so overwhelmed with everything surrounding her that her senses are on overload. They make purchases at three consecutive clothing vendors, after which it is not only Ruby's senses that are overloaded but also John's arms, as he carrying all of the things they bought.

Ruby exclaims, "I can't wait to get this on tonight for dinner! Say, where WILL we eat dinner tonight?" Mina says, "Possibly the top hotel if we want a closer look at the French. The possible downside is that they would probably recognize me, even in disguise. "It's the hair Nana," Ruby laughs, "It always gives us away. But why do you think they would recognize you after all this time? Oh wait, you mean the wizards...? Right, because they already know you. Hmmm.... Do you think we should split up for dinner then?" "Perhaps," Mina states.

After a pause Mina says, "If we decide that I should reveal myself to them I and whoever I go with should probably also get a room where they are staying, to prevent them from looking for me elsewhere. What do the rest of you think? Given that we are somewhat pressed for time would a direct confrontation be in order?" "It's your show, Lady Parker!" replies Benjamin with a grin, "Tell me to jump, and I'll ask 'how high?'"

"Hmmm...," Ruby taps her lips, "Maybe that would be helpful. If they think you are here with one of us and stay somewhere else, the rest of us can watch what they do once they know you are here, force their hand, so to speak. Perhaps they might give away a secret or two with their actions. Given our similar attributes," she grins while speaking those words, "I could be the one to stay with you. Or not, if you think my other skills will come in handy not being with you."

"I think we ought to rig their airship to leak or explode and slow down their exit from this city. But the fact that they are as close as they are in the dig to the central chamber tells me that we ought to press the issue. Beside, we want to be out of here before the armies hit. I want some of that delicious Shawarma I smell up ahead first but then we should find a way to maybe send Fish and Lawrence up to that airship first then confront the wizards." suggests George.

Fish cranes his neck to look up at the dirigible tied at the end of its l--o--n--g tether. He shudders. He then glances at Cantrell and shrugs. "In for a dime, in for a dollar!" he replies, grinning again. Lawrence follows his gaze. "Can't be much worse than that bridge we built in Cincinnati." He rubs his hands together. The tether from the balloon appears to go down to the center of the roof of the large multi-story fancy hotel. Lawrence asks, "How do you want to go about this, Fish? I'm not much of a climber, so I vote for bluffing our way in. Just walk in like we own the place."

George says, "I don't think we need that. Even just cutting the tether would be enough, let the airship drift away on it's own. We have the horses and can get back to the temple quickly. I think we need to cut the tether, confront the wizards, make a quick get away through the temple to Florida. We still have a lot of doors to explore." offers George.

Ruby states, "Okay, so the French are staying at the fancy hotel... lucky them. Whomever goes to check them out can check out the roof to see about that balloon. But I don't think we should disable it, heck, we might need to snatch it to get us our of here quick! Okay so the two groups, let's here some suggestions as who wants to go where. I feel like I should stay with Nana and get a room at the fancy hotel, because we look so alike surely they will think of her when they see me and be suspicious. However, my skills could probably be very useful elsewhere if searching is necessary."

George says, "Hold on. Mina, what do you want to accomplish in confronting the wizards?" She replies, "Primarily to find out exactly why they are here. Their goals may actually be the same as ours, I don't mean the doors to Atlantis, I am referring to the goal of preventing the British and Egyptian Rebel armies from destroying the ruins of Bubastus." Lawrence says, "So Mina, you're saying the enemy of our enemy is our friend? I'll hold out on sneaking into the hotel for now. I can follow them, though. No one pays attention to a servant. Who knows what they'll say." He pauses then sheepishly adds, "But I don't speak French." Fish smiles, rolling his vial between thumb and forefinger. "Miss Alsoomse has us covered, Lawrence! We can mingle with the help while the women dine fancy."

Abby says, "I think we're all gettin' ahead of ourselves, darlin's. Like Mrs. Parker said, we want to know what they're up to, and we ought to know before we let their lovely balloon drift away. We don't want to be fightin' the French when we're tryin' to defeat two whole armies, too." Ruby says, Abby's right, 'bout the balloon thing. Let's return to our hotel and get ready for dinner. We'll confront the French head on, I say."

"So, then plan is to waltz in and have tea with them? Ask them their intentions? Spy upon them? Barge in, tie them up and interrogate them? How shall we get the information from them, I don’t see them being very forthcoming on their plans." counters George. "George Eastman, are you doubting my Nana's and my abilities to get the information we are seeking?? Since when have we not gotten the job done?" Ruby smirks. "I have no doubts about that Constance, I am merely trying to establish what it is we need to get and how. I am not as familiar with these wizard as Mina is, and I am relying upon her to know the best approach." replies George.

Ruby takes Nana by the arm and leads her back to the hotel to prepare for dinner. "So Nana, are you and I switching to the fancy hotel?" Mina replies, "Yes, I believe that we can. However, I would suggest that we also bring one of the men with us so that we look to have a protector, John perhaps." “Lead the way, Mrs. Parker!" chortles Fish.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 51 "Welcome to the Zakazik Grand Hotel” (Episode Two, Chapter Eleven) - Thursday, September 7, 1882, 2:00 P.M.

The crew returns to their hotel room and for the next several hours they work on their various makeup, disguises and concealing various weapons. They then split into three groupings, Mina and Ruby state their intentions to head off to the fancy hotel to check in as guest, adding that one of the men should also accompany them. "I will of course accompany my intended," replies George "So she can protect me" he adds with a smile.

Fish says that he will lead a 'stealth' team to follow and watch both the first group and hotel. Lawrence says, "OK, Fish. That works for me. Let's go to the hotel." A third group will be led by Alsoomse, to simultaneously investigate the city. Abby states, "I'll go on with Alsoomse. I'm not feelin' much like a fancy dinner this evenin'." John says that he will stay back at this hotel, to be able to assist either group if needed. Alsoomse says she will bring the parrot with her and send it back with a message if they run into trouble.

George, Mina and Ruby head out with their luggage in the direction of the fancy hotel. The sign by the front doorway reads "Zakazik Grand Hotel" in English as well as similar names in French, Italian, German, Greek and Arabic. Upon entering the building the most immediate thing noticed is a sharp decrease in temperature, with the interior of the building being in the high sixties or low seventies.

The main lobby is brightly lit with a number of side rooms, most of which appear to be restaurants or taverns. The center of the room has a large fountain with a statue of Bast in the center. Young boys wearing the official uniforms of he hotel hurry forward to relieve George of the bags while young girls offer glasses of ice water to all three travelers. An Egyptian man in a three-piece suit and top hat steps forward to greet George. George greets the man in Arabic "Marhaba. I would like to inquire about rooms"

The man replies in Arabic "Yes indeed sir, we have the finest rooms in the city. Will you want separate individual rooms or a suite? And please specify the age and gender desired for each personal assistant and if you will be requiring their services during the daytime
hours, evening hours, or around the clock." "Yes, a suite please, with three rooms." The clerk says, "Yes sir, and the attendants? Male? Female? And for how much of the day?" George replies, "Two female, and until tomorrow, though my business may keep me longer."

While George is checking in an Egyptian man wearing gold-embroidered robes and lots of gold jewelry heads over towards Mina and Ruby and says in heavily accented English, "What beautiful red hair! Would the two of you be from the Emerald Isle? I spent much of my youth in Dublin and Belfast."

"Why thank you," Ruby replies to the man, shaking out her long hair to make it bounce. "Actually, our family is from England. From your accent it sounds as if you are also familiar with England, or there must be a curious story as to your accent..." She looks at him with a questioning, curious gaze. He smiles and says, "My Maternal Grandfather was from Ireland and saw to my education there. I am Sultan Ali Ramuel. And what brings you lovely creatures to this isolated part of the world?"

Ruby smiles and gives him a little curtsy. "Pleasure to meet you Sultan Ali and thank you for the compliment! My Nana and I are here on vacation. A little adventure and sightseeing does one good, I am sure you know. It's so beautiful here I have always been curious to take a look around at the wonders." Ali smiles and replies, "Well then, I welcome you here to my Uncle's hotel, and hope that you will enjoy your stay. I would, however, suggest that you not stay too long in Zakazik, trouble appears to be on its way here."

"Your Uncle you say? What a lucky man, this hotel is absolutely stunning." Ruby furrows her brows in a way her Nana knows is an act, "Trouble you say? What kind of trouble? And will this trouble be here soon? I'd hate to have my vacation cut short." He replies, "A very bad kind of trouble, which I fear will impact your vacation. Foreign invaders. I came here to assist my Uncle prepare for the worst."

"What are these foreign invaders after? And when will they be here? I'll be so disappointed if I have to cut my dream vacation short," Ruby pouts. Ali replies, "British soldiers, the same ones who have been bombarding Alexandria for the last three months. They're now coming overland and will be here in two or three days. I plan to be gone before they arrive." She asks, "Any idea what they are after?" Ali replies, "Total control of all of Egypt."

"Oh, well, is that all? Who wouldn't want that?" Ruby sighs, "Well, I suppose it might cut our vacation short then. That's too bad I was so excited to see all of this beautiful country. I'm curious, what is that big balloon thing attached to the building? It looks... interesting." George has finished arranging for a suite, but remains across the room and keeps an attentive ear on Ruby's conversation, not wanting to interrupt the free flow of information.

Ali replies, "It belongs to some of our guest. I can introduce them to you at dinner if you would like. I am sure that they would be happy to tell you of their wondrous invention." Ruby says, "Oh that sounds exciting! I love adventure. So tell me, what do you suggest we do here with our limited time?" He replies, "One of the men with the balloon is an archaeologist who is familiar with the ancient ruins of Bubastus. Perhaps he could give you a tour tomorrow."

"I will most certainly ask him tonight then. Thank you for all your help you have been most kind." Ruby loops her arm through Nana's then stops short. "What time is dinner sir?" He replies, "7:00 PM, four hours from now." "Very well." With a nod of her head Ruby leads her grandmother away and over to George. "Anything else either of you need to do before dinner? I'm thinking we should wait until we hear the story of that balloon before we go searching it."

Mina says, "I imagine that the rooms will be rather elegant. I for one wouldn't mind taking advantage of that in the short term. And quite frankly, due to the time difference, I wouldn't mind a nap as well, otherwise I might fall asleep during the meal." At the desk, two female Egyptian teenagers are called forward and assigned to George and his party. They are introduced as Cleo and Tierra and both appear to be around sixteen years of age. They accompany him over to where Mina and Ruby are waiting.

Good idea Nana. Let's have some baths and a nice nap then we will proceed with the evening. We will need to be fresh and well rested tonight for our little dinner." She waves to the girls. "Good afternoon ladies. We'd like to have baths and naps, if you don't mind helping us get settled in the rooms, we'd appreciate it." She takes George's arm then follows the girls up to their new room, taking a good look around and she walks through the hotel.

The girls lead them up to a third floor five-room suite. The center room has a sunken floor with a coffee table and pillows in the center. Colorful tapestries and paintings of ships on the Nile adorn the walls. A four-foot high statue of Bast stands near the door. Three of the side rooms are bedrooms, each with plush king sized beds. The other room is an elaborate marble bathroom with one large bathtub and one small bathtub.

George hands each of the girls a few coins and dismisses them. After the doors are closed he turns to Mina and Ruby. "Maybe a late night, I think a nap is definitely a good idea Mina. Though I do think we need to have some idea of what we wish to accomplish and how. I fear I am still rather troubled by my lack of comprehension of what is is we intend to accomplish."

While it is mid-afternoon in Egypt the trio have actually been awake for much longer so settle down in their beds. The pair of servant girls have departed. Mina agrees that a nap is certainly in order and heads into one of the three bedrooms, closing the wooden door from the inside. Ruby also agrees a nap is in order. She drags George off into one of the bedroom, quickly strips down and collapses into bed.

Meanwhile, Fish and Lawrence had followed the trio of Mina, Ruby and George from a discrete distance until they entered the hotel. They then looked around for an entrance other than the front door, seeing a number of doors to the side of the building. A young man wearing a simple white tunic stained with food steped outside from a side door and emptied a bucket of food scraps into the alley, which two stray dogs then poke through.

Lawrence nudges Fish and says, "Here we go. Let's wait for him to go back in, then wait a minute. I doubt they'll lock this door. Too much trouble for the staff." "Yes," replies Fish quietly, "Let's each take a hit of Alsoomse's juju and saunter on over there." Benjamin and Lawrence each takes a swig of the Elixir of Comprehension, which temporarily overwhelms them with the various sounds of the city as well as smells from the alley way.

Fish has a keen sense of his surroundings, used as he is to dark alleys and the riff raff that frequent them. He adds one last detail to his disguise, smearing some mud along one incisor and scuffing his lapels. He then spits on Cantrell's coat and follows that up with a handful of dirt rubbed in for effect. "Lawrence, what say you we go commiserate with them other working stiffs, like that pearl diver over there that just emptied his dish water in the street?"

Fish and Lawrence approach the door. They hear voices inside speaking in Arabic, which their ears hear as Arabic but it is then mentally translated within their head with the comprehension of what is being stated. The two men who are speaking currently talking about when they anticipate the enemy armies to arrive.

Fish reaches inside his vest to extract a small leather pouch with a drawstring, presses it flat, and then proceeds to wrap it neatly inside brown paper. "Cooks need rare spice to prepare fancy meals, right, Lawrence?" he says with a wink. "Good thing we're delivering this 'mastic', huh?" He steps toward the kitchen door, tilting his head to indicate Cantrell should follow. Lawrence nods and follows Fish. He tests out the elixir by trying to say in Arabic, "Can we speak or just understand? Anyway, delivery men sounds good. Just pretend like we belong and start raising our voices if they get suspicious."

"Suspicion is to be expected, Lawrence," quips Fish with a sly grin, "our objective is fairly simple: gather info, chat with the kitchen crew, pass through and move on. George 'Fancy Pants' may be all that, but we're the ones gatherin' the intel!" Fish and Lawrence reach the back door just as it opens again, the man having a pail full of soapy dishwater. Lawrence taps Fish on the shoulder and says, "Here we go. Showtime." He walks up to the man and hopes the potion works as advertised. "Hold the door, my good man. We have a important delivery here."

The man holds the door and says in response to Lawrence's comment, "Ah yes Sahbib, hurry up with that, Urbek has been waiting for it." Fish waves the package. Lawrence bows and replies, "Excellent. We'll get it to him right away." The cook nods towards a side door of the room and says, "Good, you made good time to get it here from Memphis this fast.”

The cook holds the door as Lawrence and Fish exit into the service corridor saying "Urbek is in the laundry room". Lawrence nods and heads down the hallway. "Let's go, friend. Urbek's waiting." They travel for twenty feet when a plump man in a plain linen tunic and wearing a scruffy beard exits from a hot room filled with freshly folded sheets and towels. He says, "Ah, the messengers from Memphis! Do you have what the Frenchman was looking for?"

Lawrence says, "Yes, yes. Of course. We have it right here. Now, where is he so we can give it to him in person?" Urbek hands Lawrence a pile of clean folded towels and pointing to a door says, "He is on the top floor, in the Executive Suite. Take the servants staircase up and if anybody asks say that you are delivering towels."

Fish speaks softly, though his charm is palpable. "Do tell, Urbek, what's really in the parcel? We've traveled all these many nights under shadow and slept too many fitfully hot days in tents with sand fleas molesting our nether NOT to have finally arrived with your package and gain no clue what the freight was! It made sense not knowing for the trip itself: ignorance IS bliss. That ugly red signet ring won us uncontested passage repeatedly, although occasionally a threat, a slap, and/or a palm full of coins helped too. What has the frog acquired?"

Urbek replies, "I don't know anything about a ring. And as far as I know, all that you are bringing is a feather from some sort of very rare bird. The French alchemist needs it for a special elixir he is making." While he is speaking the man hands Fish another pile of clean and folded towels. Heading up the stairs with the towels, Fish turns to Cantrell and says quietly, "I can't bluff the existence of a feather we don't have! What do we do next? Reconnoiter and then duck out?"

They reach the top floor and are momentarily surprised to see four armed guards outside of the door, all wearing uniforms of the French Foreign Legion. "Who are you?" one of them say? "Fresh towels!" grins Fish, offering up the linens. The man removes a key from his belt and unlocks the door, a second soldier holding the door for Fish and Lawrence to enter.

They enter into a large room with chairs and couches. A well stocked bar is along the side wall and several empty wine bottles are in a wooden waste basket beside the bar. Off from this room is a long corridor with four doors on each side of the corridor. Another armed guard in a Foreign Legionnaire uniform is at the end of this corridor and he raises his rifle in their direction.

Feigning deference, Fish asks, "Here on the bar OK, soldier?" while moving to set the towels on the counter. He glances at Cantrell. The guard yells out in French "Mr. Chevreul, we have company." One of the doors opens and out walks a well dressed man who looks to be around sixty-five years of age, clean shaven, with white and gray hair in a bit of disarray. He removes a pair of rubber gloves from his hand and approaches Fish and Lawrence, stating in French "Are you the messengers? Did you find it?"

Fish feigns incomprehension. Bowing, he says, "Sahib, we are here with your linens. Every apology for disturbing you." He glances again at Lawrence and backs up toward the door while continuing to bow. The Fenchman gestures to a pair of doors on the opposite side of the main living room and replies in Arabic "Put half of them in the master bath and the others in the kitchen." He turns and heads back into the room he came from. Before the door is shut Lawrence and Fish glimpse what appears to be laboratory equipment inside of that room.

Fish and Lawrence see that the kitchen is a large room with a lit woodstove roaring away and a dozen of pots of various sizes containing liquids and thicker fluids boiling atop them, but none of the contents smell or look anything like food. A basket full of damp and soiled towels is near the door, as it appears they were down to the final clean towel. The door to an unoccupied adjacent dining room is propped slightly open. Lawrence carries half of the towels. He takes a good look before setting his towels on an empty shelf. He sneaks some sniffs of the bubbling liquids and tries to remember them for later.

Lawrence gently pushes the dining room door open. The dining table has been pushed alongside the far wall, with all of the chairs removed and along another wall. Fastened to the entire five-by-twelve foot table is an enormous map of Lower Egypt, the area of the Nile Delta, prominently showing where the Nile forks shortly after Cairo with the Rosetta Branch flowing northwest to the Mediterranean Sea near Alexandria and the Damietta Branch flowing northeast to the Mediterranean Sea near Port Said.

Sitting atop the map in various places are eight piles of playing cards. Each pile has exactly six cards, with at least one card of each of the four suits in each grouping of six. The playing card box is in the table corner, with another six cards inside it. Lawrence whispers to Fish, "What do you think they have going on here?" Lawrence describes the scene to Fish. "Huh. What do you make of this? Are they playing for control of different areas of the country? Or is this some sort of ritual?" He notes what areas are covered by each pile.

Atop Zakazig are the Ace and Club of Hearts, the Jacks of Spades and Diamonds, the Eight of Spades and the Two of Clubs. East of Zakazig atop Tanis are the King of Spades, Nine of Diamonds, Seven and Six of Clubs, and Threes of Spades and Clubs. Further East at Port Siad are the King of Diamonds, Jack of Clubs, Tens of Hearts and Clubs, Six of Clubs and Five of Spades. Northwest of Zakazig between there and the Sea at the town of Damanhur are the Ace of Clubs, King of Hearts, Nine of Clubs, Seven of Diamonds, the Four of Spades and Two of Diamonds. At the Coastal city of Alexandria are the Queen of Spades, Sevens of Clubs and Spades, Six of Clubs, Five of Hearts and Four of Diamonds.

Not far from Alexandria at the town of Athribis are the King of Spades, Queen and Jack of Hearts, Ten and Nine of Clubs and Three of Diamonds. To the Southwest at Cairo are the Ace of Diamonds, Queen of Diamonds, Ten of Diamonds, Nine of Spades, Eight of Hearts and Five of Clubs. The cards remaining in the box are the Five of Diamonds, the Four, Three and Two of Hearts and both Jokers. A few miles north of Cairo, when the Nile forks at Heliopolis are the Queen of Clubs, Nine of Hearts, Eight of Diamonds, Six of Diamonds, Four of Clubs and Two of Spades.

Lawrences replaces the cards as he found them. He sets down the towels and says to Fish, "We should go. I don't think there's any more information to get here. The others need to know about this." "Agreed!" replies Fish. He looks around for something small but interesting to palm as they slip out. He finds an onyx stone of the Egyptian God Anibus.

Fish shares with Lawrence a glimpse of the stone he liberated, tossing it from one palm to the other, arching his eyebrows and pressing smooth lips into a thin lecherous grin. "This stone is freakishly cold! Cantrell, we need to find the others right quick." He squirrels the item away inside a false hem behind his left pant leg. "Lady Wilamina pays me well when I liberate baubles like this one! Besides, don't you wanna see what the hens are wearing tonight? We should choose an ostentatious bouquet for the ladies. There's gotta be some street vendors between here and the hotel. Ooh! And Ruby loves chocolate! I'll get some of that for sure!"

Lawrence pats him on the back. "You should be careful about trying to impress Miss West so hard. She is smitten with Mr. Eastman. However, a bouquet is a capital idea, Fish. I wonder what that stone is used for. James will probably know. Let's go."

"While that's true, Lawrence, it is kinda fun watching George trip over a slow burn!" replies Fish mischievously. "Miss West is a flirt and curvy too, but I'd never come between the two of them," says Fish lightheartedly. "Besides, her grandmother pays far too well!" he adds with a wink. Lawrence replies, "Aye. Well then carry on. As long as you enjoy the chase. Like a dog chasing a carriage." He winks.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 52 "The Formal Dinner” (Episode Two, Chapter Twelve - Thursday, September 7, 1882, 3:00 P.M.

Across town, Alsoomse and Abigail head off in the direction of the Temple to the Egyptian Pantheon. The building turns out to be surprisingly simple in design, consisting of stone blocks three-feet-square with an open oak door in the front. A young Egyptian woman stands by the doorway.

Deciding it wasn't quite the thing to pull out Alsoomse's vial and drink, Abby fell back on her own knowledge. Abigail made a respectful bow to the young woman, then spoke in Egyptian. "Would we be disturbing anyone if we go inside to pay our respects?" She waited a few moments and getting no response looked at Alsoomse, shrugged, and went on inside.

The woman replies, "You would not be disturbing anyone, the Priest and Priestess have gone out into the desert to pray to Bast at a sacred shrine. Please, come in." She leads them into the building, which has candles on sconces throughout the temple and dozens of cats wandering about. "They must be concerned about the future of the shrine here, I hope the desert shrine is well hidden," Abby said. "So many cats here, I feel at home."

The woman replies, "Cats and those who are comfortable with cats are always welcome here. You speak our language well, but from your accent I am assuming it is not your primary tongue. Where do you hail from?" Abby says, "I've lived many places. All over Europe, here in Egypt with my aunt who married an Egyptian man, across the ocean in the Americas. For now my family is in the southern United States, in the large port city of New Orleans. That is probably the accent you hear, it's a hard one to avoid picking up."

She smiles and says, "That is a far way. My name is Sabah. I was a junior priestess here, basically an acolyte, but in the absence of the senior priest I am actually in charge." While she is speaking a pair of cats rub their heads against Abigail's legs. Sabah says, "Now, how can I be of assistance to you?"

"My name is Abby, Sabah, I'm so pleased to meet you," she answered, then reached down to lightly rub the friendly cats behind their ears. "My companion and I arrived very recently and with the rumors, more than rumors I suppose, of trouble here we aren't sure if we should stay. What really is happening here? We saw the Princess coming in, and you'd not think she was coming to stay with an army on the way."

Sabah replies, "That is Princess Neferka. There are three schools of thought as to why she is here. One is that she and the Egyptian rebel General Ahmed Urabi are secretly lovers and she has come to join his cause in opposition to her family. Another is that she is here in advance of both armies in order to strip the town of all treasure and safely return it to the royal vaults in Cairo. The third is that she is here as a representative of the Royal family to negotiate a truce with Urabi."

Abby asks, "And what's your own opinion about that? What kind of woman is she?" The Priestess replies, "I have far more than just an opinion, I am an Oracle and have asked my Goddess. She has told me which school of thought is correct, just as she had also given me a vision of you and your companion. She said that we share the same goal, that you are here to protect Bast's temples from destruction." Abby's eyes widened and she glanced at Alsoomse. "Your Goddess sees truly. I have dedicated my life to preserving the past and preserving what should not be allowed to pass away. The temples of Bast should not be lost to war and violence."

Sabah replies, "And I will do whatever I can to assist you in this endeavor. You asked what kind of woman the Princess is, well she is both pragmatic and an opportunist. She is here for a combination of all three rumors. She plans to empty the city of its wealth in advance of the two armies in the event that negotiations do not work. She then plans to negotiate with her former lover, who leads the Egyptian Rebels. But if negotiations fail she will have also positioned herself to be on the winning side of this conflict regardless of its outcome."

Abby says, "Pragmatic indeed. I don't like it, someone who can come out well no matter what happens is unpredictable. And we don't have an army to protect the temples." She replies, "We have the Goddess Bast on our side, I take comfort in that." Abby nodded, then looked a bit embarrassed as she turned to Alsoomse and said in English, "You speak so many languages it never occurred to me you might not speak Egyptian. Do you need me to translate?"

Alsoomse replies, "No need, I am not a fluent speaker of it but know enough of the language to pick up most of the conversation. Let her know where we are staying in the event that she discovers anything else of use or later needs to see us." Turning back to Sabah she did as Alsoomse asked, then added, "I don't suppose your Goddess had any hints on how to protect the temples? We do have some companions, but an army we are not. We'll have to use cleverness." Sabah replies, "Then we will work together towards that task."

Abby replies, "Give me a chance to talk to my companions and find out what they've learned. Once we have a clearer picture of what's going on here we might be able to make some kind of plan to protect the temples. Thank you for your help, Sabah. Not many are so friendly to foreigners." Abby and Alsoomse left Sabah at the temple and headed back toward the hotel.

After a nice leisurely nap Ruby awakens and begins to dress for the evening's dinner. She chooses a fancy gown, assuming dinner in a place like this will call for it. "So, I don't think we have any plan but to meet up with the Frenchmen. I can speak some French, Kate taught me, but I don't know if I'll be able to understand all, so I may need the elixir. George should be okay with speaking French since he speaks almost every language imaginable. Nana, you said you think they will recognize you. Is there anything we should or shouldn't say?"

Mina replies, "I've only met a few of them and we are actually not sure which wizards of that group will be there. But one of them will be Jean-Francois Champollion and he will definitely recognize me despite the passage of a half-century." Ruby says, "I'm sure he will, for you are truly unforgettable my darling grandmother. I guess we should just take it as it comes then. I'm ready when you are!"

Mina is dressed again in the plum colored dress with gold embroidery that she wore the previous week to the ball in Jacksonville. She takes George by one arm, Ruby taking the other, and they exit the suite. Waiting outside the door are both of the servant girls who fall into line behind the women.

They approach the formal dining room, which has a combination of full height table with wooden chairs on the right side of the room, with the lower tables and pillows on the left. Ali greets them at the door and leads them to the right heading towards a long wooden table with twelve chairs, of which four are vacant.

Seated at the table is the Princess who arrived simultaneously to the party beside an older Egyptian man in traditional robes. Seated on her other side is an Ogre wearing a brightly colored robe adorned with vast amounts of gold jewelry and gems and a red felt hat also trimmed with gold and gems. The other six chairs have men dressed in the finest formalwear. Three of these men are older, two appear to be middle-aged and the other is young.

Ruby heads towards a seat where the Princess is. "Good evening all. Is this seat taken?" she ask. The men all rise as Ruby and her companions move over. Ali pulls back the chair and says, "For you dearest woman." Ruby sits gracefully in the offered seat. One of the older men looks directly across the table at Mina and exclaims, "Mrs. Willamina Hamilton Parker, it is wonderful to see you again." He then gestures towards Ruby and says, "And based upon the resemblance I assume that this is your daughter Alma West Burnham?"

"No, rather it is her daughter, Miss Constance Grace West, my fiancée Monsieur Champollion." replies George seating Mina as Ali seats Ruby. One of the other older men speaks up, a heavy-set man with curly grey hair and a small obviously-dyed darker mustache. He says excitedly "Constance West is your fiancée! Then you must be George Eastman! I am honored to make your acquaintance. My name is Louis Jacques Daguerre and I believe we have much in common." George immediately recognizes the name of the man who invented the first permanent photograph sixty years earlier.

George bows "It is I who am honored Monsieur Daguerre. Indeed I am George Eastman, and I do believe that we have much in common. Now that you know the composition of my party, I believe introductions of your side of the table are in order?" Daguerre replies, "I wholeheartedly agree." He gestures first to the two older men and says, "Your party apparently knows Mr. Jean-Francois Champollion, the historian and founder of modern Egyptology. And beside him is my good friend Michel Eugene Chevreul, a noted chemist and biologist."

He next gestures to the youngest man and says, "And this is Jules-Henri Poincare, a mathematician and cartographer, whose maps should be most useful in the current situation." Pointing to the middle-aged men he states "I am pleased to introduce to you a marvelous inventor, Mr. Henri Giffard, who invented the dirigible that you see in the sky above this building. Lastly, we have Mr. Frederic Passy, whose special talents will soon be instrumental."

Ruby says, "What exactly is a dirigible, if I may ask? It looks like a giant balloon but what does it do?" George says, "Well met all of you. Tell me Monsieur Giffard, how does your dirigible improve upon that of the LaFrance, a most gifted airship.” Giffard says, "Unlike most balloons, this one has a motor and solid shape, which allows you to travel much faster while being able to also control the direction of travel. I had worked out the design with a German engineer named Von Zeppelin. We recently had a falling out and went our separate ways, with him now developing similar vehicles for the United States military. The one above is the largest prototype built to date by either of us."

George nods then continues, “And Monsieur Passy, I don't believe I have had the pleasure of reading of your talents and accomplishments. Tell me what has brought you to Egypt in such esteemed company?” He replies, "Indeed, most of my writings have not been translated into English. I am an economist and have written extensively about free trade. But my true passion is diplomacy, specifically as an intermediary in disputes between nations. This site is soon to be the meeting point of two armies and if successful I hope to prevent any violence from occurring."

George states, "That would be a feat, though I am not sure what resolution you can reach here and not between London and Paris. I offer you my most heartfelt wishes for success, and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to ask." Passy replies, "Thank you Mr. Eastman. Negotiation is a mix between offering a 'carrot' and a 'stick'. We have many different bunches of carrots with us, which should, at a minimum, delay one or both of the armies from attacking. And if the carrots fail, there is always the stick." As he says this he gestures to the large and ornately dressed Ogre sitting at the table.

Champollion states "Yes, may I introduce you to Prince Ottombi of Nubia." The large man stands and speaks in a rich baritone voice "The Kingdom of Nubia is a rich land that was conquered by the Egyptians back in the days of the Pharaohs. Our mines are where the Egyptian gold originates. I technically only rule the land south of Egypt, also known as Ethiopia and Sudan, but my influence extends into the Egyptian lands populated by the Nubian people. Between both places I have over ten thousand warriors at my disposal. An alliance with me would therefore be beneficial to either party in this conflict and one for the other party to greatly fear."

"My, we are certainly in prestigious company this evening," Ruby rises and curtsies, nodding her head in respect towards the Ogre. "Pleasure to meet you Your Highness. If I may be so bold, what is your part in the coming activities?" He replies, "I have sworn to protect Princess Neferka." The Princess interjects "Yes, I plan to meet personally with the rebel leader. Of all members of the Royal Family, I feel that I would have the most success at negotiating a peaceful settlement. However, without some form of protection there would be the risk of my being either killed or taken hostage."

Ruby states, "Of course Your Highness, makes much sense. You should not risk your life without some sort of protection. This may seem a bit forward but... is there anything we can do to help?" She replies, "Perhaps you can. Do you plan to still be in Zakazik when the rebel army arrives a few days from now?" Ruby looks to George and Nana. "We can be around if needed," she smiles knowingly.

Princess Nefelra replies, "Excellent, it should be a lively week. Have either of you ever been participants in a war before?" Ruby laughs. "Not a real war, though I did have what I consider to be a war with the Cowboy Gang back in the Wild West in America. Have any of you ever been involved in a war before?" The Ogre Prince replies, "Yes, many time." Princess Neferka says, "I was briefly in Alexandria last summer when the British warships began to bombard the city."

"Oh my, that must have been scary." Ruby pauses and sips her wine for a moment. "So, do you have something in mind for us, to help?" Dagurerre responds to that saying "If she doesn't I do. I believe that Mrs. Parker is acquainted with Colonel Woolsley, the British Commander." Mina replies, "We have met before in East Asia, but that was a long time ago."

Daguerre replies, "True, but based upon what your husband previously told my friend Paul Verne, the British Military owes you a big favor." Mina glances towards George and Ruby stating "Yes, that is true. A long story, the short version is that we got caught up in the Opium War between Britain and China. A United States ship was evacuating all Americans. James and I were then able to persuade the American Naval commander to intervene on behalf of the British, who up until then had never been an Ally. That was when the phrase 'Blood is thicker than water' was first stated."

"There is a large difference between owing a favor to someone and disobeying orders or assuming diplomatic negotiations without proper authority. Why are you so sure it would work." asks George. Mina replies, "I'm not, but you of all people should know how persuasive the women in our family can be." Ruby snickers at Mina's comment. "So, you want Nana to speak to this Colonel Woolsley and ask for what, exactly?" Champollion replies, "Not destroying the ruins primarily."

A formal dinner follows comprised of roast lamb, a seasoned rice dish and some candied figs and dates. Following the meal, George, Mina and Ruby make their way back to their rooms in this inn and take a short nap. Under the cover of darkness they then make their way out the window and down a rope ladder to the alley. They then head across town to the other inn to meet up with the others. By the time they reach the inn both of the other teams have returned.

Ruby exclaims, "So now that we're all together let's go over what we have found. For our part, we've been asked to approach the British government and ask them not to ruin the ruins. I guess they owe Nana a favor. Anyone else find anything?" The group each listen while the others describe what they discovered.

When Mina hears about the cards she states that she knows what that is about, that since there are 52 weekly wizards, one for each week of the year, they conveniently use Playing Cards as a member designation code. Each suite of cards represents a different scholarly discipline, Hearts for Painters and Sculptors, Diamonds for Performers and Politicians, Clubs for Scientists and Mathematicians, and Spades for Inventors and Explorers. Ranking within each suite is based upon the person's seniority and importance, Ace, King, Queen, all the way down to Two.

Ruby comments, "So the cards are explaining... what? Where their army of wizards are positioned around here? What does it mean?" Abby states, "Probably. It does makes sense. Not obvious to anyone who doesn't know the code. That many wizards are going to be hard to deal with. We're going to have to out-think them. We at least have one ally at Bast's temple. Sabah said she had a vision of Alsoomse and I from the goddess herself, but I'm not sure how much we want to count on a deity's help."

"Oh, I've found they can be quite helpful," Ruby grins, gazing over at George. "At least Aphrodite is, for me. What did Sabah say her vision was?" Abby replies, "Just that she saw Alsoomse and I coming to the temple, and that we would be there to help protect it and Bast’s other temples in the area. She wasn't wrong." Lawrence taps his chin. "That means that the rest of us aren't there. We'll have to pick a town where a group of wizards are. The closest place is as good as any."

Alsoomse says, "Perhaps, but I'm thinking of taking a side trip to Heliopolis to see what that group is doing. It's a community north of Cairo that has always had major religious significance for the Egyptians, where their main priest college is situated." Hardin says, "Not alone you're not." Alsoomse replies, "Fine, you can come with me. We'll head out on the train in the morning."

Mina points out "What is unprecedented is that four-dozen of those French wizards are here in Egypt! According to James they have always congregated in and around Paris, not Cairo."

Abby states, "Which means that whatever they're here for, it's going to be hard to get in their way if it comes to it." Mina replies, "Perhaps. But whatever they are doing appears to be elaborate, with eight teams of six acting simultaneously. One problem with elaborate plans is that they become easy to unravel, especially if they are taking place in a war zone." Lawrence nods. "All it takes is one broken spoke to stop a wagon. The trick will be to figure out which group will be easiest to sabotage."

Fish retrieves the fetish from his pants leg and sets it in front of Mina. "I liberated that from the Frenchman's suite!" He grins. Mina, George and Ruby head back to the fancier hotel while the other five remain at the initial lodgings. An uneventful night follows.

Last edited:

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 53 "Old Boyfriends ” (Episode Two, Chapter Thirteen - Friday, September 8, 1882, 5:45 A.M.

Shortly before dawn, John and Alsoomse depart for the train depot to take the first train to Cairo. The station is rather crowded as a number of the city's people are seeking to depart the city in advance of the approaching armies.

George is awakened by the sound of people shouting. He heads to the window and notices people in the street pointing upward and then a great shadow passes by. Looking up, he sees the French balloon is departing to the east.

George, Ruby and Mina enjoy a leisurely breakfast at the hotel, where they notice the Frenchmen Champollion and Passey still in the company of the Egyptian Princess and Ogre Prince. They overhear that the four of them will be touring Champollion's dig site that morning. Further inquiries reveal that the Frenchmen Daguere, Giffard and Poincare all departed on the balloon and are not expected back until evening. The remaining Frenchman, the alchemist Chevreal, remains upstairs in their suite. Mina heads over to the other hotel to pass this information onto the other three party members.

"Excuse me," Ruby says politely, "Mind my rudeness but did I hear you all say you are going to see some sights today? My fiancé and I would just loooveeee to tag along, if that is alright with you." Champollion replies, "Why certainly Miss West, I showed them to your Grandmother once before. We will set off in about an hour, you had best dress for the out-of-doors." Ruby replies, "I will certainly do that. Anything else I need to know or should be prepared for?" Champollion replies, "Not at all, I am delighted to have the company of another beautiful woman."

An hour later a convoy of four carriages arrive out front. One is the fancy one that the Princess arrived in the city the previous day. Another clearly belongs to the Ogre Prince, as it is twice the size of a regular carriage and pulled by a team of six elephants. The remaining two are a heavily-loaded wagon of archeological supplies and a covered carriage not unlike a Concord Coach, but with French designs and pulled by a team what look to be white Arabian horses except that each has a small four-inch long horn on the center of its Forehead.

The Prince and Princess, with a pair of personal servants, each head in the direction of their own conveyances. The French diplomat joins the Ogre Prince while Champollian heads towards the Coach beckoning for Ruby and George to join him. The Princess exclaims, "Oh, you men ride it that, I want Ruby with me, I haven't had a chance for 'girl talk' in ages."

Ruby gives a slight curtsy, "Of course your Highness, whatever you wish." She gives George a kiss on the cheek then waits until the Princess gets in her carriage until she follows behind her. "I do like girl talk, I am sure that even with our different backgrounds we still have some things in common. Men, for example. They always give us things to gossip about," she laughs.

"And you can help me plan my wedding" the Princess states. "Wedding! How exciting! Who is the lucky man?" Ruby smiles. She replies, "An old friend, he just doesn't know yet. The Frenchmen are trying to arrange a marriage between myself and General Ahmed Urabi, the leader of the Egyptian Rebels. Those French are such romantics."

The smile fades a bit from Ruby's face. "And are you... happy... about this plan Princess? I mean, marrying for anything but love..." She replies "But I do love him, or rather, I did. But Father would never approve of my marrying one of his soldiers. His plan is to marry me and my sisters to either Princes of adjacent kingdoms or as to the sons of wealthy sheiks." Ruby asks, "What do you mean you did love him? I'm not entirely sure what you are trying to tell me." She replies, "I haven't seen him in two years. What if his feelings towards me have changed. Back then he was a loyal follower of my father. For the past year he has led a revolution against my father. How can he be the same man?"

"Ohhhhh, I see." Ruby is quiet but her hand finds its way to the Princesses arm, where she gives her a reassuring squeeze. "He may be a different man, this is true. But even if he is, that doesn't mean you are not still the woman in his heart. Love is hard to kill, Princess, if it is true. But... will you be able to live with this union knowing you are between the two men in your life?" The Princess replies, "If it will bring peace to Egypt I will be very much able to live with this decision. And please, call me Neferka, Princess is far too formal."

Ruby smiles, "Very well, Neferka. So I suppose the first thing we should do is try to find and reunite you with your future husband, no?" She replies, "The Frenchmen are attempting to do that today. When their balloon returns to Zakazik tonight General Orabi should be on it." Ruby asks, "And the Frenchmen want this union... why? Because they think it will stop the fighting?"

She replies, "That is what they say. And it will be financially advantageous for them, as they will be holding my dowry for the immediate future. The dowry must be given to my intended to make the marriage contract valid, but I refuse to give him my father's money for him to then use it to finance a war against my father. So the Frenchmen will be acting as trustees for the money, holding it for Ahmed until a firm peace is established. In the meanwhile they will be able to invest the funds and also earn a trustees fee."

"I see. You must have a very nice dowry," Ruby smiles. "Okay, so we're planning a wedding. Should we wait until tomorrow when we see the General? The Princess says, "Of course not, one can never do too much wedding planning." As they are heading out she opens up a drawer beneath her coach seat, and a padded drawer slides out. Inside the drawer are silver goblets with intricate designs and four bottles. The Princess takes a goblet and bottle of amber-colored liquid and says "Would you care for a beverage? I can offer you water, wine, cognac or Scotch whiskey."

"Amazing! I could get used to this. Sure, I'll take a... whatever you're having, actually." Ruby's face brightens. "So what were you thinking for your wedding? Where would you like to have it? Is this going to be a big affair, or, in the face of all that is going on, something smaller? Have you given thought to who you will invite? I mean, obviously your future husband will be there but what about your father?"

She replies, "There isn't time for anything fancy. My family is under siege in Cairo and I am here, and Father would never approve of this match. If there is to be a wedding, and a subsequent peace, it would have to take place within the next few days. The location would therefore have to be the King's Suite at the Zakazik Grand Hotel, which is where I am currently residing." Ruby states, "I am quite happy to help you in whatever way I can, though I admit, I am unsure why you want me to help. I'm not even very good at planning my own wedding!"

Neferka says, "We will need to decorate and I'll need a dress. You will too if you're in the wedding. Money really isn't an object, although we will only be able to shop in Zakazik. And when will you be getting married? We can plan that too." "Me? In your wedding?" Ruby says with surprise in her voice. "I'm sure we can find something perfect for you and your big day. As for me, I wasn't planning to get married for another few months, December or January even. I've been somewhat dragging my feet I suppose." Neferka states, "Well, there's nothing like a wedding to put you in the mood for one."

Ruby cocked a grin. "I suppose my fiancé would be happy to hurry things along. We shall see...," She let her mind drift for just a moment, to an exotic wedding in a far off land.
"Ahem, well, so tomorrow we shall see your intended and from there start the serious planning?" Ruby pauses. "When we return to the city we can look into the shops and things. The current situation does put a certain damper on the festivities."

The Princess replies, "Yes and no, if we were in Cairo my parents would be making all the decisions. Since I am by myself here I can do things the way I want." Ruby asks, "So tell me, what exactly do you want? How do you envision this, YOUR wedding?" Neferka says, "Music, music and more music. Lots of singers, lots of instruments...and colors, bright colors all around. Colorful clothes, colorful wall decorations.....and food, lots of great food. Roast lamb, marinated chicken, goat stew....and sweets, candied fruits, candied nuts, and chocolate! Have you ever had chocolate?"

Ruby can't hide her grin. "Why yes, I have had chocolate. It's simply divine, isn't it? It's one of my favorite things in the world! Sounds like a fun event and when we get back from our expedition today we can work on making all this happen for you. It sounds truly wonderful." Ruby reaches over and squeezes the Princess's arm. "How exciting this all is! And you must be nervous for tomorrow, to see your intended." She replies, "Very...as I said before, I fear that he will have changed.” Ruby says, "We can only wait and see. However, in our short time together, I can tell you are an amazing woman and any man would be crazy to not see that!"

While this conversation has been going on the procession of wagons has made its way out of the city and covered most of the two miles distance to the dig site. They approach from the northwest towards the makeshift camp that Ruby and her associates had infiltrated a day-and-a-half earlier.

Meanwhile, once the carriages with Ruby and George had departed, Mina left the fancy hotel, heading over to where the others were. She tells Lawrence and Fish "All but one of the Frenchmen are gone for the day. The only one left is the alchemist, and he already believes that both of you are workers at the hotel." Lawrence cracks his knuckles. "Then we'd better strike while the iron's hot. People have a way of ignoring servants. Maybe we'll get lucky again."

Lawrence and Fish arrive at the hotel. They go in through the back door again. Lawrence says to Fish, "Let's hijack the next room service delivery for the Frenchmen's room. If we show up with more towels, they'll be suspicious." "Good thinking, Lar'!" says Fish, nodding, "I must say, you look quite fetching in a fez," he adds with a smirk, whilst smoothing out the lapel of his own vest. They stroll past the kitchen and nab a tea trolley, looking the part.

Mina heads off with Abby to the Egyptian church to meet with Sabah. Before departing she gives Fish and Lawrence the key to her room at the Zakazik Grand Hotel so that they will have a place to work out of during their investigations.

Mina and Abby arrive and an acolyte of the church says, "Priestess Sabah is expecting you. Please follow me." They enter a wooden side door in the next room and descend a stone staircase to a different part of the temple than Abby had been in the day before. They approach an open door to a lit room, entering to see Sabah and a man dressed in robes standing with his back towards them, examining a map and pile of photographs atop a stone table. The acolyte shuts the door behind as she leaves.

Sabah looks up with a smile and says, "Abigail, it is good to see you again. We have much to discuss. I believe that you already know my companion." The man turns and Abby does all she can to do catch her breath. Standing before her is Callum James Stuart, son of Sir Randolph Henry Stuart and nephew of Alan Plantagenet Stuart and Lady Arabella Arthur Stuart, the current Lord and Lady of Galloway. The young Scotsman is related to the famous House of Stuart, from which five monarchs ruled Great Britain from 1567 until 1707, when the ruler ship then passed to the House of Hanover.

To say that Abigail knew him well would be an understatement. She and 'Cal' had a brief but heated love affair while both were working as archaeology graduate students at the Pitt Rivers estate in England. The romance ended after Sir Randolph Stuart got wind of the fact that his son was spending time with 'an American' after which the University that Callum was affiliated with reassigned him to work with another of England's archaeologists. When last she heard he was still with Sir William Flinders Petrie, a Professor of Egyptology and Department Chair at University College in London.

A wide grin split Abby's face. "Cal!" she exclaimed and rushed across the room to crush him in a friendly hug. She just as quickly stepped back to look at him from arm's length, keeping light hold of his forearm. "I didn't expect to see you again for years, if ever. What in seven hells are you doing here?"

The muscular Scot returns the embrace, hoisting Abby into the air and spinning her around. A long passionate kiss follows. When he eventually breaks apart he says, "Abby, it is wonderful to see you, although I do fear for your safety. As for what I am doing here, it is a long story. The short version is that Doctor Petrie and my fellow archaeologists have been taken prisoner by the French. I hope to free them before they are executed by the Egyptian rebels for being British spies."

"It's good to see you, too," she said, and paused to catch her breath. "I'm not alone here, there's no reason to worry about me. I can't imagine they'd be interested in a nameless girl from New Orleans, anyway. But what is this about the French? Why would Frenchmen turn over archeologists to the Rebel army?"

He replies excitedly "The French are working with the Rebels to defeat the British. The French uncovered evidence that a British spy was working at our archaeology dig in Tanis, passing information on the military to help with the most recent advance. They used that as justification to capture our team. I would have been caught myself if not for that spell your friend taught me, to make myself invisible." "But when you say "The French" you don't mean the entire nation backed by the government? Seems unlikely." He replies, "The Official French government is in chaos, ruled by a Committee of factions who can't agree on anything. The Frenchmen here in Egypt are a cohesive group with their own agenda. They have French Foreign Legion troops at their command but the leaders appear to be civilians."

Abby paused then turned to Sabah. "My apologies," she said, blushing. "As you knew, Cal and I are, ahem, acquainted. Priestess, Callum, let me introduce you to Mrs. Willamina Parker, a member of the group I'm working with." Mrs. Parker steps forward and says, "I am pleased to make your acquaintance. I consider any friend of Abigail is a friend of mine."
He replies, "Thank you Ma'am, but as I said to Abby, this is not a safe place to be. I would
urge the both of you to take the next train to Cairo while you are still able."

Abby replies, "That's not going to happen, Cal, so you might as well save your breath. We have our own reasons for being here, one that happens to coincide with Sabah's need to protect Bast's temples. But I do believe Mrs. Parker has met the Frenchmen you're talking about.” He replies, "No, the ones holding my friends are back in Tanis. The group here are their allies. They are searching in the ruins of three ancient cities, Tanis, Bubastis, and Abshek. Abshek is in what was Upper Egypt, 800 miles south, now the Kingdom of Nubia and where Ramses II had built his great temple"

Abby asks, “How is it you sought out the Priestess for help? And how can we help? What were you planning?" He replies, "She had helped me before with research and I wanted to warn her of the Frenchmen. But they arrived first, using that massive balloon of theirs. I was hoping that she could put me in touch with some trusted men to help facilitate a rescue of my colleagues."

Abby says, "Mrs. Parker, it sounds like it would be in our group's interests to get these people away from the Frenchmen, but of course it's not my decision to make.” Mina replies, "No, it is our decision. But kidnapping innocent archaeologists does not sound like something honorable people would do." "If it's our decision, my vote is to help Cal get his colleagues back," Abby said to Mina with a smile. Callum Stuart replies, "And I appreciate that, more than you could imagine. I thought myself now alone. I considered seeking out the British Army's General Woolsley for assistance but discovered that a French team is with them as well."

Abby asks, “Sabah, do you feel our purpose and Cal's are really one? These things can't be unconnected." She replies, "I do not know which faction best supports our purpose. My only goal is to keep the Temple of the Cat Goddess intact. I do not trust the Frenchman Champollion, he has already looted the great statue of Bast. To Sabah she said, "I haven't met him, but I don't trust him either. He sounds more like a treasure hunter. We're anxious to protect Bast's temples as well, which is why we came, of course."

Sabah replies, "A treasure hunter he is. All of the Bubastis treasures that he found were shipped off to Paris. He claimed that he was preserving them from looters. How is he any better? A thief is still a thief no matter how fancy one might dress and speak." Abby says,
"It's arrogance. He thinks so little of the people of the cultures he loots that he thinks he should save their treasures from them. After all, you weren't actually doing anything with them. So what did we interrupt? Were you concocting a plan?"

He replies, "Sabah was going to contact some of her cousins to assist me and I was seeing who I could purchase a dozen camels from." Abby states, "Please tell me you had a subtler plan than just riding up to some camp and barging in to take your friends back. Do we know where they're being held?" He says, "They are being held at a compound near the Tanis runes. I have a plan using a box of various magical Elixirs to facilitate the escape. But I need the men standing by with the camels in case something goes wrong and we have to try for a quick escape."

Abby says, "So what is the plan and how are we getting there? Or are we in time to help you plan?" Cal says, "I was planning to get there by camel. It is the only safe way, given the daily flights overhead of that balloon. Robed men on camels are accepted as just being locals so ignored. And I welcome your assistance, provided that you do not put yourself at risk." Abby states, "Whether or not I put myself at risk is my choice. Some members of our group are with the French today, and some others are investigating what they're up to. You should wait at least until tomorrow to start out, after we let you know what we find out. Today I can help you get everything you need together.” He replies, "I was planning to leave tonight once the sun begins to set. Tanis will take fourteen hours to reach by camel."

Abby says, “Mrs. Parker, I don't plan on abandoning our group, but I want to go with Cal, too. I think it's worth it to actually send some of our group along. Cal's colleagues might be learning a lot where they are." Mina replies, "I concur. Why don’t you stay here and continue to work with him. I will return to the Zakazik Grant Hotel and see if I can be of any assistance to Benjamin and Lawrence." Abby replies, "Not a problem. I'll meet you back at the hotel with enough time before sunset to decide who should go and get back here to the temple." As they said the parting courtesies Abby slipped her hand into Cal's. A few moments later Mina left for the hotel.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 54 "The Spy” (Episode Two, Chapter Fourteen - Friday, September 8, 1882, 9:30 A.M.

Abby was now alone with Cal and Sabah. She asks, "Tell me about these elixirs, Cal. How are they going to help us sneak into, then back out of, the Frenchman's camp?" He heads over to a backpack sitting against the side wall and unties the sleeping bag/bedroll fastened on the bottom. He unrolls the bag, revealing a metal box in the center, six-by-ten-inches and two inches thick. He then removes a keychain from a belt pouch and unlocks three separate locks on the box. Opening it, inside are ten metal vials with different colored rubber stoppers. Three are red, two blue, two yellow, one green, one brown and one purple. "These will do the trick," he replies.

Abby says, "Cal, this is a treasure... no wonder you have it under lock and key. Several locks and keys. But what are they?" He replies, "Magical Elixirs. I have a colleague who is an alchemist, specializing in elixirs of a transformational nature. I am sorry that they were hidden in our base came and not with me when the French attacked, otherwise we all could have escaped. Retrieving them was not easy, as the French Foreign Legion soldiers were ransacking our camp when I got them. I barely escaped.

The yellow pair is the most obvious ones to free two of my five colleagues, they are Elixirs of Insubstantiation. Essentially, they temporarily transform the human body into a gaseous state. That will free them from the prison, but will unfortunately also leave them at the mercy of the winds, another reason for my wanting the camels in order to keep up with their clouds until they reform.

The green is an Elixir of Animal Transformation. It allows the person consuming it to change into the form of any animal. Using that one is tricky, as the person adopts not only the form but the instincts and part of the animal's thought processes. For that reason I was planning to tell my colleague to transform into some from of monkey, to get through the prison bars but still be a humanoid mammal.

The blue pair is Elixirs of Human Transformation. After drinking that a person can assume the physical form of another person. Those would not get any of them out of prison bars themselves but they might be able to change and blend in with the Egyptian workers who were also taken captive. That would at least save them from execution in the short term.

The brown one is an Elixir of Arachnid Movement. It allows the person who consumes it climb like a spider. It would not get anyone through the prison bars, but I am guessing the execution site might be a walled enclosure that could be climbed away from. That would however also require a simultaneous distraction; otherwise the firing squad would simply shoot him or her down from the wall.

The purple is an Elixir of Flight, which would enable the person drinking it to glide like a bird across the skies. A full vial would allow up to three hours of flight, but this one is currently half empty, as that is what I used to get here quickly from Tanis.

Lastly are the red trio, which I quite frankly don't see how would be of any immediate use in a rescue. They are Elixirs of Breath Substitution. Drinking it allows the person to go for hours without needing air. I brought those on this journey thinking I might need them while investigating Egyptian crypts. They also quite useful in countering poison gasses."

Abby replies, "So getting your friends out shouldn't be too big a problem with these, as long as we can get in. That's going to be the challenge. One of the people I'm with could sneak into the camp easily, I suspect. We're going to have to find out where they are in the camp, get in, and get out without getting caught ourselves. That's going to be the trick." He replies, "I left an observer back there to keep an eye on the situation, a young Scottish boy who was working at our camp as an intern. He's rather clever and should be able to avoid capture until I return. He may have some ideas on getting in and out."

"In other words, we're not really going to be able to do much planning from here and we might as well discuss something else?" Abby asked with a smile. A surprised look comes over his face. "Well, as I seem to have stunned you into silence," Abby said and turned to Sabah. "Cousins of yours were mentioned? How many do you think there would be to help us?" She replies, "Three or four I will go ask them." He hands her a belt pouch that from the sound contains several coins. She gathers up her traveling cloak and departs.

One they are finally alone Callum pulls Abby over towards him for another embrace and passionate kiss. When Cal finally pulled back, Abby smiled and said, "From your hello, I guess you haven't forgotten me." He replies, "How could I forget. Your presence was the only tolerable aspect of that internship at the Pitt Rivers estate. The regimental aspects of the way Pitt Rivers made us examine everything in painstaking detail was enough to drive me crazy. And his notion of sifting every ounce of dirt, well, I have no patience for that sort of thing. But as long as you were there I had a ray of sunlight to what would have otherwise been a prison sentence for me."

She says, "You know we're always going to disagree about Pitt Rivers methods. If you want to know about the lives of everyday people then that is what you have to do. No one tried to preserve anything from the "unimportant" people, so you have to look much harder.” He replies, "Yes, I know. You're a dedicated archaeologist. I am far more concerned about the everyday lives of people today than those who lived thousands of years ago."

“Anyway, I'm sure I was glad to be of service," she said with a sour note in her voice. He laughs, "Please don't take that tone, maybe I phrased that wrong. What I meant to say was that I cherished every moment that we were together and that all of my memories of the Pitt Rivers estate pale in comparison to my memories of you."

"That phrasing was much better," she smiled. "I suppose I'm a little sensitive. Considering what we suspected about why you were reassigned... We never made any plans together, so I suppose I thought you really might have forgotten some of... well," she stammered to a stop. "There hasn't been anyone else? We thought we may not meet again, after all."

He laughs and says, "Well, my father did arrange a number of social functions for me to attend, with a variety of female escorts who met with his approval, but none held any interest for me. And for the last year I have been way too busy for romantic entanglements. I have been here in Egypt for the last half-year and the only woman archaeologist on our team is engaged to the curator of the Tanis dig site. There’s also a middle-aged spinster who is tutoring the young Scottish intern, but she has not caught my eye either."

Abby says, "After I finished my degree I went home for a while and saw my mother. Since Dad passed she gets lonely sometimes, I think. I had a lot of fun, but I didn't meet anyone I took seriously. Anyway, I was just getting ready to leave when Dr. Crane contacted me to come work with Mrs. Parker and her people. I had thought he might be interested... but I think he needed to work up his courage. He's gone now, though." Callum laughs "Ah yes, my distinguished Caribbean rival. I think it is safe to say that he was always interested. Poor guy, tall, well-educated but painfully shy. I guess his loss is my gain."

"I was a bit blinded to other possibilities at the time," Abby laughed. "Your gain, hmm? Does that mean I'm going to see you again past, say, tomorrow when we get your colleagues out?" Callum replies, "I do not see any reason why not. My planned career seems to now be at an end so my future is an open book. There is no reason why you can't be a significant part of it." "I have three questions for you then. First, will it give your family fits? Second, do you care?" she said with a laugh, "And finally, why do you think your career has ended? These accusations of being spies wouldn't do that. Is there something else I don't know about?"

He replies, "I don't care what my family thinks." He pauses and hesitates before continuing. "Abby, the answer to the other two questions are interrelated. About the accusations, I'm afraid they will hold up because they are true. British military intelligence did have an espionage agent posing as an archaeologist. They....the French have evidence of this and the spy's identity....Callum Stuart."

"Cal! What... I...," she stopped and took a deep breath. "Why? How long?" He says, "I was recruited by a British intelligence agent named Bond...Campion Bond. He heads up his own branch of the British intelligence service. He recognizes wizard magic as being useful tools rather than things to shunned and banished and seeks out those who feel the same. He found out that I had wizarding experience and convinced me to help him "For the Gods and the Country".

Bond did express doubts as to my suitability for the profession of international spy. He said I was too flamboyant and far too preoccupied with the opposite gender, that no Bond would ever act that way. He had me learning Archaeology from Pitt Rivers and then from Petrie as a cover story, to give me access to various places in the world. But that is over now, my cover is blown. And the other five REAL archaeologists will be executed because of my involvement unless I rescue them."

She says, "So the whole time we were together you were a spy? And the reason you left, it wasn't your family? It was... your job? Gods, I don't... You were too distracted by women, or me?" He says, "No, the whole time we were together I was learning about Archeology. I had been recruited for the intelligence service but needed to learn other skills before I could be sent into the field. And it was my Father who got me reassigned, because of my involvement with you. I recall his exact words 'How could you sully yourself with a Colonist?' The arrogance of that man! And you were also the woman Bond was referencing who had distracted me."

"I'm sorry, I'm just... beyond shocked." Abby stepped back to him and took his hands, as well as a couple deep breaths. "And I'm frightened for you." Abby paused, then chuckled half-heartedly. "I guess I'm alright with being a distracting colonist, even though I am half-English. I guess now we get those archeologists out and get you away from those Frenchmen. Oh Cal, how did you get yourself in such a mess?" she asked finally, then kissed him tenderly. "You never did quite fit on the digs, I just always thought it was a bit of that upper-class upbringing coming out."

He says, "I apparently got into this current mess by being careless. I don't know how the French managed to penetrate my cover, but I'm sure it was something I did wrong. Bond's right, I'm probably not cautious enough for the international spy business. But that is all now over with regardless. My main concern now is rescuing those other five."

She says, "And we're going to help you with that. Don't worry, we're going to do everything we can to get them out safely. We may have to tell Mrs. Parker about this though. The other should know that French are looking for you, specifically. This group of Frenchmen happens to be an elite group of wizards, one the Mrs. Parker has come up against before. There's little doubt they used magic to discover you in some way. Likely they were looking into anyone British in the area."

He replies, "Yes, the 'Weekly Wizards' group. I was briefed about them. There appear to be at least two-dozen of them operating in Egypt right now. That is highly unusual, they normally stick close to Paris and seldom leave France other than in groups of no more four. Abby says, "That's one of the reasons we're here, to find out what they're up to. Mrs. Parker's granddaughter and her fiancé are working on that right now."

Abby slid closer to Cal and pulled his arm around her. "Sabah will be back soon, and then we'll have to get ready for our trip. We should take advantage of what time we have." Not needing to be told twice, he locks his arms around her waist and their mouths touch. "We were always good at this," she managed to breathe after a few minutes. "There have been days when I really hated your father." He says, "Every day of my life fits that category, but right now I'd rather focus on you than him. And I estimate that Sabah will be gone for at least a half-hour, possibly longer."

"Are you suggesting what I think you're suggesting?" she asked even as his hands answered the question. "We don't have a whole lot of privacy here." "Life is all about risks," he replies. A wide grin split Abby's face. "I did say I was willing to put myself at risk didn't I?" she teased, then proceeded to do just that.

Meanwhile, Fish and Lawrence keep the room staked out for about 90-minutes until they see a hotel worker arriving. He is pushing a cart that has on it's tablecloth a tea-service, tea pot, plate of pastries and three folded-up newspapers.

Before rolling the tea service into the alchemist's suite, Fish advises Cantrell, "Let's pour from opposite sides of the cart; that should give us a view of the entire room. We can make a visual inventory of everything we see, without actually looking as though we're casing the joint (which we are!). Take note if anything might be hidden beneath a cloth or behind a curtain." The two men swallow another dose of the 'potion of comprehension' and step into the outer room of the suite. "Use your sense of smell too!" whispers Fish, tapping his nose. "This guy likes his 'cocktails'!"

They make their way into the room with the cart. Fish and Lawrence notice the newspapers, one is today's Cairo paper and is in Arabic, the other two are the prior day's papers, the Paris Express and the London Times. "Who is it" a voice yells out from one of the side rooms, which they saw the previous day was the laboratory.

Fish approaches the room from which they heard the call, but remains outside. He peers inside, taking a quick but deliberate look at what he can see there. He then lowers his gaze and responds, "Hot tea, sahib. And baklava." Fish sees the man is actively working on two different concoctions, both boiling away. One a deep green and the other a thick creamy-yellow mixture." The alchemist comments in French to himself (and clearly assumes they do not understand him), "A watched pot never boils, ah well, hot tea would certainly help to keep me awake. Seven is far too early to get up in the morning."

Lawrence says, "We'll pour the tea for you, yes? And we have the latest papers here, sahib." He ruffles them to draw the alchemist's attention as he and Fish scan the rooms. "You are working on an important project, yes?" "Oui, yes, very important. I am trying to help save your city from destruction by the British." He picks up a plate of pastries and his cup of tea, and says, "Leave the cart, I may want more later." He then returns to the laboratory and shutting the door behind him, essentially leaving Fish and Lawrence with access to the remainder of the suite. A few minutes pass and they realize the Frenchman is not immediately returning.

"Lawrence!" Fish whispers, "roll the cart in front of the lab door. We need to search this place. We need to do it quickly and we need to do it quietly." He glances about, scoping out whatever looks like the two most promising places for them to begin. He nods toward the spot nearest the lab door, and then scrambles toward the other.

A locked chest is found and opened, finding that is it filled with wine and cognac of vintages 20 to 60 years in age. In another room a dagger is found that is very lightweight and appears to give off a slight golden glow. Fish is sorely tempted to...yoink!...but as he knows that he might need to reconnoiter the suite again under guise as a hotel servant, he decides against the theft. Surely they'd miss that pretty pointy-pointy!

Back in the room with the map of Egypt they see that some of the piles of cards have been moved since the day before, the group of six that was on Alexandria now being approximately 200 miles further south in Memphis. Two other piles of cards, one east of Zakazik and another west of Zakazik have each moved approximately 25 miles closer to the city since yesterday. Next to each of these two piles is a piece of paper with markings of the same six cards followed by words written in French. Fish jots down the pips & suits of each card, noting where on the map they've been placed. He intends to pass this intel to Lady Wilamina.

Fish whispers to Lawrence to join him at the map. The older man drops what he's doing and slips over. He looks over the notes and slowly translates in his head. "OK. I have it. Let's give the rest of the place a once-over and we can go." One list reads:

General Woolsley
K-Spades: Guizot - Diplomatic Leader
9-Diamonds: Dumas - Chronicler
7-Hearts: Cezanne - Cartographer
6-Hearts: Manet - Diplomat
3-Clubs: Chamberlain - Physician
3-Spades: Lupin - Surveillance

The other reads:

General Orabi
A-Spades: Gouraud - Diplomatic Leader
K-Hearts: Meissonier - Surveillance
9-Clubs: Pasteur - Physician
7-Diamonds: Taine - Diplomat
4-Spades: Savorgnan de Brazza - Cartographer
2-Diamonds: Verne - Chronicler

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 55 "Dinner with the General” (Episode Two, Chapter Fifteen - Friday, September 8, 1882, 10:00 A.M.

As they pull up to the area Ruby had already scoped out a surprised look crosses her face. "Will you look at this, how exciting! This certainly isn't like the desert back home." She hops out of the carriage and helps the Princess down herself. "I hope I won't make a fool of myself, I'm not very good with my history to know exactly what has been going on here."

For the next few hours Champollion leads the group room-by-room through the ruins, explaining in detail every object that they found and what each chamber and item was used for by the Egyptian priests of old. He makes many comments to justify his having shipped all of the objects found back to museums in France during the last half-century.

George pays close attention and takes page after page of notes in his notebooks. By noontime Ruby is bored stiff. Both Ruby and George become slightly nervous when he now leads them in the vicinity of the secret door to the other part of the chamber that they had recently discovered.

“There sure are a lot of rooms in this place," Ruby comments dully. "I don't want to be a party pooper but the Princess and I have some business back in the city when we are done." Ruby pauses. "Are we almost done?" she asks hopefully. Champollion says, "The tour? I guess so. Our lunch should be ready by now."

He leads them back to the entrance chamber. Much to Ruby's surprise there are several tables with fine linen tablecloths, silverware, crystal goblets, wine buckets with chilled wine, and silver coverings atop the plates. Ruby exclaims, "Isn't this fancy! Just how did you arrange all this?"

The Frenchman diplomat Passy gestures to a quartet of servants standing in the corner and says, "They were told to have it prepared promptly at noon." Passy and Champolion both sit with the Ogre Prince and his half-ogre advisor while the Princess insists that George and Ruby join her at the other table. The platters are lifted up to reveal a meal of lightly-roasted medallions of veal prepared in a wine sauce over a thin bed of cheesy-rice.

Back at the temple, it is closer to two hours when Sabah returns, by which time Callum and Abigail have completed their private time together. She informs them that at sunset three of her cousins will meet Callum near the east gate with a dozen camels and supplies.

Abby states, "Thank you, Sabah. You've been a greater friend than I could have imagined, all in the course of one day. Now that we're as settled as we can be with Cal's business, what about ours? Champollion is camped out at one of Bast's temples, and there look to be battles happening nearby. I'm wondering if we need to work toward preventing the fighting altogether."

Sabah says, "Bast would have brought both you and Mr. Stuart here, so these events must be interrelated. Helping him should therefore help accomplish all of the goals. His goal appears to be the most time sensitive, so that is where we will begin." Abby replies, “I won't argue with you. My experience with gods and goddesses is... remote, I suppose. Do you have any more need for us here? We, or at least I, should go meet Mrs. Parker and see who she might want to send along with us." She replies, "We are done here. I will meet you at the South gate at sunset."

By 3:00 PM all three groups have managed to finish up their morning and early afternoon activities and reconvene at the first hotel. They sit down for light refreshments and beverages and exchange information that they had obtained. After listening to everything Mina comments, "Well, we now know a lot more than we did when we woke up this morning. What do you think our next step or steps should be?"

"I suppose that depends with whom we decide to lend our aid," say Fish, reaching for his third fig. He leans back, "I imagine that whatever we decide to do, it'll be a mite more challenging that stealing that fez was!" He grins mischievously, "I'll have you know, Lawrence looks quite fetching dressed as a bellhop!"

Mina suggests that one of the men accompany Abby on her rescue mission. Abby looked over at Mrs. Parker and nodded her thanks. "I think this helps us as much as Cal. Who knows what his colleagues have learned there. Things seem to be falling together too neatly to ignore." Mina says, "Agreed, so two or three of us should assist your friend Cal while another two or three of us should continue to interact with the Frenchmen and Egyptian Princess." Abby adds, “With the side benefit of keeping them distracted. A pragmatic woman, that Princess.

Ruby interjects, "I can spend time with the Princess, helping her plan her wedding. But what of the Frenchmen?" Mina says, "I can help with the Frenchmen, I already know some of them. You might also need my skills to help identify what it is that they are cooking up." “So, who wants to do on a daring rescue?" Abby asked with a laugh.

Fish looks from one woman to the next to the next. He smirks. "Tell me where you want me!" He then opens his palm, revealing a thick curtain tassel embroidered with gold thread. He shrugs, "You didn't really expect me to leave the froggy's suite completely empty-handed, did you?"

Mina smiles and says, "I would suspect you were an imposter if you had. Okay, George and Ruby will take Princess duty, Abby will rescue the archaeologists and I will deal with the Frenchmen." Pointing to both Fish and Lawrence she says, "One of you should stick with me, the other should accompany Abby, decide quickly who takes which assignment." Fish shoots up his hand a little too quickly, "I'm with Miss Marsters!" Catching himself, he adds rather sheepishly, "Besides, Lawrence speaks French." As they left to pack up, Abby said to Fish, "Thanks for coming with me. I don't know any of our group very well yet, but I did know that if anyone has the skills for this mission, it's you."

The teams decided upon, Fish and Abigail pack for a multi-day expedition. The other four return to the Zakazik Grand Hotel where Lawrence makes his way in through the servant's entrance and the other three head through the front doors and back to their rooms.

Lawrence soon finds his way to Mina's door and she lets him in to plan their next step. Lawrence slips into Mina's room. He removes his headscarf. "Hello, Miss Mina. OK, we know where the Frenchies are and just as important, who they are. If they're planning some sort of ritual, we need to put a stop to that."

Mina retrieves a small wooden box, from which she removes several ceramic vials with rubber stoppers. She tells Lawrence "I'll need you to continue with your hotel servant routine. I notice that the other five Frenchmen have not returned as of yet. Why don't I try to get their elderly chemist to take me to dinner and you can see about obtaining samples of whatever it is he is working on."

Lawrence nods and replies, "I can do that. So far no one suspects me. I told Fish servants are ignored most of the time." He takes the vials from Mina. "Anything special I should look out for? Or just get what ever looks interesting?" She replies, "He's a chemist, so any type of chemical compound or elixir would be the main target."

An hour later she is attired in a fancy dress with considerable jewelry. Lawrence waits discretely behind the next corridor. She knocks on the door and after what seems like forever to Lawrence it eventually opens. She suggests to the man that they go to supper together. He declines but he is persistent, using her feminine wiles and powers of persuasion. He eventually relents, telling her it will take a few minutes to square things away. They soon depart for the staircase down to the main dining room.

Lawrence waits for a moment to make sure they don't come back. Then he approaches the door. Lawrence jiggles the handle and is rewarded when the door opens with a creak. He slips into the lighted room and quickly goes to work. First he quietly checks each room for other people. Then he goes back to the laboratory. "If I were an important compound, where would I be?"

In short order Lawrence manages to collect samples of four different liquids and two different putties. Two of the liquids are almost at a boiling point, making the transportation of them a bit of a challenge. In looking for things to sue to carry the hot containers with Lawrence stumbles upon a short stack of four papers with what appear to be Atlantian writings.

Lawrence says to himself, "Hullo, what's this? Atlantian papers? James and Mina are going to want these." He tucks the papers into his shirt. Then he remembers the towels he and Fish had brought up to the room before. He takes one to insulate the vials containing the hot samples. He then leaves the room and makes his way back to the others.

After she returns from lunch Mina copies the Altantian script and then has Lawrence return the originals during a delivery of fresh towels. She decides it is best to get these out of the Zakazik Grand Hotel as soon as possible and she and Lawrence take them back to the other hotel where she translates the writing and begins tests on the various samples. She gives Lawrence instruction on how to continue the tests when she heads back to join the others for dinner with the Princess and General Orabi.

Ruby fixes herself up, then goes off in search of the Princess with George in tow. George is made to stay in the anteroom with the ogres guarding the Princess while Ruby is admitted inside to help her prepare for her meeting this evening with General Orabi. Ruby asks, "So tell me, what do you wish to accomplish today? We have much to do to prepare you but I want to make sure I understand what we need to get done at the very least."

She replies, "We must do everything we can in the next hour to make myself become the most beautiful and most desired person in world." "I don't think you need to do much Princess, you are already beautiful and I might add quite desirable! Have no fears, the General will have the same feelings, I'm certain. Now let me help you with your hair."

Ruby gathers some pins and begins pinning up some of the Princess's hair, letting the rest of her long locks hang free in the back. "Do we know where we will meet the General?" Ruby asks, pinning a large curl into place. "I must admit, I am curious to meet him myself."
She replies, "This hotel is preparing the formal dining room today for just us. And by us, I mean him, me, and our dozens of retainers and guests."

"Sounds romantic," Ruby says sarcastically. "I think it's important, at some point, you two spend some alone time together. So you can really talk and figure things out without everyone looking over your shoulder." Neferka replies, "Which is exactly what I want you to help with the most. The people who work for both myself and General Orabi will follow orders, not so with those Frenchmen. I may need you and your intended to occupy them so that Ahmed and I can be alone." "Ah, I see. I wonder who they will be more enthralled with," Ruby laughs. "We can definitely help you with that." Another hour passes as both women do their best to make each other beautiful.

Fish and Abby arrive at the eastern gate at sunset. Sabah is there with a dozen camels and three men. She introduces them as her cousins Ahmez, Hakar and Takeleth. Callum soon arrives and approaches Abby to be introduced to her companion.

Abby greeted Sabah's cousin and added her sincere thanks for their help. When Cal arrived she waved and waited for him to reach her. "Our group is spreading out for the night. We have the good luck to have Benjamin Trout here with us. He goes by Fish for some odd reason," she grinned. "Fish, this is Callum Stuart, son of... some right noble bastard whose name I'd rather not say again."

The young Scotsman Callum shakes Fish's hand and says, "My lineage is not of importance. What is important is that a group of innocent British archaeologists will soon perish unless we act quickly. I worry for Abigail's safety on this quest and am thankful that you have volunteered to assist us."

Fish grips the Scotsman's hand and smiles sheepishly and replies, "I can fire a gun, although I won't vouch for my aim. On the other hand, you might never see me sneak up close enough that once I'm there, aim matters much. Pleased to make your acquaintance!" He replies, "Splendid, I am hoping that stealth will be of far more importance than firearms abilities.

"While the two of you are being oh, so noble and worrying about my safety, I'll just be taking care of business," Abby said and pulled back the over-robe she was wearing and pulled her sword from it's sheath with a sharp, schling! "Really boys, I'm hardly defenseless."

Callum replies, "I never said that you were, but it is a potential war zone that we are traveling to. Artillery is rather indiscriminate once it begins to fire. The short-term separation from you was painful enough; I do not know how I would be able to handle the situation if the separation became permanent."

Abby slid the sword back into it's sheath, using the movement to hide her own face. She and Cal had never discussed any kind of future together, but obviously their time apart had gotten him thinking, and she wasn't sure what she thought about that. "Let's hope Fish can help us be stealthy enough to artillery won't be in issue. Like you said, it doesn't discriminate. We have a long trip, we should probably get a move on."

"Agreed" Callum stated. While entering the city took considerable time at the gate, departing is simple as the guards just let them pass. An hour after their departure the setting sun is gone and the starts begin to appear in the sky. Their camel caravan is led by Sabah's cousin Hakar, who appears to be very familiar with both the trails and navigating by the night skies, as they leave the main roads on several occasions, taking short cuts to speed their journey.

Back in Zakazik, as the sun is setting to the west the outline of the large motor-powered balloon become visible on its return to the city, and this hotel in particular. Ruby notes the Princess's cool demeanor has shattered, with beads of perspiration appearing on her brow as well as the biting of her lower lip. "Now, now, it will be fine," Ruby assures her. "Try to be confident, men love that." Ruby squeezes her arm and looks into her eyes. "It will work out the way it should, I truly believe that." Ruby wipes her forehead gently with a kerchief then takes the woman's hand. "Let us go be prepared to greet your beloved. He will appreciate the warm and waiting sight of you after his long days and nights."

Ruby leads them down to the lobby and looks for the entourage to lead them to the meeting spot. The princess, along with Ruby, George, Mina, the Frenchmen Passy and Chamberlain, the Ogre Prince, and around fifteen retainers and guards head down to the lobby.

A group of thirty enter the hotel. Most are wearing a uniform of some kind, which looks to be based upon that of the Greek military but with Egyptian insignia. With them are a group of eight well-dressed men, two of whom are recognized as the Frenchmen Daguerre and Giffard, who had left that morning with the balloon. Mina smiles and nods to the youngest of the new group of arrivals who returns the gesture. In the center of the group is a man wearing a brown uniform with a white collared shirt. He has a brown fez atop his head. His chin is clean shaven, with the most prominent facial feature being his handlebar mustache.

The entourage stops and the man steps forward, heading directly to the Princess. He stops before her, goes to one knee and bows his head in a downward fashion stating "Princess Neferka, I am honored to accept your invitation to dinner." She smiles and says, "Rise Ahmed, let us dine."

The group head into the dinning room where a lavishly set table has been laid out for them.
An Egyptian Priest recites a prayer in Arabic, French and English and then the group sit to dine, roast lamb on long-grained rice being the main dish. Wine glasses are continually filled as the dinner progresses. Table conversation avoids any mention of the current conflict, being centered around the current health of the Princess's parents and current conditions in Zakazik.

Ruby tries not to stare at the opposing Ogre Prince. He was quite tall and had the look of someone very serious in all matters. "Excuse me, your highness," she says addressing him. "I've heard so much about you. I was wondering if you could tell me of your homeland. I mean, where you live. I'm very interested in different areas of our wondrous world and curious to hear about different traditions and customs and even of the land itself."

The Ogre smiles and states, "Nubia is a beautiful place. The Nile River intersects the kingdom which is south of Egypt. During the last three millennia is has been a part of Egypt under some Pharaohs and an independent Kingdom under others. And although the Egyptian humans do not highlight this fact, the Pharaohs of Egypt's twenty-fifth dynasty were Nubian Ogres.

It is a fertile land, due to the Nile and its tributaries. It can also be harsh at times, with the great Sahara Desert covering much of it. We also have mountains and even jungles in some parts. It is also the oldest Ogre civilization in Africa, believed to be where our race originated in what is now the city of Meroe. Our greatest treasure is gold, with some of the finest mines in the world.

Our capital city Khartoum situated where the great Nile forks, the White Nile flowing from there to Lake Victoria and the Blue Nile flowing into the Ethiopian Kingdom. We have a population of 40,000 and my palace is one that I would welcome you as a guest at. As for our customs, we pay great homage to our deities, which humans often misunderstand. My son is a High Priest of the deities that humans call 'The Great Ogre'. He was given the vision of a prophecy, showing the fall of Khartoum by the British military some eighteen months from now, with Nubia being swallowed up into the British Empire. It is that prophecy which I seek to change through this intervention."

"It sounds absolutely lovely." Ruby paused, unsure if she should say the next words. But knowing Ruby, she said them anyway. "I understand why you would fight to keep from losing your kingdom. I understand your goal of this... intervention... but how do you think you can go about this?"

He smiles and says, "Through love rather than war. A union between the Princess and General Orabi would end the conflict. The Egyptian King may not like the union, but he would not go to war against family. The British are here upon the invitation of the Royal Family, who could just as easily ask them to leave. Otherwise I fear that Egypt will be swallowed up by Britain, who will later set their sights upon Nubia, in order to control the entire Nile River."

The remainder of the dinner party goes rather uneventfully. Ruby notices Mina spending quite a bit of time in conversation with the youngest of the Frenchmen. Towards the end of the evening when, over champagne, the Frenchman Passy negotiates the terms of the marriage between the General and the Princess. The key points to the negotiations center around her dowry, which is unfortunately under lock and key back in Cairo. It is suggested that an equivalent amount in value, roughly $425,000, be withdrawn from the Royal treasury from the Zakazik bank the next morning and held in trust by the French until a peace can be negotiated. The wedding would then take place the following evening. Once the evening festivities are completed George, Ruby and Mina make their exit and return to their rooms in the Grand Hotel.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 56 "East to Tanis” (Episode Two, Chapter Sixteen - Friday, September 8, 1882, 11:45 P.M.

Back in Mina’s room, Lawrence's manual dexterity is quite helpful in following her instructions to the letter. By the time she returns at close to midnight he has three pages of notes. They spend another hour together working on them and she consults a number of small notebooks she had packed. Mina then shocks Lawrence by dipping her fingers into the various elixirs and tasting them.

Lawrence gasps, but stops himself from grabbing Mina's arm. "Mina, what are you doing? They could be poisons. Who knows what those Frenchies are up to." "She smiles and replies, "I had a good idea what these were before I sampled them. Not poison at all, in fact, three of these four are actually the exact same elixir, just at different stages in the creation process. This is very interesting, his focus is primarily on a very advanced version of a self-transformation elixir."

Lawrence sighs and says, "I wish you had told me that first. You gave me a start. Anyway, why would he be working on that? Can you tell what you'd turn into if you drank it?" She says, "This one is a very complex potion. Some human transformation potions allow you to become anybody you wish and you just need to think of who. Others require a physical object from the person, often a lock of hair.”

She continues, “This one is much, much more complex than that, requiring a more substantial component from the individual, usually a finger or toe, although other body parts of equal size could be used. The item can't be taken from a corpse either, in fact, for the magic to work the person needs to remain alive while the other person is transformed into them." Lawrence mulls that over for a moment. "Can you tell who this potion is supposed to copy? If not we'll just have to look out for someone missing a finger."

Mina replies, "It could be anybody, the elixir is still in process. The component from the person is the final ingredient. This elixir also has a very short shelf-life, ten to twelve hours once it reaches the final boiling stage. That may be why he has multiple ones going at different stages, needing to keep a fresh batch for when it will actually be needed."

Lawrence nods and says, "So he rotates his stock. It either means they don't have someone in mind, or they're waiting for the right moment to replace him. What do you think about me going back and sabotaging the potions he has going?"

She states, "There could be consequences to doing that, including them hunting down the person responsible. It wouldn't take them long to suspect me, as I was the one who got the suite vacated during the lunch hour. At a minimum, you would no longer be able to access their rooms as they would increase security. I think that the entire team should discuss that before we take such an offensive action."

Many miles to the east, an oasis is reached at midnight where the camels are given food and water and the group is given freshly baked bread and fruit from a nearby home of Hakar's friends. As the first light of dawn begins to rise from the eastern skies the group takes a hasty detour north of the main road, as Hakar senses that there is a large group ahead, although Callum, Abby and Fish cannot see any sign of them as of yet.

A mile north they secure the camels on the northwestern edge of a small hill and climb up on foot. Hakar's intuition proves correct, looking south from the top of the hill they see a large encampment of the British Army. Abby pitched her voice low. "We may to run to them on the way back, but soldiers are not stealthy. We need to get around them unseen. Or at least, seen and ignored.

Callum looks the group over with his binoculars and says "From the direction of their vehicles I think they are moving west and we're already north of them, so we may want to just stay put here until they move on." Abby asks, "How far back will that set us? Can we afford to lose the time?" Callum says, "Can we afford not to? If the British military stops us they could delay us for hours or days. And we're not too far from our destination now, probably around ten or so miles."

Hakar interjects "Seven and three-quarters by my estimation." "We wait then," Abby said, stifling a yawn. "How long do you think it will be once we're moving again, Hakar?" Fish sits down cross-legged in the sand, pulls out a elegant hunk of olive wood that he pilfered in the city, and begin whittling a whistle, which he finishes rather quickly. He puffs a breath of air through it and it sounds like a desert bird. "Pretty slick, huh?" he asks quietly. “Quick with a knife and a whistle, eh Fish?" Abby chuckled. He rolls his tongue and waggles his fingertips. "Well-practiced and nimble!" he leers.

The British soon move on and the group heads out again. They have gone about five miles and the morning sun is now shining down. Glancing up at the hot sun, Fish wishes it were nice cold lemonade in his thermos. They see the darkened shape of the Frenchmen's balloon flying from the northeast in this direction. "We must be almost there," Abby said quietly. "What's the chance they'll see us from the air?"

Callum replies, "They probably already can. We're most likely not their targets though, I'm guess that they are scouting the British military unit that just went past. Everyone just keep your heads covered and act like we're just a group of Arabs going from point a to point b. Hakar, we non-Arabs should keep our heads down as they near but you and your relatives should feel free to wave up at them." Abby pulled her dark hood forward and made sure her tell-tale blonde locks were all tucked in and hiding beneath it. Her heart was suddenly pounding; the time was coming. "Properly submissive," she said with a little laugh and a bit of nerves.

The balloon makes a wide turn around, heading back towards the direction the British military traveled. When they are closest overhead Hakar and his relatives do wave up at the craft. It takes awhile until it has completely sailed out of sight to the west, at which point the group picks up the pace on their camels. The remaining miles go quickly. The area has many tributaries from a canal and is filled with fertile soil with crops.

They approach a hill to the southwest, which is covered with high grass. Hakar leaves his brother and cousin at the base of the hill with the camels while the others make their way to a makeshift blind covered by blankets the same color as the surrounding plants, so would blind in from the air. As they approach Callum makes a bird sound which is repeated. They move forward, seeing a well-dressed boy of six-or-seven lying atop a canvas army cot. Set up in front of him is a telescope focused down upon a camp a half-mile distant.

Callum smiles and says, "Abigail, Benjamin, Hakar, this young man is my assistant, Henry Walton Jones." "Mr. Jones," Abby said, nodding her head a bit. "What can you tell us?" In a manner far more articulate than one would expect from a child, the young Scotsman relates that the archaeologists Professor William Flinders Petrie, Giles Landford III, Gilbert Thorndike and Lady Amelia Ann Blandford Edwards as well as his personal tutor Miss. Helen Seymour have not emerged yet this morning from the stone structure surrounded by a dozen French Foreign Legion Troops.

The boy relates that he has visited the camp three times since Callum left, disguised as an Arab servant boy. During that time he has glimpsed all except for Mr. Thorndike being accompanied outside once each day by guards and questioned by the leader of the French team, Prosper Merimee, a writer and expert on ancient monuments. Merimee and the French sculptor August Rene Rodin have been spending much of their time exploring the ruins of ancient Tanis.

He says that presently they are the only two Frenchmen on site, that two days ago Merimee had a heated argument with an older Frenchman named Ampere who insisted they were wasting their time digging through rocks and wanted to return to the Suez Canal to conduct some sort of experiment. That night Ampere and three other Frenchmen, Jean Fouccault, Alexandre-Gustave Eiffel and Charles Louis Laveran, unloaded some large crates that the Legionnaires had brought in overland. From that they assembled and then inflated a large hot-air balloon, oval shaped and some 120 feet in length. They departed on that device the previous morning heading east.

Abby comments, "Less Frenchmen is good news for us, we're less likely to meet magical resistance, although there may be magical alarms or traps. Fish waggles his fingers again with a grin. "I'm reasonably nimble disabling such things!" Abby says, "Good thing, cause I'm useless with that stuff."

Abby asks, “Mr. Jones, is it always the same men who come to get the prisoners?" He replies, "Different guards, but one of the Frenchmen usually join them, questioning our archeologists about the ruins we've been working on. The French seem to be looking for something specific, although I am not sure exactly what." Abby replies, "So acting like we're the guards coming for them is out. How's the security on the edges of the camp?"

Callum reminds Abby and Benjamin about the magical elixirs that he brought. Abby says, "Before we can use the elixirs, we have to get in. We can't depend on your colleagues being able to get out without them, and unless we can whip up some poisonous gasses we don't really have much use for the others ourselves. The arachnid movement, maybe." He says, "Or possibly an Elixir of Human Transformation. One of us could impersonate another of the Frenchmen, one currently off site."

Abby says, "We'd need someone who can speak French, or at least someone who can fake it. And hope no one finds it odd that they returned. If we move fast enough, it shouldn't matter." He replies, "We are both fluent in French, so either would work. We could also make one of us invisible." She says, "You could make someone invisible, I haven't advanced that far. Well, you have to be either invisible or French. You have more familiarity with them, I think. I haven't even seem them; makes it hard to imitate one of them."

"You could make someone invisible, I haven't advanced that far. Well, you have to be either invisible or French. You have more familiarity with them, I think. I haven't even seem them; makes it hard to imitate one of them." She replies, "The leader, I think, although it probably doesn't matter much. We're going to bluff our way past anyway. Hopefully they won't even challenge you." Abby paused. "Cal, maybe I'd better use the potion. If they catch you... well, you'd be in a lot more trouble than I would."

He pauses, "Hmmm, the question then is whether you have seen any of the Frenchmen who belong to that Wizard's group. Otherwise you would have to try to be somebody else." She says, "I've seen some, but honestly it wasn't for long and I don't remember them very well." She looked at him and shrugged. "We're not very good at this."

He pauses a second and says "Hmmm, at any time in your life have you ever seen the actress Sarah Bernardt perform? Sara-Marie-Henriette Rosine Bernardt is French by birth, a member of this French wizards group and also here in Egypt, currently with a team down in Cairo." Abby replies, "I made trips to Paris while I was in England, I did see her a few times. I think I could fake that."

Fish offers helpfully, "I can sneak, and were I invisible I'd wager almost impossible to detect. On the other hand, I'm quite practiced at this servant role: I'd be happy to carry your bags and not say a word..." Abby spent a moment thinking about it. "Cal, do you think it's better if your colleagues see you, or don't see you? I'm sure by now they know who the Frenchmen were looking for."

He replies, "I had not considered that. Hmmm....if they have been told that I was a spy that might lead to some rather heated discussion." Abby states, "Alright, you be invisible then. Fish, I'll be the snotty French actress and you can be her attaché, whom she just cannot live without." Fish bows deeply, "At your service, mademoiselle!" and then adds with a grin, "I'll need to quaff another dose of Alsoomse's juju once we're close enough that my talking matters." She says, "That's a good idea. I haven't used any of mine yet, so there's still plenty to go around." Abby suddenly smiled. "How bad is it that this is kind of exciting?"

The group peruses the camp once more as they make final preparation and Callum gets out the Elixirs. Henry Jones suggests that he go on ahead in his role as Arab servant boy and make sure there aren't any unforeseen dangers ahead. Abby states, “Thanks Mr. Jones. Take care, though."

Back in Zakazik, it is now 9:00AM as Ruby, George and Min join Lawrence at the other hotel to exchange notes and plan. Mina says that she will head down in the direction of the financial depository (bank) to witness the dowry transfer. "That much money here could spell shenanigans. I'll head down there with you Mina. care to join us Ruby?" asks George.

The trio of George, Ruby and Mina make their way out of the Zakazik Hotel and follow an entourage comprised of the Princess, the Nubian Price, the Frenchman Pasay and four dozen armed guards down the street to the Royal Depository. The building is unlocked the iron doors on the large rectangular two story windowless stone building and ten guards are left outside while the others enter and lock the door behind them. More elaborate locks, sealed by magic, are unlocked by the Princess's wizard advisor.

They then enter a large interior room filled with thick wooden shelves filled with vast iron and silver urns filled to the brim with coins. Gold statures adorn the far wall. Gold ingots line heavy steel shelves along another wall. The far end of the room has several locked steel chests. Ruby's eyes go wide at the sight of the vast treasure. "This is quite amazing, your highness. You must trust us to show us what i am guessing is just a small amount of your wealth."

Neferka states, She says "This is the family's wealth here in Zakazik. The artwork is on the second floor." General Orabi arrives and is amazed at the quantity of the treasure. Passy sees the anticipation in his eyes and comments "Good General, do not get carried away, by my estimation the value of the Princess's dowry is somewhere between one-third and one-half of what you now see in this room." The Princess interjects "Yes, but I want the French to take it all for the time being. If the British overrun the city they will take whatever they find. Better that it be held by friends for the short-term."

Ruby sidles up to her grandmother and whispers, "Do you think that is wise Nana?" She knew her grandmother would know she was asking about the matter of trusting the French. Mina says, "It is not our decision to make, and the Princess's agreement to this appears to be our best chance to keep this city and its nearby ruins safe." The soldiers and guards in the room are assigned by the royals to take the treasure and carry it up the staircase to the roof.

Ruby nods at her grandmother. She moves closer to the Princess. "Is there something you would like us to do?" The Princess looks to Ruby and Mina and replies, "Yes, continue to be present and observe, as witnesses to this financial transaction. But please, do not get anywhere near the treasure. All of these men carrying the treasure will need to be strip searched when we are done to ensure that none have tried to steal any of it. I sincerely doubt that the three of you would want to undergo such an ordeal."

"I think that is the point, Ruby wants to watch" says George with a straight face that slowly slides into a grin and a wink at Ruby. George though keeps his attention on the transaction, especially the security measures. With a sly gin the Princess replies, "Well, she is certainly welcome to, I know that I am looking forward to the entertainment."

"I assume then that from the roof the dowry will be loaded onto a dirigible? And if so what safeguards are being taken up there?" asks George of the princess. "Actually, a pair of dirigibles, the second of which is heavily armed so should provide sufficient safeguards," she replies. "Hrmm, we will see. I don't think there are ever sufficient safeguards, especially with this amount of wealth. Now, once the treasure is loaded is the transaction complete or do we have to wait for delivery and full transfer." asks George

The Princess replies, "This is a multi-step process. The final transaction won't actually be complete until the General has the dowry, which won't occur until after the war between him and my father is ended, as I refuse to give the General the financial resources to prolong the conflict. The French will hold it is safe keeping until a truce is signed, and that alone will give the General great incentive to reach a speedy conclusion to the conflict, just as my being married to the General will help my father reach the same conclusion. Several other French wizards are currently visiting my parents, and will help influence them towards that conclusion once word of tonight's wedding reaches Cairo.".

George sighs. "It is a shame you must marry to ensure peace and not someone whom you love" says George with sorrow. She replies, "Somebody I love? I love my country more than I could ever love an individual. If marriage preserves my nation I will be eternally happy. And I do care deeply for Ahmed." "Ah, agape. How patriotic and noble of you. Though still you should not have to sacrifice yourself for a war." replies George.

It takes the guards a number of trips to bring all of the treasure upstairs. They follow the last of them, seeing the second floor also filled with treasure but of a different nature. Within this room are various paintings in gold and silver leaf frames and various statues of different sizes, some stone, some gold and some wood.

As they reach the roof the dirigible that they had seen previously arrives and lands atop the roof, a ramp being lowered down from the passenger compartment. The wizard Giffard exits and supervises the loading of the treasure, being sure to evenly balance the weight within the compartment. Ruby notes from the magical auras that the metal frames of both the passenger compartment and the balloon itself are lined with similar magical levitation devices as those that she had previously seen in Arizona on the Wells Fargo stagecoach wheels as well as on a magically levitated canon.

Approximately two-thirds of the treasure is loaded into the passenger compartment. The tether lines are then released and the pilots the Frenchman Giffard then takes the great airship aloft, hovering high in the air above the building.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 57 "The Performance of her Life ” (Episode Two, Chapter Seventeen - Friday, September 9, 1882, 12:00 A.M.

Meanwhile some eighty miles to the east, young Henry Jones has now been in the camp for a half hour and given the all clear signal. It is now time for Abby, Callum and Fish to attempt their rescue. Callum turns to Abby and Fish and says, "Okay, final briefing. Who gets what spell or potion before we set off.

"You're invisible, I'm the actress, and my friend Fish here is my trusted assistant," Abby grinned. "I have no idea what I'm going to say when I get up there. I hope I'm a decent liar." Callum smiles and says, "I am certain that you will do just fine Miss Bernhardt. Just do your best to make the accent sound Parisian French rather than New Orleans French. Not that most of these men will know the difference, the majority of French Foreign Legion recruits are actually from other nations."

"Let's hope they won't. It's not like I've spend much time in Paris. Fish, you ready?" She tapped her potion against Cal's. "Cheers." The liquid went down Abigail's through and for the first two minutes she felt nothing. A wave of nausea then quickly rolled over her followed by a lightheadedness usually associated with intoxication. The now invisible Callum says "Okay, think of the French actress."

"Ugh," Abby coughed, "You could have warned me." She then focused all her thoughts on the famous French actress. Abigail 'feels' her body transform. It does not hurt in any way, instead feeling like a soft caress or massage as each section of her body changes in size and her height slightly changes as well. Upon completion she is the spitting image of the famous actress. "This is just strange. Let's get going so I can get back into my own skin." She looked down at herself; the strange hands, the unfamiliar feel of her legs and feet. "I'm prettier than her, anyway," she muttered to herself.

"You are indeed," the invisible Callum replies. Speaking louder he says "Come along Benjamin, Miss Berhardt has the performance of her life ahead of her." Fish readies his elixir for ingestion as the party draws closer to their quarry. Having lived in New Orleans, Fish knows how to curse in French, to negotiate the best prices for goods that he finds 'fallen from a turnip truck', or to sweet-talk the bloomers off a pretty barmaid, but he knows even his best efforts are pidgin at best.

They make their way down the hill and to the series of tents forming the encampment. Callum whispers to Abby, "Over to the left, according to Henry that small stone and timber building near the largest canvas tent is where they are holding the two female prisoners. The males are under guard in an iron cell within that tent." "So we have to get into 2 places," Abby said just as quietly. "The men first I think. I'm just going to walk up like we own the place and not say much. An icy glare says more anyway."

They proceed in the direction of the tent. A quartet of French Foreign Legion guards intercepts them near the partially opened entrance and one says in French (with a rather thick Italian accent) "Halt, identify yourselves." Abby gave the man her iciest glare and finally said in French, "Me? You require my identity? I should think it would be obvious." At the man's blank stare she gave an exasperated sigh and said, "Sarah Bernhard. The Actress. This is my attaché. We will go in now." "My apologies," he replies and steps aside for them to enter. Fish looks up at the guard from lowered eyelids and smirks.

The total dimensions of the large canvas tent are fifty feet in width and one-hundred-twenty feet in length. As they enter they see that canvas walls block off different sections, with the front room being a guard barracks with five more guards, three sleeping in double-bunk beds and two guarding a far opening. Abby looked at Fish and gestured toward the two guards. They walked confidently forward. "I will interrogate," she said simply and sharply when they stopped in front of the guards.

The guards let them pass and they enter the next part of the tent. A ten-by-fourteen-foot metal cell with bars on all four sides and the twelve-foot-high roof. The cell is rather sparse, with a double bunk with two men sleeping in it and the other two seated atop wooden crates playing a game of chess. Both of the men playing chess are older and well dressed while the sleeping pair are younger and attired in more common work clothes.

Abby says loudly in French, "Well, they're being treated rather too well for prisoners of war." She then lowered her voice and said in English, "Gentlemen, my name is Abigail and I'm here to get you out of here." The older man's eyes light up at hearing that. Fish grins. He reaches inside his vest to finger his smoke grenade. He notes that the cell has two locks, the main lock being an obvious one and easy to pick, but there is also a second lock along the bottom that is of much better quality.

She adds, "You'll have to have an open mind though. Let go of any prejudices you may have about the methods we're going to use.” Turning her head slightly she whispers “Fish, can we get in there?" Fish grins. He reaches inside his vest to finger his smoke grenade. Before Fish can reply and man enters the tent. Callum whispers to Abigail "That's Prosper Merimee, the French leader here on site."

The man half-smiles and says in the Atlantian language known to magic-users but not to the Englishmen in the cage, "Hello dearest student. I wish that I could say that I am surprised to see you Sarah, but alas, I am not. I feared how you would take the news of your assignment, I too was upset about the details. Come along, it is time for me to give counsel to my favorite apprentice." Ben curls his toes.

Some decidedly unladylike words passed through Abby's mind even as she smiled at the intruder. "You knew I wouldn't be pushed to the side for this." She shoved the bag she was holding into Fish's hands. Ben slings it over his shoulder. She states, "I always appreciate your counsel." The Frenchman states, "Come then, we need privacy." Callum very softly whispers "Nod if I should follow you, otherwise I will stay and help Ben."

Abby desperately wanted to nod, to not go alone with this man, but they had come here to get these people out, and while Fish could handle getting them out of the cell, she wasn't sure if he could get them out of the camp without the magic that Cal understood much better than he did. "Let's go," she said simply, carefully making sure she did not nod while trying to keep her pulse under control.

Fish takes the opportunity to examine how many posts keep the tent erect and how securely they are fastened to the floor. The flooring of the tent is a thin wood. The tent posts and stakes look to be rather long in order to provide support in the softer sandy soil. The large tent has four dozen stakes holding it in, 16 on each of the side walls, 8 in the front and 8 in the back.

Fish casually sidles up to Callum and asks him in a low voice, "Can you tell whether the tent stakes happened to be ensorcelled?" Callum replies, "They do not appear to be, but there was considerable magic on the canvas tent flaps that we entered through." Fish gives a little shrug. "Do you suspect those enchantments encompass the erections here indoors?"

Callum replies, "It is more probably that they are a means to either sound an alarm, capture people going into or out of the tent, or some combination therein. I would not be surprised if we find the same on the rear flaps as well." Fish grins a tight little grin, and replies softly, "Well then, bringing this tent down should prove a cinch!"

Back in Zakazik on the roof of the treasury, another dirigible can now be seen approaching. As it nears it begins to take up the entire sky, this vehicle dwarfing the other one in size, being between 800 and 900 feet in length. Ruby notes that while the other dirigible had small levitation plates periodically upon it for support this vessel has huge sheets of the metal devices.

Suspended from below is a two-story wood and metal compartment with three times the interior square footage as that of the other balloon. The upper story appears to be furnished similarly to the other balloon, with that level also housing the controls. The lower compartment is comparable to a naval gunship, with a massive 8-inch diameter cannon at the front. Each of the other three sides house a 6-inch cannon in the center. The two sides also each have a pair of 4-inch cannon to either side of the larger cannon. Lastly, mounted in each four corners of the vessel is a gattling gun. A team of sixteen French Foreign Legion troops man the lower level.

Watching the gunship come into view George wonders aloud. "How do they deal with the recoil in the airship? It mush make navigation very difficult not to mention make the gondola list. Still guns alone cannot protect that which someone else desires."

Apparently hearing George's mutterings, the French diplomat Passy approaches him and says, "Engineering and aviation are not my specialties, you would have to ask either of my balloonist colleagues for the finer details but I do know a few things about this special ship.
There is a recoil when the guns fire, which is why the guns are on the lower of the two stories. When they fire the floor in between the two levels moves up and down as a cushion, temporarily reducing the space in the passenger compartment by half while still keeping the balloon level.

Another unique aspect of this dirigible is the gas mixture contained within it, designed to be non-flammable, as it the outer covering over the balloon. As a result, this ship cannot achieve either the height or speed of the other craft, a necessary tradeoff in order to provide the firepower for this dreadnaught." Lowering his voice so that only George can hear he adds "But the real reason we brought this vessel here today is not for the protection and transportation of the treasure, but rather so that General Orabi can see what he is potentially up against should he decide to not honor the obligations that he has made. At an appropriate time in the near future we plan for a similar presentation to the British military."

George states, "Surely the British have their own measures or counter-measures to use. Not to mention a greater desire. In the history of humanity, the fear of the bigger weapon, be it the phalanx, the bow, the lance or dirigible has not stopped wars when politicians desire the outcome. I fear the display may only encourage an arms race between the French and British. I do sincerely hope that it brings peace here and quickly."

Passy replies, "An arms race is already under weigh good sir, but for the foreseeable future the use of dirigibles is exclusive to only two parties, of which the British are not one. These were developed though a partnership between my colleague Mr. Henri Giffard and a German named Von Zeppelin, who is now making them exclusively for your country, the United States. And the American's have not had the benefit of our colleague Joseph Michael Montgolfier, who devised how to turn this vessel into the Dreadnaught that you see before you."

George states, "Oh, I have no doubt that it is, but I would not be so naive as to think that airship technology was so restricted. Still I do wish for peace among all parties, though I would not want to see anyone sign a treaty at the end a sword or a gun." Passy replies, "You misunderstand, the implied threat is not for force the signing of the treaty, but rather to make sure that both parties continue to honor the treaty after it is signed."

"If you think there is a difference then you are intellectually dishonest." replies George. "There is no functional difference and the niceties of international diplomacy that make such distinctions are in and of themselves shams and hold no more water than dear old Gunga Din."

Passy says, "Then we do not concur. Know this Mr. Eastman, we are not here to start a war but to help end one. Thousands have already perished, including innocent women and children who were victims of the British naval bombardment of Alexandria. Two armies are converging upon this location. If fighting comes here to Zakazik do you think the civilians will be spared? If this single vessel's implied threat of force can save countless lives then is it wrong for us to try?"

George replies, "Were civilians spared when the Romans sacked and salted Carthage? Were civilians spared when the Huguenots were at war? Were civilians spared when Napoleon looted his way across Europe? War is a terrible thing sir. Yet it has always through out history targeted women and children. When ever a weapon has come on stage it has been used. The Scythians the bow, the Romans the phalanx, the Spanish the galleon.

Why in the name of the gods would I assume that the French would not use a weapon they built when all of recorded history and human nature tells us otherwise? Or have the French found some measure of humanity that no other nation has? Has the Gallic race somehow succeeded in throwing off the bonds of mortality that bind us all? I think that they have not. And again sir, if you truly believe otherwise you are both ill-informed of your leaders true plans and nature and are naive. I pray that you are neither. Though I fear that your train of thought will repeat itself again and again as it has before." says George sadly and prophetically. In any case, it is not for us to wage the war with bullets or words, but to try to eek out some measure of peace, however ephemeral it may be."

Passy says, "Mr. Eastman, you speak of political leadership, as though they are the ones supporting myself and my friends. That is not the case. I am no more a representative of the French Government than you are of the United States. In fact, our group are no longer even on speaking terms with the hapless fools that currently rule France by committee. The French Government is too busy with infighting to concern themselves with foreign wars. My friends and I will not sit idly by and watch Egypt be destroyed in the meanwhile."

"Truly it matters little if you represent the actual or de facto government of France. I could name off a dozen such organizations that have enough power to function as governments. A weapon is a weapon and it can be abused by a person, an organization or a government equally easily. I do have to wonder why your group chooses to intervene here in Egypt and say not in South Africa or Aden, or even India. All locations where indigenous peoples are fighting for independence. I have to wonder about the rationale to be here, and why these civilians have such value to you. Or should I say their historical footprint." adds George with a wry smile.

Passy replies, "We are here because our colleague Mr. Champollion has spent the last half-century establishing the science of Egyptology and does not wish to see the history of those great people wiped from the Earth. Which leads me to ask the same question of you. Why exactly are YOU here Mr. Eastman?"

"Indeed, how altruistic of him. Assuming of course altruism is real and not merely social conformity pressure than defies the evolutionary fitness of selfish interest. But I am a bit of a history buff myself and am here to see the ancient wonders of the Old Kingdom. I am also considering a trek to the headwaters of the Nile recently discovered by Burton and Speke. Additionally, I am always searching for new sources of silver for my photography business. An African source would supply Europe quite well. And such an enterprise utilizing local labor would help the local economy and infrastructure." replies George. Ruby crosses her arms. "What in hades are you two talking about?"

A man attired in a leather long coat, leather cap with attached goggles and high leather boots with woolen pants exits the dirigible. He is way overdressed for the climate, but appears comfortable. Passy states "The aforementioned Montgolfier, our balloonist." Three men exit the dirigible following him, each more sensibly dressed in white shirts and ties but no jackets, with cotton rather than woolen trousers. Two others remain inside upon the upper level of the dirigible, continuing to work.

The trio approach and the youngest are introduced as Pierre-Auguste Renoir, a painter. Next is Joseph Renan, a historian specializing in Egyptology. The final man is ancient looking, walking slowly with the use of a cane. He is introduced as Joseph-Marie Jacquard. George immediately recognizes the name as the man who modernized the production of cloth through the use of automated weaving machines that followed patterns on punched cards. George also recalls from when he saw the listing of this Wizarding club that Jacquard was a founding member and is the oldest of that group, now at 130 years of age.

Louis Daguerre, the man who invented photography, had been listening to the tail end of the conversation and steps forward and says, "Ah good sir, I was curious when you would get around to discussion of our craft. Would you be interested in joining me inside the dirigible to see the photographs that were taken by it while aloft?" "Of course sir. I am most interested in how you managed to maintain enough stability in the airship during exposure of the plates." says George as he and Louis wander off with discussions of exposures, light and other technical subjects.

Ruby rolls her eyes. "How boring, all this business." She wanders over to the Princess. "So, how are things going with your man and the wedding plans?" The Princess smiles and says, "I've let the French handle most of that, and this need not be boring, come with me downstairs, the fun is about to begin." Ruby cocks an eyebrow and says slyly. "Oh really now? Let's go." She waves the Princess forward and follows behind.

Daguerre says to George, "We accomplished through a method that will not be available to you in America, we used magic. Specifically, the camera has been enchanted in such a way that the aperture only needs to be opened for a brief moment. What would take you a full minute we can do in two or three seconds." "Well, Louis, we are not in America now are we" says George with a roguish grin. "If you would be so kind I would love to see how that is done. perhaps I could bring my magical adviser to see this?"

Dagurerre says, "Certainly, I am aware that Mrs. Parker has dabbled in the arts during her youth. It is good to see that she has maintained her studies." “Excellent. Let us retrieve her then." George turns and catches Mina's eye and waves her over.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 58 "Information for Sarah” (Episode Two, Chapter Eighteen - Friday, September 9, 1882, 9:00 A.M.

At Tanis, Merimee leads Abigail (magically disguised as the French actress Sarah Bernhardt) out of the tent and to a sand dune off to the left, away from the remainder of the camp. The area smells awful as it is adjacent to the camel pen, but the animal sounds will keep any conversation from carrying.

He says, "Sarah, we are now alone. Four of my team have abandoned me, only Rodin remains and he is currently deep inside the ruins. But before we start discussing your current distress let me ask you this, that other man with you, can he be trusted? He does not look Egyptian but I am assuming that he is, and a powerful enough wizard to cast a Transportation Spell to bring you here."

She says, "I trust him absolutely, I wouldn't have let him bring me here otherwise. But please, update me on what is going on here." Merimee states, "Dearest Sarah, for you to have traveled here and in this mood can I safely presume that your team leader Gay-Lussac explained the tasks that you and Mr. Sardou must play in order this entire mission to succeed?" She grunted and folded her arms across her chest, looking out at the camel pen and waited for the man to go on.

He approaches her and wraps his arms around her, closing them across her. "Sarah, I understand, those who devised this plan are of an earlier generation than I, they grew up around Napoleon and shared with his ambitions. They think little of the moral implications, seeing the world as a giant chess board, one that is on the verge of being taken away from them.

They desperately need us, they need you. The two wizards who died last winter, Pascal and Monteblanc, they did not perish in an accidental fire as was previously stated. They were the first who Chevreul and Daguerre tied to have infiltrate the Royal Palace in Cairo. It was assumed that the advanced magical transformations would be completely undetectable as is almost always the case. But the King's fortress protections can apparently detect even the best of magics. They were captured, tortured and killed, never revealing their true identities or nationalities.

That is our group's true weakness, our dependence upon magic. Chevreul only took me into his confidence about the mission because he needed you and Sardou for your superior acting and disguise abilities. There is no other way to get Moissan's elixir into the building." She states, “There is always another way to get something done, there is only lack of imagination. Maybe they should have their chess board taken away."

He removes his folded hands from around her waist and begins to pace. "You could say we HAVE had OUR chess board taken away. The rest of the ruling council did not take kindly to our attempts to retrieve the Atlantian artifacts from America last spring. Both Victor Duruy and Empress Eugenia Maria have been stripped of their council positions. We no longer have any of our group, or any mages at for that matter, influencing the affairs of France. And the Druidess who runs the council is now talking about registration and restrictions on all Wizards and Magic."

She replies, "Registration and restrictions? What kind of restrictions? If the mission to America has been successful they would have been lining up to kiss your feet." He replies, "Louise Michael is trying to gain favor with the British and the Italians, as well as to reconcile with the Americans. France stands to no longer be a nation that supports the use of Wizard magics. That is the impetus behind Daguerre and Chevreul's bold plan, so that we will not need France as our base any more, we will have all of Egypt instead." Abby nodded seriously, her concern all too real. She certainly didn't mind these French bastards getting some of their own back, but the loss of a wizard friendly country was disturbing. "It would have been good to know this before, not that I like the mission any better."

Merimee states, "Of course you don't, that is because you are a good person. To be asked to participate in a mass murder is unpleasant to all of us with morals. But dearest Sarah, it is the only way, and all depends upon you and Sardou. The Egyptian King will never make peace with the Rebels. It is only through the elimination of him and his sons that we will be able to rule through our puppet Queen."

Abby quickly dropped her head so Merimee wouldn't see her reaction. As he finished she let her shoulders slump. "France will be lost to us forever. We guarantee and validate the distrust of wizards and arcane magic. And for security, for the lifetime of a puppet-Queen, I fear we may be short-sighted."

He replies, "I do not disagree, but I have little say in the matter. Durey and the Empress have caused the others to distrust all of us performers and politicians represented by the diamonds suite. They only brought me into their confidence because of their need for the two of you to get the elixir into the palace.

That is why I have reinvigorated my search for the Atlantis gateway. If we were to find it within the next three days the royals can be spared, as the Egyptian King would gladly form a partnership to share in the treasures of Atlantis. I am certain it is here in Tanis, unfortunately two-thirds of my team have abandoned me, and the British archaeologists who were here before us appear to know nothing of the gate." She sniffed derisively. "The British knowing nothing does not surprise me. But what happened with your team? Why have they gone?"

Merimee curses a sting of choice explicatives and then states, "Because three of them are engineers and not archaeologists. They had orders to return to Port Said and the study the canal AFTER we found the gate, but under Ampere's leadership they decided to abandon this site early. He said they needed to fully study the engineering now before we turn it over to the British. I have already filed a protest with Chevruel, he is after all the Ace of Clubs, and Ampere reports to him as his Jack.

I have also requested that Dominique Larrey's team be relocated here as soon as possible. They have real archaeologists upon their team and I estimate that the Nubian site has only a ten-percent likelihood of having the Atlantian gateway, while this site is estimated to be at a sixty-percent probability."

She asks, "You think perhaps Ampere is trying to sabotage you?" Prosper replies, "No, but I do think is was a mistake for us to have stopped by the canal first. Once they saw the engineering station and technologies that were employed there that is all Ampere, Eiffel and Fouccalt would talk about. They had no interest at in all searching here for the gate. After two days they extracted the miniature dirigible prematurely and convinced Laveran to be their pilot and navigator."

"Garden variety selfishness then." Abby paused and put on her most childlike face. "I'm not sure I can do this... do you at least think the plan is sound?" He replies, "I think that the plan is overly complex, but has worked as planned thus far. There has been one possible complication in Zakazik, a small group of rich American tourists. Daguerre feels that their presence can work to our advantage, as they will be witnesses to the wedding of our future Queen and the rebel General. But we must be extremely careful, the matriarch of that group once studied magic with Jules Verne's mother. Yet again I am saddened that Verne was forced to resign from our group, his son Michael is a poor substitute."

Abby states, "Americans are independent and unpredictable. They cause complications with every footstep. Do you think I'll have to be careful of them myself?" He replies, "No, they seem content to remain in Zakazik. They are going nowhere near Heliopolis or Cairo. Regarding Heliopolis, do you anticipate any difficulty with the shepherds? And how is Gerome doing with convincing that fanatic Abdulla to get his rabble to attack the Palace?"

She states, "Abdulla is a fanatic, and like most of them, he's a little more enamored of himself than he should be. Gerome is taking a little more time than he'd like, trying to at least make it so Adbulla can lie to himself about it all being his idea.” Prosper smiles and says, "That is good. It is fortunate that we have found the perfect scapegoat to blame the royal family's deaths upon."

She continues, “The shepherds should be much easier." Abby rubbed her temple then laid her hand against her chest for a moment. "I'm sorry, every since I got here I've had a bit of a headache." His face takes on a stern look and he says, "Sarah! Never underestimate a spell caster. The woman who you will be impersonating is a skilled druid, more than capable of defending herself. And the other shepherds are skilled fighters, experienced with protecting the royal flock from both bandits and desert jackals. You will only have a short window of opportunity as they near Cairo and you must take them without attracting undue attention."

She states, "I didn't mean it that way, of course I will take her seriously. I meant only that compared with Abdullah, at least this part is straight-forward. Don't worry. I want to return from this mission, even if it will haunt me."

He replies, "Good, and you do not need to worry about the shepherds, they are innocent and will not be harmed. Moissan has an elixir that will cause them to simply forget what transpired for half a day. Gay-Lussac can even place thoughts in their minds so that they will even remember delivering the animals. Sarah, please, promise me that you will carry out your part of this plan, and that you will convince Sardou too as well. I understand your reservations but we must do this. Now is not the time for us to be weak, Portugal and Spain both came close to setting foot upon Atlantis, we must win this race rather than them."

Abby looked down but nodded yes. "I won't let you down, I promise. With what is at stake... We will get it done." He embraces her, kisses her forehead, and states, "I know you will my dear. You must not linger here too long, if August Rodin sees you here I would have much to explain." She says, "Of course. I will see you again, after... I hope it's all worth it." With that Abby turned and hurried back toward the tent, trying to keep her pounding heart in her chest.

Back in Zakazik, Mina and George follow Daguerre into the dirigible. They note that the lower level is covered with framed papers stating directions in both French and German. The lower level has all of the cannon and ammunition and closely resembles warships that both have been upon before. Daguerre appears rather spry for a man almost a century old as he bounds up a metal spiral-staircase to the upper level, gesturing for the two to follow.

"Louis here says they have found a way to use magic that can aide the process of taking a photograph with a short aperture time to facilitate photographs from say the dirigible. I would like to have to look at it. I am very keen to see how this is done." explains George as he motions Mina before him on the staircase.

As they reach the upper deck they see that the forward section has the airship controls and the rear section appears to be some type of workshop, with wooden tables. The center of the room has a ten by fourteen foot section blocked off with thick black curtains and George smells the distinct aroma of photographic chemicals. They also note the spring mechanisms used to reduce the size of this section by half during the recoil of the gun fire. Mina concludes "I do not think I would enjoy being here when the floor moves, it would be worse that the rides at the World's Fair."

"No worse than a ship on a rough ocean I would suspect, nor would I expect Louis would be developing during combat. Well unless surveillance photos are needed" says George with a wink to Louis. Daguerre laughs and says, "No sir, I agree with the lady, this vessel would be too much for my old bones. I will keep to the other dirigible." He calls into the canvas area in French stating "Gabriel, come out here, we have distinguished company." George waits to meet Gabriel.

A young man exits, his hair matted in part to the side with photograph chemicals, silver dust on the sleeves of his worn work shirt and his necktie loosened. The man looks to be no more than a teenage but George suspects him older.

Daguerre states, "This is my apprentice Gabriel Lippmann, may I introduce you to George Eastman." The man's jaws drop and he exclaims "THE George Eastman! it is an honor to make your acquaintance sir! George has heard before of Lippmann, a chemist and photographer who is actually George's senior in age. Most notable are innovations of Lippmann's on optical lens technology used for cameras.

"It is my honor as well Gabriel" replies George. "If this dirigible crashed now it would set the science and art of photography back a hundred years!" laughs George. "I suspect that the three of us could spend a decade discussing photography. But I would not wish to bore my companion here. Louis here tell me you have developed some magical means of drawing in light more effectively and closing the aperture faster thus enabling shots from moving dirigibles. I am most keen to see such a development and Mrs. Parker here. My forgiveness for not introducing her," as George conducts introductions all around, "is my magical adviser."

Lippmann says, "Yes, the former Mrs. Wilamina Hamilton. Your reputation precedes you." Looking back to George he states, "The engineering is not overly complex, essentially the camera is built to incorporate the same magics used when a Wizard casts a 'Haste' spell, but instead of speeding up the person's metabolism it speeds up the image being drawn in. A very powerful wizard is needed to cast the spells at the precise moment that the lenses are being shaped, but once that is accomplished it is done."

While they are talking Daguerre heads into the darkroom and returns carrying a sheet of photographic paper, 10 by 8 inches in size. He states, "Gabriel has one other innovation that might be of interest to you. He shot this two hours ago while flying over General Orabi's artillery brigade." The sheet is turned over, clearly depicting an army column moving across the desert, in vivid color rather than black-and-white. George gives Mina a knowing look as if to ask if she could replicate the lens. George starts at the color photograph though. "Now this is a marvel. The holy grail we have all been pursuing for so long. Please if I may ask how you can to this break through."

Lippman replies, "Through the simultaneous casting of a simple spell onto the paper just before the lens is opened. I call it a Color Cantrip, a zero-level spell that can be taught to almost anybody." "I would be very grateful if you would be able to teach this cantrip to Mrs. Parker if she is willing." asks George. "I would be honored to," Lippmann replies. Meanwhile, Daguerre is busy studying several of the recently taken photographs of Orabi's rebel army.

George leaves Mina to learn the spell from Gabriel and heads over to join Louis to examine the photograph more closely, both to see how well the colors come out but also to see the composition of the army and its location. Daguerre shows them to him and says, "On the subject of commercial ventures, how well do you think a book would sell that shows photographs of both armies as they move towards battle as well as their initial clash?"

'I think that it would sell tremendously well, provided the cost was not too prohibitive. There are many historians around the world who would wish a copy. I think though that I would love to see photographs of the world's great paintings published as a book. Imagine being able to see Monet with having to travel to the Louvre. How art could be spread reducing the need hopefully for photos of armies." replies George.

Daguerre replies, "My artist colleagues have expressed similar comments, including Claude Monet. This book will be more than just a historical record of a minor skirmish between an Empire's army and some upstart rebels. When the book becomes a best seller it will also serve as free publicity for the viability of our two primary commercial ventures, color photography and the many uses of dirigibles. You see Mr. Eastman, my French companions have expensive tastes and we are no longer subsidized by either the French Government or the various Universities in Paris. We need to come up with other means to survive, and the money made from our inventions will serve as that source."

George responds, "I quite well know that technical innovations can finance philanthropic ventures. But do not dismiss the wonderful resource that the book would be as a historical record. Perhaps aerial photographs of the pyramids and other wonders. Not to mention their value to geographers and surveyors." They continue to looks at the photographs for a while. George and Mina then head back downstairs in search of where Ruby has gone to.

Silver Moon

Adventurer
Chapter 59 "The Rescue” (Episode Two, Chapter Nineteen) - Friday, September 9, 1882, 10:00 A.M.

Ruby and Neferka had descended the two levels. Ruby notes that the only items of value left behind are the large statues. When the reach the ground floor they see that all twenty human men and the half-dozen ogres who participated in hauling the treasure have been lined up on the north and south walls. The Egyptian officer in charge calls out a command and the men begin to remove their clothing.

"Oh my, this is a tough job we have, isn't it?" Ruby chuckles as she eyes the men with a sparkle in her eye. Princess Neferka laughs and says, "We must ensure that none of the treasure has been stolen. How would we ever know if something had been pocketed if they were allowed to keep the pockets. Let me know if you see anything you like, I can have it sent up to your room in the hotel for later."

Ruby taps her full lips in thought then laughs. "Not too long ago I might have taken you up on that most generous offer. But now my heart belongs to my fiancé, George, and I just couldn't do anything to hurt him." She sighs, "It's like I'm growing up or something!" She laughs again, "But I'm not going to turn down watching the show. After all, I'm just doing part of my job."

The Princess says, "If being a prude is growing then I will stay eternally young instead. I will spend tonight with Ahmed following our wedding, but then he's going off to fight his war and leaving me here by my lonesome. I think that I will need at least two or three of these robust young men to help pass the time."

Ruby says, "Luckily I have found a man that can keep me satisfied in a very non-prudish way and for the first time, I'm not minding growing up so much. But I must admit, I would find it hard to be faithful to anyone being apart for so long... so I don't blame you. And there are quite a few men there who are worthy of some of your time. But perhaps the war will be averted and you two won't have to be apart."

Neferka says, "The war will hopefully be shorted, but not fully averted. According to the Frenchman Renoir the British will reach Ahmed's troops as early as tomorrow at dawn. It will take longer than that for word to reach my father of this marriage and the desire for a truce, nor is there any guarantee that the British will listen to my father even if he asks them to stop."

Ruby replies, "I wish there was something more we could do to help things. How would your father find out about the desire for a truce and why would it take so long?" Neferka says, "You can help by having your fiancé photograph tonight's wedding. Pictures of me and Ahmed happy together should help to convince my father. I will write an impassioned letter, as will Ahmed, asking for peace. But Cairo is nowhere near where these armies will soon clash."

Ruby states, "I'm certain George will be willing to photograph. Is there maybe a magical means of getting the letter to your father faster?" She says, "The letter will get there fast enough, the railroad runs from here to Cairo. It is getting a message to the British soldiers in the field that will take time." She walks away from Ruby and over to the military leader, who is supervising his men that are searching the naked soldiers and guards for contraband concealed in their hair and other areas. She talks to the man while pointing to three of the naked men. She then returns to Ruby and says, "All set for tomorrow night. Let's head back to the hotel and enjoy a long bath."

"I approve of your choices and am quite jealous," Ruby smirks, recalling some of her own past exploits. "The men here are quite...fit. I will have to wrap up myself up with my own man to quell my jealousy tonight. I agree, a bath is in order." She takes the Princesses' arm and with a final glance at the naked men, they begin to return to the hotel. Four ogre guards are assigned to accompany them.

In Tanis, Abby has no difficulty getting by the guards and back into the room with the male prisoners. She took a quick look around and saw they had waited for her. "Is the lock that difficult? We can use the elixirs to get them through the bars if we have to. We have to hurry. We need to get back to the others...I just heard some pretty horrifying things. I think I'm going to need to use the Elixir of Flight myself. I need to get back to the others and let them know what I learned, and time is of the essence. So Fish, I need you to get us in this cell. I think we'll need the Insubstantiation for the ladies in the building." Ben nods and attends to the locks.

“Two men, an animal... what else?" Abby said, thinking through the elixir options. Callum says, "I could bring those over and explain to the women how to use them. But I'm not sure they would care for the effect given their Victorian sensibilities." Abby says, "They'll have to get over it or stay. Getting out of a building is much harder than getting out of a tent.” He says, "I understand, but the elixir only effects the body, not clothing. When they become substantial again it will be as the Gods made them. She says, "So take their clothes with you and turn your back."

Callum adds, “The women will also be at the mercies of the winds, there is no telling where they will end up. Obviously, I will accompany them.” Abby says, “You’ll have to. I have to use the flight to go back anyway, we'll have to figure out how to contact Sabah's cousins."
He says, "You best be off then. Wait of until you are out of sight from this camp before consuming the elixir. Be sure to stay low and away from any settlement. And most of all, keep your eyes on constant alert for the dirigibles."

The locks are opened in short order. The older men wait anxiously by the door. The two younger men awaken. The still invisible Callum whispers to Fish "I only know three of these guys, I have no idea who the younger man on the left is." Abby says, "Wait a minute, I'm not leaving you two here alone to do this, let's just make it quick. Two women, three men... You said five, didn't you? There's an extra," she said, dropping her voice further at the end. Callum says, "I noticed. I have no idea who the younger man on the right is."

She nodded and pitched her voice low, but not whispering. "Alright, here's the plan. Sarah is going to pick up two servants and a pet monkey. But I had only planned for three." She waved toward the young man they didn't know. "You are?" He replies in a Scottish accent, "A world traveler and novice writer who finds himself in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was arrested yesterday. They accuse me of being a man of the Stuart family and plan to execute me for being a spy."

"That's a long name," she said dryly. "I apologize, it has been said of me before that I am quite verbose. My name good lady is Robert Louis Stevenson." Abby says, "That's much shorter. Now R. L. Stevenson, how are we getting you out of here. You were not in the plan. And unless you think crawling out of here like a spider might help, we need a separate plan."

He replies, "I will exit by any means available. I have no fear of being executed for any actions that I myself initiated, but to die simply as a case of mistaken identity would not be fair or proper." "Ok, let's make up some kind of disguise for you, anything to make you look like a worker so you can walk out of here with me." Abby began looking around the tent, trying to find anything they could use.

It doesn't take long for her to find some clothing piled in a corner. It is well worn and reeks of sweat, dirt and some type of fermented beverage. She states, "If nothing else, the stench should keep anyone from looking too closely. Get dressed," she said and tossed him the stinking rags. "The rest of you, two of you will drink an elixir that will transform you. You'll look like Egyptian workers. One of you will drink an elixir that will turn you into an animal. Temporarily. A monkey would be a good choice. Who's willing to see how the monkeys live?"

The elderly William Flinders Petrie says, "It would be best that I try that miss, is it highly unlikely that a man of my advanced years would be a worker on a dig site, even with a magical disguise." "As you like, sir," Abby said with a smile and handed him the vial. In a very soft voice she described where they were going and instructed them to make for the spot if they got separated. She handed the other vials to the two other archeologists and asked Cal, "Anything else they need to know?"

He replies softly, "No, just talk them through the transformations, they need to picture who they will become." he replies lightly, speaking soft enough that the Englishmen do not hear their voices. The men consume the elixirs. Abby talked each man through his transformation, then tucked the new monkey inside her robes with his head sticking out. "Alright everyone, we're going to walk right out of here. We still have to get the ladies out of here, so I'm going to give you some orders while we're out there and send you toward our friends who're waiting. Everyone speak now, or forever hold your peace."

The men do as instructed. None of the guards stop 'Sarah' or her entourage. They exit the tent. Abby spots the disguised Henry Jones over towards the far end of the camp, driving a mule cart filled with water buckets. Abby headed imperiously toward the mule cart. When she arrived she made a show of moving the servants forward as she said low, "Can you get these men to the others?"

Henry says "I can, are these who I think they are?" "Yup, except one mistaken for another Scot." She backed up a step waved them away while muttering in Egyptian. Then she suddenly stepped forward and shoved the monkey at Henry, "And take the Monkey!" she added in French. "I have an interrogation to conduct." Henry leads the men off to the edge of the camp. When nobody is looking they duck behind the nearest sand dune.

"Alright, let's go get the women," she said to Fish and Cal and started striding toward the brick building that housed the ladies, well aware that at any moment the men's escape could be noticed. She studied the security at the brick building as they approached. The building appears to have only one entrance, a thick oaken doorway with heavy iron fastenings. There are three French Foreign Legion guards by the door. Cal whispers "I see a faint aura around the door frame, it appears to be magically locked as well. I doubt those guards can unlock it even if you order them to."

Abby says, "Damn. I don't have the skill to unlock a magically locked door. Any way we can get in a window? We wouldn't even have to actually get in if we found the right window, someone could use that arachnid movement to get to it, but it would be obvious. Damn, damn, damn." They walk around the building and see that there are windows for ventilation near the ceiling, nine feet off the ground. Cal says, "Either myself or your friend Benjamin should use the elixir, you should not while there is already an elixir within your stomach. Mixing magical elixirs could lead to some dangerous results."

Abby says, "The women would probably be even more upset if they're being talked to by someone they can't see, but there's no guarantee they'll be able to see Fish through the window either. But they might not trust you, Cal, knowing why they were taken. I think Fish should go up. And I hate to say it, but since I can't help here, perhaps I should go so I can pass on what I learned." Callum says, “That might be best, we can handle this.” "Alright, have fun you two. I'm kind of sad to miss the shocked expressions from the ladies. Careful, see you back in Zakazik."

As Abby was walking away, hoping to disappear behind the sand dune as Henry had, she suddenly realized that she shouldn't take that potion of flight either and hoped this one wore off soon. But that was for after she at least got out of the camp. She retraced her steps to where Henry had been and tried to leave camp unnoticed, or at least unnoted. "Oh damn, here we go." Sure Fish could take care of himself, and at least Cal was invisible, she kept moving, staying out of sight of the camp and moving as fast as she could.

Back in Zakazik, Ruby and Neferka are reclining in a ten-foot diameter tile pool filled with very hot water as they drink a fruity-wine grown in the area. The Princess comments "Ah, alone at last." Ruby finds the Princess's definition of "alone" a bit surprising given the fourteen servant girls currently attending to the two of them. "Ah, I could get used to this! I've always imagined that I was a Princess in another life" Ruby says, sipping her wine. "Though I am wondering, are you ever just... alone alone? I mean like, just you?"

She replies, "I can order the servants away any time I wish, but with a war going and this hotel lacking the security of my father's palace, I would always want others near me to feel safe." Ruby replies, "Too true. I keep forgetting that it's a dangerous war zone and I do apologize for that. I don't always tend to be the most cautious person around." She dips her shoulders down into the hot water.

She says, "I admit, the thought of your wedding is very romantic and from what I have seen, Egypt is very exotic and sexy. I wonder what George is up to right now?" Neferka replies, "He's probably busy playing with toys.” "Yes, yes, boys and their toys. Sometimes it grows weary but I know it's important." The Princess asks, “So what are you planning to wear tonight for the ceremony?"

Ruby's brows furrow together in a familiar fashion. "You know, I haven't figured that out yet, what to wear. I suppose I should run out after our bath and find something. Do you have any suggestions? I know it's kind of last minute." She says, "I will wear a wedding gown, I have an older cousin who lives in this city who has agreed to let me use the one she wore four years ago. For you I have a dress similar to what Cleopatra wore. But it is somewhat sheer. You might want to wrap you in some strategically placed veils first in order to not scandalize some of the other guests."

Ruby states, "Neferka, it's like we are sisters you know me so well! I don't mind the sheer but of course, I would not want to scandalize your guests. I will dress appropriately and be dazzling for you. I'm very excited! I imagine some of your girls will be able to help with this wild mane of hair? I want it to look just right. Now, do you have something sexy for your wedding night?" She gestures down towards her naked body within the bath and says, "You do not think that Ahmed will find this sexy?"

Ruby chuckles, "Of COURSE he will find you more than sexy. I suppose it's an old American tradition that we pretend to be demure on our wedding nights. I myself love to tease and tantalize with lacy things until my man begs for me... it makes him always want only me and his eyes never wander after that." The Princess smiles and says "Perhaps you can loan me something for this evening."

Ruby says, "I absolutely can and will. Trust me, neither you or him will be disappointed." Ruby sips at her wine for a long moment. "So, are you nervous?" Ruby asks quietly. "Marrying someone is a big deal." Neferka replies, "I am the eldest daughter of a King. I have been trained and prepared for marriage my entire life. I am very pleased that my suitor is a young, brave and handsome man who I enjoy the company of, rather than an old fat sultan or foreign Prince that Father sought only for political purposes."

Ruby says, "Heh, I'll take that as a no. You sound very prepared and happy and therefore I am happy for you. As for me... I love my fiancé so much but sometimes I wonder... not too long ago I thought I would never, ever get married."

Back near Tanis, Abby has to keep moving, as the French Foreign Legion troops soon set out in pairs atop camels looking for the escaped prisoners. She manages to spend the better part of the next two hours evading capture until the elixir within her system finally wears off. The elixir wearing off was just as strange as when it took effect, but at least this time she got her own body back instead of getting a new one. She took a deep breath and swallowed the flight potion, then kept herself low to the ground as she could to avoid being seen then headed back to Zakazik.

It takes a solid twenty minutes of experimenting for Abby to get used to the concept of unaided flight. She soon discovered that it worked best while going horizontally with her arms straight to her sides, as any arm movement created wind resistance and she almost crashed into the desert sands twice. One hour into her flight she sees a dirigible approximately thirty miles northwest of her, moving away in a northerly direction towards the Nile Delta along the Mediterranean Sea.

Remove ads