Closest modern PC and/or console game to. . .

Aus_Snow

First Post
The Alien series?

Just watched them again the other day, and yeah, a game something like that would be fun.

Anything in that vicinity?

dvvega

Explorer
Yeah its called Aliens ... I only remember it on the C-64 but I'm sure you can find an emulator/rom for it.

D

Thanee

First Post
There's a shooter called Alien vs. Predator (not quite modern, but not quite as old either), that is said to be quite fun and catch the mood well.

Bye
Thanee

Steel_Wind

Legend
Obsidian's Aliens CRPG, published by Sega and due out probably later this year (read October).

Timing of release is problematic though. Obsidian's secret agent CRPG, Alpha Protocol is also due out this year, and SEGA will probably want to avoid both CRPGs being released at the same time as Dragon Age. (October '09 might not be bad timing for Aliens, all things considered.)

Game is definitely being developed for consoles and a PS3 version is confirmed. PC version is less clear.

Info is a little sketchy on the game. Most screen shots shown to date appear to be concept art and film impressions. Real bona fide screen shots? Not shown yet. Given that Obsidian generally knows what they are doing, I think they are playing this one very close to the vest. Whether that's a good or bad thing - we'll see.

General discussion may be found here:

http://forums.obsidian.net/index.php?showforum=56

Last edited:

dvvega

Explorer
C-64 games are still pretty good compared to the mess of badly designed modern games :)

However it is the most modern game that fits your request.

Unfortunately Alien vs. Predator is better at the arcades AND it is really a glorified beat 'em up as opposed to representing the feel of Alien/Aliens. It is more a Golden Axe style fighting game.

D

DarkKestral

First Post
You might want to look out for Dead Space.. It's a survival horror third person shooter that sounds like it might have some of that Aliens feel. I haven't played it myself, but it has an interesting way of keeping you in the game; the character's body holds your health and ammo info on it so there's no menus or external HUDs you have to keep track of.

Arnwyn

First Post
The best, IMO, are:

Aliens vs. Predator 2 (PC; IGN Profile Page) - a FPS that came out in late 2001, it really feels like you're there... in a scary way. Great game, and the Colonial Marine campaign is the best.

Dead Space (PS3/X360) - 3rd person action/survival horror game with aliens and a broken down ship. Great reviews all around.

Remove ads