Discussion - General Discussion Thread '09

adc15

First Post
First, I apologize if this isn't the correct place to ask general questions, but it seemed the most likely place for them when I was looking through the threads.

I'm very new (in fact, my character is only 1/2 approved -- so very very new) and after reading the stickies there were a few things that I was wondering about:

First: The character I designed is a rogue and was made to have the skills of a cat burglar. I was wondering if there was any way - either through DMed missions or something like the various jobs I saw in the stickies - in which my character could make money through theft in the cities or surrounding areas?

Second: I see that there is at least one shop where PCs can buy and sell various magical items and the thread tracks purchases. Is there a similar mechanic for mundane items that I'm not seeing or do you just make mundane purchases using PHB costs and subtract it from your character sheet on the rosters thread? And are magical items also purchasable this way, or is the entrance of magical items into the realm restricted to those given out in the DMed adventures?

Thanks, and again, my apologies if these are common questions. I just didn't see the answers in the stickies or in the various threads I've read.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
as a general purpose player, I will try to answer your wuestions as best i can.:

First, I apologize if this isn't the correct place to ask general questions, but it seemed the most likely place for them when I was looking through the threads.

You have chose the right forum to post your question. I know I am the most guilty of not using it when I should have, but the past is the past.

I'm very new (in fact, my character is only 1/2 approved -- so very very new) and after reading the stickies there were a few things that I was wondering about:

First: The character I designed is a rogue and was made to have the skills of a cat burglar. I was wondering if there was any way - either through DMed missions or something like the various jobs I saw in the stickies - in which my character could make money through theft in the cities or surrounding areas?

I would say that you would need to have maybe a solo adventure for these kind of actions. There fore, if there is any who would dm such a thing, perhaps you will read this and see if something could be proposed? I am not sure if i have the time, but I will look into the possibility if me doing this. but no promises

Second: I see that there is at least one shop where PCs can buy and sell various magical items and the thread tracks purchases. Is there a similar mechanic for mundane items that I'm not seeing or do you just make mundane purchases using PHB costs and subtract it from your character sheet on the rosters thread? And are magical items also purchasable this way, or is the entrance of magical items into the realm restricted to those given out in the DMed adventures?

I know of three shops:
1. Findoram's Crafts

I know there is a leather worker there to create that special master work bag for a bag of holding, but there are all kinds of things like armor, weapons and wonderous magical items.

2. di Senzio's Magical Shop
Spell Component and Magical Items

a place to buy and sell magic items, be it potions, scrolls or .... whatever.

3. Tarag's Forge: Fine Weapons & Armor to save your life

right now, Tarag is on a very tough misson for his god, keeping Keldar Warbrey out of prison. Now granted that may be a lifelong mission, but .... but i digress. Sorry. He is in a thread placinghim in the gnomish(?) city of O'fallon, I believe.

otherwise, i think the normal stuff is jsut simply buy it and write it on you character sheet.

Thanks, and again, my apologies if these are common questions. I just didn't see the answers in the stickies or in the various threads I've read.

That is all of the help i can give. Any one else?.....

covaithe

Explorer
For mundane items, there are two ways to buy them. You can just buy them from anonymous NPCs at SRD prices, put them on your character sheet without any further fuss. Or you can try to find a player character with the appropriate feats and/or craft skills and make a deal with them in character to buy it for whatever price they're willing to sell it for. That would usually take place in either a shop thread or the tavern, or some other in-character thread.

For some things you're probably stuck with paying SRD prices -- I don't have any idea what kind of skill it takes to make trail rations, for example.

As for thieving... are you talking about using the job system for it, so that when not on adventure you gain xp and cash slowly? If so, I'm pretty sure that's not currently allowed. You could try proposing it, but I'm thinking it's not terribly likely to pass. The main problem being that there's no risk of being caught in the job system.

adc15

First Post
Scott - Thanks for the answers.

As for thieving... are you talking about using the job system for it, so that when not on adventure you gain xp and cash slowly? If so, I'm pretty sure that's not currently allowed. You could try proposing it, but I'm thinking it's not terribly likely to pass. The main problem being that there's no risk of being caught in the job system.

I wasn't thinking of proposing anything right now. I haven't been around long enough to see everything that already does exist. I was just wondering to what extent rogue skills could be used outside of adventures and in what capacity.

Even if there was some way to do solo theft missions, I have a feeling I'm a bit too low of a level to attempt such a thing at the moment. I was just thinking about what I pictured my character doing in the future and trying to figure out if such things existed in the game mechanics.

Thanks all for the answers. :)

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
I remember there was a mechanic in a source book for a 2.0 ed cat burgler action, but i am pretty much clueless about 3.5. It might be convertable. I will have to check it out.

i know the 2.0 source book mechanic ws great. I had a 1/2ling thief psionacist that was a one man crime wave in this town of 20,000. I got in a lot of trouble!

Erekose13

Explorer
I've completed my Gemhold adventure. not sure if Patlin is still around to judge the end of it. If not can another judge look at the last couple of pages.

Thanks,
Erekose

Manzanita

First Post
Gosh. I"ve got the same issue. Bront has never checked in to give me DM credits for S3. I still plan to post my summary in the thread & on the wiki, though I've been very slow. I'd love to get credit for the adventure, anyway.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases