Discussion - General Discussion Thread '09

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
On the character application, there were a few abbreviations and things I had questions on.

Firstly, what is ACP? Are those actions points? Or Armor Check Penalty? I'm thinking the latter.
armor check pennalty
Do I put N/A for arcane failure chances on a character who does not cast arcane spells?
I do. gives them notice yoou understand what it is and how it does not apply to your character

What is Spellsave? I am not familiar with it...
it does not sound familiar to me either. what context is it in? can you give me a link to it? I have never seen it my self. it might mean the spell save dc for each level of spell. (10+spell level+int mod+other mods

Abilities on the chart means special abilities granted by race, correct?
I am once again not sure of the context, but it could mean class abilities on progression charts.

For skills, do I list all skills, or only those which I've placed skill points into?

i would recommend on those that you have ranks in, then as yoou use cirtain skills regularly you can add those for simple refrence

as an example i present you with my character pendrake utherman, fighter 4. just plain fighter.

notice that there are un ranked skills listed. those were called upon quite often when he was fighting against the blacklilly thievs, and for easy refrence for often used untrained skills, i listed them.
Code:
[B]Skill Points:[/B] (2+1) X 4 (fighter lv 1) +4 
(human race bonus) = 16
2+1+1 (int +1, human bonus +1) = +4 skill points /level
 after 1st  
total at level 4: 28
[B]Max Ranks (class/crossclass):[/B] 7/3.5

[B]Skills:               Ranks  Mod  Misc  Total[/B]   acp
Climb *                  3    +3          +3     -3
Craft, leatherworking *  7    +1          +8
Craft, scrimshaw  *      3    +1          +4
Diplomacy                0     0          +0
Gather Info              0     0          +0
Handle Animal  *         2     0          +2
Jump *                   5    +3          +5     -3
Listen                   0     0          +0
Ride *                   4    +2          +6
Swim *                   4    +3          +1     -6
Spot                     0     0          +0
Use rope                 0    +2          +2

(*) denotes class skill

covaithe

Explorer
The standard character sheet is intended to be a general guide to how a readable character sheet looks, not an iron-clad law dictating exactly what you have to fill out and where it goes. It helps us character judges if, when looking to see that you've calculated your armor check penalty right, we know roughly where to look for the ACP number. But if there are fields that don't apply to your character, it's certainly okay to leave them off or put N/A or leave them blank.

My recommendation is to look over some character sheets for characters similar to yours and try to get a feel for how other people have represented the information. You'll quickly find that there's a lot of variation, and that you like some formats better than others. Copy one you like. If the judges hate it, we'll tell you to fix it, but otherwise don't worry too much about the details.

Theroc

First Post
Thanks guys, sorry if I seem rather clueless, as I said in a post elsewhere, in the previous D&D adventures I played, both were rules light(one moreso than the other) games, so when getting into this, I'm running into things I never encountered during my brief experiences.

As another question: As the SRD cannot tell me, is it possible for me to get a brief synopsis on levelling benefits? I've seen things indicate that every third level a character gets a feat, but elsewhere I've seen it mentioned as four. Is this class or race based? Or is one or the other correct?

This is one of the only things I know I can't get info on regarding levelling.

Given how little I know, I'm thinking a fighter would be my best bet on starting off... any opinions on which classes are easiest to ease into EN-World with, with regards to rules and whatnot?

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
character level 1 you get a feat and then at 3. beyond that it is every third level.

you get an ability modifier (+1) at every 4th level

this information, as far as i know , is not in the srd. I believe the srd was originally designed to create 3rd party material (modules and books) and not intended to create characters. thus, I had to personally find a PHB when i first played this game. the chart with the information you are asking about here is in the PHB.

As for the questions, I fully encourage the questions to be asked now so that you don't do what I did and take a feat that was not on the list because i didn't read the rull page or so of rules and screwed up. The judges were gracious in their helping me fix my mistake and i am glad to see you asking these questions.

so: on behalf of the judges not getting another bout of heart burn like i caused them. . .

ask away !!

Theroc

First Post
lol, chances are I'll still make some mistakes, but this way I'll make less, and hopefully don't look like I'm a complete fool. ;)

Thanks for all the help so far. Now to decide what I actually want to do, as I think I've got all my current questions answered... >.>

Theroc

First Post
Just to clarify something for myself, yeah, more questions... lol

When taking the "Martial Weapon Proficiency" feat, it applies to only one weapon, but classes such as fighter can use any martial or simple weapon without buying feats, correct?

Theroc

First Post
Yet another question:
What crafting skills apply to which items?

The SRD didn't list specific skills, so which exist in EN-World?

I saw someone was a Blacksmith, weaponsmith and armorsmith, each having different levels.

What is the difference between these?

What other crafting skills are there? Leatherworking, alchemy?

Heckler

First Post
Yet another question:
What crafting skills apply to which items?

The SRD didn't list specific skills, so which exist in EN-World?

I saw someone was a Blacksmith, weaponsmith and armorsmith, each having different levels.

What is the difference between these?

What other crafting skills are there? Leatherworking, alchemy?
It should be pretty straitforward as to what you can make with each Craft skill. It may vary somewhat DM to DM.

The following skill are listed in the PHB (they are missing in the SRD):
alchemy, armorsmithing, basketweaving, bookbinding, bowmaking, blacksmithing, calligraphy, carpentry, cobbling, gemcutting, leatherworking, locksmithing, painting, pottery, sculpting, shipmaking, stomemasonry, trapmaking, weaponsmithing and weaving.

This is not an inclusive list. If you're interested in something not covered here, you can come up with something appropriate. For example, I have seen Craft: Poisonmaking show up in a few sourcebooks.

Re: armorsmithing, blacksmithing and weaponsmithing.
The way I see it, armorsmithing and weaponsmithing are more specialized. They would allow you to create/repair armor and weapons, respectively. Knowing how to make a sword doesn't mean you know how to make plate mail, and vice versa. Blacksmithing is more generalized. It would allow you to things you would generally xpect the town smithy to do, i.e. shoe horses, create pots, pans and other simple metal objects, basic smelting...

The SRD does contain a table with some DC rating for some objects to give you a basic idea.

Does that help?

Theroc

First Post
It does help some, as you provided the list, but... what mechanically does each crafting skill do?

Like, are basket weaving and weaving just flavored crafting skills, or can you produce a useful adventuring item with it?

I just want to clarify, so I know which crafting skills I should aim towards for a given character, and also curious what types of items each crafting skill creates.

Remove ads