[Closed for now]Ata's 4e PPvPP Arena

Atanatotatos

First Post
It's over! Oni's the winner! And whoa, did it last!

1st-Oni
2nd-Rena1g
3rd-Covaithe
4th-Industrygothica

So, guys, as promised, I want to do this again, at a higher level, and with balancing rules such as no action points to attack. But I want to hear what you think about something. How would you like if we did the same thing, but with teams of 2?

renau1g

First Post
*Phew* My terrible tactics in the final battle sealed my fate (forgetting about using the teleport while bloodied to gain the healing surge + letting my flaming sphere go out of range).

Good work Oni, Ata, et all.

I'm definitely itching for a re-match. Would we be able to use PHB2?

Atanatotatos

First Post
So let's see how these rules look for you.

-Eight entries.
-Encounters are 2 vs 2. The couples are decided randomly and then the players (if they want) can find an agreement on the thread, or privately if they want to keep the secret.
-Lvl 16
-22 pb
-standard wealth and items(one magic item of level +1, one of your level, one of your level -1, and wealth equal to the price of a level -1 item)
-Each character can only use up to two consumables per encounter. It is allowed, however, to buy more to use in subsequent encounters.
-Available sources: PHb, FGRG, PHb2, AV, Manual of the Planes, no races from the MM, no playtest or preview material. Dragon is available as a source for expanded races and classes.
-Some options may be disallowed.

The rules:
-Competitors are coupled randomly.
-There will be four different arenas; you won't know in advance where you'll fight; there might be traps, obstacles or monsters; the arena for the final will be chosen randomly between these two.You won't be able to escape the arena so that is not an option.
-You will have a short rest after each fight.
-You win if your opponents:
* surrender
* die
* fall unconsciou on their turn due to reaching 0 hp and you can attack them on your subsequent turn
* fall unconscious during your turn due to reaching 0 hp and fail a death saving throw on their subsequent turn
-The fight continues if:
*An unconscious competitor manages to recover from the uncoscious condition
*An uncoscious competitor fails to recover, but the opponents are unable to attack him (example: they are immobilized and only have melee attacks)
-You can have one item or weapon ready at the start of the battle. Well, except for shields, that'd be unfair. So yeah, for example you can have a sword and a shield readied without needing an action, but you'd have to spend one to take a potion out.
-Spending action points is not allowed. You can, however, spend action points to activate certain abilities that require the expenditure (like the bonus damage of a warpriest or the dmg resistance of a dreadnought).
[sblock=House rules]-Stealth:
*You can hide with simple cover, albeit at a -2 penalty on your stealth check.You can't hide on subsequent turns in the same spot with simple cover if you have become visible.
*You can't hide with light concealment, but concealments from different sources stack.
-Double Weapons:
*Double weapons lose the defensive property
*Double swords lose the light blade type
-Battlerage Vigor:
*You can only gain temp hp from being damaged once per round.[/sblock]

CaBaNa

First Post
I like those rules, after each match would you have your team mate randomized again?

Would holy symbols count as worn items instead of wielded items?

Do worn items count as the wielded items?

Also instead of ending the fight when the opposing player goes unconscious and you can attack them on your subsequent turn, how about when the opposing player goes unconscious and they take damage from you on your subsequent turn.

Last edited:

Atanatotatos

First Post
1-No, couples stay throughout the tournament.
2-Yes, holy simbols count as worn items.
3-No, worn items don't count towards wielded items.
4-For this purpose, being able to attack is sufficient. However, if one character in the team is still standing, the fight goes on. If the left character wins the fight, the team wins, and the dead companion "respawns" for the next encounter.

However, these rules are open for discussion (well n 4, at least). If there is a strong opinion against or in favor of a rule, we can change that.
Also, PHb2 is very very new, so if you spot something that looks overpowered, share your opinion (rather than sneaking it in your build! :D)

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
I'm definitely interested. The rules look good, very reasonable. Just to clarify, you can't use AP's for taking any sort of extra action? So you couldn't, say, burn your AP to take 3 move actions in one turn?

I like having the team succeed or fail together ... as for winning conditions, I think it would be good to make a note that the conditions have to be fulfilled for both characters of a team in order for them to lose. For example, they both have to be unconscious and attackable for the team to lose. So if they're both unconscious, but the opposing team can only attack one of them, they would not lose yet ... does that sound good?

Edit: For the number of teams, maybe stick with 8 characters for 4 teams, and if there's enough interest to open up slots for another 8 characters, then expand. I'm not sure if there will be 16 people interested, though ...

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases