John Carter of Mars

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
John Carter of Mars (2012)

Civil War vet John Carter is transplanted to Mars, where he discovers a lush, wildly diverse planet whose main inhabitants are 12-foot tall green barbarians. Finding himself a prisoner of these creatures, he escapes, only to encounter Dejah Thoris, Princess of Helium, who is in desperate need of a savior.

Comments: Now being reimagined at Pixar as a half animation/half live action project.

I really, really want this to happen.

Given how many times it's started and failed and different studios, and how far away the release date is, I'm not hopeful about it happening. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

Mercutio01

First Post
I hope this happens, and I hope it's done right. I've read every book in the series (in fact, I've read just about everything ERB wrote). This would be awesome to see filmed.

BadMojo

First Post
I really, really want this to happen.

Given how many times it's started and failed and different studios, and how far away the release date is, I'm not hopeful about it happening. But I'd love to be proven wrong.

I was excited about this when Jon Favreau and Robert Rodriguez were tied to it, but now that it's some guy from Pixar...not so much.

This really has been making the rounds for almost a decade.

Darthjaye

First Post
Problem is, when they said it was going animated instead of live action, they also said there would be some major changes in the storyline. They were not going to go with the Civil War John Carter but something maybe early 20th century.

Pixar doesn't worry me so much though. They still know how to make entertaining movies, although this will be a much more serious movie than i can think of that they have developed so far. Can't see one of the cutesy little animated bits on the front of this like so many other Pixar films though.

I too am a huge fan of the books and if they don't get this one right i will be really disappointed.

CreativeMage

First Post
Along this theme, we're currently developing a tabletop RPG based on ERBs Martian series, and we're keen to stay true to the sources and capture the feel of the sword-and-planet genre in a cinematic-style game.

Many folks seemed disappointed by the film. Any thoughts on what could be done to avoid the same pitfalls as we produce this RPG?

Remove ads