Forked Thread: Character Builder Beta available

BASHMAN

Basic Action Games
Forked from: Character Builder Beta available

Renshai said:
I honestly cannot fathom the statement about not installing .NET to use the Character Builder. I too am a .NET developer and the installation of the framework is, in most cases, fast and easy. Most people use it without ever realizing they even have it. The notion that this is some kind of Microsoft plot to make money through DDI is... well.. I can't say anything nice so I won't say anything at all.

The problem with me is .net framework-- it is that SP2 or SP3 are required to install .net framework. I tried about 4 times installing both SP2 and SP3 and everytime I do, the computer goes through the infinite boot cycle that won't end until I go into safemode and run system restore, thus losing SP2 or SP3. I've wasted 2 days trying to get this thing installed.

At this point I think downloading parrallels for my wife's Mac and running it on there would be easier!

mudbunny

Community Supporter

catsclaw227

First Post
I think his issue is that fact that XP requires SP2 and SP3 for the .NET framework 3.5.

He's having difficulty getting the service packs installed. That's a bigger problem, since these service packs are really essential security packs as well. You really should get this done ASAP, especially if you have an "always on" connection like DSL or Cable.

drothgery

First Post
Yeah, if you're running pre-SP2 XP, figure out why it's not installing, and fix it. Running pre-SP2 XP is a very bad idea. Don't do it. Even if fixing it involves buying a new cheap desktop with Vista.

Last edited:

darjr

I crit!
unfortunately it might very well be a driver incompatibility. You might have a piece of hardware that requires a driver that does not play nice with a particular thing in the service packs.

You can try and boot into a mode where it logs and shows you what each driver is it loads upon boot up, then you can see which one it breaks on. Then that could lead you to the hardware. I think, though, it's asking a lot of an end user to try.

Can you think of any funky hardware you have? Maybe try and remove it and it's driver and then upgrade?

Remove ads