Two Wizard Feats

PeelSeel2

Explorer
Spell Specialization - The wizard can choose to specialize in a damage dealing spell. Damage dice are raised to the next higher die type.

Spell Brutalization - The wizard can choose to specialize in a damage dealing spell. That spell is now brutal 1.

So far the first one has played very well. The second I am springing on my wizard player next session. I think he will like it.

fissionessence

First Post
That second one would make a pretty brutal magic missile . . . hehe.

Anyway, I really like these feats. Make a spell brutal 1 doesn't really work, but as long as it's a house rule, everyone would know what it means. Maybe I'll run these past my spellcasting players and see if there's any interest.

~

I think those are both excellent feats. Not so incredibly great that they are out of balance with existing feats, yet they do give the wizard a bit more oomph. The only thing I'd wonder about would be the effect of Spell Specialization on the more powerful AoE's. For example a Spell Specialization (Fireball) would up the fireball damage to 5d8, which is an average of +5 damage. That isn't SUPER nasty in and of itself, but when you consider that the wizard can often manage to clip 4 or more opponents, and probably hits 50% of the time, it is possible he could monster up a really whammy of a bonus from time to time.

Of course it is a pretty narrowly conditioned bonus. The only other thing to consider is "would it ever be worth taking Spell Brutalization if you can take Spell Specialization instead?" And I think the answer is pretty much an unequivocal "no". Magic Missile is probably the very best case for Spell Brutalization, 25% of your dice get boosted, so on average you do +.5 damage per hit, but Spell Specialization would do on average +2 damage per hit (d6 instead of d4). And ironically the two feats actually don't stack too well, since bigger dice gain less from brutalization, so it would be hard to argue taking both feats combined on one spell.

So, MAYBE Spell Brutalization needs a little thought. On its own I'd consider taking it to apply to an at-will like MM, but with Specialization in there as well the mechanics of it might need to be a bit different.

Remove ads