Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth remains quiet as the others speak their mind about the matter. The half-orc is somewhat confused; he thought that agreements and laws were the way of civilisation and none should break them, but here these folk say that in certain cases it is alright to break promises!

As for the natural world, it has a way of dealing with infections. Either the infection is contained to a relatively small group, or it grows too large and is eventually starved or eradicated by natural predators. In neither case does the druid see why he should interfere.

On the other hand... For maybe the first time in his life, Caerth feels comfortable with other people. Odd as they may be, these companions accept him and seem to value his presence. Of course, Aeron has also accepted the half-orc, but there has always been a difference in power and standing between them. There is no such difference between Caerth and Aureus, Phar, Quinn and Lorien.

In the end, Caerth decides not to argue further. He will join his companions, but he is not sure he will fight Hornauer if it comes to that. Perhaps it was the brief encounter with the sentient sword, but he is determined to follow his conscience from now on.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
Quinn stands stoically during the conversation, but there is just a bit of confusion in his heart. sending one away that was promised to be allowed to stay is not quite the right thing, but if that is what the lord of the land wants, he will comply.

Scotley

Hero
Phar smiles at his companion. It is good to see you smile my friend. We feared for you. Phar takes a moment to share what news he has. He speaks diplomatically, not wanted to distress his still viably ill friend with the sadder parts of his tale.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Phar smiles at his companion. It is good to see you smile my friend. We feared for you. Phar takes a moment to share what news he has. He speaks diplomatically, not wanted to distress his still viably ill friend with the sadder parts of his tale.
"Thanks Phar, and it sounds like you have to go back to that rock without me," Lorien sighs. "You can't wait. Aeron tells me that it will take a day to get to the fort, and I'll like be there for a few days."

"We not wait," Aureus replies. "But, we see you when we return here. Right?"

"I hope so," Lorien says with a smile. He pauses to think for a moment. "Personally, I don't think Hornauer had anything to do with Lord Ebal's death. You should try to talk to him without Sir Ghal around, if possible."

Lorien lays back, obviously tired.

"You rest, elf-friend," Aureus says.

He nods. "Good luck."

You all say your goodbyes before heading back down into the commonroom where Rosie has filled a pack with good food. Caerth notices that Aeron is absent.

Caerth remains quiet as the others speak their mind about the matter. The half-orc is somewhat confused; he thought that agreements and laws were the way of civilisation and none should break them, but here these folk say that in certain cases it is alright to break promises!

As for the natural world, it has a way of dealing with infections. Either the infection is contained to a relatively small group, or it grows too large and is eventually starved or eradicated by natural predators. In neither case does the druid see why he should interfere.

On the other hand... For maybe the first time in his life, Caerth feels comfortable with other people. Odd as they may be, these companions accept him and seem to value his presence. Of course, Aeron has also accepted the half-orc, but there has always been a difference in power and standing between them. There is no such difference between Caerth and Aureus, Phar, Quinn and Lorien.

In the end, Caerth decides not to argue further. He will join his companions, but he is not sure he will fight Hornauer if it comes to that. Perhaps it was the brief encounter with the sentient sword, but he is determined to follow his conscience from now on.
Quinn stands stoically during the conversation, but there is just a bit of confusion in his heart. sending one away that was promised to be allowed to stay is not quite the right thing, but if that is what the lord of the land wants, he will comply.
Sir Gareth wishes you well and says, "I wish I could go with you."

Several other citizens of Carnell, including the dwarven blacksmith Bronzethegn and the retired warrior Timmins, are waiting outside the inn to wish you good luck. The people have taken a shine to you all since you returned with Lord Pendour's body. The guard named Wieland is there too.

"Sir Ghal has asked me to perform his duties while he's gone with you," the guard says with a bit of pride. "He's waiting for you by the dock. Try to take that blasted wererat by surprise."

You have a bit of time to gather your thoughts and anything you'll need before heading down to the dock. Once you're ready, a few of the local children walk down the path with you to the old dock, which has been cleaned up, a lot. It seems Quinten Mohren is doing his dead uncle, Yorick, proud. He's busy preparing the launches while Sir Ghal speaks with Aeron. Three aged, veteran guards stand ready to board the launches.

"You here," Sir Ghal says. "Good. Aeron asked me to give you more time to decide, but I was just about to cast off. How is your friend?

"Better but tired," Aureus says.

"I should go check on him and Raius," Aeron replies. "Good luck to you all." He stops to give Caerth an encouraging pat on the arm. "Be safe."

He waits for Caerth typical response in these situations before heading back up to Carnell. He makes the children go with him.

"I've cleaned the boats," Quinten notes. "Try not to let them get soaked in blood and guts again, okay?"

"We will do our best," Sir Ghal replies. "But no promises." He heads to the lead launch and takes a position in the bow looking out towards Gurnard's Head. The day is crystal clear and you can see the high-point of the tower in the distance. Two of his guards step into the boat with him and take up the oars while the third steps into the other launch and takes one of the oars. The guard motions for Quinn to help him row and the rest of you to get in to one of the boats.

Aureus deftly steps into the second launch and shakes the man's hand before sitting in the bow with her back towards the other boat. Quinten unties the ropes Sir Ghal gives the order to start rowing for the rocky islet and the two launches begin to move away from the dock. With the good weather and strong rowers, it doesn't take any longer to reach Gurnard's Head than normal. You see no sign of rooks winging over the tower. The tides is low enough to allow for entry into the grotto. The sea has washed away much of the smell of the baby scrags you killed here, and the body that once laid near the stairs is now gone, as any signs of the sea goblins you fought.

Sir Ghal turns to Caerth. "So, where do we go to find this wererat?"

Last edited:

Scott DeWar

"I've cleaned the boats," Quinten notes. "Try not to let them get soaked in blood and guts again, okay?"
He heads to the lead launch and takes a position in the bow looking out towards Gurnard's Head. The day is crystal clear and you can see the high-point of the tower in the distance. Two of his guards step into the boat with him and take up the oars while the third steps into the other launch and takes one of the oars. The guard motions for Quinn to help him row and the rest of you to get in to one of the boats.

"I will do my utmost best as I do prefer my guts to stay inside me." says Quinn to Quinton. At the guard's request, Quinn takes the other oar.

JustinCase

Caerth merely nods at his mentor as they say goodbye. The half-orc knows that Aeron feels differently about the wererat, and Caerth cannot persuade him. Likewise, he knows that asking for the elder druid’s reasons is pointless, because obviously he needs to experience it firsthand, according to Aeron.

Caerth realizes that in his mind, he is starting to move away from being Aeron’s student. This brings a sudden feeling of regret, sadness, and anger.

Before the anger, summoned so easily due to his orcish heritage, can take over his mind and actions, Caerth turns awkwardly and moves to the boats.

Once aboard, he focuses on the others, not really listening but trying to distract himself from his inner turmoil.

It therefore takes a few moments before he realizes Sir Ghal has asked him a questions.

”We’ll lead the way,” he says, trying to sound cheerful. He is hesitant to give the creature’s location somehow.

Scotley

Hero
Phar takes his place in the boat. He has little to say as his mind is already on the coming encounter with the wererat. He has a far away look to his eyes as his mind is deep in thought.

Scott DeWar

Quinn keeps his head on a swivel while on the water. He wants no surprises like the sauguin from last time.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
"I will do my utmost best as I do prefer my guts to stay inside me." says Quinn to Quinton. At the guard's request, Quinn takes the other oar.
Quinten chortles with a grin.

Caerth merely nods at his mentor as they say goodbye. The half-orc knows that Aeron feels differently about the wererat, and Caerth cannot persuade him. Likewise, he knows that asking for the elder druid’s reasons is pointless, because obviously he needs to experience it firsthand, according to Aeron.

Caerth realizes that in his mind, he is starting to move away from being Aeron’s student. This brings a sudden feeling of regret, sadness, and anger.

Before the anger, summoned so easily due to his orcish heritage, can take over his mind and actions, Caerth turns awkwardly and moves to the boats.

Once aboard, he focuses on the others, not really listening but trying to distract himself from his inner turmoil.
Phar takes his place in the boat. He has little to say as his mind is already on the coming encounter with the wererat. He has a far away look to his eyes as his mind is deep in thought.
Quinn keeps his head on a swivel while on the water. He wants no surprises like the sauguin from last time.
The water is crystal clear during the trip, as well as in the grotto (like it was the first time). You don't see any signs of the immature scrags. Perhaps they have moved on or perhaps they are hiding.

You once again note the sunken rowboat at the bottom of the grotto with its two large chests. The lids are closed, but you can see a few baubles scattered on the rowboat.

The guard rowing with Quinn takes note of the chest with some interest. He looks at Quinn and asks, "Did you try for those chests?"

"Worry about that later, Elijah," Sir Ghal insists. "We're not here for treasure, but if we can help add to Lady Pendour's coffers after we have the wererat in custody, we will take the opportunity."

JustinCase said:
It therefore takes a few moments before he realizes Sir Ghal has asked him a questions.

”We’ll lead the way,” he says, trying to sound cheerful. He is hesitant to give the creature’s location somehow.
"Lead and I will follow," Sir Ghal replies. He falls in line after Caerth. "Balorix, you're with me. Elijah, take up the rear with Sir Quinn. Avanth, watch over the launches."

"Aye sir," the oldest guard replies. As Caerth and Sir Ghal lead the way up the stairs, Quinn notes the old guard making sure the boats are secure.

As you walk the winding staircase up towards the tower, everyone keeps an eye on the sky. But if there are rooks nearby, they don't attack. You pass by the hidden chamber where the skeleton archers had ambushed you, and where you found the remains of the mummified corpses in robes. The bodies are still there and Sir Ghal asks if they were undead.

"No, just dead," Aureus says.

Continuing up the stairs, you come to the exit onto the ledge where you had found Cruel Justice. Gurnard's Head stands before you once again. Looking up, you note the flagstaff where Lord Pendour's body had once hung. The scene is more serene than it had been, as there isn't a storm blowing overhead.

More notable is that the door at the top of the stone steps winding around the bottom of the tower lies open. You rmember that it had been magically barred when you had tried to open it. Now, it sits partially open and a light flickers inside.

"I told you not to come back," Hornauer's voice hisses from somewhere unseen. "You promised me. The tower is mine now!"

A dozen dire rats appear on the steps leading to the open doorway. "Leave, now, and I might show mercy! Stay, and your deaths will be slow and painful!"

Sir Ghal looks like he wants to say something, but he resists the urge. He calmly says to Caerth, "This is your chance to speak to him. Either talk him into surrendering, or I will order my men to attack."

He and his men reach for their blades but do not draw them.

"No, outnumbered. Retreat and wait to see if he comes to us," Aureus suggests.

"Go now!" The wererat yells.

Last edited:

JustinCase

Caerth clears his throat, then starts, uncertainly.

"We-- I do not wish to fight," the half-orc says, dropping his spear and crossing his arms in what he hopes is a sign of non-hostility. "We have come to talk to you, concerning another wererat called Odilos. Do you know of him?"

The druid hopes Hornauer is ready to talk and not fight. He hasn't quite figured out yet what he'll do if things do escalate, or if he should tell the lycanthrope that the guards intend to capture him.

OOC: I suppose that requires a Diplomacy roll? [roll0] *fingers crossed*

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases