Kulan: Knightfall's Heroes of Carnell Game [IC]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Aureus watches the scrags fall into the water where the first one is snatched up by the shark and torn to bits. The shark continues to circle in the water but it doesn't harry the group on the dock. It feeds on the scrags and eventually tears into the other dead juvenile, if left alone. After another minute, it stops circling and swims out of the grotto.

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Relieved the danger seems to be gone, Caerth sighs.

"Everyone alright?"

The half-orc will heal anyone who asks with his wand, tending the wounds if needed.

"What were those creatures?"

Scotley

Hero
Phar reddens slightly at the half-orc's superior marksmanship, but his wounded elven pride is overwhelmed by his pleasure at their victory. He considers his companion's questions. "I am well enough. As to those creatures..." he knits his brows in concentration.

OOC: [roll0]

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Relieved the danger seems to be gone, Caerth sighs.

"Everyone alright?"

The half-orc will heal anyone who asks with his wand, tending the wounds if needed.
"I'll live," Lorien replies with a sigh. He is more sore than hurt. "I still a cure spell, if something else comes up." The bard looks at the boat to make sure it won't sink and holds his nose at the smell of mixed goblin and scrag blood all over it. "This boat is going to need a good cleaning." The bard looks into the water to make sure there aren't any signs of more 'baby' scrags before he uses some of the grotto's sea water to clean off the worst of the ichor. The boat still remains a bloody mess.

Lorien also notes that the water in the grotto is rising. The opening into it will be blocked soon. "The tide is coming in, we need to go, now. Or we're going to be stuck here until it goes out again."

"What were those creatures?"
Phar reddens slightly at the half-orc's superior marksmanship, but his wounded elven pride is overwhelmed by his pleasure at their victory. He considers his companion's questions. "I am well enough. As to those creatures..." he knits his brows in concentration.
Phar remember's Quinn saying something about the sea-goblins, as the fight as going on. He had said the word koalinth, but the big man hadn't been able to go into more details before the melee became all-encompassing.

"Quinn called them koalinths," Lorien says.

Phar quickly remembers where he'd heard that name before. 'There are many types of goblins in this world, young Minvelepharadan. Hobgoblins, for example, are one of the most prolific on Kulan. They live almost everywhere, even in the seas.'

'There are see goblins?'
Phar remembers asking.

'Yes, hirao,' his teacher had replied. 'The hobgoblins of the sea are some of the most vicious of the breed -- the koalinth. Unlike the hobgoblins that live in Harqual's Far south, they are almost feral in their behavior and completely evil in their nature. Their hunters are terrible to behold. They wear makes made of bone or coral, and they are fierce in combat. One or two are a handful. A whole pod of them can be overwhelming.'

OOC: Hirao means student. (I might have mentioned this before, but I can't remember.)

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Phar's eyes flicker as he remembers. "Koalinth. Fierce seagoing kin of the hobgoblin. My old teacher spoke of them as fearsome feral warriors and I have to say he spoke true."

JustinCase

the magical equivalent to the number zero
Caerth shrugs.

"Nasty creatures. No reason to attack us."

The half-orc druid looks around to see if the boats are still capable of carrying the group.

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"That is what I remember the same, Phar". Looking at the arena warrior, it seems he was just barely scratched. "it took 4 of us in a water filled arena to take one down when all of us were standing in the water too. As you saw, they can become camoflaged when water

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Phar's eyes flicker as he remembers. "Koalinth. Fierce seagoing kin of the hobgoblin. My old teacher spoke of them as fearsome feral warriors and I have to say he spoke true."
"That is what I remember the same, Phar". Looking at the arena warrior, it seems he was just barely scratched. "it took 4 of us in a water filled arena to take one down when all of us were standing in the water too. As you saw, they can become camoflaged when water
"Hopefully, they won't come back," Lorien adds. "But I'll be glad to be off this island and back on the coast and as quickly as possible."

Caerth shrugs.

"Nasty creatures. No reason to attack us."

The half-orc druid looks around to see if the boats are still capable of carrying the group.
Caerth finds that the boat that brought them to Gurnard's Head is still seaworthy although the ichor from the dead scrags and koalinths has stained it a dark haze of grusome colors. It will be a smelly journey back to the pier on the beach near Carnell. Hopefully there won't be any more surprises. The other launch that the mercenaries stole is in better condition and less smelly.

The group places Lord Pendour's wrapped body in the bottom of the second boat and two scramble into it and three into the other and untie them from the dock. The opening to the grotto is shrinking as the tide comes in and soon all are rowing to be through the opening before you all have to duck your heads.

The two launches glides out of the grotto on the rising tidewater and all keep a wary eye out for the remaining koalinth and their shark allies. If they are out there in the sea, they are remaining hidden from view. The day turns to night as you follow the long, sinking sandbar back towards the beachhead and Carnell's pier. The cliffs of the Strandlands rise above you and it feels like forever since you've seen them, even though it has only been two days. The water becomes choppy as you near the beachhead.

As you approach the pier, your strokes with the oars become longer and more urgent. The time that Lady Pendour was given by her blackmailer is almost up. The tide has come in so far that the two launches easily glides up next to the long wharf. You tie up the two large boats and remove Lord Pendour's body from the second one. You all carry him on your shoulders, as an honor guard carrying the lord home.

At the end of the pier, you come to Yorick's old shack. Someone appears to have been reorganizing it. The webs from the sand spiders have all been cleared away and new timbers have been nailed up to replace the older boards that had been rotting. There is a wisp of smoke coming from the lone chimney on the side of building closest to the cliff-face.

Someone inside hums a somber tune of respect. Lorien doesn't recognize it but it is moving, regardless. He begins whistling it in time with the unknown person. The the humming stops.

"Eh, who is there?" A voice asks with a touch of concern. "If you're here to rent boat, you'll have to wait or come back. Both the launches are gone. One was taken by thieves while the other was loaned to some heroes who have gone off to Gurnard's Head on some mission." The person inside the shack seems to be moving around with a purpose. "They are due back soon, as I understand it. And if you're looking for my uncle, you will find his grave overlooking the cliff. And if you're here to rob me, you'll find me more than capable of defending myself."

The heavy burlap curtain covering the doorway parts and end of a short sword sticks out and then quickly disappears back inside. "Now, state your intentions or be off with you!"

Last edited:

Scotley

Hero
Phar smiles at the gruff greeting. "Well, I for one expected a more hospitable welcome upon returning not only the boat rented, but the one stolen. They do perhaps need a bit of cleaning, but otherwise are no worse for the wear." He raps the door of the shack with the end of his bow. "Now come and secure your boats lest the float away. We must return the body of the fallen lord of this land to its rightful home."

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Phar smiles at the gruff greeting. "Well, I for one expected a more hospitable welcome upon returning not only the boat rented, but the one stolen. They do perhaps need a bit of cleaning, but otherwise are no worse for the wear." He raps the door of the shack with the end of his bow. "Now come and secure your boats lest the float away. We must return the body of the fallen lord of this land to its rightful home."
The man behind the voice appears through the burlap curtain. His features don't seem to match the gruff voice you heard. He is barely into his thirties and his eyes are bright and lively. He still holds the sword in his hand -- a bit unsteady. He notes the body of Lord Pendour and then sees the launches.

"I - I am sorry for my rudeness," he says with a odd smile. He sheathes his blade and sighes in relaxation. "Sir Gareth told me to be wary while down here alone. And with night approaching, I didn't know what to expect. I am Quinten. Quinten Mohren. I understand it was you who killed the sand spiders that killed my uncle and helped with his burial. I thank you."

"While we never met him, the villagers said he was a good man," Lorien replies. "I am sorry for your loss."

"He was a good man," Quinten says while rubbing the back of his neck. "Although why he left this to me, I'll never know." He goes to inspect the launches. "Whoa, that's a terrible smell!" He backs away from the boat that was bled on by the scrags and sea goblins. "You ran afoul of somthing out there, eh?"

"Young scrags and so much worse," Loriens says with a sigh. "But we really need to go."

"Yes," Quinten replies. "Go ahead. And let Sir Gareth know that you brought back both boats. He's set aside a small reward for their recovery. I thank you."

He bows to them and goes back to his work.

It takes all of you to get Lord Pendour's body back up to the village. The way up the cliff is very steep and eventually Caerth and Quinn are forced to take turns shouldering the man's body. At the top, you find several people at the edge of the village waiting. A young boy points towards you as you approach with the fallen lord's body -- carried once again with dignity. Sir Gareth stands next to the boy along with the man you know as Timmins.

"You made it back!" Gareth says with vigor. "And just in time, too. The deadline is almost here. Did you find the key too?" He looks at Timmins. "We should give them a hand."

He and Timmins move to help take some of the weight literally off Phar and Lorien's shoulders.

"Thanks," Lorien says. He is near exhaustion.

Last edited:

Remove ads