A Rose In The Wind: A Saga of the Halmae -- Updated June 19, 2014

ellinor

Explorer
Part the 7x01

In which we finally meet Spyscribe's character

Crack. With every crack of the whip, Nyoko’s home felt farther and farther away. This time, the whip fell on one of the dwarves she was chained to. Next time it could be her. She was not sure she had ever been so dirty or so tired in her life. She ached to her bones.

She picked up a bucket of rocks. Crack. “Ow!” Noyko was positive that she hadn’t done anything wrong. There was no particular art to picking rocks and carrying buckets of scree from one pile to another. But then again, there was no rhyme or reason to the derro that had kidnapped her. Weeks ago, when they ambushed her on the road to Cauldron, she had assumed that they would ransom her back to the Adepts, but it quickly became apparent that they had no intention of doing so; they had not even asked where she was from. And now, after days of trudging through tunnels at the end of a whip, they had her breaking rocks. There were so many other things she was better at, if they had bothered to ask. So many things she could do for them—play the flute; perform acrobatic dance; sing the honored histories…if she only had a bow and some arrows, she thought, then they’d find out what she was really good at.

Nyoko closed her eyes for a moment and imagined. She imagined herself picking off these creatures two at a time with her bow. She imagined herself emerging into the daylight. She imagined returning to the compound of the Adepts back in Cauldron, being greeted by Lord Miyosho. She knew it was a dream, but it was such a good dream…

No, Nyoko thought, eyes open. An Adept must see everything, remember everything, and be prepared to testify. And even if I am stuck in this hellhole for the rest of my ever-shortening life, I am still an Adept. She opened her eyes and surveyed the scene as she carried the bucket over to the large pile of scree. Several derro, surrounded by broken furniture. Foremen at the center, ordering their underlings around. Underlings scurrying about. The room was larger than any she had seen in this derro warren, and seemed to be carved from a natural cave, with a wide entryway—

There. There was a woman peering in at the corner of the entryway. A heathen, clearly: red hair strayed from under her hood, making it obvious that she was not from the Sovereignty—and she looked as dusty and tired as Nyoko felt. But there was a fire in her eyes that Nyoko had not seen in anyone for days. She was free, Nyoko knew. That meant Nyoko had help. The woman signaled, a finger to her lips. Nyoko palmed a few rocks from the bucket and hid them in the folds of her tunic. Then the woman disappeared. Another head appeared at the entryway, briefly—a man’s head, also heathen. There was a sword at his side—a good sign, Nyoko thought. Then he disappeared.

Then nothing. Nyoko carried more rocks. Time passed. Five minutes. Five more minutes. Five more minutes. As her hope had risen, it fell. They were not coming back. Were they helping these derro?

###

Kormick stalked on past the doorway. There was not much back here. On the left, an empty room, with some sort of discoloration on the floor. On the right, a closed door—it seemed like the trickling sound was coming from behind it—and ahead, more hallway, heading into the darkness. There were drag marks on the floor, but no derro, and no sounds of prisoners. He returned to the entryway and reported.

“Alright, then,” said Tavi, “time to go in.” Corani and the other dwarves readied themselves for battle, and once again, Tavi instructed them to stay back by the doorway with Rose, out of immediate danger. “We’ll let you know if we need you,” he added. For once, Corani seemed almost mollified.

Tavi nodded to Arden. Her jaw was set, her eyes slit. She slid the door open, soundlessly.

###

It all happened at once: Two men barreled into the room, charging the derro foremen. One struck with a sword, the other with warhammers. The hooded woman Nyoko had seen before rushed in, slicing another derro with her shortsword. A warrior woman whirled past, her sword flashing and her armor actually shrieking in anger. A genteel-looking girl chanted, creating a blinding shaft of light. A bespectacled young woman shot energy from her hands. They were all heathens, but they were strong, and they had caught Nyoko’s captors by surprise. Derro were bleeding, stumbling.

But it didn’t last. The derro drew their weapons and surrounded the heathens. Four derro, then eight, then more, charging, screaming. It was chaos.

Then a roar came from the tunnel behind her, guttural, loud.

Nyoko knew that sound. It was Lurx. He was the head foreman, technically, but much more than that. He was large for a derro—almost the height of a human—and brutal. In her days in the tunnels, she had seen him order a slave killed for nothing more than tripping over her own shackles, and he had crushed one of his own men with his bare hands. Kettenek help these heathens, Nyoko thought, they don’t know what they’ve gotten themselves into.

Nyoko felt the dust move and smelled Lurx’s odor as he pounded past her and ran into the room. In battle, he seemed even more imposing than he had at the head of the chain gang. He was a good deal bigger than Nyoko, and his chest was bare, revealing a torso and arms built as if from bricks. When he reached the side of the room, he gave a great roar.

All the other derro froze.

Then they began to chant, beating their chests. Lurx! Lurx! Lurx! Lurx! Lurx!

He strode among them to the center of the room, glaring imperiously. Then he beat his fists against his chest and pointed at the heathens. The warrior woman’s armor let out a bloodcurdling yell.

The chanting continued. Lurx! Lurx! Lurx!

It was clear that the derro were demanding some sort of single combat, and the heathens, after some discussion among themselves about dwarven traditions, seemed to understand and—more surprisingly—to accept. The newcomers gathered around each other. The two men made hand signals at each other—the one with a sword held out his fist, and the one with the warhammers held his hand flat like a blade, parallel with the floor.

Warhammers said, “Paper covers rock. I’ll mop up.”

Sword said, “Oh. That’s how I’d want it, anyway.”

The heathens formed a circle around Sword. The girl prayed—how odd for battle that she prayed to the godling Alirria! Glasses chanted a spell of defense. Armor talked quite forcefully about the young man’s extensive training. Prompted by Armor, Hood gave some advice on dodging attacks. Then Warhammers clapped him on the back.

Sword stepped forward into what had become a large empty space in the center of the room, ringed by derro. His friends spread out around the room among the derro, uncertain looks on their faces, hands on their weapons.

The crowd backed away from the two fighters and, for a moment, all was quiet as the two began to circle each other. Lurx growled softly. Sword shifted his weight from foot to foot, his weapon at the ready.

Warhammers said, “I’m gonna miss that guy.”

jonrog1

First Post
I would like to note that Thatch and I, instinctively, broke into Rock-Paper-Scissors without even looking at each other at that moment at the table. In 20 years of writing comedy, I've never seen a more perfect bit of timing.

ellinor

Explorer
In 20 years of writing comedy, I've never seen a more perfect bit of timing.

That's saying something.

And I'd like to point out what I found even funnier about it: It's not just that Tavi and Kormick broke right into rock-paper-scissors...it's that there was nothing to rock-paper-scissors about. They wanted the *same outcome.*

Or at least that's what Tavi thought at the time.

;)

spyscribe

First Post
And I'd like to point out what I found even funnier about it: It's not just that Tavi and Kormick broke right into rock-paper-scissors...it's that there was nothing to rock-paper-scissors about. They wanted the *same outcome.*

Nyoko would like to point out that heathens are so weird. (But she's too polite to say anything.)

ellinor

Explorer
7x02

Tavi leapt into battle with Lurx, dodging and weaving. Lurx’s powerful derro body was compact and firm, and his vulnerabilities weren’t immediately apparent. But, as Mena was fond of saying, Tavi had trained for this. And if he’d learned anything in this underground labyrinth, it was that he was damn good at what he’d trained for.

Lurx swung his huge fist at Tavi’s shoulder. Tavi parried and dodged. But maybe that’s an opening. He hurled his sword at Lurx’s exposed side. The sword glanced off Lurx, ineffectual, but kept spinning and sliced one of the smaller derro behind the behemoth before returning to Tavi’s hand. Lurx sneered and then grinned at Tavi’s failure to connect.

Not what I wanted to do, Tavi thought, but now we’ve learned something important. As long as I’m going for the big guy, I won’t violate the rules of single combat if I hurt someone else. He unleashed his blade’s flame cyclone—burning Lurx a little, and turning the derro behind him into a screaming, flaming cinder. Phoebe clearly thought that was a good idea. Now we’re talking!

Phoebe’s encouraging voice joined a chorus of aid from his compatriots. Some of it was good advice, and some of it was just good for distracting Lurx, but Tavi was glad for all of it, because it kept Lurx guessing his next move. “Again!” “Don’t let him bring his arm down!” “Go for the hamstring!” “Kneecaps! Kneecaps!”

DM’s Note: So, this bit of gameplay was a little experiment. How long could I sustain single combat between one PC and a Solo monster? Yes. That’s right. Lurx is a Solo monster, who Tavi is fighting by himself.

Sort of.

See, in order to give the rest of the PCs something to do, I created a series of skill-challenge like actions that they could take. By using their skills to help Tavi, other players were able to give him bonuses to hit, to damage, or other various powers. I’ll post the complete rules in a separate post. But for now, it’s enough to know that those shouts of encouragement were more than just shouts of encouragement: they were combat bonuses.

Which were pretty sorely needed.

Among the chaos of derro and human voices, there was one new one, a woman’s: “He favors his right side!” Whoever that was, Tavi noticed, she knew what she was talking about. Tavi sent Phoebe flying around Lurx’s right side and spun around Lurx’s back from the left. Green flames burst from his blade and WHAM he hit Lurx smack in the face.

“Do that again!” yelled Savina.

###

Arden crept behind the circle of derro. Why the freepeople want to honor the rules of savages, she thought, I have no idea. But at least no one’s looking at me – which is just the chance I need.

The derro jeered and screamed, their backs to her as she slid along the wall. She stole a glimpse past them: Signor Octavian and Lurx were a blur of fists and fire, as a blast of light from Signor Octavian’s hand blinded Lurx, leaving the giant derro open to attack from his flaming sword. Lurx roared in anger and flailed wildly as Tavi ducked and thrust again.

Arden turned away from the fight when she reached the chained slaves. The Sovereign woman was in front. Several dwarves were chained behind her, farther along an incomplete passage leading away from the back of the room.

Silently, Arden knelt down and, for the first time on this journey, pulled a small but well-crafted set of lockpicks from their hiding place beneath her belt. With the ease and skill of one who speaks to locks as to a long and intimately studied enemy, she released the Sovereign woman from her fetters. What would Alleged say if he knew I had these particular tools . . .

The Sovereign woman gave a slight bow of greeting. “I am in your debt,” she said, below the din of the derro crowd. “I am Nyoko. ”

“I am Arden.”

“It is an honor to meet you, Arden.”

Arden smiled. Wonder if she’d feel that way if she knew what I was. Arden savored the feeling of being equals, two comrades on the battlefield. “Nyoko, can you fight?”

Nyoko nodded with the look of one who not only could fight, but wanted to. Arden was encouraged. “Can they?” Arden pointed to the dwarves in the passageway.

“Four are very frail,” replied Nyoko, “and frailer every day. And one is very young. But he has no shortage of energy.”

The cacophony of battle raged in the background. Over it all, Arden could hear Mena’s voice, tinged, Arden thought, with real concern: “Get up off your ass and hit him!”

Arden made her way down the narrow passageway toward the dwarves. They cringed away from her, and she winced: I’ve been there. The four older ones were as frail, and the young one as green and eager, as Nyoko had said. If they fled out of this passageway and into the battle area, they would be slaughtered. But they must be freed.

Arden approached them, and asked Nyoko to translate. “I can unlock you. You will want to run. You must not run. Will you stay here?”

Each dwarf nodded, mutely, in response.

###

“Hit him again!” Savina found herself screaming something that seemed very unlike herself. But as she watched a burst of flame erupt from Tavi’s hand, she wanted nothing more than to see him victorious. He looked strong and brave out there, with dirt shading his brow, sweat glistening in his hair, and fierce concentration clouding his face. “Again!” A flurry of swordwork sliced Lurx’s arm and back, but they barely bled.

Lurx swung his enormous fists with the force—and, fortunately, the accuracy—of a lumbering giant. Tavi dodged, backing away at just the right moments and feinting with his sword. Lurx bellowed and blustered as he reached down in a failed attempt to grab Tavi in his powerful arms. With every miss, Lurx became more and more angry. One of his blows connected with a discarded bookcase, which splintered to bits. Savina imagined if that bookcase had been Tavi’s ribs, and shuddered, and prayed.

###

Arden popped open the first three locks as if they had been left undone. It was like it had all been leading to this; she just tuned out the noise and did it. Three dwarven men, one elderly and two middle aged, stood in disbelief, still apprehensive of their new liberty. Next was an elderly dwarf. Behind him, the boy was jumping up and down as best he could, his chains rattling, as he fired questions at her in dwarven. Arden tried to communicate to him with her eyes: be patient. Soon.

The fourth lock wasn’t so easy. She fumbled a bit as the yelling and screaming leaked into her mind, and memories of harder locks leaked in with memories of even harder times. Eventually this one opened too, and she looked up to see the face of the dwarf she had freed. His face was deeply lined, his beard shaved to shame him.

Arden stood up and gave him the same steady look she had given the others, to keep him from running. Like them, he did not move, only shook and looked down in disbelief, and raised his arm slowly as if to prove it was truly disconnected from its chains. Arden pointed to herself. “Arden,” she said.

The dwarf blinked.

“Arden,” she repeated, pointing again at herself.

“Romek,” the dwarf replied, his eyes wide. Then he knelt at her feet.

His fear and subservience were too familiar, too hurtful. It shocked her worse than if he'd pulled a blade and gutted her. Inside herself, she was screaming—Don’t do that!—but when she opened her mouth, she was speechless. Even if she had known dwarven, she would be helpless to know what to say.

###

“You’re wearing him down!” Kormick yelled.

Encouragement had never been Kormick’s strong suit, but he figured “You’ve been hammering away at this guy for ages and he’s barely even bruised and his increasingly belligerent compatriots outnumber us three to one” wasn’t really going to do much for morale. “You’re wearing him down” seemed like a better choice.

A burst of flame from Tavi’s sword singed Lurx’s hair and Tavi whirled around to avoid another blow from the behemoth, backing into a derro foreman in the process. Tavi had done a good job of avoiding Lurx’s powerful blows, but bruises were beginning to rise where he’d been buffeted by the crowd, and he was flagging. Tavi stumbled, giving Lurx a chance to move on to the high ground provided by a pile of scree.

As Tavi swung, Lurx suddenly shifted left, grabbing Tavi’s arm and twisting him around in a bone crushing bear hug. With a great roar, Lurx lifted Tavi up above his head and hurled him across the room, directly toward Kormick. Tavi landed at Kormick’s feet and did not move.

DM’s Note: Don’t let the Solo Monster hit you with a crit. While using an action point. And a minor action follow up. Don’t do that at all.

The derro crowd went crazy, screaming, banging their swords against their armor and cheering.

Get up, kid, thought Kormick. You know you want to.

Lurx stood over him with a look that said “You want some more?”

He’s gonna get up, thought Kormick.

Kormick could hear Savina praying, and could see the color rise in Tavi’s cheeks.

“Off your ass, NOW!” yelled Mena.

Tavi stumbled to his feet.

“Go get ’em,” said Kormick, giving Tavi a friendly push.

Tavi took a couple of swings at Lurx, moving more like a drunk trying to impress his friends than the expert Kormick knew him to be. The fall had taken its toll.

Tavi tried to head for the high ground, but Lurx’s fists were in the way. Kormick winced as two punishing blows folded Tavi like a rag doll. Then Lurx picked Tavi up again and threw him again, this time into the center of the circle.

Tavi was unconscious.

The derro cheered wildly, banging their swords against their armor, banging their fists against their chests. Lurx! Lurx! Lurx! Lurx!

“TAVI!” Savina’s scream rang out across the room.

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
The following are the solo-combat rules we used during the Lurx fight. DCs are tied to the party's level at the time (Level 2)

Solo Combat
One player fights Lurx in single combat. As a standard action, other players may shout encouragement by making various skill checks.

All checks receive a bonus equal to the number of Healing Surges the player involved in the combat has remaining.

All checks receive a cumulative -1 modifier for each subsequent time an individual player uses the same skill. EACH PLAYER MUST TRACK THEIR OWN PENALTIES.

Available skills:

Endurance (DC 15): 3 successes in a round earns the fighter an extra healing surge

Acrobatics (DC 15): 1 success lets the fighter shift 1 square as a Minor Action (limit 1/round)

Insight (DC 15): 1 success gives the fighter a +1 bonus to 1 defense for the next round (limit 1/round)

Perception (DC 15): 1 success gives the fighter a +1 bonus to attacks for the next round (limit 1/round)

Intimidate, Heal (DC 15): 3 successes gives the fighter an extra +1d6 damage to one attack the next round

Arcana, Athletics, Religion, Stealth (DC 15): 1 success allows the fighter to spoof one of your powers as an extra Standard action, as if they had spent an Action Point (limit 1/round).

The fighter rolls using your stats with that power. This counts as your power’s use for the encounter. You roll Arcana for Arcane powers, Religion for Divine powers, and Athletics or Stealth (player’s choice) for Martial powers.

Note: The fighter’s background must allow them to use the power source in question. For example, Mena, who has no arcane abilities, would not be able to spoof an arcane power. Similarly, Twiggy, who has no martial prowess, would not be able to spoof a martial power. However, Jan, though technically a martial character, has established arcane abilities—he would be able to use martial or arcane powers (possibly divine powers with a negative modifier).

Additional Actions:

Push (Athletics)- if either combatant is adjacent to you at the end of their turn, you may attempt to push them 1 square. Make an Athletics check: DC 10 pushes 1 square, DC 15 pushes 2 squares. Adjacent players may Aid Another on this check; nearby players may shift 1 square if it will make them adjacent. Remember, forced movement does not provoke opportunity attacks.

Powers- at any time, you may use any of your powers as normal. Remember, doing damage to one of the combatants or other observers is forbidden by the rules of combat (combatants are allowed to do indirect damage to observers, however).

Last edited:

StevenAC

Explorer
DM’s Note: Don’t let the Solo Monster hit you with a crit. While using an action point. And a minor action follow up. Don’t do that at all.
Words for us all to live by, there... :eek:

The next two chapters (5 and 6) of the Collected A Rose in the Wind Story Hour are now available here -- enjoy! :)

ellinor

Explorer
7x03

“TAVI!” It was all Savina could do to stop herself from running into the middle of the circle to the fighter’s side. But instead, she prayed. As she prayed, she could feel Alirria’s warmth course through her. Tavi’s eyes blinked open and, slowly, he began to push himself up.

Lurx puffed his chest and roared. The derro crowd cheered, beating their swords against their armor. In the din, Savina could hear their allies. Twiggy was chanting a spell. Mena was barking what Savina supposed was encouragement, her armor hissing and sputtering and roaring with intimidating fury. Zirkai was berating Tavi for being slow to rise. Where was Arden?

As soon as Tavi was on his feet, his sword ignited. A burst of flame caught Lurx and the derro behind him. But Lurx still had the high ground.

Kormick’s voice boomed from beside Savina. “He’s above you! Now’s the time for the femoral artery!”

“Slice his balls off!” screamed a voice from across the room. It came from a Sovereign woman. Savina hadn’t noticed her before. Where had she come from?

“Who is that enchanting creature?” Kormick quipped.

Savina didn’t have time to marvel at Kormick’s gallows humor—or, apparently, his romantic preferences. Although Alirria had given Tavi renewed strength, Lurx was giving him quite a beating.

From his place atop the pile of scree, Lurx had pushed Tavi into a small crowd of derro. Tavi’s hummingbird flew out of the crowd, confusing Lurx for a moment, and Lurx smashed one of the derro, nearly killing his own ally. It gave Tavi the chance get in one more good strike before Lurx shoved him to the ground with a massive, crunching punch. It hurt to hear.

Tavi was unconscious, again.

###

The last set of shackles was the dwarven boy’s. “Thurran?” Arden asked. A dusty head bobbed up and down in assent. He tugged at his restraints, clearly itching to pull free.

Arden looked around for help in communicating with the boy. Nyoko, who had translated before, was too far away and too close to the fighting to be any help. Her Sovereign voice rang out as loud as anyone’s: “Now you’ve got him!” “Hit him harder!” “Slice him good!”

Arden tried her best to express to Thurran that he should stay here, in the passage, where it was safe, but she knew it was a losing proposition. Arden positioned herself in the tunnel between Thurran and the fighting, fixed Thurran with a stern look, and popped open the shackles. He pushed forward toward her, then against her . . . but did not pass her. As long as she was blocking the way, he would not force himself through. They would both have to watch the battle from here.

###

Zirkai was really starting to piss Mena off.

It would be glib to say that berating Tavi was Mena’s job, but by the Cursed Bitch, it certainly wasn’t Zirkai’s. Yet there was Zirkai, harping from the sidelines as if she could do it better.

“Let me at ’im!” Zirkai slurred. “I’ll show you some real fight!”

Then Tavi went down, again. He lay just a few feet from Mena. Just out of reach.

Mena gripped her sword in frustration and anger. The derro were in near-riot conditions. Their little band seemed almost out of options. She knew it was not yet the right time, tactically, to break out of single combat… but is it the only time? Her body tensed as she prepared to rush in.

Mena was torn from her quandary by the piercing voice of Zirkai. “Lemme help!” she screamed, from the other side of the circle. Zirkai pushed and shoved at Savina. “Lemme go! Now!” Zirkai kept yelling, pushing. Savina, stunned, let her pass. Zirkai began jostling her way around the circle toward Mena.

“Lemme through! I can help!” Zirkai sounded almost lucid now, as she forced herself through a knot of derro. By the time she reached Twiggy, she had some momentum. Twiggy added to it, with a shove on the back. Kormick pushed even harder. By the time she reached Mena, Zirkai was almost airborne.

Mena grabbed Zirkai, pulled her forward, and planted her in front of Tavi.

Zirkai leaned down and yelled, inches from Tavi’s ear. “GET UP! GET UP YOU LAZY BASTARD!”

And something amazing happened: Tavi got up.

And he got up strong. This time, Tavi’s sword swung true, and hit twice, once on each of Lurx’s enormous arms. Now Lurx was starting to bleed, and finally, finally, beginning to show some small signs of slowing down.

Zirkai kept yelling. “Oath breakers! Scum!”

That didn’t help. Lurx had Tavi in his grasp again, and threw him again—this time, Tavi landed directly on top of Mena and they rolled in a tangled heap. It made Mena hurt, and it wasn’t a good idea to make Mena hurt.

“You okay?” She asked, as she helped Tavi up.

Tavi swallowed hard and looked over to the corner where Rose stood in front of the crowd of dwarves. “Still going,” he replied.

Mena steeled Tavi with a look of cool preparation. “Remember your training,” she urged. “Use your environment. All of it.” Tavi looked around, nodded in understanding, and without another word, pushed off against Mena and barreled across the ring, hurling himself into Lurx so hard that it pushed Lurx against the electrical moss on the wall. Then he stepped back and swung his sword, and its green flame married with the green electricity of the moss and Lurx—finally—shook with what looked like pain.

When Mena recovered from the shove, she turned to Zirkai, who was still screaming her head off.

“You will never call that boy lazy again,” she said, calmly.

“OATHBREAKERS! HOMEWRECKERS!”

“Shut. Up.” Mena said, and slapped Zirkai across the face.

For the first time, Zirkai shut up.

###

Arden thought it would feel better, unlocking the dwarves. And it did, mostly. She’d chosen to free the slaves. Whatever happened next, she’d done that. Thurran was vibrating with excitement behind her, and she understood his feeling. She shared it: She'd claimed a moment of freedom, which, as always, left her feeling strong and craving more—

—but she would need to remember to address the boy as Master Thurran now. And she would need to learn Nyoko's title and use it scrupulously. She touched the bracelet on her own wrist, the one shackle she couldn't remove. They were free, but she wasn't. So it didn't simply feel better, unlocking the dwarves. It also felt wrong.

She heard Nyoko’s voice, across the room, addressing Signor Octavian: “Keep pushing!” She felt Thurran's small hands against her back as he fought to contain himself. They did this to Thurran, to the others, she thought. They forced us to wade through blood to stop them. And we're following their rules of combat? It was wrong.

Everything about this was wrong. And it wasn’t even over.

Arden peeked through a space between the derro, and what she saw put the finishing touch on her anger. Signor Octavian—bruised and battered in a way Arden had almost never seen in a freeperson—sliced at Lurx’s side as Lurx raised his arm. Lurx was hurt, but nothing like the young Signor. Arden knew death’s door intimately, and this well-intentioned kid had stood under its lintel for too long already. Lurx let out a bellowing roar, swung his powerful fist, and punched. The Signor staggered back. Unconscious. Again.

That was it. This needed to be over, now. Arden pulled the shortsword from her belt and stabbed the nearest derro in the back. It tumbled forward into the circle, dead.

###

There was a brief moment of silence—ever so brief—as the derro in the circle realized what had happened.

Then all hell broke loose. Derro stopped pounding their armor and began stabbing at the nearest heathen. Hood was the first to get hit—she had started it, Nyoko supposed—and Armor, Glasses, and the Alirrian girl weren’t far behind. The derro fought with the manner of those afraid of their attackers, and they were right to be: Sword had gotten up three times from unconsciousness, and had made Lurx bleed. Now they would see what his friends could do. Armor’s sword sliced one of the foremen; Glasses chanted a spell; the Alirrian girl prayed. Two derro shook and collapsed.

Suddenly, the young dwarf—Thurran—came hurtling out of the passageway, screaming and letting loose a barrage of rocks that seemed larger than himself. Nyoko witnessed it, although it seemed unbelievable: the rocks hit four derro in the heads with such force that they fell, bleeding, to the ground. They weren’t so outnumbered anymore . . . and less outnumbered by the minute, as two more fell, batting at some imaginary foe in the air.

DM’S Note: That would be the use of Thurran’s Daily Power, by the way…”

Warhammers stood in front of Lurx, held his hammers in front of himself, and said a word: “Elizabet!” Raw energy crackled from between the hammers, shooting out toward Lurx and then on toward the green moss. Lurx trembled from the energy of the blast and the moss at once, but Warhammers was not done—in a single motion, he hooked his hammers back on his belt, pulled out two crossbows, took a step back, and fired two bolts straight into Lurx’s chest. Lurx staggered back, batting at the crossbow bolts, finally showing weakness.

There’s my opening. Nyoko grabbed a rock in one hand and a shortsword from one of the fallen derro, and whirled into the center of the circle. I don’t know you, but sorry, she thought, as she stepped on to Sword’s unconscious body and pushed off, propelling herself into the air and slicing at Lurx’s neck. The sword connected with a satisfying swish.

“We really need to win this fight,” she said, as she landed next to Warhammers. And is that a holy symbol under his robe? she thought.

“Really?” he replied, “I was thinking we could just call it a tie and move on.” He let loose another crossbow bolt. It hit.

“I am tired of teaching you your place!” Lurx bellowed at Nyoko, reaching down toward her. She somersaulted from his reach, but he came after her again, grabbing, crushing. Suddenly, she was up in the air, then hitting the wall . . . pain screamed from her joints and she could feel the warmth of blood against her temple.

Armor planted her feet and her armor hissed at Lurx. “You’re tired? Really?” She lifted her sword above her head and brought it down across the body of the last remaining foreman. Blood poured from his chest as he fell.

Lurx staggered back to the center of the room, where the Alirrian girl was kneeling over Sword. “You!” he roared. Sword’s eyes fluttered open. Lurx reared back to swing . . . and the Alirrian girl brandished her holy symbol. “Alirria!” She yelled. “Lend us your might!”

Alirria? Might? What a strange turn of phrase, Nyoko thought—but as the girl yelled, the cave itself seemed to tremble in response and ray of light burst from the Alirrian holy symbol, engulfing Lurx in blinding light and knocking him backward. With a great cry of anguish, Lurx fell to the floor, finally, still.

Warhammers approached the body and poked it with his toe. Then he shot the dead body with a crossbow bolt.

“I like how you think, Honored Justicar,” said Nyoko.

babomb

First Post
“Slice his balls off!” screamed a voice from across the room. It came from a Sovereign woman. Savina hadn’t noticed her before. Where had she come from?

“Who is that enchanting creature?” Kormick quipped.

Warhammers approached the body and poked it with his toe. Then he shot the dead body with a crossbow bolt.

“I like how you think, Honored Justicar,” said Nyoko.

Kormick and Nyoko: a match made in heaven? :p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases