A Rose In The Wind: A Saga of the Halmae -- Updated June 19, 2014

Ilex

First Post
11x03

Excerpts from the notebook of Jan Kormick

April 16
13 days of food
Terrain: Mountainous.

Setting out from the ex-Spring back toward the road. To recap, the following are still miraculously not dead:

(1) Pampered city girl and entourage (consisting of brother, tutor, and lady-in-waiting who is better at creating apocalyptic fireballs than cutting hair). Pampered city girl is unreasonably depressed about ex-Spring despite being (as aforementioned) not dead.

(2) Pampered city girl #2 a.k.a. dangerously naïve yet mysteriously inspiring Alirrian and entourage (consisting of murder-slave whose haircutting abilities remain untested because of the following arithmetic: murder-slave + dagger + neck = cut throat, not close shave). #2 is also more depressed about ex-Spring than we might expect from a girl who has just communed with an angel of her Goddess.

(3) Pampered city girl #3 a.k.a. Nyoko, a Sovereign performer-slash-archer-slash-law-related-person of some sort who is obsessed with hot baths in her hometown of Cauldron. Sensibly not depressed about ex-Spring, however.

(4) 6 adult dwarves (2 pregnant).

(5) 5 dwarf kids (1 seven-year-old leader of his clan, 3 toddlers, 1 infant).

(6) Me.

Food is going to be a challenge. So is covering distance. We've made some sledges to help carry the kids, and the dwarves are game, but it's tough going.

Nyoko especially had a hard time hiking today (is the ordeal she's been through finally catching up with her?). Arden had a hard time, too – boot saga continues.

April 17 10 days of food (dwarves=ravenous bastards)
Terrain: Mountainous. Again.

Urgent boot update: generous gift of fancy enchanted boots now causing fewer blisters for slave's infinitely tender feet. May all the gods be praised.

April 18 7 days of food
Terrain: Three guesses.

Rough day, though irritatingly everyone else seems less tired than me. Sleep now.

April 19 4 days of food.
Terrain: Devious as a snitch.

Never before have I wished that a mountain range had kneecaps.

Remember how our map from the Questors is decorated with pretty blood-red X's indicating trouble? Yes, we were approaching one of those. I was up front with Savina, keeping my eyes open for trouble. We were in a lightly forested hanging valley carved out between a couple of ridges – there was still some snow on the slopes above us, but we were tramping across gravelly soil with patches of bare granite interspersed with green grass and budding trees. The place was quiet except for birdsong and Savina rhapsodizing about the nature of springtime. There was no sign of danger, in other words, until we went to pick up our feet for the next step and discovered that the rock had other ideas. We were sinking: it was quickrock. As the lady-in waiting explained with maddening simplicity: “like quicksand, but rock.”

Kormick hollered a warning, Savina shrieked, but it was too late: the rest of the party had walked into the quickrock, too, and everyone was sinking – slowly but inexorably.

"Honored Justicar!" cried Nyoko, close behind Kormick. He twisted his body to see her balancing like a dancer with one leg sinking and the other held above the surface, bent delicately, toe pointed. "Your hands?" she asked.

Kormick laced his fingers together and she put her free foot into his hands. Bracing herself, she backflipped out of danger, landing on solid ground. The movement drove Kormick deeper into the quickrock – But at least one of us will survive, he thought grudgingly.

He grabbed for a tree limb above his head, but it snapped off in his hand. "That one's dead," explained Savina, struggling nearby. "You need green ones. Like that one – and there – and there – " She pointed to several overhanging limbs, all helpfully out of Kormick's grasp.

Arden, however, followed her mistress's finger, grabbed a strong limb, and pulled herself up onto it.

There were blinking flashes as Rose and Twiggy fey-stepped out of danger. Kormick felt an old wistfulness for the magical skill he didn't possess. So many times that trick would have come in handy back at the Academy, he thought. The promise of so many pranks unfulfilled… and the promise of not drowning in this double-crossing rock…

Mena wrestled her legs through the rock by sheer force and slogged her way toward a tree until she could fall forward, grab a root, and drag herself out. "Walk out!" she yelled. "This is a ridiculous way to die! Walk!" Tavi lunged after her, pressing through the rock. Kormick did the same, aiming for one of the overhanging branches that Savina had indicated. The harder he pushed, the faster he sank, and it was close – I'm either going to grab that limb with my fingertips or miss by the length of my thumbnail – but he made it, grabbing the branch with one hand and hauling himself inelegantly up into the tree.

He jumped down to the ground and saw that Savina had lost at the same game – she'd tried to push her way toward a branch, but by the time she arrived, she'd sunk too deep to reach it. Kormick expected her to burst into tears, but instead he saw her swallow hard and then – incredibly – look around to check on everyone else. The dwarves were all in trouble. Thurran was near the edge of the danger zone, but he was too little to help himself. Nyoko climbed a tree close to him, edged out on a branch, and swung herself down until she could grab his hand and pull him out.

Savina called out, "Corani! There's a root near you! Reach for it!" Her tone was strong, even commanding, and Corani appeared to obey without thought. Kormick wondered what kind of mental resources the Alirrian priestess was channeling – not only is she not panicking, she's taking charge. He also wondered how he could help her, but he was on the wrong side of the quickrock.

Twiggy cast mage hand, and the infant dwarf floated out of Sertani's arms and into Twiggy's. Sertani, once she'd seen that the baby was safe, looked around for her own options. Kormick strode along the edge of the quickrock, grasped a likely looking tree trunk, and leaned out to grab her hand. He pulled Sertani to safety.

Across the patch, Tavi did the same for one of the toddlers while Arden made her way out across the tree limb that Savina could no longer reach. Hooking her legs over the branch, she swung down, grasped hands with her sinking mistress, and then squeezed her eyes shut with effort as Savina clambered up her body onto the tree branch, then reached down to help her up.

Nyoko, meanwhile, tied a rope to an arrow and fired it into the rock near Vorret, the middle-aged ex-slave. Nyoko bound the other end of the rope to a tree; then she began preparing a second arrow with a second rope.

Vorret, however, ignored the rope that had slapped into the rock next to him. Instead, he struggled to reach Romek, the oldest of the ex-slaves, who had sunk up to his waist and was muttering irritably at Romek in Dwarven – Kormick didn't know what the old guy was saying, but he had a bad feeling that it was something infuriatingly heroic along the lines of "Leave me, save yourself."

"Grab the rope!" shouted Mena, but Vorret shouted back and kept fighting uselessly toward Romek, sinking deeper with each motion.

"There's a rock near him!" cried Savina, pointing, and then shouted instructions to Romek in Dwarven. The elderly dwarf turned, but the rock was several feet away, and his exhausted face showed resignation, not determination.

Arden jumped from the tree she was in and landed in the next tree over. She stepped out on a limb that Kormick, thanks to Savina's earlier tutelage, could guess was brittle.

"No, Arden!" cried Twiggy, seeing the same danger. "That branch is no good!"

Arden ignored her. "Dame Mena, please tell Vorret to take the rope. I'll get Romek." She eased her way farther out over the quickrock until she was almost over Romek's head.

Mena translated, and Vorret darted his eyes from the rope, to Arden, to Romek, unsure – but at least he'd stopped struggling.

Arden lay down along the branch, grabbed hold with her legs and one hand, and extended her other arm to Romek. He raised his hand to grasp hers. The branch gave a crack as it took his added weight, but it didn't break. With a strained cry, Arden tugged, Romek grabbed her arm with his other hand and pulled, and – another crack – suddenly they were both on the shivering branch, and somehow it hadn't broken.

Nyoko shot ropes to all the remaining dwarves, who pulled themselves to safety. Vorret hauled himself out, and with that, they were all standing on the edge of the danger zone, covered in quickrock that was drying and flaking off like gravel.

Kormick and Twiggy scouted the edges of the quickrock patch, and everyone helped pile up rock cairns to indicate its danger for future travelers. Bet the Questors will whine about us giving away the surprise death-trap, Kormick thought, but he had to believe that any self-respecting Questor would rather be killed by a sycamore in a fair fight than dragged helplessly underground to eternal oblivion.

They camped nearby, too tired to travel farther that day. Kormick, Nyoko, Savina, and Twiggy went foraging, although Savina held back briefly, her eyes on Tavi. "Do you want to come, Tavi?" she asked.

"I'd better stay with Rose," he said. Savina nodded with transparent disappointment, the poise she'd commanded during the crisis now absent. Ah, youth, thought Kormick, when nearly drowning in traitorous granite is so much less agony-inducing than the presence of a young man of ambivalent intentions.

Rose looked sad when Kormick, Tavi, and the others left. She still looked sad a few hours later, when they returned with new ingredients for the chef Mertal's creativity. Kormick was both unsurprised and unimpressed. If Rose was going to refuse to consider the merits of his Good/Bad chart, he wasn't going to argue with her. Like Savina, she was a teenager. She had unreasonable priorities.

Mena, however, foolishly dove right into Rose's misery. "How are you holding up?" she asked, as they all settled around the campfire that night.

"Well enough." Rose stared into the fire.

"What's bothering you?" This question earned Mena an "isn't it obvious?" gaze from Rose. "Of course, I know," continued Mena, "but what is it specifically, tonight, and how can we fix it?"

Rose shrugged. "I am simply concerned about the costs."

"What costs?" demanded Kormick, forgetting his resolution to leave the unreasonable girl alone. "Do you not remember the chart? The only cost was the spring. Or are you seriously suggesting that I move 'dead derro' over into the costs column? Because I must disagree with you on that point."

"They were still living beings," said Rose.

"But they asked for it," Kormick heard Arden mutter to Twiggy. He agreed, but Mena silenced him with a look and turned to Rose.

"There was no way there wouldn't be costs," she said. "Sedellus doesn't allow free wins. And doing nothing would have had a greater cost."

"I knew that," answered Rose, "but I didn't understand it. Now I can't stop thinking – how much worse will it get?"

"I don't know," said Mena. "But my promise to you stands."

What promise? Kormick wondered. Judging by everyone's suddenly raised eyebrows and curious looks, he guessed he wasn't alone in wondering.

Rose, however, offered no further clues. "That's something," she said.

"It won't come to that," Mena declared. "You have a goddess on your side, don't forget. And this group of good people is on your side. That says a lot for you."

Rose nodded and fell silent.

April 19 Addendum.

Remind me never to have teenage daughters. Or, at least, never to have sensitive-hearted teenage daughters who are under curses from the Goddess of Death and therefore legitimately entitled to their depressing fatalism much as I may wish they would look on the bright side once in a while.

Markcrew1

First Post
unbelievable truth!

Awwww. My players are the best obsessive, non-rich people in the world... ;)

Can't wait to see how you guys write it all up.

For the curious among you, I will share three teaser-like facts:

1) Roseanna is Giovanna's daughter

2) Giovanna... is Lira

3) The events described above actually happened in one of the last sessions of the original Halmae Campaign

This, you see, is why it's sometimes good to leave a few dangling plot threads unresolved...

Unbelievable truth! I could not even dare to think Giovanna - wow, oh!
Mark
my blog

Ilex

First Post
11x04

Nyoko was looking forward not only to hot baths and a return her home, but also—at an admittedly more shallow level—to new clothes. Her current garments had so far survived the initial assault by the derro upon her caravan … enslavement in the mines … battle with the undead … and now near immersion in quickrock. Truly, it was a testament to their maker that they had survived all that and still managed to fulfill the most basic requirements of modesty and rudimentary protection from the elements. Luckily, in the middle of the wilderness, basic modesty and some warmth was all she really required of her wardrobe. At least the heathens didn’t expect to see Adepts always perfectly dressed and coiffed, with immaculate face-paint and complete symbolic adornments. On her last posting, Lord Orijo’s people so often behaved as though they had caught her naked if she answered the door to her chambers with her hairpin askew. As though we sleep like statues, she thought, with mental eye-roll.

And if these heathens failed to grasp the true solemnity, or even purpose, of her role as an Adept –could they really be blamed, when she looked as shabby as they did? In unconscious habit, Nyoko’s right hand reached up to touch the tattoo on her neck. There was a reason why Adepts wore their oaths on their skin. I am an Adept. They cannot take that from me while I live.

And I am alive, Nyoko reminded herself firmly. Some days, that's adept enough. With that, she felt better, and cheerfully traded ruminating on her own situation for studying the behavior of the heathens as they walked along through the forest.

Savina was preoccupied by something. That much seemed obvious from the evidence: the girl's eyes were directed aimlessly into the trees, and she nearly stumbled over a root as Nyoko watched her. Savina caught herself gracefully, but soon her eyes had drifted off again. She wasn't picking up her feet very much, either – a sign of tiredness that, in addition to her apparent mental preoccupation, aggravated the risk that she'd trip again.

Mena and Twiggy were whispering about something. The whispering soon extended to encompass Arden, who mostly listened, nodding. Then Mena made her way up the line of hikers next to Tavi, tapped his shoulder, and whispered to him.

Soon, the only people not included (besides the dwarves, who were walking in their own group a few paces behind) were Savina and Nyoko. Savina, Nyoko hypothesized, hadn't even noticed the conference. Nyoko found herself sorry to be left out, though she understood that these heathens still thought of her, ironically, as the foreigner.

Then Twiggy was at her elbow, whispering. "Nyoko-san, we're planning something special tonight. It's Savina's birthday. We're going to have a party, somehow. Do you – " she hesitated suddenly. "Wait – you do have parties in the Sovereignty, don't you?"

Nyoko cocked an eyebrow, thinking of Hiroshi's wild drumming in the Adept dormitory while Aya and Kiku danced and Akio taught her a surprising new technique in a dim corner on the last night before she'd left …

"Yes," she said mildly. "We have parties."

"It's Savina's sixteenth birthday," Twiggy added. "Normally there'd be a huge event to celebrate her coming-of-age."

"A year early?" asked Nyoko, then caught herself as a dimly remembered bit of information surfaced in her brain. “No, it is different for you, yes?”

"Yes, when you're sixteen, you're an adult … at least where we come from."

"Of course," said Nyoko, filing away this detail anew. "In the Sovereignty, legal adulthood begins on the seventeenth birthday. Naturally, I should be pleased to play music if we pass some likely looking reeds from which I may construct a flute. It will be crude, but … "

"That would be lovely," said Twiggy. "Don't tell Savina," she added, unnecessarily.

Nyoko found the reeds.

That night, she caught a wink from Twiggy and, on cue, began to play a cheerful tune as Arden and Mertal, the dwarven chef, walked up to Savina, Arden carrying the cook-pot and Mertal a bowl and ladle. Mertal dipped stew into the bowl and presented it to Savina with a flourish.

"Happy birthday, young lady!" he proclaimed.

Savina gasped delightedly. "I didn't think anybody knew!" she said.

"We may be out in the wilderness, but we're not completely uncivilized," said Twiggy, grinning, as she crowned Savina with a wreath of wildflowers.

Mena gave Savina a warm hug. "Happy birthday, young woman," she said.

Rose hugged Savina next. "Welcome to being sixteen," she said. "I can't say adult responsibility is all it's cracked up to be, but it's definitely… something." She gave Savina a wry smile.

"I – I'm learning that," Savina answered. "I was thinking today … I can't believe that a couple months ago I was only worried about dresses and dance cards." Rose squeezed her hand.

Tavi stepped up, his hummingbird flying figure eights above his head, and handed her small blue object. "It's an Alirrian holy symbol," he explained. "Twiggy helped me weave it from grass, and Phoebe found berries to dye it."

"I – oh – thank you, Tavi!" Savina was beaming. Tavi leaned in quickly, kissed her on the cheek, and walked away, leaving Savina speechless.

In a flash of inspiration, Nyoko lowered the makeshift flute from her lips and spoke up. "This," she announced, "is a traditional Sovereign dancing song." She raised the flute again and played the sprightly opening notes of "The Waltz that Pleased the Lord of the Junction of Three Rivers in Springtime."

Tavi, well-bred gentleman that he obviously was, knew what to do. He turned back immediately and held his hand out to Savina. "Would you honor me with your first birthday dance, Signora?" he asked. Savina nodded, glowing, and stepped into his arms. They twirled gracefully around the campfire. Nyoko played on, happy that her own little coming-of-age present to Savina had succeeded so well … even though the girl was technically still a girl for another year under Sovereign law.

Mertal and Ordren soon joined in, and the dwarven children cavorted happily around the two couples.

Rose suddenly stood and walked over to Kormick. "Goodman Kormick," she said, "may I request the honor of a dance?"

Nyoko nearly missed a note; she had to fight back a squeak of laughter at the Justicar's surprise. "Oh, no no," he said. "I don't dance – "

"I happen to know that they teach dancing at the Sorcerers' Academy," said Rose dryly.

"I did not have the greatest of success at the Academy, you know."

"It’s not exactly theoretical thaumaturgy. You just dance. It's a party, and you're the only adult male here besides my brother. So… lucky you."

"It is smarter to be lucky than smart," Kormick observed. He stood up, took Rose's hand, and led her into the firelight. They joined the other dancers, and Nyoko was somewhat startled to see that the Justicar, for all his protests, was an acceptable dancer. Not, by any means, a good dancer – a rank amateur by Adept standards – but acceptable.

Later that night, as Arden finished laying out the dreamy-eyed birthday girl's bedroll and Kormick and Tavi prepared to stand the first watch, Mena came up to Nyoko. "Thank you," she said softly. "It was good to see Rose having fun."

"It was my pleasure," answered Nyoko with a small bow.

Excerpts from the notebook of Jan Kormick

April 21
3 1/2 days of food
Terrain: Mountainous.

Most of us slept late, and we decided to take the day off. I went foraging with Mena, Twiggy, and Arden – we had good luck.

Later, Savina and Tavi took off on a "walk" together (many smiles and knowing winks behind their backs as they vanished among the trees) … but the would-be lovebirds came back separately. He was aloof and she – despite her best efforts to hide it – looked like a kicked puppy. Someone should tell that boy to man up and give in to his baser instincts when a pretty girl looks at him that way. Duty is duty, but a little fun won’t bring the world to an end.

—Usually. Obviously, there are exceptions.

But of the women in our group, Savina isn't the most likely to become the apocalypse. Just saying.

April 22 12 days of food
Terrain: See above re: Mountainous.

Uneventful hiking day, but an interesting development. I cannot have failed to convey the bizarrely restrained nature of these kids of late. Rose is moody; Tavi displays unnatural self-control in the face of a teenage Alirrian seductress … yet above and beyond these examples of human dourness stand Dame Mena and Arden, both of whom can go days without a crack in their implacable icy masks of grimness.

So imagine my surprise when I heard laughter from Mena and Arden, just out of sight in the trees at the rear of our caravan. By the time they came into sight, they were silent – Mena grim-faced and Arden humbly solemn as usual. But like a frozen stream in winter – there's life under there somewhere.

Stranger still, after our evening meal, Mena jumped up and started cleaning the dishes – and Arden sat back and let her do it. Savina asked what was going on, and Mena said she was giving Arden a break.

I've got a theory: Mena lost a bet. An Undian knows, yes? And the look on Arden's face was not, shall we say, unlike the edgy satisfaction of a rascal who put all her copper coins on a scrawny excuse for a horse that somehow, against all odds, made it to the line first.

April 23 9 days of food
Terrain: Could it be…? Yes…?? Mountainous! Have a gold piece, you're very smart.

Long, steep day.

April 24 6 days of food
Terrain: Urrghh.

Today while foraging, Savina told me, very sincerely, "In some ways, you're very nice."

So there you go.

Later, came back to camp to discover Mena, Arden, and the dwarven ex-slaves sitting around the fire chattering away like old friends, Mena translating. The group broke up quickly as we foragers returned. A shame that Arden and the ex-slaves have ceased their game of "I'll bow lower!" "No, I'LL bow lower!" "Oh, however am I to keep up with your magnificent subservience?!" … because that was hilarious.

April 25 7 days of food
Terrain: Dare I say it, not entirely mountainous.

Yesterday while foraging, Nyoko spotted a path leading by easy stages down a valley toward plains beyond, which we can glimpse occasionally below us through the trees. We took that path today. About time.

April 27 9 days of food
Terrain: Meadow in valley.

Second day in a row of rest (for me), while many of the others hunted and plucked plants, etc. I am unspeakably satisfied with my choice.

The girls took turns bathing in the stream, Nyoko styled Savina's hair – the Sovereign is more skilled at waiting on ladies, it seems, than our Hennan lady-in-waiting – and nearby, Tavi and I put our feet up by the coals of the fire and dozed in the sun. Not a bad day to be Kormick.

April 28 13 days of food
Terrain: Grasslands.

We finally made it out of the foothills and down onto the grassy plain. Naturally, that also means we have come close to another of those red Xs on the Dangerous Map of Danger: the Xs that indicate "This way to the spiraling madness."

We did spot a rockslide in the distance, but so far, that was it.

April 29 10 days of food
Terrain: Grasslands.

The most danger we've faced today is that I twisted my ankle. I am deeply suspicious that the Ketkath is going to let us get away this easily… but just maybe …

Ilex

First Post
11x05

The next day, Savina awoke hopeful. She was sixteen, and it was a new day. She touched her short hair, and remembered its solemn symbolism, but still, she felt more optimistic than she had in weeks. Sure enough, not long after they set out walking, they saw the river, a shifting gleam near the horizon across the plains. Along its banks, still lost to sight, was the main road from Lord's Edge to Cauldron. Another day of walking would bring them there.

Kormick stomped along and muttered that certain death unquestionably lay hidden like a thief in the grass between them and the road. Arden kept glancing edgily back toward the area of the distant rockslide, and Mena stalked forward with her hand never leaving her sword hilt… but Savina felt herself relaxing. The river in the distance gave her hope. So did Nyoko's exciting descriptions of Cauldron, with its exotic markets and steaming baths. The party had decided to travel with Nyoko as far as her home city, where she'd promised them the hospitality of her order while they decided upon their next move.

But Savina didn't only feel hopeful because she could glimpse safety – and creature comforts – in her future. She felt hopeful because of the past, too. The last time she had seen the river, she had been a girl in silk slippers. Since then, she had learned how to forage and hunt in wild lands, how to sleep through normal woodland night noises and start awake at dangerous ones. She had learned how to stand up to a Justicar. She had learned that sometimes, defending life required taking life, and she had learned that such facts could be accepted, though never comfortably. She had also opened her eyes to new aspects of her goddess – not just the friendly Alirria of the Temple's beautiful gardens, but the untamed Alirria of trees so tall they blocked the sun, of an endless thundering waterfall out of a mountain lake, of thorny vines and electrical deer, of an angel rising out of a sacred spring to speak prophecy in the midst of battle. Savina's girlish silk slippers were long gone. Now, she was a woman in worn boots.

Surely, she thought, in defiance of Kormick, Arden, and Mena's pessimism, we've proven we can handle the worst that can happen. The rats, the orbs, the apes… the tree … the tunnels, the derro, the undead priestesses … the battle of the spring … Tavi ….

Tavi had rejected her. She'd taken hours to gather her courage to ask him directly if he liked her. She had dared to think they were far enough from home – from family obligations and diplomatic demands – to think, just a little, of pleasing themselves. Tavi had simply shaken his head and said that he couldn't risk compromising his duty to Rose with other distractions.

"Well," Savina had answered, fighting for words through an internal storm of sadness, embarrassment, hurt, anger – I'm a "distraction"? – does that mean he doesn't like me at all…? If I were prettier, would he…? If I were more like Dianora…? Her cheeks burning and her heart hammering in her ears, she had pulled herself together as best she could and made herself meet Tavi's eyes. "If you ever change your mind," she'd said, "you know where to find me."

Yes, they'd proven they could handle the worst the Ketkath could throw at them.

And, as it turned out, she was right. It took them two days to get there, because they paused once more to hunt for food, but on the first day of May, their bedraggled party scrambled triumphantly down the embankment onto the hard-packed road. They were greeted by suspicious looks from a trio of traders who spurred their horses faster and were soon lost to sight around a bend. A little farther away, travelers on a barge working its way down the river stared as well. Savina waved. They didn't wave back.

"Let me check once more to be sure," said Kormick. "Are we confident no one's dead? No one's missing a limb? Ensorcelled? Suffering from rat bites? Oak madness? Gout? No? We are truly all standing here in decent health?"

Even Rose smiled. They'd made it.

Sertani, the dwarven matriarch, spoke up. "I believe that this is where we part ways."

"Where will you go?" asked Savina.

"My family and I will travel from here to Lord's Edge along the road."

"Do you have sufficient funds?" asked Mena.

"Our family name will probably allow us to claim some credit," Sertani answered, failing to disguise a little uncertainty in her voice.

Savina was quite sure she knew how to solve that particular problem, and she was also quite sure that she wasn't going to let Kormick stop her. "You should have some of the derro's gold," she declared. "It's yours as much as ours."

She glanced defiantly at the Justicar, but Kormick, for once, was not rolling his eyes at her. He really does understand justice, deep down, Savina thought. She gave Sertani gold and gems worth two hundred gold pieces.

Corani stepped forward with uncharacteristic humility. “Thank you for stopping when you saw the smoke from my fire. We could not save my husband, but saving Zirkai and myself . . .” she patted her belly, so swollen that it seemed she would give birth at any moment. “This will be the second to last of his children.”

Savina put a comforting hand on Corani’s shoulder. “May the Goddess bless you and bring health to the entire Rockminder clan.” Corani smiled.

Kormick stepped forward to face Thurran. The little boy drew himself up straight and tall and grinned proudly at the Justicar.

"It's been an honor to serve with you," Kormick told him, as Savina translated. "I look forward to visiting you Rockminders in twenty or thirty years to see what you've made of yourselves."

Thurran attempted to answer with due solemnity. "I look forward to your visit," he said. "But you could come – sooner – if you want."

Kormick grinned. "I'll do my best," he said, and clapped Thurran on the shoulder.

Finally, as the dwarves shouldered their packs, Arden walked up to the four ex-slaves. With Mena as her translator, she said, "May you fare very well. Thank you for – thank you for showing me honor. Thank you for everything."

"We would follow you, you know," answered Vorret.

"And I thank you for that, too. But I would have you go home to your own people."

"You may contact us through the Rockminders."

Arden smiled at them, a sincere, friendly smile without irony or subservience. "I'll never forget you," she said.

The dwarves bowed. Arden nodded her head in response, turned, and walked away. With a shuffling of packs and a few last calls of farewell, the dwarves began their march back to Lord's Edge. Savina and the others stood and watched them for a long moment.

"My best guess is that we are near the midpoint between way stations," said Nyoko softly, in deference to the solemn mood. "We can reach the next by nightfall."

Quietly, they turned their backs to the dwarves and set off. The hard, even surface of the road felt both alien and familiar under Savina's feet – like a memory from her childhood – as they walked west into the sunlight, toward The City in the Cauldron of the Lord’s Sleeping Fury.

ellinor

Explorer
12x01

As they walked westward, the trees lining the road rustled in the wind. Twiggy admired their newly-grown leaves. Beeches and maples, mostly, some pines, some mangroves by the river, and that tree that looks like cedar, but has cones like a cypress… Part of her was glad to be back on the easily-traveled road—“The Follow Road,” they called it, abbreviating its sentence-long Sovereign monstrosity of an official name—but part of her missed the wilderness, where her knowledge of nature had won her the group's trust and respect. On the road, Twiggy knew, I’m a lady-in-waiting again.

But you are a lady-in-waiting, Acorn reminded her.

That’s not the point, Acorn.

Before leaving the forests, the group had (with Nyoko’s guidance) adjusted their appearances to be less conspicuous. Twiggy had prestidigitated away the adornments on Savina’s armor; Mena’s armor had (reluctantly, but silently) shifted itself to obscure the Defiers’ symbol on its breastplate. With those precautions taken, Twiggy was surprised at how little attention the group drew on the road. They were certainly an unusual group—several “heathens” traveling with an uncharacteristically disheveled Sovereign—but if their little cadre attracted particular notice, none of their fellow-travelers showed it. There were two kinds of people who travel the road, Nyoko had said: “those who look down their noses, and those who just look down.”

Overall, the road was well-tended and scenic, following the twists and turns of the river. They passed long placid stretches and violent rapids. They made decent time, reaching a small inn in the early afternoon. The inn had no name on the door, just a Sovereign symbol—seven linked rings arrayed in a circle. Two young men, each wearing a longsword and a dagger, guarded its doorway. Nyoko explained that this was normal: State-owned way-stations like this were located all along the Follow Road, roughly a day’s travel apart from each other. The military kept them safe from the dangers of the surrounding Ketkath.

After a brief discussion, the group decided to put off the remainder of the day’s travel in exchange for kitchen-cooked food, a real bed, something resembling a bath, and the knowledge that they’d reach an inn a day from here on out.

As they walked in, the two soldiers eyed the group suspiciously. “Honored Adept,” they said in near-unison, bowing. Although they allowed the group in, their eyes flashed between the tattoo on her neck—a prominent indicator of her elevated status—and her distinctly non-Sovereign cohort.

The proprietor of the inn had a similar reaction. “It has been some time since we had an Adept at our little establishment,” he began, as he rose from his bow. “Will you and your . . . companions . . . be joining us for the evening?”

Nyoko did the talking as Twiggy looked around. The inn had a large common room, sparsely populated by a few off-duty soldiers. She was sure the room would fill up with travelers as evening fell. The proprietor showed them up to a large bunk-room containing ten straw-filled cots.

“Is this suitable, Signor Octavian-San?” asked Nyoko.

Cots! Straw-filled! Twiggy marveled at how something so humble could seem like such a luxury. A month and a half of cloaks on the ground, and she wants to know if it’s suitable. A far cry from the feather-filled pillows at the Estate, but still . . .

“It will do,” replied Tavi, with a slight smile.

It was simple, and clean. The idea of spending a night without bugs crawling through her hair made Twiggy feel giddy—and not just through the empathic bond she shared with Acorn. She sat, tentatively, on the edge of a cot, afraid that if she laid down, she would fall right asleep.

I was promised a bath, Acorn reminded her.

Before bathtime—and more importantly, before the two remaining beds in their room were filled—the group divided the gold and valuables among themselves, so no single pack contained everything. Savina, who had been carrying most of the wealth, distributed it to everyone except Arden.

“What about Arden?” asked Mena, simply.

“It is true that Arden cannot own property,” Twiggy said, thoughtfully, “but she can carry it.”

Savina barely looked up. “That does not mean she should.”

“Why shouldn’t she?” asked Mena. “She has risked her life for it, as we have.”

Savina seemed puzzled. “But that’s her job.”

To Twiggy’s surprise, Kormick jumped in. “Her job is carrying the tent and cooking the meals, no? And yet she has also been killing and bleeding and binding wounds with the fabric of her own cloak.”

Savina looked unconvinced.

“Would it not be safer if she took a share?” Twiggy continued, trying a different line of logic. “No one will think to look in the bags of a slave.”

Savina relented, handing Arden a pouch of gold and gems. “Keep it safe,” she said.

“Yes, Blessed Daughter,” responded Arden, burying it in her pack amongst the cooking implements.

Arden had sat quietly throughout the discussion, and did not betray any emotion now. She is a part of the group, Twiggy thought, and has risked life and limb as much as any of us. Why should she not be treated as a free person?

Because she’s not a free person, Acorn responded, as if it were the easiest thing in the world. Now about that bath…

The bath was far from opulent, but it had warm water. Twiggy lingered until the water became cold, soaking her muscles and feeling the places where the derro had cut her.

Acorn very nearly refused to get out.

By the time everyone had bathed, two Sovereign merchants had arrived to fill the remaining cots, and the group (each now careful to secure their valuables) went to the common room to eat. As expected, it had begun to fill with merchants and travelers.

The food was adequate, if (to Twiggy’s palate) unusually spiced. It did not, however, come with silverware. In a tone and manner usually reserved for small, slow children, Nyoko demonstrated how to use the little sticks to lift the food. It wasn’t that hard for Twiggy, but not everyone took to it. Tavi eventually resorted to stabbing the pieces of meat with the ends of his sticks, and Arden discreetly picked up bits with her fingers. Nyoko shook her head and sighed.

“That symbol above the door,” Twiggy asked between bites, “what does it mean?”

“The ringed circle is the symbol of the Sovereign state,” Nyoko explained. “There are seven rings—The Adepts, the Inquisition, Borders, Peerage, Military, Lands, Priesthood—and they are arrayed in a circle. The Priesthood is up the circle from the Adepts, and the Inquisitors are down the circle . . .”

“Sovereign government is an example of how to induce bureaucratic gridlock,” interjected Mena, amiably. “Every group has power over the two below it, ensuring that no group can ever attain absolute authority—and keeping all the major players so busy plotting against each other that they can’t plot against the system itself. Makes the Pol Hennan system look straightforward.”

If Nyoko was offended by the characterization, she didn’t show it.

“Where does the King fit in?” Twiggy asked.

“He’s not a King, he’s the Lord High Regent, may his reign be long and prosperous,” Nyoko reminded her. “He is the final Arbiter of Kettenek’s will on Earth, and the spiritual successor to Rikitaru.”

It was obvious that this was going to require a good deal more explaining. But before they had a chance to get further into it, the innkeeper approached.

“Honored Adept,” he said, again eyeing the group with suspicion, “may I inquire as to how you came to be here?”

His question was filled with layers of meaning, but Nyoko answered straightforwardly. “I had a misfortune on the road. I was attacked. These people helped me. Now I am returning to Cauldron.”

The innkeeper was clearly deeply offended by the idea that someone might attack an Adept, and offered to use the military personnel stationed here to send a message ahead to Nyoko’s order in Cauldron. She accepted his offer, and—in an apparent show of gratitude—reluctantly agreed to his request that she entertain those in the common room.

“I would be happy to perform,” she protested, “but you must understand that I cannot be properly dressed. I was robbed on the road. I do not have my ceremonial garments or adornments.”

“We have no adornments to offer you,” replied the innkeeper, “but will be . . . pleased just to hear your music, honored Adept.” His speech was more halting than before, but still inviting. It was clear that he would prefer her to wear proper attire – whatever that was—but whether it was because of tradition or because he was appalled at the idea of someone robbing an Adept, Twiggy could not tell. Nyoko smoothed her hair back into a ponytail, straightened her robe, and walked to a small platform near the corner of the room.

The evening passed quietly, as Nyoko played the flute and sang, her melancholy tunes telling tales of travelers, nobles, heroes.

After dinner and tea and some small glasses of very pleasant dessert wine, they retired to the room and tucked themselves into the soft safety of their cots. Arden and Mena stayed up to keep watch. Although why we’d need to keep watch at an Inn, with soldiers stationed at the door and people in the rooms around us… Twiggy thought, as she drifted off.

ellinor

Explorer
12x02

Mena enjoyed being on watch with Arden, and she knew that Arden enjoyed it, also. Being on watch meant they could talk, or laugh, or share a quiet moment. For all the fuss made about Arden being a slave—slavery. What an arrogant, Bitch-favored instition—Arden had more sense than most. Maybe it was that she wasn’t a teenager. Maybe it was the weight of whatever secret she seemed to be keeping. Mena glanced at Arden across the room. Yes, keeping a secret, though she does it well. I wonder what it is. But she wouldn't find out tonight. Tonight—being indoors—was by necessity a “quiet moment” night.

Until there was a clacking noise at one of the windows. Clacking, then chittering, like insects. Arden heard it first and pointed silently to the place where the sound originated. Mena stepped closer to the window and saw what looked like a large beetle. A very large beetle. Mena had seen smaller lapdogs when the Pol Hennan fashions ran to canine accoutrements.

“Nyoko!” she whispered, touching the Adept softly on the shoulder. Nyoko stirred awake. “Nyoko—” Mena pointed at the giant bug on the window-frame “—is that normal?”

“No,” said Nyoko. “It is definitely not normal.”

So much for a quiet moment.

“Everybody up!” Mena hollered, as the clacking grew louder.

Suddenly, the window broke, and it seemed there were bugs everywhere. They swarmed into the room through the window, through cracks in the walls and the floor, underneath the doorjamb, like a great tide of clicking, chittering jaws and probing legs…

And they were all heading straight for Rose. Just like the rats, Mena thought, as she stomped and swatted. The wildlife in these mountains needs a firm talking to. The beetles were surprisingly resilient and—GODSDAMMIT!—they bit. Hard. Mena stabbed a large beetle with the point of her sword and it burst. There. Much better. “Kill them!” she shouted. “Remember the rats!”

Twiggy—who had been swatting angrily at her covers—sat up in her bed and concentrated. An orb of force formed before her and flew toward the beetles, mowing through several on its way out the window. Goo from the beetles flew everywhere. “Ew! Ew! Ew!” screamed Savina, flailing wildly at her bedclothes. The two Sovereign merchants cowered in the corner by the window, quivering and crying. They haven’t trained for this, Mena reminded herself. I shall try not to hold their uselessness against them.

Rose, her eyes wide as she found herself surrounded by beetles, disappeared for a moment, teleporting to the inner corner of the room. At once, the swarming beetles changed direction to find her. But now, there were friends between the bugs and her. At first she froze in alarm as she watched new bugs appear through cracks in the floor and the wall behind her. But as they began to climb into her hair and dress, she began to sweep away at them with her hands. She was obviously struggling—and succeeding—to avoid killing them as she swept them away.

Of course, the bugs took no note of her mercy. One squeezed past Whisper's protective wings and bit Rose on the neck. Then they came more furiously, and one on the wall spit some sort of fluid at her face. She yelped in pain. Another bit her, and she cried out: “I can’t move!” Mena surged towards the girl but couldn't get past the bugs to reach her. "Hold on, Rose!" she yelled.

Nyoko batted at the bugs with her bow as they spit at her, as well. “Acid!” she cried, crushing the bugs around her. Kormick pounded several with his warhammer. But still, they kept coming, chittering, snapping, swarming over the cots. Mena felt the immobilizing poison seize her, and she fell over, now as useless as the wimpering merchants still cowering untouched in their corner. Beside her, Arden was knocked prone as well. Rose cried out and climbed atop one of the cots as more of the giant beetles reached her, spitting their acid at her face and arms. So some bite, some have acid, and some immobilize, Mena recapped, inwardly. Very clever, Twilight Lurker.

“Alirria, protect us!” Savina cried. The girl was pressed against a wall, next to Tavi, brushing at her skirts in disgust—but with that prayer, Mena felt her strength return. She and Arden stood up at once, surrounded a swarm, and dispatched it.

Suddenly, Twiggy stood up on her cot and erupted in flame. The room paused for half a moment in mid-battle. Well. That's a new trick, Mena thought. “Stop it stop it stop it!” cried Twiggy, in a rare show of petulance. The flames spread out from behind her like a great cape, and swept across the room, setting fire to the straw beds, the walls…and the bugs. With sizzling pops, the smaller bugs exploded, and several larger ones flipped over, seared and helpless. She chanted another spell, and several of the beetles seemed to become disoriented, moving in circles. It seemed for a moment that it might be over.

“That cleared the field a bit,” said Tavi—but there were still more coming, through the floors and the walls. In one fluid move, he thrust his sword into the bunk he was standing next to and disappeared. Instantly, he appeared again, where Rose had been. “Oh!” exclaimed Savina, as Rose appeared beside her. The beetles changed direction again, but there were fewer now. Kormick bashed at a large one—it was still on fire from Twiggy’s fire shroud—and Mena, Nyoko, and Arden stabbed anything that moved. One large beetle burst as if from nowhere on the wall behind Rose, and bit her hard on the neck. Rose fell, kneeling, on the bed, and the beetle clattered to the floor. A shower of feet stomped on it and it burst.

To Mena’s relief, Savina immediately turned to tend to Rose’s neck, and the wound seemed to be healing. In fact, it seemed relief might be in order more generally: Mena cold not see any more movement, but it was hard to tell anything, with the two merchants screaming in the corner. She turned a savage gaze on them. “If you can't be useful, be quiet!” she barked, and they complied. She resisted the urge to assign them the nicknames “Whiny” and “Useless.”

But it did, indeed, seem like the emergency was over. The curtains and bedclothes smoldered, and the air was acrid with smoke and sweat.

Two soldiers appeared at the now-splintered door. One coughed and glowered, muttering, “should have expected something strange, such a large group of heathens . . .” The other began to inspect the wreckage. “What in the world—“

Nyoko stepped forward and addressed the soldiers. “We were attacked by bugs. We rebuffed them.” An understatement, thought Mena, but true.

The soldiers nodded—almost bowing—and their demeanors changed immediately. “Thank you for witnessing, Honored Adept,” said one, and the other offered their own barracks to all the residents of the charred room. Nyoko accepted, graciously.

Mena thought she was finally beginning to understand what, exactly, an Adept does.

As they pulled their things together, they asked Nyoko whether she had heard of anything else like this happening along the Follow Road.

“Strange events are hardly uncommon on a road that borders the Ketkath,” responded Nyoko, “but this is not natural, even for the Ketkath.”

Twiggy agreed. “It must be some sort of magic. We should look it up when we get to Cauldron.” She paused. “There are libraries in Cauldron, aren’t there?”

“Yes,” Nyoko replied, sighing, “there are libraries.”

Everyone returned to their packing. “The rats were near the road as well,” Arden said to Mena, as they were walking from the room. “It must have something to do with the road. Something knows we’re here,” she suggested.

“Something indeed,” replied Mena. She and Arden exchanged a grim look but said no more for now.

As they walked to the barracks, Mena overheard Savina talking with Rose. “Do you think we can get our money back?” Savina asked.

“You saw what we left of that room,” replied Rose, with a wan smile. “What I think is that we should tip the soldiers who are letting us stay in their barracks.”

They spent the remainder of the night in the soldiers’ barracks with Whiny and Useless.

###

In the morning, as they purchased small packages of dried meats and fruit for the day’s journey, the innkeeper was still flustered from the events of the night before. “I cannot explain it,” he kept saying, over and over.

Nyoko distracted him with a question. “Any news of Cauldron?”

“Nothing of note,” he replied. “Or nothing important enough to make its way out to our little post.”

“What of the health of the Lord High Regent?” Nyoko continued.

“He is well attended by Lady Akiko-san. May Kettenek the Life-Giver continue to watch over him.”

Nyoko heard Savina-san whisper, a few feet away, “Kettenekthe Life-Giver?” Nyoko knew she’d have to explain, later.

They set out on the road, making a good pace. Around noon, they passed a cart of merchants carrying Sovereign clothes and makeup. Nyoko was relieved to see that they had something that would pass—inelegantly, but adequately—for the robes and makeup of an Adept. She felt a certain vindictive joy at being able to purchase new robes with gold retrieved from the derro.

The day passed quickly. As they walked, Twiggy-san resumed her interrogations about Sovereign forms of government. Nyoko explained, as patiently as she could, while Twiggy fired questions and Kormick scribbled furiously in his notebook. The Lord High Regent is the head of the government. He lives in The Blessed and Most Holy City Marked By the Lord’s Divine Favor--Divine Mark—the capital of the Sovereignty. He is old, but we pray Kettennek will continue to keep him in good health. His heir is Lady Akiko Nori. Now, she is the head of the Inquisitors. When the Lord High Regent dies, may his reign be long and prosperous, Lady Akiko-san will take his place. And so on.

“And what is his relationship to the rings and the circle?” Twiggy asked, for what seemed like the third time.

“He is the final Arbiter of Kettenek’s will on earth.” There is a song about that, Nyoko thought, humming inwardly. They probably wouldn’t appreciate the nuance.

“So… he’s not in one of the rings,” Twiggy asked.

“No. He is concerned with greater matters,” Nyoko answered. “The Affirmation, for example.

“You’ve used that word before,” Twiggy pressed, “but I still do not know exactly what you mean.”

Nyoko observed again, inwardly, how little these heathens seemed to know about the Sovereignty. “The Affirmation. It’s short for ‘The Decree Affirming the Divine Nature of the Saints and Allowing their Just and Legal Worship.' This was years ago. The Lord High Regent issued the edict that legalized worship of Alirria, Ehkt, and Sedellus. It was a significant change in the law. The Lord High Regent appointed Lady Akiko-san to enforce the edict, which was not met with universal pleasure by many in the Priesthood and Inquisition.”

“So he put his daughter in charge of the Inquisitors?” asked Twiggy.

“No,” Nyoko clarified, “Not exactly. Lady Akiko-san was a commoner who rose to great achievement in the service of a noble who was close to the Lord High Regent. When that noble died, Lady Akiko-san swore fealty to the Lord High Regent and became his trusted right hand. He named her as his successor and as leader of the Inquisition. It is a great honor—and an inspirational theme for poets and composers—but also a difficult role in these times.”

“These times?”

Nyoko nodded. “There remains some opposition to the Affirmation.”

They reached the next way-station shortly before nightfall, and dined. This time, Nyoko tied together the tops of Signor Octavian-san’s chopsticks, as one does with a child, and he had little difficulty. Arden was another story: Although Savina had ordered her to learn to use them, the joints in her fingers—weakened from being broken long ago—simply would not cooperate. Nyoko asked the innkeeper to bring a spoon. Arden smiled.

That night, Nyoko performed, wearing her new robes and traditional white makeup. Everyone is more comfortable this way, she thought, as she sang the great histories and tales of brave travelers.

Excerpt from the official report of Nyoko to the Adepts of the Lord’s Favored Arts:

After the second night, we traveled along the Follow Road for two weeks. We stayed in way-stations each night. On our fourth night on the Road, there was a small altercation between a Thanean man and a dwarf. We were not involved. In all other respects, the journey was unremarkable.

The land became more and more familiar to Nyoko as they crossed a small bridge and began the steep climb up to The City in the Cauldron of the Lord’s Sleeping Fury. The name—like all Sovereign names—was descriptive: the city rested in the crater of a dormant volcano. Its great outer wall sat atop the mountain as if the mountain were wearing a crown. As they climbed, the road curved up the mountain, rising to a gate in the wall. Nyoko could smell the city now, a smell she hadn’t known she’d missed—the aroma of sulfur and warm ground. Vendors arrayed themselves at the gate, selling perfumes and unguents for those unfamiliar with the scent. The others bought some. Nyoko was happier without.

They reached the great gate just as the sun touched the horizon, turning the sky bright pinks and golds. There, just ahead, was her city, its concentric streets descending towards its great, steaming lake. Home.

Ilex

First Post
Arden was another story: Although Savina had ordered her to learn to use them, the joints in her fingers—weakened from being broken long ago—simply would not cooperate. Nyoko asked the innkeeper to bring a spoon.

Fajitas had us make skill checks for the chopsticks. I rolled a 1 the first night.

Then I rolled a 1 the second night...

...at which point we learned that Arden's fingers must've been broken in the past, leaving her with plenty of manual DEX for lockpicking but with insufferable stiffness in precisely those joint-movements that a person specifically needs for chopsticks... :hmm:

It was actually kind of excellent.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases