A Rose In The Wind: A Saga of the Halmae -- Updated June 19, 2014

Ilex

First Post
Quiz Time!

Match the player to the character:

PLAYERS
WisdomLikeSilence (who once played Reyu)
jonrog1
Thatch (who once played ... duh)
Jenber
Ilex
ellinor

CHARACTERS
Tavi
Savina
Mena
Twiggy
Kormick
Arden

And for fabulous bonus points... Who will Lira's player, Spyscribe, play when she is able to join the campaign next month? (Hint: This question defies Kettenek's Justice because we have no idea what the answer is.)

Rughat

Explorer
I'm only going to make three guesses:

Tavi = Thatch. Simply because of the nonplussed reaction to the wedding proposals.

Kormick = jonrog1. The dialog fits his blog and he's a smartass.

Arden = WisdomLikeSilence. The silent wisdom/power vibe I get from Arden matches Reyu somehow.

I can't get a good enough read on the other characters, and I don't know the new players yet.

(PS: loving the story hour. I'm so happy to have some more Halmae.)

Last edited:

Ilex

First Post
Rughat gets a solid two points! Correct on Tavi and Kormick. Incorrect on Arden, but the relevant players have agreed that it's a smart guess nonetheless.

And spyscribe, sure, you may know the answer to the fabulous bonus question, just as I may know the secrets of unified field theory, but I demand proof of your knowledge before any points shall be awarded.
:)

ellinor

Explorer
1x04

It was a considerable understatement to say that as Jan Kormick strode into the hall, his stark white robes were conspicuous. Even more conspicuous were the two warhammers he wore by his side. But most conspicuous of all was the enormous silver holy symbol around his neck: the symbol of the Justicars. The hall became noticeably quieter as several partygoers stopped to stare.

Kormick picked up a canapé and poured himself a glass of punch.

After some time, a woman in a black robe and a silver clasp in the shape of a Justicar’s symbol approached Kormick, penetrating the ring of empty space that had formed around him.

“I am Intransigent the Just di Vitanni”, said the woman.

“Aah, Kettenek’s justice be upon you, brother*,” said Kormick, his mouth still half full of canapé.

“And upon you,” she nodded. “And how are you known?”

Kormick took a slug of punch. “They call me Kormick the Compromiser.”

“Kormick the Com. . .” Intransigent looked lost. “I am afraid I do not understand.”

“Aah, there is much not to understand, my friend,” said Kormick. “You see, I am here on a brief visit from Dar Und. Justice is new to Dar Und, and we are still only learning the ways of Kettenek. Our justice is as a flower, growing from rock.”

Intransigent squinted. “A what? Doing what?”

“You know the way a seed can find its way into a seemingly barren crag of rock and sprout forth with life? It takes advantage of the tiny crevices where the rock doesn’t hold together well and flourishes there. Such is the growth of Justice in Dar Und. Sometimes the pressure of the expanding roots can even split the rock asunder.”

Intransigent gaped at Kormick. “Church dogma,” she said, “holds that Justice is a rock.”

Kormick shrugged. “Kormick the Compromiser, you see?”

Intransigent tipped her head. “I do not wonder why brothers Rigid the Just and Feldspar the Just wished to leave their posts in Dar Und.”

“Yes, Rigid and Feldspar. Good men, good men,” Kormick replied. “But they really don’t understand Dar Und . . . ”

###

Tavi jumped slightly as a hand draped over his neck and shoulders and voice like velvet appeared near his ear. “Hi, Tavi.”

Rose was only a few feet away, chatting amiably with a group of their peers from the other noble houses.

The hand on Tavi’s shoulder belonged to Dianora di Infusino, Savina’s older sister. The arm attached to it belonged to her, too, as did the truly impressive amount of décolletage she was displaying.

She swung around to face him, leaving one hand by his ear. “It’s good to see you. You know, we haven’t seen nearly enough of each other lately.” She tossed her hair gently. “Really. I mean, you and I, Pol Henna’s two most eligible singles, and we haven’t even had so much as a picnic.”

Tavi forced his eyes up to her face. “That’s true . . . ” he managed, as non-committally as he could.

“What do you say, after this lovely affair quiets down, we find a nice place to visit?” She suggested. “After all,” she added “one does not buy fruit at market without sampling it first; it wouldn’t make sense to take a different approach to marriage, would it?”

Tavi swallowed surreptitiously. “I . . . can’t say I had ever thought about it in quite that way.”

She smiled at him and sashayed away with a sidelong nod, trailing one hand along Tavi’s left arm.

Phoebe plunked herself down on Tavi’s wrist. Bored now.

###

As Twiggy paused to clean her glasses, a small brown mouse poked its nose up from its hiding place in her bosom. It is very loud in here, it thought at her.

Yes, Acorn, it is. Best stay down where it’s quieter.

Acorn poked up again, briefly. And who is going to clean up all of this mess? Look! There is mud over there, and empty cups there, and crumbs everywhere. Don’t these people realize we have to live here?

The servants will have a late night tonight. And we will, too. You should be sure to rest up.

All right, Chelesta, he said, using Twiggy’s given name. But I don’t know how anyone could be expected to rest with all this noise . . .

Their internal dialog was interrupted by the approach of an imposing man, whom Twiggy recognized as Rose’s uncle (Giovanna’s brother), Marco di Vittani.

He sneered. “You. Halfbreed.”

“Signor di Vittani,” Twiggy replied, “are you speaking to me?”

“Who else would I be speaking to? Your rat?”

I’m not a rat!

I know, Acorn—

Chelesta, tell him I am not a rat.

Not now, Acorn—

Marco stepped in closer to Twiggy, close enough for her to smell the wine on his breath. “I know your secret,” he whispered to her.

Twiggy’s stomach clenched. But rather than let it show, she put on an airy smile and breezily said, “Oh, do you?”

Marco was taken aback. Whatever reaction he’d been expecting, that wasn’t it. “Wh . . . yes. And I wouldn’t be so cavalier about it if I were you.”

Twiggy tipped her head. “Signor di Vittani, I’m quite sure I don’t know what you’re talking about. And I can’t imagine what you could want from me.”

“What I want?” Marco humphed. “It’s more like what you want, if you want your precious di Raprezzi family to stay in power.” He paused. “I’m not stupid, you know.”

In point of fact, Marco di Vittani was infamously stupid; Twiggy, fortunately, knew better than to bring that up. “I would never dream of suggesting that you were.”

“Well,” Marco insisted, “you’d better watch yourself. Because I can hurt you any time I want.” He stepped even closer to Twiggy, sneering down at her. “Funny. I didn’t think your father had the stomach to give it to a pointy-ear. But then, I guess he can stomach giving it to my sister . . . ” He turned on his heel and stalked off.

Twiggy stared after him as he left.

Chelesta, I think he thinks that Dante is your father, Acorn said.

I think so too, Acorn.

But that’s not your secret. It isn’t even true.

Twiggy smiled. I know, Acorn. I know . . .

###

Not one to break his word, Tavi crossed the floor to find Bianca for her promised dance, but his aunt, Mariela di Raprezzi (Dante’s sister) stopped him, not too far from where Rose stood talking to Twiggy.

“Tavi! If you have a moment, I want to chat with you.”

Tavi stopped. Oh, come ON! It’s almost like so much keeps happening, we’re never gonna get to DO anything.

“Tavi,” Mariela continued, putting her arm around him, “I’d like you to consider marrying my daughter Mercedes . . .”

Oh, gods no . . . Tavi thought.

“I’m sure you can see why it would be a good match. It would put an end to all the pressure on you to find a bride, it will surely be good for you children’s arcane powers, and – I have to be honest – I really would like to see Mercedes gain some more status in the family. And we already know that . . .”

Acorn had been eavesdropping. He looked up at Twiggy, whiskers twitching. Did you hear that? She wants him to marry . . .

So had Twiggy. Yes, Acorn. Although it should not be so much of a surprise. The family has a long tradition of marrying inside, to maintain arcane strength, and secrecy. It’s only recently that . . . ooh, listen.

Tavi replied. “You know as well as anyone that any decisions about my marrying will be made by your mother.”

“I do.” Mariela patted him on the shoulder. “But a gentle suggestion from you wouldn’t go amiss.”

“Um . . .” Tavi began to excuse himself, just in time to see Bianca walk out the door. The party was beginning to wind down.

Darn it! Now we’re never even going to get a chance to dance, Phoebe thought.

Tavi smiled to himself. Don’t worry, Pheebs. That just means that the real excitement is about to get started…”

* “Brother” is, of course, the correct form of address for any Justicar, male or female. Members of any sects devoted to the male gods (Kettenek and Ehkt) are addressed by male pronouns, regardless of actual gender, just as members of any sect devoted to the female gods (Alirria and Sedellus) are addressed by female pronouns.

ellinor

Explorer
1x05

Midnight.

Savina and Arden sat huddled just outside the wall of the di Raprezzi estate, a long rope coiled by Arden’s feet. It was going to be a long, silent wait.

Inside, Mena arrived in the drawing room to find Kormick waiting, leaning against a bookcase and flipping through his leather notepad. Tavi, Rose, and Twiggy followed shortly thereafter, having traded ball gowns and boutonnieres for boots and bedrolls.

The group looked at Rose, waiting for a cue. She opened her palms in invitation. “I am in your hands.”

Well, Twiggy thought, I guess she really means it about us making all the decisions.

“Ho-kay, then, we begin.” Kormick flipped his pad closed with a snap. “Step one: sneak out of house without alerting Dona Giovanna, Signora Rose’s wary and extraordinarily skilled mother. Step two: travel through bustling town without being identified. Step three: break into magically-alarmed teleport center. Step four: teleport to Sovereignty before guards seize and imprison us all. Couldn’t be easier. What are we waiting for?”

Phoebe flew eager circles around Tavi's head. Acorn scrunched himself further into Twiggy's pocket. Did he say imprison us all? I don't want to go go to prison! Prison is for bad people! There are probably rats in pri--

Don't worry, Acorn, we'll be fine, Twiggy thought, almost convincing herself.

Tavi opened the door a crack and peeked out. “We’re clear.” He waved for the others to follow. But it only took two steps out into the hall to know it would not be that easy. A faint scuffling sound came from down the hall. Then Tavi saw all he needed to: the flick of a fuzzy tail and the glint of a tiny eye.

Euro.

What Euro knew, Dona Giovanna knew. And as far as Dona Giovanna was concerned, Rose was to be tucked up safe in her bed, and not at all sneaking out of the house. And not even a little bit headed to the Sovereignty on a crazy escapade. Tavi and Twiggy were supposed to keep Rose home and safe, and Euro knew that. So if they wanted to get out of that house, they were going to have to steer clear of Euro. Tavi stepped back into the drawing room and pulled the door shut. “We have a complication. A small, brown, fuzzy complication.”

Twiggy looked at Rose, and then at Tavi. No one else was going to speak up; she might as well. “We still need to get out of here. We just need a better way out.“ She paused. What, exactly, is the best way to tell your Mistress and her brother and their tutor that you know something better than they do? “I think it is fair to say that there is no one in the world who knows this house better than I do,” she said. “So . . . follow me.”

Twiggy leaned on the bookshelf behind her, which pivoted with a soft swish. A guest room stood on the other side. “This way,” she motioned. The group tiptoed behind.

From there, a connecting door led to a servant’s room. Twiggy peeked in. Unoccupied. Next, they could take the servants’ stairs down to . . . no. Mama Rossi would still be up and about in the kitchen, and so would the scullery maids, ready to raise the alarm. They were going to have to stick to the upstairs.

When I was six, Twiggy thought, exploring the ins and outs of the house was the biggest adventure there was. Now, it’s the only thing standing between me and a bigger adventure than I can even imagine. And the only thing standing between Rose and her future. She motioned for the others to wait, and dashed out into the hallway, sliding into a broom closet. “Clear!” She whispered, pointing down the hallway and up the side stair.

The group rushed down the hall and up the stairs, aware of every clink and shuffle from their packs. Someone was bound to hear them.

Sure enough, as Mena reached the top of the stairs, she spotted Euro, around the corner to the right, at the far end of the hall. “We’ve got company,” she whispered, her back flat against the wall.

The grandfather clock at the other end of the hall chimed one. It didn’t usually sound so ominous.

Euro was faster than they were. It was going to be a mad dash.

Marcus gave Tavi a serious look. “Sir . . . I believe can distract the weasel,” he whispered. “I’ll divert its attention. You go on ahead.”

Tavi shook his head. “You are the captain of the guard, and a strong fighter. We may need that for whatever we face out there.”

“You won’t face anything at all, if you don’t make it out,” Marcus whispered in reply. “If anyone asks, I can say I tried to stop you. I can even give misleading information about where I think you went.”

Twiggy knew the sacrifice Marcus was making. It might mean the end of his career. She knew Tavi knew it, too, and that they had no choice. Tavi clapped his captain on the shoulder in silent assent. “You’re a good man, Marcus.”

Marcus ran up the stairs and turned right, out of sight. Euro followed.

When reached the top of the stairs, she turned left and kept on running. The rest of the group followed Twiggy, straight toward the end of the hall, straight toward the clock, straight toward a dead end . . . and Twiggy touched the side of the clock and it slid to the side, revealing a narrow passage. They piled in. When Twiggy shut the passage door, she could hear Euro’s claws scratching toward the clock. Marcus had given them just the seconds they’d needed. That was close, she thought, gulping for breath.

“Keep moving,” Mena whispered insistently, pulling Twiggy from her reverie. “We don’t have much of a head start.”

The passage was dark, but light might have betrayed them. They felt their way down a steep set of stairs, to a narrow passage, cold and damp. After a while, the ground sloped up, up . . . and emerged under a shallow shelter near the wall of the di Raprezzi estate, not far from Savina and Arden.

Kormick gave a low whistle, and Arden appeared at the top of the wall, rope in hand.

Wow, Twiggy thought, how can she climb that fast? Impressive.

One by one, the party scrambled over the wall. Kormick stood atop it, pulling each member up the rope, until only Twiggy was left on the ground. Kormick offered Twiggy a boost. “Young lady?”

Twiggy looked at Kormick for a moment, and tilted her head. Ready, Acorn?

Ready for what? No! Not ready! Wha--?

Twiggy disappeared, instantly reappearing on the other side of the wall with a giant grin on her face.

Kormick clambered down the wall, muttering and scribbling in his book. “Thing number one hundred and ninety seven that you must warn your guide about ahead of time. The servant girl is a sorcerer. Humph.”

###

All was dark and quiet as the group stepped from the bushes on to a tree-lined boulevard. They walked in silence for a long while, taking advantage of the nighttime quiet in Pol Henna’s tree-lined wealthy areas. But eventually, the parks became smaller, the streets narrower, and the sidewalks more populated. Ahead were the crowded and cramped back streets of one of the seedier parts of town.

Tavi pulled the group aside. “Around this corner, there will be people. We cannot be noticed or recognized; our mother may already have sent people after us, and will certainly send more in the morning to look for our trail.” He tugged Rose’s hood further over her head, protectively, and put his arm around her shoulder. “Rose and Twiggy, you’re with me. You three,” he said, motioning to Mena, Kormick, and Savina, “will just be three clerics passing in the night.”

Arden looked up, silent. Kormick looked at Tavi and gestured to Arden with his thumb. “Take that one, too.” Arden stepped over toward Tavi.

The next street didn’t exactly bustle, but Tavi’s warning was well-taken. Torches burned, casting a dim glow across the cobblestones, and commerce still glowed in the windows of several taverns. The alleys shuffled with soft, unknown noises. A handful of people passed, appearing more interested in avoiding notice than in noticing four fellow-carousers or three quiet clerics.

Light burst on to the narrow street as a tavern door opened just in front of Tavi, and a man stumbled out. Several others piled after him, shouting incomprehensibly but with great emotion. The man tripped, unsteady. Tavi stepped to the side, avoiding his fall by inches.

The man rose to his feet and turned away, focused more on his pursuers than on Tavi. “You can’t kick me out!” He slurred, swinging wildly at his pursuers. “I happen to know the Doge’s brother!”

Twiggy stiffened. The Doge was Dona Giovanna’s brother; this man claimed to know someone in her family. Was he talking about that nasty man Marco? Was he bluffing?

From the other side of the street, Savina peeked at the activity. Tavi! she thought, first concerned and then impressed by his agility as he side-stepped the scuffle. Behind Tavi, a fist fight broke out. Punches flew, until the inebriated tavern-goer lay on the ground, moaning. The stranger was bruised, and his brow bled. Savina, on instinct, turned to walk toward him.

Kormick touched her on the shoulder. “Where exactly do you think you are going?”

“That man is hurt,” Savina pointed out, “and I am going to heal him.”

“No, Blessed Daughter, you are not going to help the very drunk very stupid man, and you are not going to get us all discovered and followed and dragged back in chains. You are going to keep walking.”

“But . . .”

Mena and Kormick shared a glance, and each put a strong arm around Savina, forcing her toward the end of the street.

All six of them turned the corner on to another street, lined with businesses shuttered for the night. There, two blocks down, stood the teleport center.

###

As Tavi pushed open the door of the teleport center, an alarm screamed. Who needs guards or locks, when there are magical alarms? Twiggy thought.

“They’ll be here soon, so we don’t have much time,” Tavi began, calm and confident, “but we have a lot to do.” For once, Phoebe hovered almost still, just over Tavi’s shoulder. “Do whatever you can to keep the guards out.”

Kormick pulled a bench over to the front door, jamming it up to the doorframe. Mena pushed a table against the door in the back and broke the handle off the back door. Arden pushed stones into the latches of windows and doors.

Wordlessly, Tavi and Twiggy pulled materials from their packs—ritual components for the teleport circle. “Rose!” Tavi called, “we need six finch feathers!”

“And six cornflowers,” Twiggy said, softly, to Savina.

Tavi began setting items in a careful circle. Candles. Herbs. Bits of wool. Stones. Twiggy followed him, lighting candles. Did he mean to put the thyme next to the shale? She moved the shale. They really needed those flowers and feathers.

There were voices outside, down the street. “This way! I see light inside!”

Rose and Savina scrambled through the drawers of the apothecary cabinet. This one had dried lizards. That one had ribbons. The floor was strewn with drawers and bits of plant and fuzz when they spotted their quarries: finch feathers. Cornflowers. They ran to the circle, and Tavi and Twiggy gingerly fit the items in their respective spots.

The doors shook as guards banged on them from outside. “We have set the circle to appear as if we are going to Pol Thane,” said Tavi, “but that means making a longer incantation. Everyone, get in the circle.”

Each of them ran in. Tavi began to chant. Thumps and clangs came from outside. A window broke. Tavi continued to chant.

Twiggy thought. Soon, Acorn, we’ll be as far from home as we can be. All the way across the Halmae.

Acorn’s whiskers twitched. Well, I hope the people there will be well civilized. Did you see those men at the tavern? They were positively violent

The door flew open. Guards rushed in.

The ring on the floor glowed.

There was a bright flash of light.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases