A Rose In The Wind: A Saga of the Halmae -- Updated June 19, 2014

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
Okay, I'm feeling dumb. How do you (they) know which person takes the new name? If it's not a male/female thing, which person is marrying into which family?

Typically, who is marrying into which family is decided at the time the marriage contract is created. When Paulo's marriage was arranged, since he was destined to head the family, they brought in a wife for him. Pascal, on the other hand, had no particular use to the di Vittanis, so he was given away. Giovanna was someone the di Raprezzis explicitly wanted in their family, because of her sorcerous powers.

In practice, it's very similar to the historical notion of "giving away one's daughter"; it just applies to sons as well, and everybody agrees in advance which way it goes.

Yet another example of the aggressively gender-neutral policies we strive to adhere to here in the Halmae. :)

Dowrys, by the way, are paid *to* whichever family is giving up the child. Thus the di Vittanis got a huge sum of money when they married off Giovanna (a non-trivial plot point at the time).

Do widows and widowers remain in their new family, or do they go back to their original families? Is divorce possible, and does it result in returning to the original family?

Sorry for continuing the thread tangent, but... :)

Fajitas

Hold the Peppers
Do widows and widowers remain in their new family, or do they go back to their original families? Is divorce possible, and does it result in returning to the original family?

For widows and widowers, it varies from case to case. Younger widows or widowers without children typically return to their old families (and the dowry is repaid). If there are children in the picture, the children would have to stay with the family they were born into, and most parents choose to remain with their children. It isn't always easy, but it is what the family requires of one.

Divorce is legal, though it is somewhat rare. Divorce is typically tantamount to a public retraction/denouncement of the political alliance cemented by the marriage, and is thus both politically unwise and highly embarrassing. There have, however, been instances of particularly nasty political games...

ellinor

Explorer
After a harrowing night of socialites and street-brawlers, our party has
secretly teleported to the City at the Boundary of the Blessed Lord's
Edge (commonly known as Lord's Edge) in the Sovereignty of Kettenek.
Somewhere in the dangerous wilds of the Ketkath Mountains lies a holy
spring dedicated to Alirria... which may hold the answers to Rose's
questions. If they can find it.

Can they?

Can they?

Stay tuned to find out.

Update tomorrow!

Ilex

First Post
2x01

The blinding white light blew itself out like a candle snuffed by wind.

Darkness replaced it. Arden could hear the gentlefolk catching their breath in the silence around her. She had a sense of a vast indoor space, and she could smell a difference in the air, something she could detect but not define, the way a farm smells different on the first warm day of spring compared to the last cold day of winter. Before her eyes even adjusted to the darkness, then, she knew by the smell: she was somewhere strange, somewhere foreign.

They really brought me along, she thought, astonished by that simple fact as well as by her first exposure to such advanced magic. Halfway across the world, just like that. I'm really here.

Dim light filtered into the building from the moon outside. They were in a warehouse, not unlike the one in Pol Henna, filled with shipping crates. The place was deserted.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the city of Lord's Edge, one of the crown jewels in the Sovereignty of Kettenek," said Kormick, uncharacteristically softly. "As you can see, a place of sweeping vistas, marvels at every turn, and a zeal for law enforcement that we of Dar Und only dream about. In our nightmares."

"Assuming this place is like our teleport center, it'll get really busy around dawn," said Tavi. "If we leave now, we can be outside the city gates by then."

Kormick shook his head. "The city gates will be locked until after sunrise. We'll have to wait."

"Anyway," said Twiggy, "shouldn't we take some time here and ask around about the oracle? Maybe someone knows where it is."

To Arden's amusement, Kormick looked as if he wanted to pat Twiggy's cheek affectionately, like an old grandfather. "You're a cute girl. 'Let us go forth into the city of fundamentalist Kettenek believers and announce that we're outsiders in search of an Alirrian holy site.' Heh."

"But – but she's right -- there should be Alirrians to talk to," said Savina. "Other religious groups are legal here now. It would be nice to visit the Givers."

"I cannot advise publicizing our secret mission among the city's persecuted but technically legal minorities. I do suggest finding another place to wile away the hours until dawn. Shall we -- ?" Kormick gestured toward the door.

"I will not allow Rose to leave until we know what awaits us outside," Mena declared. "Until we know exactly where we're going, she should remain here."

"Then how about you and I take the slave and go see what we can learn?"

"Agreed," said Mena. "Tavi– "

"—look after Rose," finished Tavi.

Arden pointedly turned to Savina. By now, she was confident that her mistress did not demand abject submission, but with new owners, observing the proprieties was always important until you knew how strict they were . . . and in Arden's experience, they had all been strict. "Blessed Daughter, is it your wish that I accompany them?"

Savina looked startled to be asked. "Of course, yes, whatever is best," she said.

Arden nodded once with careful humility, then stepped away to join Kormick and Mena. I'm really here, she thought again. Miles away from everything. My mistress doesn't give orders, and against my better judgment, I even like the alleged Justicar. By the gods, what we have here is a vacation. She found herself starting to smile at the absurdity and squelched it lest anyone see.

"Before you go," said Rose, "I've brought along a few items that might be useful." She opened the silver clasps of her bag and drew out three potions of healing, one potion of resistance to energy, two augmenting whetstones, and a pouch that rattled with the distinctive sound of money. "This is five hundred in gold and gems," she explained.

I could buy five of me with that, Arden mused. More, if I haggled.

"I'll carry the gold and gems," volunteered Kormick, reaching out his hand only to be greeted by six openly skeptical faces. "Okay, okay," he said. "The Blessed Daughter can carry the gold and gems."

Rose handed the money to Savina, who looked nervous but resolute. She packed the pouch away. The rest of the items were quickly distributed, and Kormick, Mena, and Arden prepared to leave.

"Just one more question," said Twiggy. "If it's so dangerous to be foreigners here, what are you going to do if someone tries to arrest you?"

"Not a problem." Kormick clapped Twiggy's shoulder in a gesture meant to be reassuring, causing her to stagger a little. "We'll knife him in the kidneys, hand the murder weapon to the slave, and run."

Arden stared. He is joking. He makes jokes like that. Usually I think he's funny.

Kormick met her eyes.

"No offense," he said.

"Please don't lose Arden," said Savina, not getting the joke, either. "The Honored Mother wouldn't be pleased if I – "

"I'd pay you back."

"Well, I guess that would help, but – "

"Young lady, as surely as Kettenek's laws and what-not stand firm in the manner of an oak tree or some similarly firm object, I promise I will only pin murders on the slave as a last resort."

I'm on vacation, Arden resolved. I'm not going to waste time worrying about what Alleged the Just could do to me.

But it wasn't really a vacation. And she knew it. As she followed Kormick and Mena out into the dark streets of Lord's Edge, Arden's heart was pounding.

###

The city streets surrounding the teleport center were nondescript. Their defining characteristic was their emptiness: no one was in sight, and the silence was eerie.

Mena and Kormick led the way, selecting a route mostly at random, consulting with quick gestures. Arden followed, a shadow in their wake. Despite her unease about the Justicar, she savored being alone with the two other adults in the group. She felt a kinship with them: she had a sense that they had all won their maturity through difficult trials. They knew that the world was harsh.

On a long, broad street, Kormick suddenly dropped back to walk beside Arden. "Slave," he said softly, conversationally. "Tell me about the time you escaped."

So much for kinship. "I'm sorry, Justicar?" she asked, reflexively pretending ignorance even though they both knew what he was talking about.

"That cuff on your wrist. It means you're a slave who tried to run."

"I didn't succeed, Justicar."

"Indeed, I'm not blind. But now, in their wisdom, the Givers have handed you a sword – and what other weapons are you hiding under that cloak? Tell me."

"A dagger and a sling, Justicar."

"I see. They gave you a small arsenal, plus survival equipment, and sent you out into a foreign land to serve someone who is explicitly the most naive girl they could find. What's to stop you from running again? And from stabbing us all to death first?"

Fair questions, Alleged. "I learned my lesson, Justicar."

"Thank you, I feel entirely reassured. Let us review the lesson that I will teach you if you ever -- "

"Kormick," interrupted Mena. "Leave Arden alone. There's someone up ahead."

A city guard was standing in their path, his arms crossed.

"It's after prayer time," he said, eying Mena's Sedellan armor. "Why are you out?"

Kormick stepped forward. "May Kettenek's various ordinances fall upon your head. We're travelers in your illustrious city, looking for a place to spend the night."

The guard was unimpressed with Kormick's Justicar robes. "Then get yourselves to the rats' quarter," he growled. He pointed east, down the hill. "Make haste."

He glared after them as they followed the direction of his finger. As they descended the hill, the structures became dilapidated, the signs of poverty greater. Finally, they reached a district where a few people still moved on the streets, and where one or two seedy buildings bore holy symbols other than Kettenek's. Kormick paused before a lighted inn bearing a sign: "The Inn of the Lord's Welcoming Embrace."

"Well," he said, "we know nothing of Kettenek's hugs in Dar Und."

Kettenek's hugs turned out to consist of a couple sullen customers, "stew" that was actually a cold gruel, and two facts that they essentially knew already: the Ketkath Mountains were very dangerous, and they might learn more at the Temples of Alirria or Ehkt in the heart of the foreign quarter.

Mena, Kormick, and Arden crept back through the dark streets. It was still dark as they arrived at the teleport center, but one or two birds had sung out tentatively along the way. Dawn was approaching, and getting caught in the warehouse meant getting sent home. Or worse, being detained in Lord’s Edge by the Sovereigns. They collected the rest of the group and left the warehouse with quiet haste. Kormick led the way back toward the foreign quarter.

As the reunited group progressed back downhill toward the foreign quarter, a soft line of light spread across the eastern horizon. The glowing band widened and began to be tinged with orange, and its bottom edge shifted and shone silver as the waters of the Halmae tilted toward dawn.

Twiggy gasped and stopped walking. "It's on the wrong side," she said. "I mean – the sun is rising over the sea." They all stopped and stared, having lived all their lives in lands where the sun set over the Halmae to the west. Arden felt the weight of the distance they'd come once again.

"Blessed Alirria," breathed Savina.

"We must keep moving," said Mena.

They did, keeping to the long shadows thrown from the sun’s shallow rising.

Just as the sun sent a blazing splinter over the horizon, they arrived at a big public square. One side was open except for a giant stone standing like a sentinel. The other three sides were bordered by buildings. The building on the right had a fountain in front of it. Across the square, a flame danced before the second building. And to the left, before the third building, a small whirlwind swirled perpetually. These were the temples of Alirria, Ehkt, and Sedellus. The square itself was filled with thirty or forty Alirrians at prayer, for dawn was Alirria's time.

Savina's face lit up. "Come, Arden," she said, and hurried to join her sisters. Arden followed, amused that the Blessed Daughter had just issued her first real order. Not unwillingly, she raised her face to the first rays of the sun as the Honored Mother, a heavyset man with graying hair and beard, held up his hands and spoke words of greeting to the new day.

"Alirria, Mother, Lady of Dawn,
Awake in us your power,
Restore in us your healing light,
Help each of us to flower.
Alirria, Sister, Lady of Spring – "

"No loitering!"

The harsh voice boomed out from the side of the square.

It belonged to the leader of a small band of armored men, their hands resting deceptively lightly on the swords and ornamental daggers at their belts.

Jenber

First Post
What a fun update! It's really interesting to see things from Arden's perspective.
I agree. I'd sort of like to sit and chat with Arden, actually. I suspect she has some interesting thoughts on all of this so far.

It always amuses me how much more is happening in the characters heads than we're aware of at the time. Makes for a very entertaining story hour.

Ilex

First Post
2x02

Savina winced, her meditations interrupted. She opened her eyes and saw the troop of men standing beside the stone at the entrance to the square. To her surprise, she detected a hint of enjoyment on the leader's otherwise stern face. She also saw that the Honored Mother didn't look startled – just frustrated and tired. This has happened before, Savina realized.

The Honored Mother resumed his prayer. "Alirria, Sister, Lady of Spring, let rains pour down to wash us – "

"Public proselytizing is expressly forbidden. Disperse your mob, or my brothers and I will do it for you."

"Alirria, Goddess, Lady of Life, protect us with your mercy," said the Honored Mother. He had skipped to the concluding line of the prayer, Savina realized, and now he was walking over to the interloper. Savina's confusion became tinged with fear as she heard Twiggy whispering to Rose: "They look like Sovereign Inquisitors. Your mother said terrible things about them. . . ."

The Honored Mother was explaining to the man that he was not proselytizing. "We are all Alirrians," he insisted. "Already."

"But today, I see new faces," said the Inquisitor. "Explain." He looked straight at Savina and she felt a chill.

"Indeed, I'm already a servant of Alirria," she whispered. "I'm an acolyte in Alirria's Temple, in the city of --"

Kormick stepped forward, flashing his holy symbol like a badge. "Perhaps I might be of assistance?" he asked.

"A heathen?" The Inquisitor spat at Kormick’s feet. "I think not."

Kormick glanced down at the wet spot. "That's adorable," he said. He sounded sincerely charmed.

For a split second, the Inquisitor looked unnerved. Then he turned back to Savina. "You were telling me where you're from," he said.

"We're all brothers here," resumed Kormick, now sounding more like a cool, reasoned Justicar than Savina had ever heard. "If a law is being broken, you might enlighten us all as to its nature. It is always fruitful to learn more of the ways of Justice."

The Inquisitor glared at Kormick, but hesitated. Then: "I suspect proselytizing," he growled.

"Ah. I assume you would require proof of such proselytizing in order to prosecute, yes? Allow me to be of service. Who here was given the hard-sell by an Alirrian this fine morning?" He looked around expectantly. No one stepped forward.

"Any new converts?" Kormick asked. "Anyone?"

Silence. Kormick turned to the Inquisitor and shrugged. The Inquisitor turned to the Honored Mother.

"Hear me," he said. “This is not over. But for now . . . " The Inquisitor gazed out across the crowd of Alirrians and smirked. He raised his hand in mock benediction. "Go in peace."

The crowd scattered with the speed of fear. The Honored Mother wilted, exhausted, as the Inquisitors strode away down the street. Watching, Savina struggled with an uncomfortable realization. It's really true. I heard . . . but I never really believed anyone could hate the Goddess.

The Honored Mother turned to her and smiled. "It's all right," he said. "We're used to it. Thank you for speaking when you might have stayed silent. Will you come in?" He gestured toward the Temple of Alirria.

Upon entering, they were hit by the smell. Among other things, it was, of course, a hospital, and it was crowded. Many of the people seemed bruised or broken, rather than sick. "Did – did something happen? Was there an accident?" asked Savina.

The Honored Mother shook his head. He was unwilling to say.

"Ah," said Kormick. "There's been a sudden outbreak of falling down stairs."

The Honored Mother sighed. "Yes. You might say that."

As she grasped what they meant, Savina felt the stirrings of an unfamiliar anger. "Honored Mother," she said, "With – with your permission, I can help."

The Honored Mother gave her a puzzled nod. Savina walked to the middle of the ward and closed her eyes in prayer. She felt the glow of Alirria's healing energy gather within her and she sent it forth in all directions, feeling the wave wash outward from her like soft warm water. She heard murmurs and gasps – the sounds of people suddenly relieved from pain. She opened her eyes, reeling slightly from the effort she'd expended, and smiled. "What else can I do?" she asked.

(DM’s Note: That would be the warm healing glow of “Beacon of Hope,” Savina’s Daily Power. Yes. Savina’s player used her DAILY POWER outside of combat to heal a room of faceless NPCs.

There’s a reason I love her so.
)

"Bless you, Daughter," said the Honored Mother, looking awestruck. "I think the real question is, what can I do to repay you?"

Savina began to demur but then saw her companions looking at her expectantly. "Oh," she said. "Could you tell us how to find the oracle of Alirria at the Vale of the Holy Spring in the Ketkath Mountains?"

Suddenly, Kormick closed his eyes theatrically and sighed. Mena’s eyes narrowed. Even Tavi's handsome face registered displeasure. But if my companions cannot trust the Honored Mother with information about our destination,, Savina thought, who can they trust? She suspected, with regret, that the answer might be "no one."

To her even greater regret, the Honored Mother responded with a look of exhausted resignation, as he'd looked when confronting the Inquisitor. "The Spring vanished," he said. "It is lost to the ages of time."

Twiggy stepped forward. "Do you have any old maps – ?" she began, but the Honored Mother shook his head.

"No earthly maps show it," he said. "None that are now known, anyway. It was located near the Ironroot Mines, beyond the Sharpstone Pass. But the monks that guarded it for generations were found out by the Sovereigns. The monks fled and the Spring . . . the Spring has since been lost. I'm sorry – there's nothing more I can tell you." He stared at the floor, and Savina, to her shock, didn't believe him. He knows more than that. Horrified at her own audacity – daring to doubt the Honored Mother's word – she pushed the thought away. It returned. There's something he's not saying. But surely he has a reason. . . .

"Well," pressed Twiggy, "how do you get to the Ironroot Mines, then?"

"It is a long trek through the mountains. The Water Walkers may know more." The Honored Mother seemed to be lost in thought.

"We'd better go talk to them," said Twiggy. "I'll go. Water Walkers are very interesting people."

"You being another one of these overly trusting youths," said Kormick to Twiggy, "I'll go along—merely in order to clap my hand over your mouth every time you try to speak."

Mena frowned. "I'm going across the square to speak with the Ehktians. They may be of help."

The Honored Mother stirred from his reverie. "If you truly intend to travel outside the foreign quarter, let alone outside the city, you would do well to appear . . . less conspicuous." He looked at Savina's and Arden's Alirrian robes and Mena's Sedellan armor.

"I will be fine," said Mena.

"Still, a few plain cloaks would not go amiss," declared Kormick. "Signor Octavian, perhaps you might locate the market and buy us a few supplies?"

Savina could tell that Tavi, understandably, considered shopping to be beneath him. He was a warrior, not a drudge. "Savina's slave can handle that," he said. "I'll keep an eye out for that Inquisitor." He says my name in such a nice way, Savina thought.

"We are trusting the slave with money now? Lots of money? On her own?"

Savina couldn't imagine why Kormick was objecting to Tavi's helpful suggestion. She glanced at Arden, who was standing politely a few feet behind her, as usual. "The – the Honored Mother in Pol Henna wouldn't have sent Arden if we couldn't trust her," she said.

"Of course we trust Arden," declared Mena. "Sending her will allow Tavi to stay here and keep an eye on Rose. Arden, will you please buy plain cloaks for Savina and yourself? And we've brought food and basic supplies, but should we consider horses?"

"No," said Kormick. "We will be heading into the mountains, over rough terrain. Horses will be trouble. You may buy one mule, slave. Do you know how to select a good mule?"

"Yes, Justicar."

"I don't believe you."

"You look at their teeth, Justicar."

"Not just their teeth. Oh, no. What else do you study closely?"

Arden hesitated, then shook her head.

"Poop," announced Kormick triumphantly. "You are looking for robust, healthy poop. Teeth and poop, slave. Say it with me."

"Teeth and poop, Justicar."

"What kind of poop?"

"Robust and healthy, Justicar." Savina thought that Arden might be on the verge of laughing.

"And do you know what I will do to you if I suspect that you're skimming off any of this money for yourself? Do you understand what will happen if you do anything other than come back faithfully – with exactly what we asked for?"

"I am honest, Justicar."

"We'll see."

Savina counted out one hundred in gold and handed it to Arden, who tucked it inside her robes and slipped silently out the door. Mena followed, aiming for the Ehktian complex across the square. Kormick and Twiggy left the hospital to visit the Water Walkers. Tavi took up a station with Rose in the entry hall of the Alirrian Temple. Savina contemplated keeping the siblings company. There were cross-currents in the air here that she didn't understand, undertows of hidden conflict, and she wanted to stay close to their comforting presence.

But the Honored Mother was still standing by her side. "The patients in the leprosy ward . . ." he said. Savina nodded and hurried after him to render what help she could. She would do her duty, but she was nervous. This man lied to me about Alirria's Spring. She took a deep breath and resolved to find out why.

WisdomLikeSilence

Community Supporter
(There’s a reason I love her so.)

Aww. You say the sweetest things.

For the uninitiated, Fajitas and I are married, so we're allowed to flirt with each other. Not that we ever do so while he's DMing, of course, because that would just be wrong.

I'm playing Savina, and am having a lot of fun with her complete innocence. I was flattered by your guess of Arden, though, Rughat.

Orichalcum

First Post
Aww. You say the sweetest things.

For the uninitiated, Fajitas and I are married, so we're allowed to flirt with each other.

Not that we ever do so while he's DMing, of course, because that would just be wrong.

Because one of the subclauses of Prop 8 was that unmarried people _aren't_ allowed to flirt with each other? :)

Agree with you about the DMing, otoh, although sometimes it feels like CP bends over backwards _not_ to play favorites with me, and vice versa. (I think the closest I ever got to "flirting" with him in game was when my witch NPC entranced his PC so she could eat his liver. From my perspective, it wasn't my fault he was the PC who violated the standard Roman rule of "never trust women who flirt with you in strange inns.")

It's a fine fine line to walk, being the GM's spouse. :)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases