Wand Guns (Guns that let you use Wands)

Creamsteak

Explorer
The idea of a firearm, whether rifle or pistol, isn't totally insane in DnD. It also isn't that far off base to have characters with use magic device, allowing them to cast spells and act with some of the abilities of other classes.

This idea is actually a minute section of my final fantasy tactics conversion. In that campaign setting, there are many guns (some being REALLY RARE) that can be armed with a very specific type of ammunition that unleashes a spell.

My concept relies on having two matching pieces. The first piece is the gun. A Blaze Gun, for instance, works with certain fire-type spells of 1st-4th level. This part never breaks down, but it's limitation is the fact that it can never accomodate any additional types of ammunition, making it useless without the right tools. It costs about 1/10th of the cost of a want with 50 charges would cost. So, if you had a Blaze Gun that only worked with the spell fireball (additional spells means additional costs), it would be worth about 1,125 gold. It would work with any fireball wand, but it's capped at 3rd caster level at that cost. If you want a gun that works as up to 10th caster level, it would cost about 2,250 gold.

The second part, and this is the important part, is a wand. Whatever wand (and you can reshape the concept) you use, uses up charges on a shot for charge basis. Wands load into the butt of a pistol or rifle (whatever you want to go with) and the charge is there. The gun only acts as a device that can be used to allow a character without the spell to use the wand. For instance, Bob the Fighter with his Brand new Blaze Gun (Fireball, Wall of Fire) and a brand new wand of fireball (3rd caster level), can fire a 3d6 fireball every round till his clip is expended.

Some similar devices couldn't work as a rifle... but maybe more as a remote or such. For example, a remote control to allow you to cast dimensional door. The concept isn't too overly complex, and I'm curious about anyones opinions about it. As far as balance goes... I don't see why it would be any different than gold spent elsewhere, it's just another option. Also, the Craft-Guns feat would be required to get the appropriate magic guns to match yourself up. Mayhaps differintiating wands and guns ammunition to require the feat Craft-Guns and Ammo would be more appropriate.

Corlon

First Post
neat idea, I've always thought about it but...

Isn't that making the magic casters a bit lower on the scale. Hey says Bob the fighter, I just got a gun with heal (15 level caster), sorry cleric, we really don't need your ability to heal anymore. This is why wands were made so that only people with it on their spell list could use it.

Usually I'd only use it for flavor, such as HUGE gun things on gnomish submarines or war galleons, that hold about 4 wands, and they just use em. I'd make them more of a big weapon than a hand-held weapon.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Wands are limited to 4th level spells... IMC. Actually if you limit it to arcane spells only, or only spells that are rays or such, you could make it smaller in scale and all. Doesn't matter anyway, but magitech (FF3) Battle armor that uses this concept would be useful as well.

Jeph

Explorer
I had something kinda like this in a gnomish airship I designed and never actually used . . .

The ship had 6 Fireball Blasters on each side, 1 mounted in the aft, and 2 in the starboard. Made for some truly deadly broadsides. And some truly through-the-roof costs.

the Jester

Legend
I had crossbows that would fire wands without using their charges imc a long time ago, but there was a cumulative chance the wand would get drained or blow up with each shot.

Celebrim

Legend
Ahh... the return of the push button multi-barreled wand of mega death. :)

Just you wait until my Wizard finishes researching Asteroid Summoning IV.

Last edited:

Starwind

First Post
Like Caster guns from Outlaw Star.
I'm going to have a similar concept in my campaign, although the magic shells will be insanely expensive (perhaps triple the cost of a wand), rare, and limited.

Pbartender

First Post
Well, look it up in the DMG. If you wanted to make a wand that anyone could use, that would be...

Use-activated: Spell level x caster level x 2,000 gp
Charged (50 charges): 1/2 unlimited use base price

Or... Spell level x caster level x 1,000 gp

As opposed to a regular wand, which costs... Spell level x caster level x 750 gp

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases