Revised GSL TODAY!

Ydars

Explorer
First, let me say that I think the new GSL is a massive improvement on the old one, though it is by no means perfect. Kudos to Scott Rouse and to Clark for pushing this through. I am sure that 4E will now be enriched with many many new things and that can only be good and will help bring in new people and may convert those who have not adopted the new edition.

But my gut is with Pawsplay on this: an Astonishing amount of WoTCs so called IP is actually derived from ideas literally cherry picked from works of Fantasy and Sci-Fi with little or no regard for the IP rights of the original creators.

And a awful lot of what makes D&D, D&D was developed, not by large corporations like TSR or WoTC, but by fans.

For the love of god, BOTH the major settings markerted by WoTC came from FANS: Eberron and FR.

The Beholder was made up by a friend of Gygax's and he was never paid a cent for it. Mindflayers are ripped off from Cthulu andmreged with other sources. The list goes on and on.

I guess what I feel is that the OGL enshrined the fact that the fans or outsiders actually created one hell of a lot of what most people regard as core D&D and acknowledged that it is likely that they will continue to do so.

So it leaves a bad taste in my mouth when they take it away. Having said this, I would still like to end by paying tribute to Scott Rouse and Orcus for their work.

defendi

Explorer
Just as input from someone who operates under five licenses from three companies and has worked under at least one more (I'm probably missing some), the The GSL is the second most permissible one (the OGL is the most, of course). All the other licenses I've seen still allow the publisher to yank a product of mine even after I've spent countless time and money on creating them. The fact that this hasn't happened yet is because I'm careful to follow the same basic morals clauses that are in the GSL. The other licenses don't have them explicitly, but if I violated them, I'd be in big trouble.

Keefe the Thief

Adventurer
For the love of god, BOTH the major settings markerted by WoTC came from FANS: Eberron and FR.

The concepts and starting details were created by fans. From then on, it always was a team effort - FR was bought to be used as a shared world, and Eberron was quite the same. You can see the touch of the creators, but we wouldn´t recognize both settings if the original authors would have been creating them alone, only focused on their wishes.

But i already know one thing: you can´t kill the corporation/creator black/white idea on the internet.

Ydars

Explorer
The really interesting question is WHY TSR and WoTC, with their large staff and professional designers, feel the need to start their world-building with fan created worlds and content?

I agree with you Keefe; FR and Eberron are somewhat different to how they were originally envisaged (though I have to say that all the changes made to the FR by TSR lessened the setting and the bits I like most are almost pure Greenwood).

It still doesn't change that fact that the original inspiration for these things came from fans and not from the owners of the D&D IP.

I fail to see how the dismissive comment at the end of your post in any way addresses this.

CharlesRyan

Adventurer
(And to address someone else's qustion, Anthony Valerra was the brand manager of D&D and the person behind the BOEF if I'm remembering correctly. He had Scott Rouse's job, basically).

Not to drive this thread even further off topic, but to clarify: Anthony was my predecessor. The position he held evolved a great deal, both in my tenure and, as I understand it, into Scott's. Anthony's position as Category Manager for RPGs was the closest equivalent to current position of Senior Brand Manager for D&D, but it wasn't identical in its responsibilities, nor was it nearly as senior.

So, yeah, Anthony kinda had Scott's job, but not quite.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases