Revised GSL TODAY! - Page 2

+ Log in or register to post
Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast
    Defender (Lvl 8)

Blog Entries

Ignore Mercutio01
    I just read through it and came to the same conclusions as Urizen. It seems to bear out exactly what Scott sent to Morrus.

Glad to see Gnomes in the SRD.

To bad all the non-legacy PHII material is on the blacklist.

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Ignore Scribble
    Quote Originally Posted by Urizen View Post
    I'm still reading through it, but, as far as I can tell, since the old section 6 is out, we can now support our titles in both OGL AND GSL, so long as we are very careful not to violate the existing GSL (which supercedes the ogl),

So, as an example, if I decided I wanted to convert my Touch of Evil Game line, or Blood Throne, to 4e (which I'm now seriously considering), I could do so, as long as I don't redefine any of the terms in the SRD. Additionally, I can keep selling Blood Throne as a true20 product.

I'm going to need to check with a lawyer on that, but I believe I'm reading it right.

If anyone else interprets it differently, please speak up.
    I think I do... I'm not a lawyer though.

relevant text from the FAQ

Quote Originally Posted by GSL FAQ
    Q: Can I use the GSL and OGL in the same title?
    A: There is no provision in the GSL preventing the of use the OGL but publishers must take care to not assume content in the OGL SRD is the same as like-named content in the GSL SRD. For example, using the definition of Cleric from the OGL SRD in a product licensed under the GSL would violate the GSL. GSL definitions and provisions supersede like terms and provisions of the OGL (for example, GSL restrictions on explaining the process of assigning ability scores with respect to Character Creation)
    Which seems to indicate you can have stuff using both the OGL, and GSL at the same time, but you have to make sure you follow the GSL rules first.

IE if you use something that's defined in the GSL, you can't choose to use how it's defined in the OGL instead. You have to go with the GSL version.

I have the old one, but no way to distribute it, and the SRD file fails to load. SO... they are using some kind of graphics or something that fails to work right it seems rather than just a single image layer and text. or the file just refuses to download.

Anyone think they will make a text version for people since WotC has so many problems making PDFs that work?

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Urizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
    IE if you use something that's defined in the GSL, you can't choose to use how it's defined in the OGL instead. You have to go with the GSL version.
    Yeah that would make sense.

Any conversions can't define or redefine any existing terms in the GSL SRD.
    David Jarvis, Gun Metal Games

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Ignore Scribble
    Quote Originally Posted by Urizen View Post
    Yeah that would make sense.

Any conversions can't define or redefine any existing terms in the GSL SRD.
    Also there's nothing in the GSL itself that actually talks about the OGL, so it doesn't seem like there's anything to prevent you from still publishing your existing OGL stuff right? Or am I missing something?

The Great Druid (Lvl 17)

Ignore Rechan
    So the "No OGL and GSL products in the same line" is now out. That seemed to have been a big stickywicket for many a publisher.

How about the "No reposting monster statblocks in your adventure"?

Scout (Lvl 6)

Blog Entries

Ignore joethelawyer
    Just took a quickie look at it, and please don't take this as legal advice, just observations:

They can cancel the GSL at any time.

They can change the GSL and/or SRD at any time.

Therefore, anything people didn't like from the first version that was taken out can be put back in.

Plus, if there are any legally questionable claims of right WOTC makes in the GSL (9.1), you can't fight it if you sign the GSL.

Also, it looks like they can put out stuff similar to yours and compete against you.

Not something I would feel comfortable making long-term business decisions with.

If you are a guy who wants to put out a supplement once a year or so for 4e, and make a hundred bucks here and there, no major loss.

If you're a guy basing a business and livelihood around 4e products, seems risky to me. Your livelihood is in the hands of the Hasbro corporate executive of the month in charge over there.

I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket if I were a 3pp. develop your business broadly, support Pathfinder, C&C, etc., in order to have options if Goober the future new VP of WOTC who never rolled dice before has a brain fart and screws over all 3pp's.

Just my gut take on it from a fast read. Again, not legal advice, so don't take it as such. Consult a lawyer who specializes in IP and/or business contracts. I do not work in those areas.

Joe

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Urizen
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
    Also there's nothing in the GSL itself that actually talks about the OGL, so it doesn't seem like there's anything to prevent you from still publishing your existing OGL stuff right? Or am I missing something?
    No, I think you got it right.

Acolyte (Lvl 2)

Ignore Urizen
    Quote Originally Posted by joethelawyer View Post
    Just took a quickie look at it, and please don't take this as legal advice, just observations:

They can cancel the GSL at any time.

They can change the GSL and/or SRD at any time.

Therefore, anything people didn't like from the first version that was taken out can be put back in.

Plus, if there are any legally questionable claims of right WOTC makes in the GSL (9.1), you can't fight it if you sign the GSL.

Also, it looks like they can put out stuff similar to yours and compete against you.

Not something I would feel comfortable making long-term business decisions with.

If you are a guy who wants to put out a supplement once a year or so for 4e, and make a hundred bucks here and there, no major loss.

If you're a guy basing a business and livelihood around 4e products, seems risky to me. Your livelihood is in the hands of the Hasbro corporate executive of the month in charge over there.

I wouldn't put all my eggs in one basket if I were a 3pp. develop your business broadly, support Pathfinder, C&C, etc., in order to have options if Goober the future new VP of WOTC who never rolled dice before has a brain fart and screws over all 3pp's.

Just my gut take on it from a fast read. Again, not legal advice, so don't take it as such. Consult a lawyer who specializes in IP and/or business contracts. I do not work in those areas.

Joe
    I for one appreciate your "non-legal" observations.

It's nice to develop some sort of concensus on something before spending the money on legal advice, which I plan to do anyhow.

I am a bit concerned about them possibly trying to compete directly with 3pp such as myself, though. Not that there's anyhting I can do about it except not sign.

• + Log in or register to post
    Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast