Monster Mash: Atanatotatos vs. nerdytenor

Atanatotatos

First Post
ooc:hope I didn't mess any of the squares. Btw, the Unicorn should be large; I'll consider it starting directly behind the Troll.

Go say hallo to our new friend, Grudge! says the goblin mockingly, and the big Troll, with a grunt, unsheates a greatsword and charges wildly at the Beholder.
[size=-2]ooc:minor: unsheathe greatsword, move to Y36; charge to Y-42-43-X, basic attack vs Beholder: 19 vs AC, 11 dmg, beholder is marked.[/size]

After the Troll, the beautiful black Unicorn gallops towards the creature, and charges it, its long horn pointed at it.
[size=-2]move to X35; standard:piercing charge to 42-43-AA-AB vs beholder: 23 vs AC, 13 dmg,and knock prone; aura 2: allies defenses +2[/size]

The Destrachan moves closer to the enemy too, then comes to a stop, seems to shake its head around a couple of times, then it releases a thundering blast towards the beholder.
[size=-2]move to X37; standard: sound pulse vs beholder 15 vs Ref, 15 dmg[/size]

The spider jumps forward with prodigious speed and circles around the beholder to bite it from behind.
[size=-2]move: prodigious leap to AB39; standard: death from above, shift to AB45 to flank, bite vs Beholder 22 vs AC(24 if beholder's prone), 11 dmg,knock prone, and slow and ongoing poison dmg 5 (save ends both).[/size]

Finally, the little goblin moves forward too. He waves his hands and his staff in the fights direction, and a mystical myst descends upon the combatants.
[size=-2]move to X32; standard: vexing cloud on Z42(burst 3 within 10), enemies take -2 to attack rolls, allies gain concealment [/size]

covaithe

Explorer
The blue team circle, but none of them can hit the beholder.

ooc: Note that the spider doesn't flank from AB45. See PHB p. 285.

Initiative

Beholder 204/204
Troll 70/70
Unicorn 85/85
Destrachan 92/92
Spider 95/95
Goblin 86/86
Worg 120/120 <== You're up

Active zones:
  • all enemies within 5 of the beholder at the start of their turns are subject to a random eye ray attack.
  • all allies within 2 of the unicorn gain +2 to defenses
  • vexing cloud: all enemies in the cloud take -2 to attacks; allies in the cloud gain concealment.
  • within 3 of the Worg, enemies take -1 to attacks; allies get +1 to attacks.

Resources used:
  • spider: Prodigious leap
  • goblin hexer: vexing cloud

[sblock=map]
AtaNerdytenor003.png

[/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
ooc:yeah no flank. I was sure I'd mess up some positioning and infact... :) Btw cov, nice format!
(hey...I passed 2000 :D Ok... sorry for the OT)

nerdytenor

First Post
"Mmm, look Bob - spider. Ain't had me no spider in a looooong time. I think we might need to chop em up a bit before they fit on the grill, eh?"

Bob responds by charging at the spider, while Bill sends flames shooting out from two of his eyes, one targeting the unicorn, and the other targeting the spider.

OOC:
Note - I've included attack bonuses (but not penalties) in the calculations below - not enough time to figure out from work. I think they are likely all misses, although unicorn might be close.

Worg moves, then charges deathump spider, ending in AB,AC,46,47
+13 Vs AC (includes +1 for charge), hits AC 22 for 10 damage. If that's a hit, it deals 5 ongoing (save ends).

Beholder shifts one square NE.
Minor action - Central Eye (autohit) on Unicorn - unicorn is vulnerable 10 fire, fire attacks also give 5 ongoing fire (save ends both). Hereafter referred to as just Central Eye.
Main action -
Eye rays, 2 fire ray attacks targeting unicorn and spider
unicorn: +18 vs ref (includes +1 from worg), hits ref 23 for 16. If hit, target takes extra 10 damage and 5 ongoing fire from central eye.
spider +18 vs ref (includes +1 from worg), hits ref 22 8 damage.

Recommendation for random attacks from beholder aura - roll 1d6 - on 1 or 2 = fire, 3 or 4 = telekinesis, 5 or 6 = fear. Covaithe, would you like me to make a bunch of rolls in advance? I can then send you the link to the rolls and you can pull from them one at a time.

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
The worg charges, but the agile spider evades its jaws. (ooc: miss. With concealment and the Unicorn aura, I make its effective AC 29.)

The beholder floats back a step and gazes around. The unicorn feels a momentary flash of heat, but the dark mist around it dissipates the heat. (ooc: 23 vs. reflex misses by 1, due to both of you being in the vexing cloud zone. The unicorn gains vulnerable 10 fire and fire attacks against it do 5 ongoing fire on a hit.)

The troll, the unicorn, and the spider all feel the beholder's eyes flash across them. The troll shrugs off a repulsion effect, but the unicorn and the spider are both seared by intense flames. (ooc: The troll is targeted by telekinesis, the others by fire. roll. TK misses the troll, but fire hits both the unicorn and spider for 29 and 15 damage, respectively, and the unicorn takes 5 ongoing fire. rolls. NT, you can roll these yourself next time if you like, since you'll know at the end of the beholder's turn who will start within 5 of him.)

Initiative

Beholder 204/204
Troll 70/70 <== You're up
Unicorn 56/85, 5 ongoing fire damage (save ends) vulnerable 10 fire and fire attacks against it do 5 ongoing fire on a hit (save ends both)
Destrachan 92/92
Spider 80/95
Goblin 86/86
Worg 120/120

Active zones:
  • all enemies within 5 of the beholder at the start of their turns are subject to a random eye ray attack.
  • vexing cloud: all enemies in the cloud take -2 to attacks; allies in the cloud gain concealment.

Resources used:

[sblock=map]
AtaNerdytenor004.png

[/sblock]

Atanatotatos

First Post
Grudge, ya hear? They want to grill us. scoffs the little goblin.

[size=-2]All delay to act after goblin.

The goblin waves his hand, and as if following an order, the misty cloud moves slowly to include the Worg too. The goblin then points his staff at the beholder, but it seems his spell fails to affect the monster.

[size=-2]move to X36; minor: sustain vexing cloud and move it 2 squares East and 1 South; standard: blinding hex vs Beholder, 20 vs for, 5 dmg, heh.[/size]

Yes, Master. grunts the Troll, and obediently follows the Beholder, hacking at it in a wide swing, and smashing it into the ground.

[size=-2]move 1 square East; standard: sweeping strike vs Beholder, CRIT for 17 dmg, and knock prone.[/size]

The black unicorn shakes his head violently, then points his horn at the Beholder, and a strange light is coming from it. But it seems to sort no effect. The noble beast, however, seems to be freed of the oppressive heat from before.

[size=-2]standard:fey beguiling, 22 vs Will, save made. Second save made too.[/size]

The Destrachan seems to utter a few vile syllabes, then, he slowly but confidently moves around the fighting, and amits another terrible sound wave towards the Beholder.

[size=-2]move to 44-45-P-Q; standard: sound pulse vs Beholder, 26 vs Ref, 17 dmg.[/size]

The giant spider, with a rattling noise, gets away from the Worg with blinding speed, only to reappear on its flank, again inside the protective mist.

[size=-2]standard:death from above, shift to AD46 and bite Worg: 22 vs AC, 13 dmg, knock prone, and slow and ongoing poison 5(save ends both)[/size]

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
Round 2, continued

The goblin moves the vexing cloud to cover his foes, and fizzles a spell.

The troll swats the beholder to the ground with its greatsword. (ooc: 17 damage, beholder is prone)

The unicorn fails to affect the beholder's mind, but does shrug off the lingering heat. (ooc: 5 fire)

The destrachan moves wide and utters a hideous shriek, but the beholder avoids the worst of it. (ooc: miss)

The spider reappears behind the worg and bites it, dragging the beast to the ground. (ooc: hit, 13 damage, 5 ongoing poison damage and slowed (save ends both)

Initiative

Beholder 187/204, prone
Goblin 86/86
Troll 70/70
Unicorn 51/85
Destrachan 92/92
Spider 80/95
Worg 107/120 prone, 5 ongoing poison damage and slowed (save ends both) <== You're up

Active zones:

Resources used:

[sblock=map]
AtaNerdytenor005.png

[/sblock]

nerdytenor

First Post
"Whoops-a-daisy," bellows the Beholder, rolling itself upright again. Bob whimpers from the effects of the spider bite. "Oh, come on Bob... shake it off, buddy. It's just a spider-bite! Go on and give it a bite back." Bob barks appreciatevely, gets up, and attempts to do just that. "As fer me, I think I could go fer some YOU-NEE-CORN!"

OOC: I believe the unicorn should have taken an extra 10 damage at the start of its last turn, as it was still vulnerable 10 fire at the time.

Attacks below do NOT factor in penalties from the big hot status mess. :)

Worg takes 5 poison damage. Worg gets up from prone, attacks spider, misses.
Worg fails save against poison.

Beloder gets up from prone. Beholder uses Central Eye on Unicorn again, giving it that lovely "vulnerable 10 fire fire attacks do 5 ongoing fire" status effect.

*INSERT OPPORTUNITY ATTACKS HERE*

Beholder uses Eye rays against unicorn and spider (+1 bonus from Worg aura)
Hits unicorn ref 32 for 10 fire damage, and then 10 extra fire damage and 5 ongoing fire from central eye.
Hits spider ref 34 for 20 fire damage.

Random attacks at start of troll (fire), unicorn (telekenisis), spider (telekenisis) turns.

Fire hits troll reflex 27 for 15 fire damage.
Telekenisis hits unicorn fort 21, likely miss after bonuses.
Telekenisis hits spider fort 28, likely hit. Slide spider 1 square east.

Last edited:

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=vulnerable vs. ongoing?]I'm not terribly confident of this, but I think that vulnerability only applies to the initial damage, not the ongoing damage. Partly because of the wording of the vulnerability definition: "When an attack deals damage of the specified type..." Is ongoing damage an attack? I think not. But mostly because if it applies to the ongoing damage as well, then the beholder's central eye power is a) worded strangely, and b) more powerful than I think is appropriate for its level. I'm willing to be persuaded otherwise by convincing counterexamples, but that's my current thinking.[/sblock]

Round 2, continued

The worg jumps up and misses the spider with a bite. 5 poison

The beholder floats back into the air and turns its eyes on the unicorn and spider again, ignoring the troll's answering blow. The unicorn feels the oppressive heat return, and both it and the spider are badly burnt. both hits.

The aura eye rays: hits the troll (15 fire), misses the unicorn, hits the spider. So the spider slides 4 when its turn starts. Where to, NT?

Initiative

Beholder 187/204
Goblin 86/86 <== You're up
Troll 55/70
Unicorn 31/85, bloodied, vulnerable 10 fire and 5 ongoing fire (save ends both)
Destrachan 92/92
Spider 60/95
Worg 102/120 5 ongoing poison damage and slowed (save ends both)

Active zones:

Resources used:

[sblock=map (unchanged)]
AtaNerdytenor005.png

[/sblock]

Remove ads