Monster Mash: Oni vs. Lord Sessadore

covaithe

Explorer
OniSessadore001.png

Feel free to change your initial positions with your initiative rolls; no farther south than row I for Oni, no farther north than AF for Sessadore. Identical monsters share an initiative count to start with; everyone else gets their own roll.

There's plenty of terrain on this map. The decks you start on are 5' above the main deck, with a rail. You can jump down easily enough, but climbing up will take a check, except for going up the stairs of course. The masts provide cover or improved cover according to the usual rules for cover. The ballistas provide cover, but not improved cover. Sorry, no turning the ballistas on your enemies. The lifeboats are difficult terrain. Finally, if you get forced in the drink, and can't fly, it will take a climb check to get back up.

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
OOC: Well, since all my monsters should be going first, might as well post some actions. Do the big reel-looking things beside the masts provide cover? And I assume squares with crates and whatnot in them are difficult terrain, right?

A tall, incredibly thin figure dressed in a long black robe with a full hood goes over the rail. Instead of just leaping the rail, it seems to simply float over it and down to the deck below. It continues to move forward, but the mizzenmast blocks view of it from the other monsters.

A bald human man runs down the stairs, coming to a stop beside the mast.

Finally, an fiery angel flies up from the quarterdeck to hover near the mast.

[sblock=Actions]Mind Flayer
Move: to AB13, jumping over the rail (floating is just flavor, if you're cool with that).
Standard: move to AB14, using Stealth: 26. If I understand the errata'ed Stealth rules correctly, this means I don't take the -5 movement penalty. Either way, that beats all of Oni's passive perceptions.
Minor: none

Celebrant
Move: if the reels give cover, move to AB15. If not, move to AA17
Standard: ready to use Coils of Despair when he can catch at least 2 enemies in the burst, preferably all 3.
Minor: none

Angel
Move: fly to AC15, ascending 45 degrees each square he moves, so he's 5 squares above the deck when he stops.
Standard: total defense (+2 to all defenses tsnt. Also remember Angelic Presence.)
[/sblock]

covaithe

Explorer
[sblock=on terrain and stealth]The reels... let's say they don't give cover, just because I can't think of a good reason for a ship like that to have reels next to the masts, so maybe they're something else. And this map has plenty of terrain already. The crows nests we'll say are 30' high, so 6 squares. I think you're right about the stealth rules. Yes, boxes and crates such as N17 or AF17 are difficult terrain.

By the way, I didn't mention this before, but the sails are furled, and thus don't block line of sight.
[/sblock]

Initiative and status
Mind Flayer 101/101, stealthed against all enemies
Celebrant 117/117, action readied
Angel, 152/152, 5 squares up
Baelnorn 210/210 <== you're up
Moon Wraith 1 76/76
Moon Wraith 2 76/76

Resources used:
none yet

Current Team HP: Oni 362/362, Sessadore 370/370

[sblock=map]
OniSessadore002.png

[/sblock]

Oni

First Post
An impossibly gaunt and dessicated eladrin in fine and flowing, but antiquated robes stands near the front of the ship. In the next instant it was simply closer. Slowly, unnaturally its head turned to gaze on who dare disturb him. Its mouth moved in a sibilant whisper, issuing silent commands. Raising its hand, it gestured toward the bald human. A wave of nightmares and visions of spooks washed over him. Silently, gracefully it motioned for the shadow creatures nearby to circle around.

The strange apparitions glided in opposite directions, like circling wolves. Hovering out over the water on opposite sides of the ship, first one charged the bald human, then the other followed suite as its partner circled.

[sblock=Actions]

Baelnorn
Move: Lich Step to K17, recharge Lich Step
Minor: Voice of Solemnity: +15 vs Will (Target: Angel) (1d20+15=19)
No range is listed on this power, so I'm assuming LoS. If it hits the angel's immobilized and dominated (save ends both), its action should be to drop its weapons.
Standard: Dream Haunting: +15 vs Ref (Target: Celebrant) (1d20+15=18)
Psychic Damage (2d8+4=10)

Moon Wraith 2
Move: move to Q24
Standard: Charge Celebrant moving to Z18Lunar Violation: +15 vs Fort (Target: Celebrant) (1d20+14+1=29)
Necrotic Damage (2d4+7=12)
If that hits the target is weakened until the end of its next turn.
Wraith 2 shifts to AB18.

Moon Wraith 1
Move: move to Q6
Standard: Ready to Charge Celebrant when Moon Wraith 2 slips into flanking position. I'll go ahead and roll on the assumption that comes to pass, unless they somehow stop Wraith 2.
Charge Celebrant moving to Z16Lunar Violation: +17 vs Fort (Target: Celebrant) (1d20+14+1+2=20)
Necrotic Damage (2d4+7=12)
If that hits the target is weakened until the end of its next turn.
Wraith 1 shifts to X14

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Lord Sessadore

Explorer
As the two ghostly apparitions close on the human (whose skin, upon closer inspection, seems to be fine scales), raises a hand, palm facing up and fingers curled into a claw. He hisses some sibilant syllables, and writhing coils of green energy leap from the ship deck and the air around the two wraiths, trapping them where they float.
[sblock=Action]I think the conditions of the celebrant's readied action are met during wraith 1's charge, but I'll leave that up to covaithe. If you say no, pretend this didn't happen - this is mostly just to get the roll out. ;)

Assuming the action is triggered, I'll let covaithe determine when the celebrant throws the attack. Both wraiths can be in the burst as soon as wraith 1 is in row R or south, and in column 8 or east. I realize it will provoke an OA from wraith 2, but that's fine.

Coils of Despair vs. Reflex: Wraith 1 (1d20+14=28), Wraith 2 (1d20+14=29). No damage, but targets are restrained (save ends) on a hit.

I'll leave the rest of my monster's actions until I know what happened and what didn't this round. ;)[/sblock]

Oni

First Post
[sblock=ooc]

I guess the question becomes is this something a creature with phasing can pass through?

[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases