L4W Discussion Thread III

H.M.Gimlord

Explorer
Artificers make good leaders, but it takes a couple of levels for them to develop. I've found, however, that they make a good leader/striker crossover if they spend a feat in melee training for a powerful weapon. Check out Arkavas (link below). The advantage of LEB is that they let you start as high as level 4. I'm not recommending this for L4W, but Artificers at Level 1 are pretty lacking.

If anyone disagrees with me about that last comment, please suggest to me a way to make a good level 1 artificer. I'm really wanting to try one out here when Mikara levels up.

Theroc

First Post
Artificers make good leaders, but it takes a couple of levels for them to develop. I've found, however, that they make a good leader/striker crossover if they spend a feat in melee training for a powerful weapon. Check out Arkavas (link below). The advantage of LEB is that they let you start as high as level 4. I'm not recommending this for L4W, but Artificers at Level 1 are pretty lacking.

If anyone disagrees with me about that last comment, please suggest to me a way to make a good level 1 artificer. I'm really wanting to try one out here when Mikara levels up.

I only have the PHB and PHB 2, so Artificer is not one of my options. If you're not speaking to me, I apologize for the confusion, and wish you luck with building your artificer.

Mal, I believe you've managed to make me change from Paladin, lol. Warden looks good. Though, before I go statting up, could someone tell me whether or not I'd be shooting myself in the foot if I dump wisdom(since charisma can affect my saves?) I'm doing Earthstrength, so the AC bonus is con, not wis.

garyh

First Post
If you go with an Earthstrength Warden, you can safely ignore Wisdom and have Str/Con be your highest stats, with your Cha being your high Will stat.

And to answer your earlier question, a 12 or 14 in your 3rd and 4th stats (25 point buy can get you 16 16 14 12 10 8 before racial bonuses) is absolutely fine.

Theroc

First Post
So,
Str: 18(16 Point buy+2[racial])
Con: 16
Dex: 11
Int: 10
Wis: 8
Cha: 15(13 point buy+2 [racial])

Would be a decent setup for an Earthstrength Dragonborn Warden?

garyh

First Post
So,
Str: 18(16 Point buy+2[racial])
Con: 16
Dex: 11
Int: 10
Wis: 8
Cha: 15(13 point buy+2 [racial])

Would be a decent setup for an Earthstrength Dragonborn Warden?

I'd switch the Int and Wis (Perception, Nature, and Dungeoneering are likely to be more important to the character than Arcana, History, or Religion) but yeah, that'd be fine.

Also, those scores only add up to 22 points. In Living 4th Edition, we use a 25 point buy budget, so feel free to bump up a score or two. :)

Theroc

First Post
I'd switch the Int and Wis (Perception, Nature, and Dungeoneering are likely to be more important to the character than Arcana, History, or Religion) but yeah, that'd be fine.

Also, those scores only add up to 22 points. In Living 4th Edition, we use a 25 point buy budget, so feel free to bump up a score or two. :)

Would a 17 con be a good choice for a bump-up? And I forgot, 4th doesn't use int to grant skillpoints and the like, does it?

garyh

First Post
Would a 17 con be a good choice for a bump-up? And I forgot, 4th doesn't use int to grant skillpoints and the like, does it?

Bumping your Con would indeed be a good choice, because then at level 4 when you get to raise two stats of your choice by 1, you bump Con to an even number for an increase in the modifier.

And that's right, 4e does NOT use Int in determining skills known. Each class gets a certain number of skills to choose from their class list (some classes get some skill preset like Rogues getting Stealth and Thievery, Wizards getting Arcana, or Clerics getting Religion). You get +5 to a trained skill (no points or ranks). To train additional skills you can spend a feat to multiclass (most multi-class feats give a skill) or to take the Skill Training feat.

Theroc

First Post
Where do I find the template on the nifty graph thing I keep seeing in people's math section. Mine didn't do that when I copied the template.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
If you go to someone else's sheet, edit their math section, copy everything and paste into yours it should be fine. I mean, with all the wrong values, of course, but the tables will be there.

Remove ads