Professional GM Diary: Final Preparations

For those of you who don't know about "Caravan of Blades", it is a pioneer pay-for-play DnD 4e campaign that I'm planning to run as a part-time income supplement from March into August.

I've had to delay it alot but I'm doing this in four days from now no matter what.

Day #1 is going to be next Monday, March 9. The website support should be ready by tomorrow morning.

Tomorrow I'm going to be putting out flyers for the campaign. There are two locations for the campaign that I've narrowed the list down to. I'm making my final decision tomorrow after I check out both places one last time before Monday. They're Cafe 28 and the South Street Seaport shopping area food court (NYC). I'm leaning more towards Cafe 28 though because it has a good reputation among local gamers as a place to meet up.

The sessions are going to be 4 hours long, with an entry fee per player of $12. The price is equivalent to the average movie ticket price in Manhattan. Considering this is a city where paying $35 for a bowl of soup or $60 for an off-broadway ticket is not unheard of, it seems like a good target price.

Earlier I had considered 2-1/2 to 3 hour sessions but the quality of the sessions would have suffered from the time constraint. 4 hours is a good number especially if I organize all the paperwork well and avoid common problems that produce time lag in gameplay.

There will be 2 sessions per day on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday and 1 session on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Each session will have a maximum of 7 players at the table but I expect an average of 5 at least after the first couple of weeks.

Entry fee is going to be paid up front but I'm making refunds available during the first hour of a session so I have that first hour to convince the players that my work and performance as a game master are worth paying for.

So challenge of sudden death right off the bat with the first session.

I've had a couple of months to figure out how to make my game mastering unique and professionally entertaining compared to most free campaign game masters. There are some game mastering techniques that only a rare few game masters can pull off successfully. I'll be describing some of what I'm going to be doing at the end of the first week in a new thread (Saturday or Sunday of that week). Why I can't reveal my special techniques now is because they may be difficult to take seriously until successfully used. I'll be chronicling my exploits in a series of weekly threads.

I'm designing the flyers tonight after I finish setting up the web support. I'll post a description here later.

weem

First Post
If I had no one to run a game for, and no one to run a game for me, I would do it sure thing ;) $12 a session? No problem - if that's what it took to get in a good game and yea, it would need to be a pretty good/fun game otherwise I would not continue (to play/pay). I don't mind not-so-great games - but I wouldn't pay for them.

I would not play in a public place though (too noisy/distractive among other things). It would need to happen at one of the players places.

I don't even know what to say about this. I hope it works out for you, but still...pay to play?! Is there really a demand for this?

You would also be surprised how much people in NYC typically spend on entertainment. Everything is more expensive especially in Manhattan where most of my customer base will hail from.

So given the location it's not that much of a stretch for me to get people to pay me for this as long as I rock hard each session especially in the first hour when players are entitled to leave with refunds if they don't find my work pleasing.

I've spent much time going over all the dos and don'ts of GMing and I've managed to develop a potentially groundbreaking combination of methods of running a game. I don't expect much for the first 2 weeks but if I manage to get the majority of players to stay to finish sessions, then I may be on to something good. Maybe even book-worthy.

Charwoman Gene

Adventurer
I'm considering going just to steal his "secret methods" or mock him horribly on EnWorld after the game. (Or turthfully report back that it was afun game)

Good luck, but still, you don't seem to be able to make your mind up about the price point. :)

Actually it was only until most recently that I came to realize that my pricing shouldn't be based on what people post on the forums but rather the average entertainment price of the specific area I'm working in.

Movie ticket price sounds the most appropriate so I decided to go with that. People in Manhattan are willing to shell out over $12 for a bad movie so I figure they'll pay that much for a good game session.

I sincerely invite all other GMs to participate in my sessions and try to steal my methods because the amount of thinking involved and the talents required would dissuade most from even attempting to replicate my GMing style.

I'll give a hint about one of my methods: It requires a genetically inherited trait that must be well practiced as well as an individually developed knack that takes years to cultivate. I intend to open each session with this method.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases