FORGOTTEN REALMS: Songs of the Realms

Michael Morris

First Post
Hello all.

One of the highlights of Gencon this year for me was meeting Ed Greenwood and singing him two of the songs I've written music for in the Realms... One of them - "Selune Doth Slowly Rise" - is entirely my own. The other - "The Leafturning" - had its lyrics written by Greenwood and I wrote the music to it. I asked him if I was on the right track with the songs and I got an enthusiastic yes as an answer. I promised then to get a CD ready for next Gencon. My only real problem is choosing which songs - I've written more than will fit on a single CD, and mastering more than 7 songs will take more time than I have in any event.

These are the songs I'm thinking of fully realizing on the CD (maybe CD's - a two disc set - depending on the length of the songs). I'm aiming for a spread of songs...

1) The Road to Adventure (Theme from Baldur's Gate)
The rolling high adventure main theme of Baldur's Gate is instantly recognizable, but very, very short (about 30 seconds). I'm thinking of doing a new arangement that takes it out to about 5 to 7 minutes.

2) Love Theme of Shandril & Narm (Theme from Shandril's Saga)
This is a unique theme to celebrate the triumph and tragedy of the three novels.

3) Flowers in the Wind (Title Theme from my Realms Novel).
I've decided against removing Tasha and Flowers in the Wind from the Realms - even if it means that the book can never be properly published. Many of my Realms songs are drawn from this book which is still dear to my heart.

4) Selune Doth Slowly Rise (Cormyrean Love Ballad)
This song appears in Flowers in the Wind though I wrote it before the novel. I had the pleasure of singing it to Greenwood at GC and I gave him a handwritten copy of the lyrics to this song.

5) The Leafturning (from Spellfire)
Another song from Spellfire, this one's lyrics are by Greenwood.

6)The Selenara (Elven Dance Theme)
This song is alluded to in Flowers... It has no words.

7) Where All Shadows Play
This song is on the Dusk website already. Originally written for the Realms, I've applied this song in my own setting and also in the UK production of Brief Encounters.

8) Lamentation or I Love You
This song is for Hand of Fire.

There should be room for two more. I'm thinking of doing something for the Drizzt series, though I need to read that series first (something long overdue on my reading list).

Many of my songs are online as MP3's at the Dusk website here at ENWorld, and I hope to get these online soon for input before showing them to Ed next Gencon. As to their publication, I don't know yet. I want to write these songs down for now, I'll worry about that later.

Remove ads