SciFi channel to become.. SyFy channel

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Eh- horror, fantasy and sci-fi all share some common roots and overlapping themes, so it doesn't bug me much that they're playing more horror and fantasy these days.

I would, however, prefer any one of those three over ECW.

Orius

Legend
It's a dumb name. I can understand the rename for stuff like copyrights and related crap, even if I still think it's stupid. But do they really think it looks edgy and hip? Are marketing majors required to takes credits in courses for Lame and Suck these days? That's the only logical explanation I can find for the sheer absurdity of modern advertisement. Here's a clue people: you want people to actually watch ads, not give them an even greater excuse to channel surf at a higher warp factor.

Ah, well I suppose it fits in with the dumbing down that the channel has been apparently getting over the last few years. I don't mind a broad base of speculative fiction, even horror, but stuff like wrestling and "reality" TV don't really have much of a place on this channel.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
If it had been "Psi-Fi," they could have used "Φ" or "φ" as part of their symbology.

Again, though, it might have been better if they had gone for a complete name change.

Heck, they hinted at a good one in some of their own ads: IF (Imaginative Fiction?) TV.

but stuff like wrestling and "reality" TV don't really have much of a place on this channel.

No argument on the former, but as for the latter, it depends.

If we're talking about documentaries about UFOs, "ghostbusters" or cryptozoology hunts, that's cool.

If, OTOH, they do a show called Real Paranormal World:
This is the true story... of seven strangers... picked to live in a hanuted house...to ghost-hunt together and have their lives taped... to find out what happens... when dead people stop being polite... and start getting real nasty...The Real Paranormal World.

I may have to shoot my cablebox.

Last edited:

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
They should have just gone with WTF or WTFi, at least people could watch they show then and name the channel!

:mad:

Quote from the story
"The testing we've done [on Syfy] has been incredibly positive," Howe said. "If I were texting, this is how I would spell it."

Dude, it reads SLY FLY, who the frell did you test this on.

Last edited:

Steel_Wind

Legend
Best comment I read on this was this: "Syfy? It sounds like a cutesy name for syphylis"

I'm guessing that didn't emerge from focus group testing or you probably would be getting "Psi-Fi" instead :)

I'm in Canada. We don't get the SciFi channel here. Here, the Canadian equivalent is our SF channel known as "Space: The Imagination Station".

If Space changes its name to Spayse, I'm just gonna drop my cable box and torrent everything!

Last edited:

jaerdaph

#UkraineStrong
On a semi-related note, I recently saw The Madness of King George III and was wondering if parts I and II are available on DVD in America yet....

Thank you, SciFi, for thinking so highly of your audience. :(

Rackhir

Explorer
Well it looks like TV Tropes.org will have to put a new base definition in for Wall Banger.

On a semi-related note, I recently saw The Madness of King George III and was wondering if parts I and II are available on DVD in America yet....

George Lucas is currently photoshoping them to "improve" things... You did want more ewoks in them right?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases