SciFi channel to become.. SyFy channel

Krug

Newshound
Possible new series for SciFi/SyFy:
Sci Fi sets up three RHI miniseries

Sci Fi has greenlighted a trio of miniseries fantasy projects, including two that will serve as potential series pilots, and two of which are based on classic titles.

The network has ordered a retelling of "Alice in Wonderland"; a fresh take on the comic-book hero "The Phantom"; and "Riverworld," from a series of fantasy books by Philip Jose Farmer. All the projects are four-hour movies from prolific production company RHI Entertainment.

"Riverworld," about a photojournalist transported to a mysterious world occupied by everyone who has ever lived on Earth, and "Phantom" will air as backdoor pilots -- titles under consideration for a series order contingent on drawing a large enough audience. It's the programming model the network has used with success before, as in the case of "Battlestar Galactica."

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
How about a Saturday morning cartoon show?

"Baby Aliens vs Baby Predators" perhaps.

Or a yet another Flash Gordon re-do with Larry the Cable Guy as Dr. Hans Zarkov?

Or...Timothy Stack as Bill Blyden, Patton Oswalt as Igor Olman, Brian Posehn as Matt Maclimore, David Cross as Carson, Sarah Silverman as Kayleigh Hardcastle, Janeane Garofalo as Gilly Woods the Perky Goth, Patrice O'Neal as Ken Mills as the cast of a Dork Tower live action mini-series?

Aeolius

Adventurer
I think they should bypass the whole "no unsolicited ideas accepted" approach and have a few of their studios hold screenplay contests for the Saturday night movies. I have a few in mind. ;)

And bring back reruns of "Captain Scarlet" and "Stingray".

Orius

Legend
Lets see,

NBC did an all star Alice in Wonderland in 1999. Alice in Wonderland (1999) (TV)

and Tim Burton is doing a big screen version with Johnny Depp. Alice in Wonderland (2010)

I can't help but think that Syphi is just cashing in and won't do it justice.

Yeah, Alice in wonderland is kind of filler here, since it's pretty familiar and has been done enough times.

Ah, geez! Why not just go with the initials SF? Like TSR (which initially stands for Tactical Studies Rule, but there is nothing tactical about their published D&D role-playing games).

I dunno, I think maybe it's like those Mac vs. PC commercials: SF is like PC, too stiff and formal and therefore square, while SyFy is Mac, hip, stylish and cool. Well, in the network's eyes anyway.

Ranger REG

Explorer
I dunno, I think maybe it's like those Mac vs. PC commercials: SF is like PC, too stiff and formal and therefore square, while SyFy is Mac, hip, stylish and cool. Well, in the network's eyes anyway.
Sorry, there's nothing hip about Mac. Same applies to "SyFy."

-- I'm a PC. :cool:

Remove ads