Monster question: Fire Beetle Fire Spray incur OA?

jhilahd

Explorer
This came up last night. In the 3 levels of gaming we've done(roughly 10 sessions) this hasn't come up.

I ruled that it would draw an opportunity attack because it is an area attack.

The dragonborn fighter was taking on a fire beetle. On the beetle's turn, it did it's close blast Fire Spray.

Fire Spray (standard, rechare 5,6) • Fire
Close blast 3, +4 vs. Reflex, 3d6 fire damage.

Just for reference.

When it did, the dragonborn took her OA. Didn't kill it, but sure put the hurt on it. :D

Did I rule correctly?

I think the distinction I'm looking for is area attack vs area power.

GorTeX

First Post
It is not an Area attack, but a Close attack (both Close Bursts and Close Blasts are close attacks) and do not draw OA's.

(the following are paraphrased, not quoted directly)

PHB page 269: Opportunity Action: Triggered by an adjacent enemy making a ranged attack or an area attack
PHB page 270: Four attack types: Melee, Ranged, Close, Area.
PHB Page 271: Close Attack definition. Note that it does not have a 'provoke Opportunity Attacks' line, while Area and ranged attacks do.

Last edited:

Rechan

Adventurer
This came up last night. In the 3 levels of gaming we've done(roughly 10 sessions) this hasn't come up. ... The dragonborn fighter was taking on a fire beetle. On the beetle's turn, it did it's close blast Fire Spray.
You have a dragonborn fighter in the party, with a close blast attack (breath weapon), and it never came up of the DB using the blast in melee and whether that drew an OA?

jhilahd

Explorer
Thanks.

And no. She's never unleashed when someone has been right on top of her. They've all been at least a square a way.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases