Why aren't there short, fat PC races?

Emirikol

Adventurer
I'm glancing through the PHB2 and realize more and more that only tall, skinny people are considered smart and good and all-that. I get the impression that the next race is going to be 9 feet tall because that's evidently where all this is going. Why arent' there short fat races? Even gnomes, with their 'high cheekbones' must have been put on the Atkins diet and now working out with warlords who have the athletic-trainer feat.

If I want to play a short, fat race, (by definition) what are my options?

jh
P.s. I'm not talking about annoying (below)..but instead, short, fat, ugly but still smart, strong, and respected.
mort.jpg

Last edited:

Fallen Seraph

First Post
Well you figure that the pictures are showcasing the PCs of the race. They would be more likely physically fit.

Humans, Dwarves, Gnomes, Halflings, etc. I am sure have a short and fat members of their race. You wouldn't picture a modern soldier as someone who is overweight, and same view is taken for the average PC.

Klaus

First Post
I'm glancing through the PHB2 and realize more and more that only tall, skinny people are considered smart and good and all-that. I get the impression that the next race is going to be 9 feet tall because that's evidently where all this is going. Why arent' there short fat races? Even gnomes, with their 'high cheekbones' must have been put on the Atkins diet and now working out with warlords who have the athletic-trainer feat.

If I want to play a short, fat race, (by definition) what are my options?

jh
P.s. I'm not talking about annoying (below)..but instead, short, fat, ugly but still smart, strong, and respected.
mort.jpg
If you went on tiresome cross-country treks that involved lots of climbing, running and carrying weight all day long, and lived on a steady diet of dry rations, stonemeal biscuits or elven bread, you'd be fit as well. Face it, adventurers live active lives and don't carry around much food. Hard to put on some pounds that way.

JustKim

First Post
Obesity is always an option if you simply give your character a weight above the average range. The same is true for height and attractiveness. If you design a race with all of these qualities innately, say some kind of squat humanoid manatee, then what you have is a race many players will not touch at all- see how D&D and Shadowrun both make dwarves overpowered just to get people to play them.

Tinker Gnome

Explorer
Obesity is always an option if you simply give your character a weight above the average range. The same is true for height and attractiveness. If you design a race with all of these qualities innately, say some kind of squat humanoid manatee, then what you have is a race many players will not touch at all- see how D&D and Shadowrun both make dwarves overpowered just to get people to play them.

I get players who play Dwarves BECAUSE they are short and squat.:p

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases