Modern & Futuristic Weapons

Sigurd13

First Post
Sorry for the blatant self promotion, but I hoped I could get some further feedback on these weapons. My introduction of these items into the game won't be for a while, but I'd rather get the feedback before the thread disappears into the quagmire of "page 13 obscurity."

illathid

First Post
These look pretty good. Any chance we could get a couple more futuristic weapons? I'd love to see some Lasrifles, maybe even a Chainsword to go with the Ripper.

As you've might've been able to guess, i'm trying to make a 4e Dark Heresy crossover. And your weapons have seemed like the best ones I've seen so far.

Sigurd13

First Post
These look pretty good. Any chance we could get a couple more futuristic weapons? I'd love to see some Lasrifles, maybe even a Chainsword to go with the Ripper.

As you've might've been able to guess, i'm trying to make a 4e Dark Heresy crossover. And your weapons have seemed like the best ones I've seen so far.

Firstly, thanks for the compliment! As for your ideas on other futuristic weapons, I'll see what I can come up with.

Did you have anything specific in mind, besides chainswords and laser rifles? Do you have some links to some Dark Heresy materials so I can get a better feel for the setting?

I'll update when I can!

illathid

First Post
Firstly, thanks for the compliment! As for your ideas on other futuristic weapons, I'll see what I can come up with.

Did you have anything specific in mind, besides chainswords and laser rifles? Do you have some links to some Dark Heresy materials so I can get a better feel for the setting?

I'll update when I can!
Well Dark heresy is a Warhammer 40k RPG, so if your familiar with that setting at all the armaments available are all fairly consistant. You could also go here to check out for more information on the different weapons available:

Main Page - Lexicanum

Anywasy, I should go to bed. But I'll check back regularly, and maybe even comment more on the rules. Thanks for the quick reply.

Sigurd13

First Post
Sorry for not posting sooner... I've been pretty busy with work and I've been sleeping more to catch up. I'm also fiddling with updating the look of the thread as well. Hopefully next week I should have some new weapons up.

I'm planning on adding a template for Vibroblades, a medium sized chainblade (think of the ripper as a mechanized short sword and the chainsaw as a broadsword), two reach weapons, beam weapons (still writing the associated alt fire property) and several weapons that possess an area or close firing mode by default (ie rocket launcher).

I've also got a list of alternative ammo and accessories coming up. So stay tuned!

Sigurd13

First Post
Sorry for taking so long to update! It takes a LONG time to format those tables (a lot of tinkering with spaces. (Does someone have a neat trick for tabs and alignments in html?) And I've been sort of grappling with a couple new weapon ideas and modes of fire that don't seem 'finished' yet. For example, I'm not totally satisfied with the Beam alt fire capability yet... it seems too close to the Spray firing mode... and I feel as though using an area effect to target a ranged attack is a little clunky.

Ideally I *ought* to invent new types of area attacks (cone, arc, etc) but that's REALLY going against my philosophy of 'low impact' rule creation. Of course, you can hardly say that adding futuristic weapons to a fantasy setting is low impact.
I guess that must make me some sort of hypocrite. LOL ^_^

Thoughts?

Last edited:

turk128

First Post
Browsing through this, I really like what I see: you have a solid basis for something here, more so than any sci-fi 4e write-up I've read.

Some suggestions...

_______Taze_______
Your weapon discharges electricity, dazing the target.
At-Will Weapon

Standard Action Melee weapon
Attack:
Strength vs. Fortitude
Hit: Half[1w] damage and the target is dazed until the end of your next turn.
Increase damage to [1w] + Strength modifier at 21st level.
Effect: You must Reload before you may use this weapon to attack again.
Special: If you daze a target in this way in 3 consecutive rounds, the target goes unconscious (save ends).
Some change to make it flow a little better:
Hit: Half[1w] damage and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn. If target is already slowed, target is dazed instead. If target is already dazed, target goes unconscious (save ends).

Also, more things should expand the minor action to force the player to really think strategically with how they use their minor (or converting their move):

*Guns that have high proficiency... instead of giving that high prof in the stat, leave it at +2 and give it a property.
Careful Aim: Minor Action
You gain a +1 power bonus to attack with this weapon for the first attack you make with it, before the end of your next turn.

*Stabilizing... for Long Burst, Spray, or Burst add this: after use, receive a -2 to hit with this weapon until a minor action is used to stabilize.

*Range Finding: Minor Action
You increase the range of this weapon by 5 squares for the first attack you make with it, before the end of your next turn.

*Aim Assist: Minor Action
This weapon gains the Brutal 1 property for the first attack you make with it, before the end of your next turn.

Instead of reloading for everything... put something like this in:
Alt Fire Switch: Minor Action
You swap this weapon into Alt Fire mode. If the Weapon is already in Alt Fire mode, the weapon switches into Nomal Fire mode. Alt Fire mode can only be used for basic attacks. You cannot use a weapon in Alt Fire mode with any Class' At-Will, Encounter, Utility or Daily powers.

(This way it forces the player to use the weapon's powers or their own... unless they somehow have cool powers that allow them to use weapon's Alt Fire.)

Also, some of the Weapon Properties are way powerful. Spray should be the only one that counts as a ranged basic. Spray can be buffed a little more: make the secondary attack autohit.

illathid

First Post
Quick question: Why do some of the melee weapons like the Ripper have the "load free" property? That seems like a useless property as they don't have anything to load.

Also, I'd be interested in seeing how you'd see Bolt weapons or Melta weapons working under your system.

Last edited:

blalien

First Post
Overall I like. I appreciate the effort, and I might actually get an opportunity to playtest them at some point. I would get rid of the 1d6 after every attack. It drags down combat by a split second (that adds up over time) and only makes sense for rapid-fire weapons anyway. I think you're better off just keeping track of ammo, or ignoring it all together.

I couldn't comment on the weapons themselves until I get a chance to use them. If you want to challenge yourself, though, design weapons for civilizations tens of thousands of years down the line. Like, a society so advanced that compared to them we're cavemen throwing rocks at each other. A few ideas are:
*A device shaped like a paperclip you can wrap around your finger. Thought-activating the device causes a molecule-thin beam to emit from the end and penetrate any surface. Useful for cutting holes in walls and people, or for slicing a building in half like a katana in a bad anime.
*Super-hot napalm that consumes anything, even metal
*A device that creates a microscopic black hole that exists only for an instant. Like the Large Hadron Collider in the palm of your hand.
*And of course, armor that protects you against any of this.
I don't know, work with it if you feel like it. Believe it or not it would actually be useful for my campaign.

Finally,
Neutron Pistol - Hand held laser weapon fires a calibrated sequence of supercharged particles.
Sorry, I had to laugh. Neutrons are not charged particles. Lasers are not charged either, and they only behave like particles when you know their precise position.

Sigurd13

First Post
I keep meaning to update but life keeps getting in my way! Scheduling conflicts and sinus infections abounding! GAh!

Quick question: Why do some of the melee weapons like the Ripper have the "load free" property? That seems like a useless property as they don't have anything to load.

Also, I'd be interested in seeing how you'd see Bolt weapons or Melta weapons working under your system.

The glow rod has the property because it has the Alt Fire[Taze] property. So, unless the alt fire has just been used (requiring a minor to Reload) it's load free.

As for the ripper and lacerator.... hmm... that's a good question Illathid. I suppose it's to reflect the fact that they DO require ammunition (batteries) but it was never meant to bog down the combat mechanics. Of course, that's a fluff reason, so I suppose I'll just eliminate it. *edited*

The bolta/melta weapons may not actually be weapons, but alternative forms of ammunition. I'm currently working on a list of different types of ammunitions (bullets, laser modules, grenades, etc) that will change the damage type of the already existing weapons. That's not to say I can't come up with a custom weapon if you're interested. ^_^

Overall I like. I appreciate the effort, and I might actually get an opportunity to playtest them at some point. I would get rid of the 1d6 after every attack. It drags down combat by a split second (that adds up over time) and only makes sense for rapid-fire weapons anyway. I think you're better off just keeping track of ammo, or ignoring it all together.

First of all, thank you so much for your consideration! I'm always pleased to hear that others find my ideas useful!

Are you refering to the 'Empty 6' mechanic? That one was reserved for the heavy weapons which either had 1) a limited ammunition capacity as in the case of the grenade launcher or 2) HUGE ammunition capacity as in the case of the chain gun and flamer.

I felt these weapons represented two special cases:
On the one hand a typical grenade launcher has between 5 and 12 shots- so it didn't warrant a load standard or load minor (especially since you were using a minor to Reload). But at some point the weapon was going to require some extra action to reload.

Alternatively, the flamer and chain gun both hold an extraodinary ammount of ammo, but also use an indeterminate ammount per attack... which also justified NOT giving either a standard/minor load...but requires that extra time be spent to reload the weapon at some point.

I felt the 'Empty 6' mechanic successfully represented both of these scenarios, while at the same time providing for that cinematic 'empty click' moment in action movies. It is these three, and only these 3 weapons (so far) that use this mechanic.

It's probably more fair to just count ammo (since you could theoretically run into a streak of 6's) but I just loathe that level of book keeping. I refuse to count bolts, arrows, sling stones, bullets, batteries, number of rounds or otherwise. This belief isn't helped by the fact that 4e has done away with durations in rounds, lending credence to this philosophy. ^_~

However, of the three weapons, I think perhaps only the chain gun and the flamer are the only weapons truly deserving of this mechanic. After all, how time consuming can it be to click in a new cylinder clip of grendades? And of course, if this mechanic is slowing down your game, then feel free to track the ammo differently. The 'rules' represented here are merely guides- you are of course welcome to use RULE #0 at any time.

As for you playtesting, that would be awesome! Please let me know if the overall mechanic (the Alt Fire[]/Reloading mechanic specifically) seems balanced! I'm eager to have that kind of feedback! Thanks! ^_^

... design weapons for civilizations tens of thousands of years down the line. Like, a society so advanced that compared to them we're cavemen throwing rocks at each other. A few ideas are:
*A device shaped like a paperclip... Useful for cutting holes in walls and people...
*Super-hot napalm that consumes anything, even metal
*A device that creates a microscopic black hole...
*And of course, armor that protects you against any of this.
I don't know, work with it if you feel like it. Believe it or not it would actually be useful for my campaign.

I'm currently working on a suite of alternative ammunitions and accessories, I'll keep these ideas in mind.

Sorry, I had to laugh. Neutrons are not charged particles. Lasers are not charged either, and they only behave like particles when you know their precise position.

LOL! A physicist/chemist/hard science major, I am NOT! I prefer literature and the soft sciences thank you! LMAO!

No, you are absolutely correct! It's the protons and electrons that are charged and clearly a weapon that fires neutrons cannot be a laser weapon. Coming up with a fluff description quickly can lead to these kind of flubs! I've changed it a little... see what you think!

I will say this though, there WAS a semi-scientific reason for choosing neutrons- they have the most mass of any of the sub atomic particles and seem most likely to cause physical trauma. Right? That's sciency-ish right? ^_^

Browsing through this, I really like what I see: you have a solid basis for something here, more so than any sci-fi 4e write-up I've read.

Thank you for the compliment and the feedback! ^_^

Some change to make it flow a little better:
Hit: Half[1w] damage and the target is slowed until the end of your next turn. If target is already slowed, target is dazed instead. If target is already dazed, target goes unconscious (save ends).
This is definitely a possibility for Taze. I like the continuity of this description, especially since it is also represented several times in the Monster Manual. I had thought about it when I first conceptualized Taze, but honestly didn't like the first condition to be slow. Tazed people are not slow! They are paralyzed! (lol)
Hmm...maybe immobilize would be better as the first status condition?

Also, more things should expand the minor action to force the player to really think strategically with how they use their minor (or converting their move):

*Guns that have high proficiency... instead of giving that high prof in the stat, leave it at +2 and give it a property.
Careful Aim: Minor Action
You gain a +1 power bonus to attack with this weapon for the first attack you make with it, before the end of your next turn.

*Stabilizing... for Long Burst, Spray, or Burst add this: after use, receive a -2 to hit with this weapon until a minor action is used to stabilize.

*Range Finding: Minor Action
You increase the range of this weapon by 5 squares for the first attack you make with it, before the end of your next turn.

*Aim Assist: Minor Action
This weapon gains the Brutal 1 property for the first attack you make with it, before the end of your next turn.

Firstly, I think you are right to add more options that capitalized on using Minor actions to make the decision for the characters even more meaningful. I totally agree with that sentiment.

However, my gut feeling with the majority of these suggestions is that they ought NOT be weapon properties. Maybe they could be options unlocked by accessories? This seems especially true for the Range Finding and Aim Assist abilities... can't you see these abilities as part of a laser guidance system on a rocket launcher? Or maybe as a attachments to a sniper rifle?

Careful Aim seems more like a new combat manuever honestly. Something between standing and prone, like:

-------------------------
CAREFUL AIM: MINOR ACTION
- Drop into a crouch and draw a steady bead on your enemy.

CROUCH CONDITION:

• You gain a +1 bonus to ranged attack rolls.
  • You grant combat advantage to enemies making melee attacks against you.
  • You get a +1 bonus to all defenses against ranged attacks from nonadjacent enemies.
  • You’re kneeling on the ground. (If you’re flying, you safely descend a distance equal to your fly speed. If you don’t reach the ground, you fall.)
  • You take a –1 penalty to melee attack rolls.
  • You are slowed.
  • You can standup as a minor action.
  • You can crouch as a minor action.
Stabilizing is actually a really interesting concept. I feel like it goes REALLY well with some of the weapons, but having to both reload AND stabilize seems like too much of a penalty... unless I rewrote long burst, spray and burst like you say...I will definitely be thinking this one over.

As for the suggestion to knock down the weapon proficiencies, I'm sorry to say but I strongly disagree. I don't think it's fair to have an entire suite of weapons that only go up to +2. It's unlike any other weapon group already printed. I already took the high prof into account when I wrote these weapons- those with high prof typically lack the variety of extra powers that the other weapons have... and I think that's a good balance. Of course, if you happen to playtest, try it out for yourself and let me know what you think then. ^_^

Also, some of the Weapon Properties are way powerful. Spray should be the only one that counts as a ranged basic. Spray can be buffed a little more: make the secondary attack autohit.
I'm not really sure what you mean here. If you feel like the weapon properties are really powerful, why do you think Spray needs to be improved? Do items like Bracers of Perfect Shot make you wary of the ranged basic quality? Please elaborate. ^_^

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases