[OOC-D&D 4e: Forgotten Realms] A Paid Trip to Spellhold

Herobizkit

Adventurer
====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&DI Character Builder ======
Lysandros 'Sandy' Belmades, level 1
Halfling, Bard
Bardic Virtue: Virtue of Cunning

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 10, Dex 16, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 16.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 10, Con 10, Dex 14, Int 14, Wis 14, Cha 14.

AC: 16 Fort: 10 Reflex: 15 Will: 14
HP: 22 Surges: 7 Surge Value: 5

TRAINED SKILLS
Arcana +7, Bluff +8, Streetwise +8, Diplomacy +10, Insight +7, Religion +7

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics +6, Dungeoneering +3, Endurance +1, Heal +3, History +3, Intimidate +4, Nature +3, Perception +3, Stealth +4, Thievery +6, Athletics +1

FEATS
Bard: Ritual Caster
Level 1: Initiate of the Faith

POWERS
Bard at-will 1: Misdirected Mark
Bard at-will 1: Vicious Mockery
Bard encounter 1: Blunder
Bard daily 1: Stirring Shout

ITEMS
Ritual Book, Adventurer's Kit, Implement, Wand, Ocarina (Woodwind), Leather Armor, Cloth Armor (Basic Clothing), Shortbow, Arrows (30), Light Shield, Dagger, Holy Symbol
RITUALS
Comprehend Language, Traveler's Chant

Warning: It's a bit long. :)
[sblock=background]Ever since I was a young hin, I knew that the wind would carry me to my fortune.

I was born and raised in Athkatla, one of the major cities of the region known as Amn. The city was a stagnant pit where only they who held the most coin had any real power. My parents and their parents have always lived there. From what I've been told, I come from a long line of entertainers - jugglers, tumblers, and musicians, mostly. My family and I were quite poor, but we made do by performing in an all-halfling street circus. My family and our friends would travel from quarter to quarter, putting on all sorts of acrobatic displays for coin. The younglings would beg during the performances, playing on the sympathies of the crowd. It worked more often than not, but that didn't stop many of the younglings from becoming cutpurses. I did not want to become a cutpurse; crime only paid if you didn't get caught, but Goddess help you if you did. All crimes in Amn were punishable by fines, and if you didn't have the coin, well, you were pretty much at the city's mercy. While my siblings (all four of them) scrounged for coppers, I was wandering the markets and seeing the sights.

I spent many a ten-day wandering up and down the the streets, examining goods and sundries brought in from all over the Sword Coast. I enjoyed the bustle of the crowd and the ferverent haggling over prices. I often thought to myself that if I were rich, I wouldn't have to haggle - I could just buy whatever I wanted and that would be that. My favourite time of day was sunset. I used to sit by the docks and watch the sun sink below the horizon while dozens of ships came into and left port. As I grew older, I came to be a familiar face to many of the merchants. I would often run small errands here and there in exchange for a coin or two, or sometimes for small treats - an apple here, a sweetmeat there. I recall one fellow in particular, one Valthur Ortek. He was a Dwarf who dealt in rare tomes and maps. He claimed to have travelled all over the Realms in search of rare and ancient documents. He had many stories to tell, both from the books he sold and from his own personal experiences. He had such a mesmerizing way with words that I would oft find myself running home after dark to receive a scolding from my mother. I knew the streets weren't safe, but I simply couldn't leave until Valthur had finished his tales.

One autumn day, Valthur told me that he had heard whispers of an elven ruin somewhere South of Amn, deep within the monstrous territories of the Orcs. He said that was going to be leaving Amn for a long time and that he did not know when he would return. This saddened me, as he was nearly as close to me as family, or so I thought at the time. In parting, he gifted me a leather and gold-bound tome with pictures of all sorts of mechanical wonders. One picture in particular caught my attention - I believe it was called a 'windmill'. Something resonated inside me as I read all the potential uses a windmill could have - grinding corn, drawing water, sawing wood... the possibilities seemed endless. The concept that a simple construct, harnessing the power of wind, could make simple so many laborious tasks was too amazing for me to ignore. I ran home to show the book to my parents. I told them that we didn't have to work in the streets any more - with wind power, we could move to a nicer place like Crimmor or Lake Esmel and be farmers. My parents told me that we couldn't leave the city until they had settled their debts, but encouraged me to pursue my interests all the same. I told them that if that's what they had to do, I'd do my best to make as much money as I could.

I turned to the best source of wealth I could think of. I made my way to Goldspires, a temple dedicated to Waukeen, Goddess of wealth and trade. For several periods, I went there every sunrise and prayed for guidance. One morning I was approached by a young human female who called herself Zaria Umaldryn. She noted that I seemed to possess a wisdom beyond my years and encouraged me to become one of the faithful. This was definitely my chance to change my destiny, and I readily accepted, becoming a Goldeyes in the process. Once my initation was complete, I was put to work in the church library. Let me tell you, having easy access to so much knowledge was the greatest thing a youngling could ask for (well, this youngling, anyway). I pored over text after text, learning more and more about the world at large and all its wonders. I paid particular attention to warfare texts. Though I knew I'd never participate in some awful war, I loved figuring out how and why battle machines worked. I remember that in one case I was able to scale down the plans for ballistae and catapults from which my siblings were able to make (and then sell) toys. My attention to detail caught Zaria's interest. She put in a good word to the head librarian (a haughty Grey Elf named Daeven Tatharchir), who soon had me proofing documents for inconsistencies and forgeries.

It was this job that would set me on the path of my life's adventure.

While I enjoyed reading in general, seeing the same types of documents before me day after day became staid; I soon became bored of the whole endeavour. I would often daydream about sailing ships and rows of windmills while giving my daily share of documents only a cursory glance. One day, something unusual snapped me out of my reverie - I saw my first ever Amnian Letter of Marque. It was made out to Vargas "Blood 'n Guts" Cavenaugh, captain of The Dirty Bitch. I did not know anything about this captain, but I knew that an official Letter was always inked in gold and easily worth over a thousand golden crowns. I started to tremble with nerves, knowing that a wrong judgement could be very costly for me and the church. I asked Zaria to oversee my work. She told me that she trusted my judgement, but watched over me all the same as I hoisted magnifying glass to eye and examined the writ. My face blanched. The ink appeared to be made of gold, but somehow I just knew that the ink was only gold in color. I advised Zaria of the forgery. She thanked me with a smile that told me she already knew the truth of my discovery and took away the offending document. I felt very proud of myself. One of the first blessings bestowed upon a Goldeyes is the ability to discern true metal from false. My discovery of the false document reinforced my faith, that I was truly one of Waukeen's chosen. I was very excited to learn more of the mysteries of Waukeen.

I returned home late in the day to find a group of sea-scented humans speaking to my worried-looking parents. As I approached, one of the men turned to me and sneered, "Ah, there's the troublesome whelp now." The man identified himself as Vargas Cavenaugh. He drew a sabre from his sash and pointed it at me. He stated plainly that he didn't like people meddling in his affairs, adding that he hardly considered my kind a 'people' at all. He accentuated his point by kicking my father in the gut. Vargas swore that if any other documentation regarding his ship got unnecessary attention, he would recoup his losses any way he saw fit. He added that halfling children fetch a fine price at the slave markets, then left, laughing all the while.

I panicked. I told my parents I was quitting my job right then and there. My dad shook his head, then went on to explain that Cavenaugh worked for one of the more prominent Merchant Guilds, and that this wasn't the first time that the drunken captain had come to cause trouble. Father added that the captain was nothing more than a bully and an extortionist, but as long as Cavenaugh was under the protection of the Guild, there was little that he or any of the Quick Folk could do. I told my father that I had to make this right, that I couldn't be a burden on the family.

That very night, I gathered up the items and coin gifted to me by the church and slipped away from home.[/sblock]I also chose an optional Merchant background from the PHB2 and assigned a +2 bonus to my Diplomacy skill.

Last edited:

jbear

First Post
Hi there :) Are you still (re)recruiting?

If so I'd be interested in joining.

On the off-chance that there is a slot open for me, my first question would be:
'What characters are in the group so far?'

Voda Vosa

First Post
Hi there :) Are you still (re)recruiting?

If so I'd be interested in joining.

On the off-chance that there is a slot open for me, my first question would be:
'What characters are in the group so far?'

Sorry mate, we are full! In case of any drop, I'll PM you.

jbear

First Post
No worries. Yeah I found the other thread and saw how extended it was already, and kind of had a feeling the group was full.

Have fun! ( You know where to find me if you need me! :) )

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Lysandros 'Sandy' Belmades, level 1
Wow, it's been nearly a year since I made this character. I've actually played and run a bit of 4e since then, and how the game has grown in that short year...

Chalk up another great concept that may never again see the light of day. :/

Voda Vosa

First Post
I have to say that I didn't forgot about this game. I got massively sidetracked, and with all these delays I really don't expect much people to still be interested. We had a few drops which didn't really stimulate me to push forward. I'll warp it up, if you think appropriate, to give it an end. I don't like loose ends.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases