RPGA Membership?

Lhorgrim

Explorer
Why would the RPGA not make it as easy as possible to become a member?

I got an email from WotC last Wednesday, telling me about the D&D Gameday to be held three days later on Saturday.:erm:

I have been running a game at my FLGS for people interested in 4E, and I thought running the gameday event would be a good draw for new gamers. The owner of my FLGS is very supportive of gaming, and I'm sure it helps business when gamers buy books or snacks while we're at the store.

Anyway, the email I got from WotC had a link if I wanted to run the Gameday event, so I thought I'd see if there was still time to set it up.

I found out I couldn't sign up to run the adventure without being an RPGA member. No problem, I've wanted to sign up for membership for some time. The trick is that I can't sign up on line, I have to go to an RPGA event and get a card. No problem, I'll just check the list of upcoming events and find one somewhere close to my town in Central KY. I went through 22 pages of upcoming events, and I didn't find a single event in KY for the near future. I did find an event in Richmond KY (about a 45 minute drive) in a couple months, but it is listed as a "placeholder" with no DM information.

I would have figured Lexington KY (35 minute drive) would have some RPGA events, but I didn't find any.

So. what do I have to do to get one of these coveted RPGA applications? Do I really have to drive to Ohio, Indiana, or Tennessee?

And again, why does the RPGA make it this difficult to join?

I know this has been something of a rant, but if anyone knows how I can join without crossing state lines I would appreciate it.:)

D'karr

Adventurer
Why would the RPGA not make it as easy as possible to become a member?

I got an email from WotC last Wednesday, telling me about the D&D Gameday to be held three days later on Saturday.:erm:

I have been running a game at my FLGS for people interested in 4E, and I thought running the gameday event would be a good draw for new gamers. The owner of my FLGS is very supportive of gaming, and I'm sure it helps business when gamers buy books or snacks while we're at the store.

Anyway, the email I got from WotC had a link if I wanted to run the Gameday event, so I thought I'd see if there was still time to set it up.

I found out I couldn't sign up to run the adventure without being an RPGA member. No problem, I've wanted to sign up for membership for some time. The trick is that I can't sign up on line, I have to go to an RPGA event and get a card. No problem, I'll just check the list of upcoming events and find one somewhere close to my town in Central KY. I went through 22 pages of upcoming events, and I didn't find a single event in KY for the near future. I did find an event in Richmond KY (about a 45 minute drive) in a couple months, but it is listed as a "placeholder" with no DM information.

I would have figured Lexington KY (35 minute drive) would have some RPGA events, but I didn't find any.

So. what do I have to do to get one of these coveted RPGA applications? Do I really have to drive to Ohio, Indiana, or Tennessee?

And again, why does the RPGA make it this difficult to join?

I know this has been something of a rant, but if anyone knows how I can join without crossing state lines I would appreciate it.:)

This is one of the most heard complaints I've seen, and still it is near impossible to get it worked out. It's a catch-22 if you are the guy trying to organize games.

Contact me by e-mail and I'll get you what you need.

raven0282 at yahoo dot com

Thanks,
-Vic

Drkfathr1

First Post
Wow...you can't register online now?

What year is this? Maybe they should figure a way to integrate this into the brand-spanking shiny new DDI.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Wow...you can't register online now?

What year is this? Maybe they should figure a way to integrate this into the brand-spanking shiny new DDI.

Unfortunately, they discovered how fun it is to get spammed by people who created accounts and never used them.

I joined online in the days when you could do so (just as well, given my location), but then people made it really difficult (and expensive) for them to keep allowing registration online.

Cheers!

Solodan

First Post
It is hard at first, yes. But an RPGA membership without a community of RPGA memberships is pretty worthless (except in cases like yours andd mine, when you want to get somethign started).

Note, RPGA membership is now the same as DCI membership, so if you can find a Magic: The Gathering event nearby you can also get a card.

I personally was in the same boat you were - I wanted a card but couldn't get one. It was a a driving reason to go to GENCON that year just to get RPGA. Course, the week after that they blow up the system and let DCI numbers go, so the one I've had for years suddenly works.

Bold or Stupid

First Post
This is one of the most heard complaints I've seen, and still it is near impossible to get it worked out. It's a catch-22 if you are the guy trying to organize games.

Contact me by e-mail and I'll get you what you need.

raven0282 at yahoo dot com

Thanks,
-Vic

Is it okay if I contact you as well? I'm UK based, and I'd love to join.

Is there any way for someone to get a membership through thier FLGS? It would be nice if WOTC could issue memberships through the retailer so folks in outlying areas could get things up and running. If there are enough gamers in an area to support a game shop then membership shouldn't be such an obstacle.

Drkfathr1

First Post
Unfortunately, they discovered how fun it is to get spammed by people who created accounts and never used them.

I joined online in the days when you could do so (just as well, given my location), but then people made it really difficult (and expensive) for them to keep allowing registration online.

Cheers!

Which is the cost of doing business. That's just the nature of doing such things online, but no reason to really make it that difficult for new folks to join.

Kind of self-defeating.

filthgrinder

First Post
Is there any way for someone to get a membership through thier FLGS? It would be nice if WOTC could issue memberships through the retailer so folks in outlying areas could get things up and running. If there are enough gamers in an area to support a game shop then membership shouldn't be such an obstacle.

Thats pretty much how it works. Head over to your FLGS and ask for an RPGA card or a DCI card. As noted above, it's the same thing. I went to an LFR event, grabbed a card and signed up really quickly. I also took the DM test and passed so now I can schedule my own events if I so chose.

But you basically need to pick up a card from a store or at an event in order to join. I can "kinda" understand why. You need to go out into the community to join. This action steps gets you out and about, so it's not just you sitting home along anti-social and joining, and then never getting out to the other RPGA members in the area.

Remove ads